Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Excellent.

Hoping for another one of the pig with a huge poo poo balanced on its balls.

With Putin as the poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Terry Funk died just so he could smack this face with a two-by-four

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
A few times last night I just said “Yevgeny Prigozhin” to the cadence of “LEEEEROOOOYYYYY JENNNKIIINNNSS” and started chuckling.

Ok I did that during the coup attempt too but it’s still funny.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Shumagorath posted:

A few times last night I just said “Yevgeny Prigozhin” to the cadence of “LEEEEROOOOYYYYY JENNNKIIINNNSS” and started chuckling.

Ok I did that during the coup attempt too but it’s still funny.

Basically this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6l_9reaLz0

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

He had a 33.3% (repeating of course) chance of a successful coup. Unfortunately it was a wipe. Guess he chickened out.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Tigey posted:

Excellent.

Hoping for another one of the pig with a huge poo poo balanced on its balls.

With Putin as the poo poo.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

SirPhoebos posted:

Terry Funk died just so he could smack this face with a two-by-four

That's hacksaw jim duggan Funk had the branding iron

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

:perfect:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Welcome to the Prig Balls website

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

It would be fascinating to find out wtf Prigozhin was thinking with the rebellion and then everything what happened afterwards. I can only assume he realized he was hosed and the rebellion wasn't going to work so had no other choice but to live on some borrowed time? but still, it seems like he had loads of chances to GTFO and try to disappear. maybe he legit thought Putin was gonna go soft on him because they used to be friends lol

it's all so dumb, everything about this war is stupid.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Gnoman posted:

I can't find more details on this yet, but they had in the range of ~50 MLU F-16s, and have already received a significant portion of the F-35s they are replacing the F-16s with. This could be a significant quantity of airframes.

Looking at wikipedia, Norway sold 32 of their F-16s to Romania. Looks like they're donating the last 13 to Ukraine. Which brings the amount to roughly 40 to 70 airframes, depending on the condition of the Dutch airframes.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I expect to see this splashed across Fox before the end of the day

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I like how we spent a year and a half wringing our collective hands about whether giving F-16s to Ukraine would be ~escalation~, then someone finally went and did it, and now there's just a flood of countries dumping all the F-16s they're replacing anyway unto Ukraine. Just like with the tanks. Just like with the long range missiles.

Can we just skip to the part where we give Ukraine the goods next time?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

They've been posting variations on this for the past three or however many months... I'll believe it when they show boots on the ground.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Geisladisk posted:

I like how we spent a year and a half wringing our collective hands about whether giving F-16s to Ukraine would be ~escalation~, then someone finally went and did it, and now there's just a flood of countries dumping all the F-16s they're replacing anyway unto Ukraine. Just like with the tanks. Just like with the long range missiles.

No, we have to go through this process every time to give russia more time to dig in and kill people.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Geisladisk posted:

Ukrainian child: “look, mommy! There’s another moon in the sky!”

Obi-Wan Kenobi: “That’s no moon… it’s a trap!”

Ukrainian mother: “I’m not sure who you are or where you came from, but that’s not a moon or a trap- it’s part of a new weapons package from the US- I believe it’s called a Death Star”

Obi-Wan: “At least it’s fully operational”

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

They've rebranded them as Freedom Stars. Personally I think it was a waste to spend 200 trillion space bucks repainting them but some things never change.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Sedgr posted:

They've rebranded them as Freedom Stars. Personally I think it was a waste to spend 200 trillion space bucks repainting them but some things never change.

Hey, that Pride flag looked great on Instagram.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Getting F-16's is all well and good but will USA give the thumbs up for the good ammo. Namely AIM-120 and AGM-158.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Tai posted:

Getting F-16's is all well and good but will USA give the thumbs up for the good ammo. Namely AIM-120 and AGM-158.

I imagine so, "USA gives anti air missiles to Ukraine" is a lot less controversial because people actually know what fighter jets are but nobody outside of military nerds knows the difference between A2A missiles.

Just like everyone gave Ukraine top of the line self propelled guns like Pzh-2000s basically immediately and nobody gave a poo poo, despite those being probably more serious and impactful weapons than tanks. Because the public doesn't know what the gently caress a self propelled gun is, but they know what tanks are. Tanks are serious weapons you use to fight grown up wars like on TV. Fighter jets are squarely in the "serious military equipment the public knows about" category along with tanks.

It's also easier to justify anti-air missiles as "defensive" weapons, because that artificial distinction matters to idiots.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Tai posted:

AIM-120C is pretty standard NATO kit at this point, so I see no reason why they wouldn't give that. It would give the US a chance to clear out that old inventory to be replaced by the newer, longer range AIM-120D.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

I'm not exactly believing this but it's certainly an interesting scenario: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/wagner-troops-plotting-march-russia-101146813.html?guccounter=1

quote:

Wagner mercenaries were on Thursday reported to be trying to head back into Russia after threatening retaliation over the suspected killing of their leader Yevgeny Prigozhin in a plane crash on the orders of Vladimir Putin.

Reports from Ukraine’s national resistance centre said sources in Belarus, where some of Prigozhin’s fighters have been based, had seen mercenaries dismantling camps and forming convoys to leave the country.

“The convoys are likely heading towards the border with Russia,” the centre said.

The report followed the posting online of a threatening message by a masked man claiming to be a Wagner fighter.

“There’s a lot talk right now about what the Wagner Group will do,” he said. “We can tell you one thing. We are getting started, get ready for us.”

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

Looking at wikipedia, Norway sold 32 of their F-16s to Romania. Looks like they're donating the last 13 to Ukraine. Which brings the amount to roughly 40 to 70 airframes, depending on the condition of the Dutch airframes.

Støre (prime minister) just said that we're probably looking at less than 10 planes.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

I think non military nerds can guess that the AGM is an Air to Ground Missile. Think it's in Battlefield 4.

Wasn't the issue with tanks more about Ukraine not having the training or logistics infrastructure to actually support them? I don't know poo poo I'm just parroting stuff I read on the internet, much of which seemed to indicate that the Abrams would be pretty useless without either sending US troops with them to maintain them or months/years of training for Ukraine.

Idk why the Abrams would be more complicated than an F16, they didn't really touch on that in Battlefield 4

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1694663202653569193#m

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

He was a good ball sack :cry:

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I believe Prig is dead, but I was unaware that he'd been previously been presumed dead in a crash in the Democratic Republic of Congo in 2019.

I reckon we'll be seeing Elvis style sightings and rumours for some time.

Edit: Elvis rumours frequently had him working a blue-collar food service job. Conincidence?!?!?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Disco Pope posted:

I believe Prig is dead, but I was unaware that he'd been previously been presumed dead in a crash in the Democratic Republic of Congo in 2019.

Prigozhin still alive with Tupac today in Serbia 2023 making fast rap for Serbian people :laugh:

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Disco Pope posted:

Edit: Elvis rumours frequently had him working a blue-collar food service job. Conincidence?!?!?

A miserable, bedraggled, old, bald Russian man? How would you ever have a sighting of such a thing?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

kdrudy posted:

A miserable, bedraggled, old, bald Russian man? How would you ever have a sighting of such a thing?

Please, he'll adopt one of his Hank Venture level disguises. "Who is dis...Prigozhin? Nyet! It is I EL LUCHADORE RO'MANCE!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Disco Pope posted:

Please, he'll adopt one of his Hank Venture level disguises. "Who is dis...Prigozhin? Nyet! It is I EL LUCHADORE RO'MANCE!"

"My tongue keeps getting caught in the slit...its maddening!"

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Oldsmobile posted:

I'm not exactly believing this but it's certainly an interesting scenario: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/wagner-troops-plotting-march-russia-101146813.html?guccounter=1

If someone killed the CEO of the company i work for I would probably not try to avenge him. What dweeb mercenaries smh

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It seems like this Crimean landing is big news, or am I reading too much into it? Because it seems to me if you can get behind Russian lines, you can do pretty much what you want for a period of time before they can react. Get in, hit em, get out. And while the damage may not be great, it certainly has to concern the Russians.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Ideally it's a ploy to blow up what they can causing Russia to pull troops from the front to defend the back

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

I think non military nerds can guess that the AGM is an Air to Ground Missile. Think it's in Battlefield 4.

Wasn't the issue with tanks more about Ukraine not having the training or logistics infrastructure to actually support them? I don't know poo poo I'm just parroting stuff I read on the internet, much of which seemed to indicate that the Abrams would be pretty useless without either sending US troops with them to maintain them or months/years of training for Ukraine.

Idk why the Abrams would be more complicated than an F16, they didn't really touch on that in Battlefield 4
Yes I think this was the excuse.

Like obviously you'd have to do training and setting up maintenance etc. but this is solved by... putting the effort to do that ASAP. Instead of doing that, nothing was done for over a year. Then Biden signed off on 31 tanks. Then they started preparing the tanks, only to realize it would take too long so they instead started refurbishing the oldest A1 variants from the 1st gulf war. Then training started in like June or July? And the tanks are still not in the country AFAIK.

I think the much simpler and more consistent explanation is that they didn't want to give them for whatever reason. Maybe Biden didn't want the tanks ruined with cope cages, I dunno.

redshirt posted:

It seems like this Crimean landing is big news, or am I reading too much into it? Because it seems to me if you can get behind Russian lines, you can do pretty much what you want for a period of time before they can react. Get in, hit em, get out. And while the damage may not be great, it certainly has to concern the Russians.
Seems like it was a pretty small raid, so it's going to be a pain in the rear end but not much more on strategic scale

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I have studied North Korea and worked on it as part of a job and the poster you quoted is correct. There's no evidence that the two ministers were executed by anti-aircraft guns, and knowing North Korean execution strategies, it doesn't make sense that they'd take all that time to set up and load the gun when taking them out back immediately and shooting them with a regular rifle will do. Beyond that, Joongang Ilbo is well known to be pretty wild about North Korean claims

It's not defending North Korea if you're just correcting misinformation on them. They're horrific enough with what we actually can verify without having to make up poo poo about them

wow that's really cool

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

redshirt posted:

There's a lot of chatter about dunking some fixed radar installation where the landing was. Best part of a month now, Ukraine has been going fairly hard on AA related stuff. I don't think F-16's now been given the green light is a coincidence. I would guess this has been behind closed door chat for awhile now and Ukraine is preparing for their use of F-16 at a later date.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Seems like it was a pretty small raid, so it's going to be a pain in the rear end but not much more on strategic scale

I think the point is as much political as practical. Much like the Moscow drone attacks, even if the damage they do is too small to matter, it undermines the trust in the regime and support for the war by bringing it "home". Remember, Crimea is supposed to be Russian territory, and now Ukraine is putting boots on the ground there and causing havoc, and Crimea is no longer safe? Your average Russian holidaygoer in Crimea isn't going to feel safe there anymore. They are always going to have the possibility of Ukrainian troops showing up on their nice beaches at the back of their head. Even if the possibility is remote, it is now no longer impossible.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

It's partly "where to repair" but more "with what tools and parts." It was easy for UAF to deal with soviet standard tanks and APCs--especially in the short term when "anything now is better than everything when it's too late," but now that there's been time to train and tool--and the NATO talks went well--getting tanks is easy, and it wouldn't do to have a strategic partner unable to manage those tanks. F-16 has been used across Europe and they maintained fleets, so those would have not only been available, the means of care would have been within arm's reach. The "unprovoked escalation" of the fighter jets was a whole thing unto itself, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Poland and Czechia have been doing maintenance on Ukrainian tanks since basically day one. Poland already operates F-16s, so all the knowhow is right across the border. And it is famously easier to fly airplanes crosscountry than tanks, so I imagine Poland will be doing a lot of the maintenance work for them.

I don't think they'll be as provocative as literally flying missions from Polish airbases, but for routine maintenance it's very easy to just nip them over to Poland. Especially considering they will definitely be stationed in western Ukraine, at least to begin with.