Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Scintilla posted:

On the 4th another interview is broadcast featuring a merc group who only pilot Marauders. Kooky, but hey, the Marauder is a fine battlemech.

e: update in quoted post

biosterous fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Slavvy posted:

The biggest problem it has is being mediocre while looking super cool

Many such cases

BattleTech runs on the "rule of cool". Not superhard, but pretty close.

Is it possible for me to run this software on my system and just play solo? Because I really like how it seems to give news updates from the wider universe, which is awesome.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Mekhq has a whole campaign system you can play against the bot (called an atb campaign)

You still have to manage a few things but it works fairly well

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

biosterous posted:

e: update in quoted post

Marauder II :love:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bloody Pom posted:

To bad it'll be like 3050 before we can claw them out of the dragoons hands

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Bloody Pom posted:

and III, and IV, V, respectively weighing 55, 35, and 130 tons :yayclod:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

this is haraam

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Captain Foo posted:

this is haraam

Whatever you say Kerensky, Amaris doesn't play by your rules!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why does the 130 ton one have fighter plane wings

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Superheavy mechs always seemed pointless to me, because the construction rules for Mechs mean you're always going to end up with something that's equivalent to or outright worse in some way to a 100-tonner. Sure, you could make a lumbering 130-ton monstrosity that moves 2 hexes in a straight line on flat, clear terrain, but internal space and heat are such hard restrictions on weapon loadout that you might as well just use an Annihilator.

Guess it makes sense that the only notable superheavy outside of Wobbie/Dark Age nonsense was an Amaris Fever Dream Special.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 24, 2023

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

They have one (1) bigly situational non obvious advantage in that they fire from three levels of elevation and so can bypass some terrain.

But mostly it's fun to push around 200 tons of metal, mostly when you also have a spotter and also have sacrificed some crits and mass to carry some artillery so you can't really be range bullied.

Now you may think that that's nothing that two Annies can't do better and you'll be entirely right, it's all about sending a message.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Even in roguetech the only one I ever have use for is the one with railguns

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

SIGSEGV posted:

They have one (1) bigly situational non obvious advantage in that they fire from three levels of elevation and so can bypass some terrain.

But mostly it's fun to push around 200 tons of metal, mostly when you also have a spotter and also have sacrificed some crits and mass to carry some artillery so you can't really be range bullied.

Now you may think that that's nothing that two Annies can't do better and you'll be entirely right, it's all about sending a message.

Indirect fire is for cowards and vehicle crews. The Clans were right about one thing: If you aren't willing to fight your opponent face to face then you don't belong in a Battlemech :colbert:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Bloody Pom posted:

Superheavy mechs always seemed pointless to me, because the construction rules for Mechs mean you're always going to end up with something that's equivalent to or outright worse in some way to a 100-tonner. Sure, you could make a lumbering 130-ton monstrosity that moves 2 hexes in a straight line on flat, clear terrain, but internal space and heat are such hard restrictions on weapon loadout that you might as well just use an Annihilator.

Guess it makes sense that the only notable superheavy outside of Wobbie/Dark Age nonsense was an Amaris Fever Dream Special.

in MW5, they at least have the benefit of being able to equip two engine cores, so they can actually move pretty drat fast at the cost of sacrificing either some armour or weaponry

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Bloody Pom posted:

There's a sweet spot around 125 tons where you can add an XL Engine and Endo-Steel structure and get a 3/5 movement profile with 57 tons worth of weapons /equipment space (60 tons if you use Ferro Fibrous armour and optimise by shaving off half a ton). Superheavy construction rules also halve the number of crits each weapon / component takes up, and let you cram two ammo bins into the same crit slot, so you have a lot more space to play around with. With that said, Superheavies are extremely niche units and you could easily field a whole lance of heavies /assaults for the cost of building one.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
And then if you're making something that big, expensive, heavy, and easy to flank you'd really best just make it a tripod for the maneuverability advantages.

And since tripods are all silly by default, your superheavy is too.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Miller's Marauders have the right idea, if they are playing BATTLETECH from HBS. The marauders in there are stupidly good.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Xarn posted:

Miller's Marauders have the right idea, if they are playing BATTLETECH from HBS. The marauders in there are stupidly good.

Yeah, in unmodded Heavy Metal they are absolutely gamebreaking with their headcap capabilities

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

get me a lance that fields marauders and catapults then we'll talk

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Space Kablooey posted:

get me a lance that fields marauders and catapults then we'll talk

I think i see where you’re going with this

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
State of the Company, Castor VI, January 9th 3016

It's the end of our first contract, and now it's time to take stock of the company and prepare for what comes next. Successfully completing all of our missions has boosted our success rate to 100% and boosted our reputation by five points. Our unit composition remains 100% battlemech, all of which are in tip-top shape. Overall, our physical situation is as good as it could possibly be.

I've made a few changes to our lance loadouts. Yukiko now has the Shadow Hawk, Alexander has the Trebuchet, and Mike has the Phoenix Hawk. I've put their original mechs in storage rather than giving them to other pilots; those are their personal mechs, and technically not company property.

Our personnel roster shows that our members are gradually gaining experience. I have a few ideas for how it could be spent, including the possibility of some kind of skill tree / progression mechanic. I'll try to have it up and running by the end of the next contract. Also, we have two new mechwarriors courtesy of the previous personnel vote.

I've updated their bios and have pasted both into the active personnel section in the OP. Let's hope they both manage to redeem themselves.

Here's what's in our hangar at the moment. I've mothballed the unused mechs to save on maintenance. Mothballing can be a bit game-y, so I won't be mass mothballing our active lances unless we finish a contract early again.

Our warehouse is now full of salvage. I've made sure to stock up on armour, but now I notice we're running low on heat sinks. We also have a few ICE vehicle engines we can sell if the need arises.

Here's our financial breakdown. The company has earned just under half a million C-Bills over the course of the contract. We remain cash-poor, but salvage has given us some assets that could be sold in an emergency. Obviously that wouldn't be ideal, but it gives us a bit of leeway.

--

:siren:Contract Vote:siren:

The time has finally come to vote on the next contract! Pick the one that you like best and post your answer in the thread below!

Contract A - Undermined

Contract B - Blood and Circuses

Contract C - Cold Reception

Contract D - Boot Camp

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Contract C - Cold Reception

Good combination of payout, loss compensation, and salvage, and it's picking on the Combine.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
C. Money is good, salvage is good, opfor is in poor shape.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Voting C as well. I don't think we're ready for fighting actual warfare yet. I would have preferred D actually, but the payout is a bit low, and if they're not paying for damages in full then get lost.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

as much as i like all the periphery states at the "south" end of the map, C seems like a better choice

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
C is good, but I'm voting Contract D - Boot Camp. Simulated battles, so less danger, and while there's no direct salvage we do get first pick of possibly working Star-League era tech. Plus there's a surprise at the end!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I would vote D, if only because we aren't trained enough to handle the tougher fights yet.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
C

I would love to pick B or D because they sound like a lot of fun. But we’re in kind of an unsteady position financially. Picking either one and then flubbing an engagement could be the end of the company. C is a bit safer, and we have confirmed salvage from the enemy to grab at and a better monthly pay.

If we had like, a million more C-Bills in our account I would absolutely jump at B or D though

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

C looks good to me too!

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
D, because I have a soft spot for the Aurigans

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Clearly, working for the Draconis Combine is the best choice. There's no way working directly for one of the five great houses could go wrong! A

Plus, if you take too many missions against the Draconis Combine, they're likely to throw a battalion at you the next time you take a mission on one of their borders.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Scintilla, could you elaborate further on what the various Command Rights values are in these contracts? Do they have an impact on decision-making during battles?

jkq
Nov 26, 2022
Voting D, and hoping that the surprise is "playing" the HBS campaign afterwards. :)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Command Rights is relatively straightforward.

Independent means the company is free to pick and choose how, where, and when it fights. If an enemy company lands and the mercs decide to play guerillas, they can.

It's fairly rare for a small command to be offered independent contracts; it's typically only done as a way to save face or for plausible deniability. If you see independent command rights on a raid there's a good chance your employer thinks you're all going to die.

Liaison means the company has been saddled with a liaison officer who is responsible for making those command decisions. Liaison officers can be persuaded, but if they say jump the mercs have to say 'how high.' There's also usually a penalty if they die; but they often come with their own BattleMech and depending on the house or mercenary command it could be a really solid 'Mech. You can, in theory, disobey a liaison officer if they're being obstinate; but it'll go before a tribunal and you could (will, if you failed) be charged with breaching contract.

It should be noted, since one of our options is the Draconis Combine: some Liaison officers can be pretty chill; but DCMS liaison officers almost never are. They consider 'babysitting duty' to be beneath them and they will absolutely punish the unit for anything they think they can get away with (In this era you could get someone cool like Minobu Tetsuhara; but that's a rarity). It should also be noted: the Draconis Combine assigning you a Liaison officer is actually a sign of trust. It means they think you might be able to operate independently. Operating under direct DCMS command is significantly worse. The Draconis Combine almost never offers Independent command rights outside of suicide missions (and even then they're likely to assign you a Liaison to make sure you suicide properly).

House command means you're under control of the local military authority. If an enemy company lands and they tell you to stand directly under their DropShips to try to convince them to leave, you stand directly under their DropShips or you're at risk of breaching contract.

With some Great Houses this is NBD, they'll basically give you independence and just assign you objectives to complete. But with others they are absolutely hiring you to catch bullets with your teeth so their regular troops can keep their paint looking pretty and you will catch those bullets.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 24, 2023

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

anakha posted:

Scintilla, could you elaborate further on what the various Command Rights values are in these contracts? Do they have an impact on decision-making during battles?

Just from the MekHQ definition: House and Liason both mean the employer determines which of your forces are deployed to any given mission, and Liason means you'll have a employer liason mech with you that needs to survive or you lose contract status. Independent is what it says on the tin, you determine which forces you send, and the employer is pretty hands off.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

anakha posted:

PoptartsNinja has explained this quite well. Mechanically, it only matters if you choose to play an AtB (Against the Bot) campaign, where it determines how many NPC allies your employer will deploy to help you.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
And if you are playing AtB Liason and Independent are fine, avoid House contracts because they're big fans of "There's a company of assault mechs attacking a civilian outpost, you must defend! Who to send... assault lance, no, second assault lance, no, wait, what's this, four Wasp LAMs? That''ll do. Go destroy 80% of the enemy forces before they kill the three fuel trucks and one machine gun turret that you have for support"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Just for funzies, in this era this is about what you should expect from each of the Great Houses, command-rights wise:

Federated Suns
House Command: Usually pretty safe
Liason Command: Unusual for them to offer, usually means they have an objective they don't want to tell you about (higher risk missions)
Independent Command: Either a suicide mission or something they don't care about. Pay close attention to the mission target.

Lyran Commonwealth
House Command: Fairly risky, it just depends on who's in control of the local theater and whether or not they're competent.
Liason Command: Usually pretty safe, you'll get a junior officer who may not have Social General poisoning yet... provided they're a Captain or below. Pray you don't get a Major, that's the buy-in rank for most wealthy idiot failchildren. If your liaison is a Major you'll be babysitting them rather than the other way around.
Independent Command: Usually very safe, it means they trust you and want to build better relations with you.

Draconis Combine
House Command: YOU WILL JOIN THE SUICIDE MISSION
Liason Command: As long as you can tolerate your liaison officer, this assignment will probably be pretty safe. The Draconis Combine is hiring you to fight, but they don't assign a Dragon's Tear unless they have to.
Independent Command: We have an emergency suicide mission that needs doing.

Free Worlds League
House Command: Varies
Liason Command: Usually fairly safe
Independent Command: Usually fairly safe

Capellan Confederation
House Command: Usually fairly safe
Liason Command: Usually fairly safe
Independent Command: We have an emergency suicide mission that needs doing.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Azhais posted:

And if you are playing AtB Liason and Independent are fine, avoid House contracts because they're big fans of "There's a company of assault mechs attacking a civilian outpost, you must defend! Who to send... assault lance, no, second assault lance, no, wait, what's this, four Wasp LAMs? That''ll do. Go destroy 80% of the enemy forces before they kill the three fuel trucks and one machine gun turret that you have for support"

Those four Wasp LAMs will also have 6/7 pilots and immediately trip over their own feet as soon as they try to move. You'll also be penalised if any of them die. Against the Bot can be really fun, but it's still got issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I suppose that's the sort of thing you can GM edit?