Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Edit: didn't see a thread for Terry was already up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Excelled in a bygone era, excelled in a classic era, excelled in modernity, kept going, and had many of us convinced there could still be another Terry Funk ladder match at any time. poo poo, if I heard he came back from the dead, I'd believe it.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Forever.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
It fuckin sucks that Terry Funk never got the mainstream recognition he deserved just because he didn't work in WWF/WWE much. Hate to see the Funkster go

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Been avoiding wrestling news all day so I could sit down and watch Dynamite, turned it on and saw the In Memory card for Terry Funk. gently caress. :smith:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/tapemachines/status/1694490105333878940?s=20

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

It fuckin sucks that Terry Funk never got the mainstream recognition he deserved just because he didn't work in WWF/WWE much. Hate to see the Funkster go

It’s raising my hackles that every article is calling him “WWE Hall of Famer Terry Funk” as if that was the pinnacle of his career, even if it is technically accurate.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

A Real Horse posted:

It’s raising my hackles that every article is calling him “WWE Hall of Famer Terry Funk” as if that was the pinnacle of his career, even if it is technically accurate.

They didn't even induct him as a singles; only as one-half of The Funk Bros

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

A Real Horse posted:

Poster Name - post combo SSS

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

HonorableTB posted:

Don't worry, most of the mainstream and chatgpt generated articles I've seen today are calling Terry Funk a "WWE Legend".

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

https://twitter.com/TripleH/status/1694840084091023529?t=V-EqqnCf6Ypo_qAQ7-NObw&s=19

speechless

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Holy poo poo

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Weren't there reports like two days ago that he was on an upward path? What the gently caress???

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
that is loving crazy

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

gently caress :(

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Luna Was Here posted:

Weren't there reports like two days ago that he was on an upward path? What the gently caress???

Yes

Jesus loving Christ

This is literally the most stunned I have ever been by a wrestling death

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

loving hell, man.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

what the gently caress

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I keep seeing people saying the tweet seems suspect because Mike Rotunda/IRS isn't a WWE Hall of Famer but...after Benoit dying completely axed Vince's stupid limo explosion angle I don't think they'd dare go for a fake death angle one day after Terry Funk passed.

...just...poo poo.

EDIT: also PWInsider et. al are reposting it so it's probably unfortunately real.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I can't believe it.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Just stunned...this feels like its out of nowhere :(

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
It's like Brodie all over again.

The only consolation is those two can talk again.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This just sucks so much

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
What an awful week

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Angry_Ed posted:

I keep seeing people saying the tweet seems suspect because Mike Rotunda/IRS isn't a WWE Hall of Famer but...after Benoit dying completely axed Vince's stupid limo explosion angle I don't think they'd dare go for a fake death angle one day after Terry Funk passed.

...just...poo poo.

EDIT: also PWInsider et. al are reposting it so it's probably unfortunately real.

i would assume Rotunda was set for the hall as soon as bray was healthyish or HHH mistyped because he's sad over weird hack poo poo

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

holy poo poo

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Angry_Ed posted:

...just...poo poo.

Of course it's loving real, Jesus gently caress

They wouldn't work something like this, what is wrong with people

This is absolutely crushing though. Just devastating.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Of course it's loving real, Jesus gently caress

They wouldn't work something like this, what is wrong with people

This is absolutely crushing though. Just devastating.

I think people are just in so much shock they don't want to believe it. I mean...I get it but it's hosed to be like "clearly this is a hacked tweet". Five stages of grief and all that.

:smith:

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 24, 2023

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I remember the excitement of his early NXT work as Bray Wyatt, and that awesome Mark Crozer and the Rels song. This really came out of loving nowhere.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Just stunned...this feels like its out of nowhere :(

That's because it pretty much is. It was reported as an illness, then like a few days ago everything indicated he was improving, then WHAM

There's only one thing I can think of in recent times that's behaved that way though, and that's COVID, unless heaven forbid it was mental in origin and Windham fooled people. :(

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SamuraiFoochs posted:

That's because it pretty much is. It was reported as an illness, then like a few days ago everything indicated he was improving, then WHAM

There's only one thing I can think of in recent times that's behaved that way though, and that's COVID, unless heaven forbid it was mental in origin and Windham fooled people. :(

And no matter what it is, it's going to lead to people being huge pieces of poo poo about the cause of death like they were with Brodie.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Was reading the Trump lols thread in GBS when I saw the news about Bray in there, of all places. Very shocking and saddening, 36 is far too young. I remember really digging the "Wyatt family" gimmick when it was going on, with the lanterns and everything. RIP.

Also a belated RIP to Terry Funk, who had many of the greatest feuds in pro wrestling, including my personal favorite when he feuded with Ric Flair in 1989 after Flair won the NWA title back from Ricky Steamboat.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
This loving promo...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What the gently caress

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pat McAfee, William Regal, and Donovan Dijak have also tweeted about it at this point, so yeah.

gently caress man. I know I'm in the minority but in terms of creative, out there poo poo, Bray may have been my favorite ever, and it genuinely saddens me that we'll never know what he had planned with this return.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Bray?! This can’t be loving real oh my god

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
This has been a shistastic 36 hours for the wrestling world.

I had begun to think that Funk would be immortal, but Bray…gently caress. This hurts.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

36 years old, so sad :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Angry_Ed posted:

...just...poo poo.

also Amanda Huber tweeted about it and I'd bet she's in the inner circle of people who'd know

e: I've watched this company do a lot of bad poo poo but if this was somehow a work I'd finally be done for good. I don't think Amanda would go along with something like that though given Brodie's death

Intruder fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 25, 2023