Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
I hope the fish don't die of old age (or of hunger if you don't regurarly feed them) :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Mitsubishi Mirage is the last new car you can get for under $20k.

Car mortgages to be common place soon :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

We've already got like 9 year loans, what's another 6 on it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The Mitsubishi Mirage is the last new car you can get for under $20k.

Car mortgages to be common place soon :v:

Was, it's dead now: https://www.autonews.com/cars-concepts/mitsubishi-drop-mirage-us

There's also still some cheap small cars that exist, even though they're not under $20k anymore. Hyundai Venue, Kia Soul are both still under $22k.

The best feeling vehicles in America are still full size pickup trucks, though.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Within the last 10 years or so there was a car being sold*** in Canada for like 9,999$
I'm thinking it was the Micra, or Hyundai Accent or something?

***Before taxes, options etc etc...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Imagine if Elio Motors wasn't vaporware :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Within the last 10 years or so there was a car being sold*** in Canada for like 9,999$

The Skoda Citygo and I assume the other VAG clones were under $10k including taxes a few years ago, but they killed off the ICE version. All the official pages have been scrubbed so the only reference I could easily fined is the UK price of £7,630 for the 3-door 1.0 60PS 5spd version.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Nissan Versa Note. It's been discontinued though.

https://www.nissan.ca/vehicles/discontinued/versa-note.html

The Nissan Versa starts at $15K with a manual and $16K with a CVT.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

The Skoda Citygo and I assume the other VAG clones were under $10k including taxes a few years ago, but they killed off the ICE version. All the official pages have been scrubbed so the only reference I could easily fined is the UK price of £7,630 for the 3-door 1.0 60PS 5spd version.

The cheapest eUP variant is 17k€ now. As much as a full optional Suzuki Swift.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Twerk from Home posted:

Was, it's dead now: https://www.autonews.com/cars-concepts/mitsubishi-drop-mirage-us

There's also still some cheap small cars that exist, even though they're not under $20k anymore. Hyundai Venue, Kia Soul are both still under $22k.

The Kia Rio is still around for now right?

My mother in law has one and it’s surprisingly okay for the price, certainly much nicer than a Mirage.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

dissss posted:

My mother in law has one and it’s surprisingly okay for the price, certainly much nicer than a Mirage.

At least here it starts the same as an up, 17k€. I would be surprised to see it at 10k$.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Isn't the Mirage an insanely unsafe vehicle as well? gently caress those things.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Isn't the Mirage an insanely unsafe vehicle as well? gently caress those things.
No, just mediocre

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/mitsubishi/space+star+%2f+mirage/8881

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

That's a decade old rating. Safety has moved forward in that time but the Mirage has not.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

dissss posted:

That's a decade old rating. Safety has moved forward in that time but the Mirage has not.

Keep in mind that EuroNCAP rating since 2015 have been distorted by ADAS. A car able to let the passengers unscathed but without ADAS will get three stars at best.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think the question is, is it better or worse than a 20-year old rusty Miata and Fit? :v:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I feel very safe in my Saab 900 without airbags or ABS brakes.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

SlowBloke posted:

Keep in mind that EuroNCAP rating since 2015 have been distorted by ADAS. A car able to let the passengers unscathed but without ADAS will get three stars at best.

It's heavily biased towards driver aids which means that some cars can get poo poo ratings for pedestrian safety but still come out with a good final result because they've got poo poo like cameras and lane assist.

NCAP is no longer a marker of a safe car, just one loaded with gadgets. A Mirage is as solid as it always was but now gets penalised because it isn't loaded with computer bullshit and it's this bit people don't understand.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 23, 2023

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
What a terrible rewards system.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
There's no doubt that the Mirage is the least safe new car sold in the US market. It is consistently the car in the US with the highest death rate.

It's also still dramatically safer than the 20 year old Camry that half of America drives.

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/latest-driver-death-rates-highlight-dangers-of-muscle-cars

Death wise, the only cars near as dangerous as a Mirage are the Dodge Challenger, Hyundai Accent, and Chevy Spark.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Strong personal anecdotal feelings that lots of people die in Challengers for reasons not related to the car itself.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Full Collapse posted:

Strong personal anecdotal feelings that lots of people die in Challengers for reasons not related to the car itself.

Similar for the Mirage. I’m gonna say that the people that buy the cheapest new car on the market do so because they’re subject to a specific mix of socioeconomic factors that may contribute to a higher death rate.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Full Collapse posted:

What are your feelings for the stat on the Nissan Altima?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

What are your feelings for the stat on the Nissan Altima?

It’s a fine car. I rented one and it was ok.

It’s more I’ve found the Challenger tends to be bought by folks who weave through traffic going 20 over the limit.

I love the Spark, but I kept feeling I’d be squished under an SUV whenever I drove it.

Full Collapse fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 23, 2023

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
I remember Oldsmobile Aleros having lower insurance rates than Pontiac Grand Ams despite them being mechanically identical. The Pontiac had a higher claims rate because their owners tended to be younger. More recently I replaced a 09 Malibu with 17 Buick Regal Turbo and my insurance payments actually went down even though it has something like 100 more hp.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nothing on that list surprises me in the least

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Full Collapse posted:

I think that explains the Challenger > Charger > 300 range, but the 300 appears to be a very mediocre beginning baseline.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Fornax Disaster posted:

I remember Oldsmobile Aleros having lower insurance rates than Pontiac Grand Ams despite them being mechanically identical. The Pontiac had a higher claims rate because their owners tended to be younger. More recently I replaced a 09 Malibu with 17 Buick Regal Turbo and my insurance payments actually went down even though it has something like 100 more hp.

This is how it’s suppose to work, insurance rates are determined by actuarial tables that account for how often a car is crashed and how likely insurance will need to pay out.

Power, seats, etc none of that stuff matters (but sometimes has loose correlations).

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

This looks like poo poo. How expensive is it?

Seats look nice in fabric and the panoramic roof is nice but the lines and details on the outside aren't very coherent. What's annoying is with some tweaks it could be a good looking car but they let a maniac who doesn't understand flowing features at it. It's telling that it looks better with the chrome bits blacked out.

https://twitter.com/albano57/status/1694145075842896229?t=5hCSUQ6_Yp65zSP6y5rdgw&s=19

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Aug 24, 2023

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Seats look nice in fabric and the panoramic roof is nice but the lines and details on the outside aren't very coherent. What's annoying is with some tweaks it could be a good looking car but they let a maniac who doesn't understand flowing features at it. It's telling that it looks better with the chrome bits blacked out.

https://twitter.com/albano57/status/1694145075842896229?t=5hCSUQ6_Yp65zSP6y5rdgw&s=19

Is this a Cadillac? If so, it's the first Cadillac in 50 years that looks the part.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Is this a Cadillac? If so, it's the first Cadillac in 50 years that looks the part.
Yeah, it's their new flagship.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Square off the rear you loving cowards

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

dissss posted:

If by "around" you mean "just announced that it got axed," then you'd be right:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a44887593/kia-rio-dead/

Sab669 posted:

:yeah:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Looks like an old Prius wtf

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Sab669 posted:

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Sab669 posted:

It's the giant pillar blind spots in the rear for me.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, world's chonkiest D-Pillar is too much. So if it was a wagon and that was glass it wouldn't look so goofy :argh:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

ok hyundai this is getting a bit much *clicks to see uncropped image* oh

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Alternative hot take:

"Mom can we get an Audi A7?"

"We have an A7 at home!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

This costs $340k lol.