Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

:popclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Tai posted:

Getting F-16's is all well and good but will USA give the thumbs up for the good ammo. Namely AIM-120 and AGM-158.

Ukraine already has AIM-120, which is used as ammunition for the ground-based NASAMS system. AGM-158 probably remains off the table, because the F-16s Ukraine is getting probably aren't capable of firing it - it was developed after the MLU, and none of the people providing fighters currently operate it (the Netherlands are expected to get it in the near future).

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

*in insanely intolerable tankie voice* giving ukraine f-16s is bad because it lets ukrainian nazis blow up more innocent russian holiday makers while also causing MORE ukrainian deaths because when the obsolete and bad f-16s are shot down by superior russian air defences they will likely crash into ukrainian apartment buildings, schools and hospitals. Why is nato deliberately causing all this bloodshed???

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Drone_Fragger posted:

*in insanely intolerable tankie voice* giving ukraine f-16s is bad because it lets ukrainian nazis blow up more innocent russian holiday makers while also causing MORE ukrainian deaths because when the obsolete and bad f-16s are shot down by superior russian air defences they will likely crash into ukrainian apartment buildings, schools and hospitals. Why is nato deliberately causing all this bloodshed???

You should have seen all the Indians coming out of the woodwork to claim the S-400 battery that got denazified in Crimea was a fake because "it was the world's bestest air defense system and Ukronazis have no technology to destroy it." Pissed me off something fierce too.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

India boasting about its air force/defenses when it still flies MiG-21s

The TIE fighter of the early cold war

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

https://twitter.com/BitchAssBowie/status/1694551529313738988?s=19

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
EXPLOSION!

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

I Was A Nazi Warlord Who Started A Military Coup And Now I've Woken Up In Another World! Can I Use My Cooking Skills To Survive?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Megumin strikes again!

Man, these methods of Isekai'ing people are getting ridiculous.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1694739980801761598?s=20

WSJ is reporting that intelligence officials believe it was a bomb or sabotage. Reuters is reporting it was a SAM.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

At least it wasn't made in abyss or goblin slayer I guess?

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Mistle posted:

It's partly "where to repair" but more "with what tools and parts." It was easy for UAF to deal with soviet standard tanks and APCs--especially in the short term when "anything now is better than everything when it's too late," but now that there's been time to train and tool--and the NATO talks went well--getting tanks is easy, and it wouldn't do to have a strategic partner unable to manage those tanks. F-16 has been used across Europe and they maintained fleets, so those would have not only been available, the means of care would have been within arm's reach. The "unprovoked escalation" of the fighter jets was a whole thing unto itself, as well.

That would have been my guess, I know F16's are everywhere but I don't know if the Abrams is like that. I heard (read on the internet) that there was also concern about the technology from the Abrams inevitably falling into Russian hands (or Chinese), how valid of a concern do you think that really would be? I guess for all we know there's a little red switch on the back of the tank that disables it, but they made it REALLY small to keep it secret.

Again, in Battlefield you can just run up and hit F to get in one if the enemy jumps out to capture a flag, which I'm guessing is what they're afraid of

Tigey posted:

wonder if it's coincidence that their air force is right on track with their space program

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Ghost of Kyiv did it. Heat seeking smoking accident.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Tigey posted:

At least they can land on the moon.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

William Bear posted:

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1694739980801761598?s=20

WSJ is reporting that intelligence officials believe it was a bomb or sabotage. Reuters is reporting it was a SAM.

It almost certainly might have been a pair of SAMs. There was a pic of the aircraft debris that showed fragmentation impacts, and the locals reported two explosions and saw missile contrails before nooooticing the plane falling out of the sky.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Traitor Chef Reborn: I can't cook but I'll never betray the a king!

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

AA locked onto the radio attached to the bomb hidden onboard that was supposed to blow the plane. SAM launches and blows up plane about to be blown up anyway. Setting off the bomb. A surface to air special demining operation.

The aristocrats.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Daily beast saying that a flight attendant on the plane called her mom before the flight and said there were "strange repairs" being made before it

https://www.thedailybeast.com/prigozhin-jet-flight-attendant-reported-strange-repairs-before-crash

I think the only thing we do know is we know very little

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Lol at double-bombing that plane with both an onboard charge and a follow-up missile to boot

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

shadow puppet of a posted:

Lol at double-bombing that plane with both an onboard charge and a follow-up missile to boot

Yeah I kinda hope both are true, though I imagine there would not have been much plane left to fall

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah I kinda hope both are true, though I imagine there would not have been much plane left to fall

AFAIK the plane looked relatively intact when it was falling, but missing both its wings

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

shadow puppet of a posted:

Based on the evidence we have you can't count on a Russian offensive to be successful.

Watch this be a legitimate smoking accident and Putin is making GBS threads himself trying to figure out how to convince angry Wagnerites of this .

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Excuse me sir we just realized that the interior of your plane's wing is missing this duct tape-wrapped black pelican case with a bunch of wires coming out of it. It'll just be a few minutes.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
In an odd coincidence the FSB assassination bomb was disabled by the MoD assassination missile but a CIA plant had already poisoned the pilot so it went down anyway

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1694744520565354821
The alleged Putin weighs in on Pig Boss's death

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zone posted:

Crocodile tears.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

zone posted:

Alas, poor Prigo! I knew him, Shoigu. A fellow of infinite hot dogs, of most excellent meatshields.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
https://twitter.com/maldr0id/status/1694691379685855507/photo/1

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
My sources are telling me that seconds before he lost control of the plane, Mr Prigozhin said "I've been thinking about going woke".

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Gnoman posted:

Ukraine already has AIM-120, which is used as ammunition for the ground-based NASAMS system. AGM-158 probably remains off the table, because the F-16s Ukraine is getting probably aren't capable of firing it - it was developed after the MLU, and none of the people providing fighters currently operate it (the Netherlands are expected to get it in the near future).

Comedy option: provide Ukraine with the cargo plane pallet 4x AGM-158 launcher. Integration consists of bolting some rails on an Antonov's floor.
https://www.defensenews.com/air/2022/11/10/watch-this-us-air-force-cargo-plane-launch-a-cruise-missile-in-norway/

e: give them the 2000km range version, for extra strategic bomber erasure.
e2: also the anti-ship version, TIA

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Anti vax conspiracies are so 2021.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The bomb was hidden in a giant dildo. The Russians have a history of this.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I have studied North Korea and worked on it as part of a job and the poster you quoted is correct. There's no evidence that the two ministers were executed by anti-aircraft guns, and knowing North Korean execution strategies, it doesn't make sense that they'd take all that time to set up and load the gun when taking them out back immediately and shooting them with a regular rifle will do. Beyond that, Joongang Ilbo is well known to be pretty wild about North Korean claims]]

It's not defending North Korea if you're just correcting misinformation on them. They're horrific enough with what we actually can verify without having to make up poo poo about them

My point is that even if it’s a lurid made-up story, it’s not even that out there compared to stuff they actually did, so it’s funny that he brought it up himself then got mad when someone pointed out the other famous anti-aircraft weapon story.

EDIT: Also he was a guy who ate a ban for “Why don’t we just execute other posters”, which is what made it doubly funny.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 24, 2023

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The worlds most violent heart attack in history. Vaxx heart attacks so bad they blow the wings and tail off of aircraft peacefully flying along on autopilot.

I can't stop loling about this.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

zone posted:

This sounds very Trumpian.

Burns
May 10, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

My sources are telling me that seconds before he lost control of the plane, Mr Prigozhin said "I've been thinking about going woke".

Well when you put it that way, Pig Boss went woke the Russian Way.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
pilot had a vaxxattack and the plane veered into missiles aimed at a daycare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
The most hilarious option would be Prig tricking Putin into thinking he was on that plane.