Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Spock using telepathy through a wall is not something that became a regular part of the canon, is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hell, ESP in general got largely dropped outside of betazoids, didn't it? Makes sense since TOS came out during that time when it was a relatively mainstream belief that ESP in humans was real.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

Spock using telepathy through a wall is not something that became a regular part of the canon, is it?

If it is then so is Spock hypnotising people by staring at them.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

He sensed V'ger from Vulcan in TMP

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

He sensed V'ger from Vulcan in TMP

And the death of 400 Vulcans on the Intrepid. Vulcan telepathy has always been able to be distant when something is strong enough.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Didn't whatsherface imply that it was his human side that picked up on V'ger though?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It was his Vulcan side that made him physically able to, it was his human side that made him receptive.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
In A Taste of Armageddon he controls a guard through a wall.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

MuddyFunster posted:

I cannot imagine the sweaty fury between parts 1 and 2 of Best of Both Worlds, holy poo poo I would have exploded.
I've probably told this story before, but here goes, and yes, I know how old the story makes me, thank you. I was back in college talking with a friend before class started. I knew him to be a fellow traveller of sorts, so I said, "Man, I haven't seen Star Trek in like a year, but there was a two-parter on last night that blew my mind!"

He looks at me, really pissed, and said, "I've been waiting six months to find out how that turns out, and here you are stumbling into it by accident!"

I don't remember for sure but I'm pretty certain the TV station (the entities that used to control what you could watch at any given time on one of four different channels) played part 1 right before part 2, because I wouldn't have been as blown away by the show if it had been the recap plus part 2.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I couldn't even tell you how many years I waited between the end of ReBoot season 2 and seeing season 3.

Apparently it was a three year gap and I guess it was five years for me because event though ReBoot season 3 aired in 1999, I didn't know it existed until 2001.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Why can't they teleport whole ships inside, why dock at all?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Khanstant posted:

Why can't they teleport whole ships inside, why dock at all?

I faintly recall Picard once ordering a shuttle to be beamed into the shuttlebay, but they couldn't do it because reasons.

It may have been that time in the episode Coming of Age when a teenager stole the shuttle and was going to go join the circus or something. Not 100% sure of that though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah we've seen them beam mid size shuttles a few times, but that seems to be the upper limit of size for the Federation.

Other civilisations can do more. The Voth beamed Voyager inside.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

If the Voth Tuvix a starship, does it also Tuvix the crew?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

If the Voth Tuvix a starship, does it also Tuvix the crew?

They reverse Tuvixed the whole ship and crew in an episode of Red Dwarf, so surely the inverse is possible.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Boxturret posted:

They reverse Tuvixed the whole ship and crew in an episode of Red Dwarf, so surely the inverse is possible.
Red Dwarf is much more rigorous about the science than Trek.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Actually the original stayed too, so it was more of a Thrivix situation.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Ep 5 of season 2, "Cardassians," is a good one, but I feel like this Dickheadian cellphone salesman unnecessarily muddies the plot at the start of the episode by telling Bashir that the Cardassian orphan, Rugal, is regularly beaten and berated by his Bajoran foster parents. Not only does there seem to be no truth to these statements at all, but we never find out why Clever Glans feels the need to so confidently besmirch the parents.

The long con of Gul Dukat's feels like a bit of a stretch too - "let's dump my political rival's thought-to-be-dead son in a Bajoran orphanage and hopefully we'll be able to do something useful with that in a few years". I suppose you could see it as just having been Dukat's revenge at the time, not wanting to actually kill the kid but still robbing the guy of his heir. The episode does a lot to start developing the Cardassians and their society more, and I like how bleakly it ends - Rugal goes home with the father he neither knows nor wants, and his father blows off Sisko's suggestion he might do something about the other abandoned Cardassian war orphans - since, as Garak states earlier, orphans have no status in Cardassian society.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Ok so I've been convinced to watch a small portion of Voyager with my wife. It's gonna be a combination big story beats, high points and hate watching, and I'm not watching more than ten episodes (not counting two parters). What changes would y'all make to this list?

1x1 Caretaker
2x15 Threshold
2x23 The Thaw
2x24 Tuvix
3x26 Scorpion
4x8 Year of Hell
5x1 Night
5x12 Bride of Chaotica
6x11 Fair Haven
6x17 Spirit Folk

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I never appreciated this before because I've never watched TNG in order until now, but Wesley appearing out of nowhere in Parallels for the first time in two seasons is genuinely hilarious.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Body and Soul is hilarious.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Soul Dentist posted:

Ok so I've been convinced to watch a small portion of Voyager with my wife. It's gonna be a combination big story beats, high points and hate watching, and I'm not watching more than ten episodes (not counting two parters). What changes would y'all make to this list?

1x1 Caretaker
2x15 Threshold
2x23 The Thaw
2x24 Tuvix
3x26 Scorpion
4x8 Year of Hell
5x1 Night
5x12 Bride of Chaotica
6x11 Fair Haven
6x17 Spirit Folk

Drop Spirit Folk and do Endgame. You did the premiere, do the finale.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
A friend of mine joined our Star Trek Adventures game without having any knowledge of any of the shows at all. She’s not really the type to take recommendations because she prefers to just explore stuff on her own, and somehow she settled on watching Voyager all the way through.

So far she’s watched the entire first season in the span of only a few days and it’s honestly been really really fun watching her discover Trek staples like technobabble, nonsense science, etc. Voyager isn’t great Trek, but it’s easy to see why people find it so accessible.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Just watched Year of Hell. It’s a pretty good two-parter and Kurtwood Smith always makes a good villain, but the whole time it was driving me nuts that they never acknowledged that Kes had specifically warned Janeway about the Krenim previously. I’m sure I’m not the first to notice this. It seems like a pretty big oversight unless I’m missing something.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Soul Dentist posted:

1x1 Caretaker
2x15 Threshold
2x23 The Thaw
2x24 Tuvix
3x26 Scorpion
4x8 Year of Hell
5x1 Night
5x12 Bride of Chaotica
6x11 Fair Haven
6x17 Spirit Folk

I'd drop The Thaw or maybe Night and do a decent Doctor episode like Living Witness

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Don’t even acknowledge the loving Irish town holodeck poo poo episodes let alone both of them

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Just watched Year of Hell. It’s a pretty good two-parter and Kurtwood Smith always makes a good villain, but the whole time it was driving me nuts that they never acknowledged that Kes had specifically warned Janeway about the Krenim previously. I’m sure I’m not the first to notice this. It seems like a pretty big oversight unless I’m missing something.

Yeah, I remember being really bothered by that. You put in some foreshadowing and then you don't even use it?

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I'd drop The Thaw or maybe Night and do a decent Doctor episode like Living Witness

I'd keep the Thaw but will also throw in my hat for Living Witness, cause it's probably my favorite Voyager episode.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Living Witness is great not only because it's a good episode, but because it establishes that the doctor has a backup which, in the finest tradition of Voyager, they never acknowledge again.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

But also,

jeeves posted:

Don’t even acknowledge the loving Irish town holodeck poo poo episodes let alone both of them

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

davidspackage posted:

Yeah, I remember being really bothered by that. You put in some foreshadowing and then you don't even use it?

They don’t really use the foreshadowing but there is a neat deliberate continuity trick - Seven ends up in a Jeffries tube loving around with the Krenim chroniton torpedo in Kes’ place. So Voyager’s actions between “Before and After” and “Year of Hell” change their response, and are what allows Voyager to set up their shields to negate the torpedos.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The writers were also toying around with the idea of making Year of Hell a season long, but got blocked. So maybe the previous Kes episode had the previous idea in mind.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

davidspackage posted:

Ep 5 of season 2, "Cardassians," is a good one, but I feel like this Dickheadian cellphone salesman unnecessarily muddies the plot at the start of the episode by telling Bashir that the Cardassian orphan, Rugal, is regularly beaten and berated by his Bajoran foster parents. Not only does there seem to be no truth to these statements at all, but we never find out why Clever Glans feels the need to so confidently besmirch the parents.

The long con of Gul Dukat's feels like a bit of a stretch too - "let's dump my political rival's thought-to-be-dead son in a Bajoran orphanage and hopefully we'll be able to do something useful with that in a few years". I suppose you could see it as just having been Dukat's revenge at the time, not wanting to actually kill the kid but still robbing the guy of his heir. The episode does a lot to start developing the Cardassians and their society more, and I like how bleakly it ends - Rugal goes home with the father he neither knows nor wants, and his father blows off Sisko's suggestion he might do something about the other abandoned Cardassian war orphans - since, as Garak states earlier, orphans have no status in Cardassian society.

What's weird is that we get another one of that guy's species later and it looks almost identical. And they use that same plot device later on with a "here's a person telling a definite lie that disappears" in Second Skin.

I do think the plan he has makes sense because the Cardassians love wheels within wheels. First revenge is "your kid is gone, haha" second is "no they're not, here's another way to say gently caress you"

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

What's a good holodeck hangout? Oh, I know, 19th century Ireland. Nothing bad happened at all!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

cenotaph posted:

What's a good holodeck hangout? Oh, I know, 19th century Ireland. Nothing bad happened at all!

the food scene was killer

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Eighties ZomCom posted:

The writers were also toying around with the idea of making Year of Hell a season long, but got blocked. So maybe the previous Kes episode had the previous idea in mind.

It was because serialization ultimately demanded that Voyager can't have a season-long arch, or even get a 3-episode TV movie which was the second attempt that was also blocked.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Soul Dentist posted:

6x11 Fair Haven
6x17 Spirit Folk
Why do you hate your wife

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

You need to get Meld in there. Both for Neelix strangulation and for Brad Dourif

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Soul Dentist posted:

1x1 Caretaker
2x15 Threshold
2x23 The Thaw
2x24 Tuvix
3x26 Scorpion
4x8 Year of Hell
5x1 Night
5x12 Bride of Chaotica
6x11 Fair Haven
6x17 Spirit Folk

We should stop helping these peopel, you must watch it all as we did - or none. If you can't love trek at Spirit Folk you don't deserve it at BOBW!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why do you hate your wife

They watched all of Enterprise together, watching these two (or anything else from Voyager) should be a walk in the parkcliched stereotypical village.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Watching all of Enterprise but only 10 episodes of Voyager is certainly a choice someone from the mirror universe would make. Maybe next they'll say they love all of Picard but will only watch the first season of TNG.