Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Gunthen
Apr 10, 2011

khwarezm posted:

Crazy thought, could Prigozhin have considered defecting to NATO or even Ukraine? Would he have brought much of value if he did so?

Also, it kind of feels like this is still an extremely unideal circumstance for Putin when he had to wait two months to do this and even then it still had to be an 'accident' rather than an official execution for treason.

There is a lot of speculation in China and Russia that Wagner accepted $6.2 Billion from the CIA at the start of the coup. Zero real evidence for it, but it could be pretty easy to make many Russians think the CIA took that plane down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Mederlock posted:

Definitely not, who in NATO would willingly take in Sledgehammer murder man, implicated in war crimes and other atrocities in Ukraine and Africa? Ukraine would string the guy up too. His best bet was taking all his cash and costume wardrobe, and disappearing to South America or Africa or Asia or whatever. His ego wouldn't let him give up the reins of Wagner, and he got got.

Well its more the thought that even if he ends up in a relatively cushy jail its generally better than a grave. I dunno, I was just thinking of his options, if he ran off to somewhere in Asia, Africa or South America if he didn't have control of Wagner there's nothing stopping an agent with an icepick shadowing him. If he stayed in Russia, well, we see what happens. If he totally restricted himself to Belarus that might have worked. I just feel like going to Russia's most open adversaries was probably his best option if his highest priority was simply living, but then that would also mean completely abandoning any future prospects he'd have in terms of influencing Russia's political scene.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Fill Baptismal posted:

Yeah what the gently caress was Prighozin thinking? That you can march on the capital, force the government to detonate highways to stop your advance, shoot down military aircraft along the way, seize cities, and then just be like "ok well, point made, let's all move on and be adults about this." ?

I don't think this death serves as that much of the deterrent tbh. If I was someone else with Prighozin's resources I'd be quietly thinking "I could have pulled this off because I'm not a loving idiot"
He never expected to get anywhere close to the capital.

He expected to be seriously opposed from the the beginning and then he would negotiate and be the hero to prevent brotherly shedding of blood...except he was never opposed. And the further he went, expecting surely I'll be stopped soon, the worse it got.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 24, 2023

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010
Everything about this assassination is so dumb I wouldn't believe anything about it, except its the direct result of an equally dumb coup attempt so it kind of evens out.

hydrocarbonenema
Mar 4, 2017

Fun Shoe
Powerful mercenary groups required to maintain overseas influence due to a sclerotic military-> waging a useless and bloody war with said military whose spectacular failure lead to bringing in the mercenary group and giving them more power-> coup attempt by mercenary group -> open assassination instead of even the semblance of using an actual state apparatus to bring the coup leader/mercenary group to “justice.”

It’s like the Bronze Age or age of the samurai over there… loving Conan the barbarian level statecraft.

Russia is a loving mess. I know this isn’t a novel insight but goodness gracious. When it all blows up over there it’s going to be a serious problem for everyone, not just the Ukrainians.

hydrocarbonenema fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 24, 2023

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

hydrocarbonenema posted:

Powerful mercenary groups required to maintain overseas influence due to a sclerotic military-> waging a useless and bloody war with said military whose spectacular failure lead to bringing in the mercenary group and giving them more power-> coup attempt by mercenary group -> open assassination instead of even the semblance of using an actual state apparatus to bring the coup leader/mercenary group to “justice.”

It’s like the loving Bronze Age or age of the samurai over there… loving Conan the barbarian level statecraft.

Russia is a loving mess.

Its honestly difficult to believe that this is something happening in Europe in the 21st century, at this rate I wouldn't be surprised to hear Landsknechts are going to rebel when their payment fails to come through again and they ransack the countryside as the Janissaries prepare for another push on Vienna.

Like I had some impression that there was a semblance of normality in Russia after the bad days of the 90s before this war and that Putin's regime and corruption were on a somewhat more sophisticated level, but no, it really just run as if the Mafia controls the world's largest country at the end of the day. Hell that feels insulting to the actual Mafia.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 24, 2023

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

evil_bunnY posted:

I really, really don't understand how prigozhin could think he'd ever be allowed to step foot on putin's soil ever again.

Now, to be entirely fair, that dude was several thousand feet too high to take any steps :v:

But yeah I cannot wrap my head around Big Prigo doing anything except running to the deepest hole in Africa he can find and drinking the rest of his life away. This was pretty obviously going to happen since the minute he aborted his mutiny and every single person on Earth who wasn't him called it.

khwarezm posted:

Its honestly difficult to believe that this is something happening in Europe in the 21st century, at this rate I wouldn't be surprised to hear Landsknechts are going to rebel when their payment fails to come through again and they ransack the countryside as the Janissaries prepare for another push on Vienna.

Like I had some impression that there was a semblance of normality in Russia after the bad days of the 90s before this war and that Putin's regime and corruption were on a somewhat more sophisticated level, but no, it really just run as if the Mafia controls the world's largest country at the end of the day. Hell that feels insulting to the actual Mafia.

At least if an underboss makes a play for control he knows drat well he's gotta ice the don or he's going to be dissolved in a barrel of acid. This is like if he took out a loyal capo and was driving up to Fat Tony's mansion then turned around and said "Tony ya big putz, I was only kidding around!"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's neat that Putin's Russia has had it's own dumber Kornilov Affair. Except instead of escaping prison successfully, Big Prig fell down some stairs and died.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

whydirt posted:

He was so close to reaching Diamond Medalion status too…

The Something Awful Forums > Debate and Discussion > War in Ukraine CE: He was so close to Diamond Medallion status

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I apologize for the twitter links but it is still a good news aggregator:

Unconfirmed stuff about Wagner's response.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1694524481409061041

And a funny side note.

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1694435817752506778

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
While the current thread title is good, is it too late to throw into the ring my idea?

War in Ukraine CE: From Caterer to Cratered

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
How about a variant on the current one:
The defenestration of Prig

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

OddObserver posted:

:golfclap:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Morrow posted:

eh, the first time around the army and security forces didn't move to oppose them, but it seemed more out of paralyzed confusion and maybe apathy than a show of support. i doubt a stripped down force that's reacting rather than calling the tune gets very far now that the party line has clearly been set. repeated coup attempts after a force has backed down tend to go pretty differently because surprise and momentum count for so much

OddObserver posted:

glad the mods where on top of this

Caros
May 14, 2008

New footage from moments before the crash.

All kidding aside, it was wild to timeline scan some Russian twitter morons today to see them praising prig barely two months ago as they breathlessly report on his assassination and how manly it makes Putin today.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Morrow posted:

Kyiv Independent is a poo poo source and they link here to basically a Ukrainian propaganda outlet, so it is best to ignore since it is most likely fantasy clickbait

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

eh, the first time around the army and security forces didn't move to oppose them, but it seemed more out of paralyzed confusion and maybe apathy than a show of support. i doubt a stripped down force that's reacting rather than calling the tune gets very far now that the party line has clearly been set. repeated coup attempts after a force has backed down tend to go pretty differently because surprise and momentum count for so much

I think it is more that the Russian military aren’t going to die to protect Putin. The best scenario is what we saw last time; none of them do anything.

You have to remember that especially the closer to Moscow you get the more you have people who are wealthy and/or connected that have choice assignments and aren’t going to do anything that might get them injured or killed.

Honestly if Wagner is mobilizing on a run to Moscow it might serve as the rallying cry to topple Putin. We all saw how the Wagner people were treated by the public. With Prigozhin now dead it might strengthen their support.

It is all a very bad situation any way you try to handle it which Putin needlessly created, much like Ukraine. His best option was to have not do what he did.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

While the current thread title is good, is it too late to throw into the ring my idea?

From traiteur to traitor.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Is there anyone else really publicly known in Wagner? I would assume they have their leadership chain laid out, but other than the two on the plane are any underneath them actually known?

I mean surprised Putin hasn't/doesn't try, put in some random lackey to take Wagner over now.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

See this just needed to be stripped down. “War in Ukraine CE: Putin’s craterer”

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gunthen posted:

There is a lot of speculation in China and Russia that Wagner accepted $6.2 Billion from the CIA at the start of the coup. Zero real evidence for it, but it could be pretty easy to make many Russians think the CIA took that plane down.

These CIA fellas seem to run a pretty tight ship.

Why not surrender to them?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
War in Ukraine CE: Last Ride of the Valkyries

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Djarum posted:

I think it is more that the Russian military aren’t going to die to protect Putin. The best scenario is what we saw last time; none of them do anything.

You have to remember that especially the closer to Moscow you get the more you have people who are wealthy and/or connected that have choice assignments and aren’t going to do anything that might get them injured or killed.

Honestly if Wagner is mobilizing on a run to Moscow it might serve as the rallying cry to topple Putin. We all saw how the Wagner people were treated by the public. With Prigozhin now dead it might strengthen their support.

It is all a very bad situation any way you try to handle it which Putin needlessly created, much like Ukraine. His best option was to have not do what he did.

the former thread title was a joke about how little open support of wanger appeared in moscow during their coup attempt. no formations went over to them on their march, no spontaneous uprising happened anywhere else

the previous coup attempt showed how thin the russian state is stretched, and how a culture of apathy, rear end covering, and capricious policy have completely sapped initiative at all levels of the state. it did not demonstrate a mutinous level of dissension in the general ranks. perhaps most damning of all, prigozhin clearly had doubts about his ability to get to moscow and directly implement his demands, given the fact that he ultimately folded

russian units are holding the line while the weight of artillery is against them in the south, they're making probing advances in the northeast. as lovely as their conditions may be, they're clearly still willing to die for putin, or at least on his orders. a wagner column making a putsch attempt without the majority of their heavy equipment and the element of surprise seems exceedingly unlikely to once again meet no resistance at all

maybe the grinding summer of no troop rotations in the face of ukraines counter offensive has fundamentally changed the mood in the russian army, and this could be a kiel mutiny moment, but it seems a slim chance to pin any hopes on

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

So much for all those incursions into Poland hype, huh?

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the former thread title was a joke about how little open support of wanger appeared in moscow during their coup attempt. no formations went over to them on their march, no spontaneous uprising happened anywhere else

According to a friend of mine in St Petertsburg, Prigozhin masks were sold out there during the coup and a load of people wore them around town. Make of that what you will.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

So much for all those incursions into Poland hype, huh?

Truly a dastardly plot to undermine PiS support weeks before elections in Poland!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Djarum posted:

We all saw how the Wagner people were treated by the public.

Wasn't that mostly in Rostov-on-Don, which also happened to be the hometown of a lot of the core Wagner rank and file? Not sure if a hometown advantage translates to national willingness to rise.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Tomn posted:

Wasn't that mostly in Rostov-on-Don, which also happened to be the hometown of a lot of the core Wagner rank and file? Not sure if a hometown advantage translates to national willingness to rise.

Yep and a hundred cheering people is not a sign of anything

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

This is SO good, I can't believe it.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Daduzi posted:

According to a friend of mine in St Petertsburg, Prigozhin masks were sold out there during the coup and a load of people wore them around town. Make of that what you will.

My main question to that is: Were Prigozhin masks kept in stock?

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Discendo Vox posted:

War in Ukraine CE: Last Ride of the Valkyries

Not as good as the current one but really clever!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
These Prigozhin assassination conspiracy theories are beneath D&D. It's like Epstein all over again. Planes crash.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 24, 2023

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Valiantman posted:

Not as good as the current one but really clever!

I couldn't think of any gottardamerung puns

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

thotsky posted:

These Prigozhin assassination conspiracy theories are beneath D&D. It's like Epstein all over again. Planes crash.

Prigozhin crashed his plane himself?

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Rust Martialis posted:

Prigozhin crashed his plane himself?

Nah, Russia Today says it could have been his pilot's Covid vaccine caused heart attack after all.

https://twitter.com/golub/status/1694651490202259747

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

:tinfoil:
Pilot had Sputnik vaccine.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

alex314 posted:

S-300 vaccine

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
The pilot clearly was an astronaut at heart and decided to replicate the success of the most recent Russian moon landing :v:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

alex314 posted:

Wait, you mean it was the Russian vaccine that had the 5G nanomachines in it the whole time? I feel profoundly ripped off. Where are my nanomachines, Pfizer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
GUR claims they made a commando raid in the Crimea this morning to destroy a S-400 unit :stare: