Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Jonny 290 posted:

how long till they spin their inability to run sheet metal brakes well enough to make all the panels look the same and instead start selling "personalized" editions where all the panels are warped and hosed up in a way such that no two are alike. it's your cybertruck and yours alone. you love the car.

I legit thought that's what his proposal was going to be after reading the first paragraph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

cybertruk ready any day now just have to figure out how to actually make it but once they figure that out

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Has he tried it out as a boat yet

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

how long till they spin their inability to run sheet metal brakes well enough to make all the panels look the same and instead start selling "personalized" editions where all the panels are warped and hosed up in a way such that no two are alike. it's your cybertruck and yours alone. you love the car.

*elon emerald mine apartheid failson voice* th-the the, topology of the cybertruck, when scanned with LIDAR resolves into a cryptographic hash for a-a-a unique nft on the Xchain

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

This thing must be coming off the line looking like absolute garbage even by Tesla standards.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Consummate Professional posted:

sue who, for what???

You'll find out in discovery.

That DICK! posted:

fallout terminal entry 1/3

lol

1glitch0 has issued a correction as of 08:02 on Aug 24, 2023

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Boy, that sure does show up like a sore thumb.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
this is the engineering equivalent of “print out your 50 pages of code so I can review them.”

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

So I wonder at what temperature they're going to specify those dimensions with 10 micron tolerances, if you're talking about a large part like a body panel that could easily change by more than 10 microns in size over a range of normal room temperatures.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I don’t think this really affects the body panel gap issue at all. They can still bake in enormous panel gaps. Musk is just requiring that they use really expensive tooling to ensure that these sheet metal panels are hyper precise needlessly.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Put affordable housing inside the panel gaps imo

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

nah we’ve already cornered the market on housing poor people in tinderboxes here in :britain:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m not sure why Musk says it’ll only act as a boat for short periods of time. He’s been floating that cybertruck for years now…

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Ever since musk introduced payment for posting the site has gotten way worse. There are those accounts that repost memes and then ask a question like "what's your favorite youtuber" and the first 20 prioritized blue check responses are all other meme accounts promoting their own poo poo instead of answering the OP. Many such cases

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Karia posted:

In a vacuum, a 10 micron tolerance isn't that hard to hold, for some kinds of features, for some kinds of manufacturing processes. I've set up automotive machining lines where critical features, like critical bore diameters or the distance between two precision dowel holes, would get held to +-0.005 mm, statistically capable to a 1.67 Ppk (that means that we statistically estimate that no more than 0.6 parts per million would be out of tolerance). It takes some fiddling,, but it can be done. Bore honing's another example, they routinely hold that sort of tolerance as well. But you'd never try to do that on every feature on a component, let alone the entire car! Even ultra-precise measuring instruments and stuff have a whole ton of tolerances which are like "make a drat clearance hole, who cares so long as the bolt goes through." And that's with machining! Trying to hold that sort of tolerance on sheet metal or die castings is sheer insanity. Even measuring that sort of tolerance on large parts gets really tricky and you have to start taking into account stuff like how much the part sags under its own weight.

Lego and Coke cans can do it! Get it done!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
He is overreacting to the whole internet laughing of how sloppy the cybertruck looks

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Blackhawk posted:

So I wonder at what temperature they're going to specify those dimensions with 10 micron tolerances, if you're talking about a large part like a body panel that could easily change by more than 10 microns in size over a range of normal room temperatures.

Obviously the current fine climate controlled manufacturing conditions of a tent outside in California. But don't worry, soon it will all be constructed in an absolute vacuum to ensure wind resistance doesn't get in the way. Let me explain how a vacuum helps temperature stability based entirely off my misunderstanding of how a thermos works.

This is exactly the kind of "engineer" that Elon is : "Ah I see a number is important here, hmmm. OK here is my idea: what if that number... was better?", with no understanding of what that means, then turns around and walks away from a group of horrified engineers expected to make that work.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Karia posted:

In a vacuum, a 10 micron tolerance isn't that hard to hold, for some kinds of features, for some kinds of manufacturing processes. I've set up automotive machining lines where critical features, like critical bore diameters or the distance between two precision dowel holes, would get held to +-0.005 mm, statistically capable to a 1.67 Ppk (that means that we statistically estimate that no more than 0.6 parts per million would be out of tolerance). It takes some fiddling,, but it can be done. Bore honing's another example, they routinely hold that sort of tolerance as well. But you'd never try to do that on every feature on a component, let alone the entire car! Even ultra-precise measuring instruments and stuff have a whole ton of tolerances which are like "make a drat clearance hole, who cares so long as the bolt goes through." And that's with machining! Trying to hold that sort of tolerance on sheet metal or die castings is sheer insanity. Even measuring that sort of tolerance on large parts gets really tricky and you have to start taking into account stuff like how much the part sags under its own weight.

musk is uniquely qualified to talk about things sagging under their own weight

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Hey here's some bluesky codes if anyone still needs em:

bsky-social-6eclz-pnlhh
bsky-social-e25uy-yqhbi
bsky-social-aktlp-ldbvo

Bushiz has issued a correction as of 13:53 on Aug 24, 2023

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
Took that second one, not sure why. Thanks!

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Thank you. Now I am on the different bad app

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I registered all of them and now they're all banned, thank you 🙏

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Uncle Wemus posted:

What is the unit of measurement for tolerance
It's measured in corpses.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
high tolerance for hate speech, low tolerance for parts :hmmyes:

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Karia posted:

you have to start taking into account stuff like how much the part sags under its own weight.
this part seems the most straightforward and simple that you know some Tesla engineers have shown him this concept in action, and after he saw the problem with his own two eyes he probably said something like "ok so fix it or you're fired, what am I supposed to do about it???"

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

also seems like thermal expansion would throw all of this out the window

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Remember when they only tested their cars in socal and it turned out other places in America experienced more temperatures than 75 degrees and sunny

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

shyduck posted:

also seems like thermal expansion would throw all of this out the window

Yeah that will dwarf any variation due to manufacturing variance. Installation fuckups will probably also vastly dwarf any materials variation. His demand will drastically increase tooling costs for all parts and do very little to improve gap consistency.

Its a dumb demand from Elon. The issue could have been avoided on the first place by just not using straight line panel joins since our brains are super good at picking out errors for those.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

apatheticman posted:

What a loving idiot.

Tolerances only found in million-dollar lab equipment.

Jesus loving christ.

one of the foundational machine shop experiences in engineering school I remember is when guys would come in with their drawings as needing 100.0000 mm and the machinist with 45 years experience would calmly explain what that would cost

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Isentropy posted:

one of the foundational machine shop experiences in engineering school I remember is when guys would come in with their drawings as needing 100.0000 mm and the machinist with 45 years experience would calmly explain what that would cost

Look, Elon knows more about manufacturing than anyone else on earth

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I'm not surprised the concept of Tolerance stacking befuddles noted dipshit Elon Musk

every day something somehow surprises me that this dipshit is the richest guy in the world.

nikosoft posted:

Look, Elon knows more about manufacturing than anyone else on earth

oh my loving god i forgot about this one

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I learned more about practical engineering during my time in machine shop than I did from a lot of my coursework so that tracks

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

shyduck posted:

I learned more about practical engineering during my time in machine shop than I did from a lot of my coursework so that tracks

Musk is developing it all from first principles though! So clearly he knows best.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

We need to write cleaner G-code

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Karia posted:

you won't care

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1694535986993312045?t=i3x3bC7DzAGqPNqEjDfHsA&s=19

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Karia posted:

Doubt it

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

this is what world-class engineering looks like

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

shyduck posted:

We need to write cleaner G-code

Elon's tweaking into a whole new era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Karia posted:

neato