Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I do love that Vin Diesel just uses all his fast and furious clout to make that goofy sci-fi series.

Pitch Black is a legit great film though. Does feel like an entirely different genre to the other films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Haven’t watched the trailer yet myself but you guys describing it as a cheesy pastiche makes me hyped honestly

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

dr_rat posted:

I do love that Vin Diesel just uses all his fast and furious clout to make that goofy sci-fi series.

Pitch Black is a legit great film though. Does feel like an entirely different genre to the other films.
Don't forget that Vin also used his clout to make a movie based on his D&D character

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Witch_Hunter

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

dr_rat posted:

I was listening to an interview with Alan Dean Foster, who is the king of sci-fi movie novelizations and wrote the novelization of Chronicles of Riddick, and he had a lot of positive things to say about Diesel. When visiting the set Diesel just wanted to talk about science fiction, asked him to give input on the script, put him in the background of a scene, etc.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Chairman Capone posted:

I was listening to an interview with Alan Dean Foster, who is the king of sci-fi movie novelizations and wrote the novelization of Chronicles of Riddick, and he had a lot of positive things to say about Diesel. When visiting the set Diesel just wanted to talk about science fiction, asked him to give input on the script, put him in the background of a scene, etc.

Haha, that's awesome. Honestly surprised him and Henry Cavill haven't done a movie together so they could just chill out talking sci-fi nerd stuff on set.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Actually lost track with the amount of genres and movies being ripped off in that trailer

I'll still watch that garbage

how do you rip off a genre.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Space Opera is built on ripoffs. Star Wars ripped off Flash Gordon which ripped off John Carter which ripped off, I dunno, Hercules or some poo poo but on Mars

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
In which Henry Cavill livestreams himself and Vin Diesel being sci-fi nerds and building a high end gaming rig from scratch.

Cavill explaining to Diesel in great detail about the differences between certain thermal pastes.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Maxwell Lord posted:

Space Opera is built on ripoffs. Star Wars ripped off Flash Gordon which ripped off John Carter which ripped off, I dunno, Hercules or some poo poo but on Mars

Star Wars ripped off Dune which ripped off Isaac Asmiov’s Foundation series from the 50’s which ripped off John Carter from decades earlier.

Warhammer 40K ripped off all of those things.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gonz posted:

Star Wars ripped off Dune which ripped off Isaac Asmiov’s Foundation series from the 50’s.

Warhammer 40K ripped off all of those things.

I recently got back into 40k (no i don't know why shut up) and had never quite put together just how much of it is lifted wholesale from Dune. The rest is lifted wholesale from the same company's fantasy universe, which is best understood as 'lord of the rings but a child is explaining it as he downs an entire crate of juice boxes'

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Snowman_McK posted:

I recently got back into 40k (no i don't know why shut up)

Speaking as someone who's followed 40k for far longer than they would care to admit, its one of those things that comes and goes every few years like some kind of chronic disease. There's no known cure, and the only treatment is superglue, acrylic paint and a tub full of plastic bits.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gonz posted:

In which Henry Cavill livestreams himself and Vin Diesel being sci-fi nerds and building a high end gaming rig from scratch.

Cavill explaining to Diesel in great detail about the differences between certain thermal pastes.

An indy movie following two nerds with hearts of gold making it to the big tournament, but everyone involved with gaming are these incredibly jacked people.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Pain and Gain 40K

I'm deffo watching the Rebel Moon films whenever I get access but was struck by how obvious the "I'm not going to get to direct a Star Wars...or am I?" the trailer was.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Rebel Moon trailer doesn’t give me Star Wars vibes at all. Mainly because it actually looks interesting.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

FlamingLiberal posted:

Chronicles of Riddick was a giant flop, so the only reason we got the Riddick movie after that was because of Vin Diesel, and it was on a much smaller budget.

Yeah, but it had ambition! Can we get Judi Dench? gently caress it, get Judi Dench! The bad guys are called Necromongers, and they land on planets in these giant skull-dagger-shaped ships that pierce the crust, and by the end of it Riddick is their freaking king... It flamed out, but it flamed out in glorious fashion. At least Netflix is letting Snyder run with two movies' worth of what seems like the same sort of ambition. Not sure I want to give them any money during the strike, though.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The movie didn't make much of an impression otherwise, but I love how Riddick happens because Karl Urban's character from Chronicles wouldn't have any of that Space King Conan poo poo.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Snowman_McK posted:

I recently got back into 40k (no i don't know why shut up) and had never quite put together just how much of it is lifted wholesale from Dune. The rest is lifted wholesale from the same company's fantasy universe, which is best understood as 'lord of the rings but a child is explaining it as he downs an entire crate of juice boxes'

There's also a lot of 2000 AD comics in 40k. Notably but not exclusively Nemesis the Warlock.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Chronicles of a Riddick is an unabashed love letter to the sort of Earl Norem/Frank Frazetta sandals and lasers poo poo from a very particular moment in the mid 80s (Krull, Yor: Hunter From The Future, He-Man) with a bit of Space Religion Inquisition thrown in for flavor. Snyder has repeatedly professed his love for that period via Heavy Metal magazine, Frazetta, and Vallejo so it's not surprising he ended up on similar ground.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

dr_rat posted:

Haha, that's awesome. Honestly surprised him and Henry Cavill haven't done a movie together so they could just chill out talking sci-fi nerd stuff on set.

Sorry, Cavill is a Warhammer fan and Diesel is a D&D fan, the differences are irreconcilable

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Schwarzwald posted:

Notably but not exclusively Nemesis the Warlock.

Finding out about the Nemesis connection explained so much about why 40k is the way it is. Good lord, I can't even imagine what that series would be like without Nemesis.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm actually getting rather Dune vibes from Rebel Moon in particular, probably on purpose I'm sure. But that whole sci-fantasy mix is just kind of a whole swirling cauldron at this point.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

dr_rat posted:

What if we made a space fantasy film but the good guys were also fascists!

Fascists tend to die in Snyder movies.

Batman cheated death by renouncing fascism.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 18 minutes!

Snowman_McK posted:

Sicario may be proof that you can make a good film out of a bad script, based on what the same writer did with more control.

Great post.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I rewatched Sicario after talking about it and had a blast. Denis makes such good movies.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I actually clicked through and watched that Rebel Moon trailer, and the movie actually looks interesting. The trailer was vague enough that I could not tell you the plot (good) and the visuals look excellent. It's sci-fi not based on an existing property, so it automatically goes into my watch list just for the novelty of that.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I actually clicked through and watched that Rebel Moon trailer, and the movie actually looks interesting. The trailer was vague enough that I could not tell you the plot (good) and the visuals look excellent. It's sci-fi not based on an existing property, so it automatically goes into my watch list just for the novelty of that.

I mean it's not an adaptation, but you can't watch that trailer and say it's not based on existing properties. It's like a movie version of Game Master Anthony's Birthday Party.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

dr_rat posted:

Unfortunately it sounds like Diesel is a massive rear end in a top hat to work with these days, Justin Lin walked off the last Fast and Furious movie partially because he couldn’t deal with him.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ironically at the same time, Dwayne Johnson's failure at WB made him return to F&F.

I still hope the last main F&F movie can bring Lin back. His style is still invisible in the coolest parts of Fast X. They're already bringing everyone else back including Gal Gadot.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 18 minutes!

Professor Shark posted:

I rewatched Sicario after talking about it and had a blast. Denis makes such good movies.

Enemies is such a loving trip.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I mean it's not an adaptation, but you can't watch that trailer and say it's not based on existing properties. It's like a movie version of Game Master Anthony's Birthday Party.

If you want to talk about Game Master Anthony's birthday, you seem to be forgetting the 2018 masterpiece from legendary director, Steven Spielberg - Ready Player One.

As for Rebel Moon, the whole trailer looks overstuffed and needing way more support materials for the world building it looks to be doing. I'll still watch it tho...

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RevKrule posted:

As for Rebel Moon, the whole trailer looks overstuffed and needing way more support materials for the world building it looks to be doing. I'll still watch it tho...

Good thing it's part 1 then (part 2 is being released 5 months later)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

RevKrule posted:

It's really, really, really depressing to see that corporate branding synergy bullshit has infected your brain to this degree.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I saw reddit chatter that Snyder is also planning director cuts of both films (hilarious since Netflix isn't going to be cutting them, he just will have a longer version) which I guess means they get 4 movies for the price of two (very expensive movies)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The budget for both movies combined is $166 million, $83 million per movie.

Triple Frontier was 115 million.
The budget for Red Notice was 200 million.
The budget for Grey Man was 200 million.

On a per movie basis, Rebel Moon is far closer to Extraction 2 (70 million).

They aren't "very expensive" movies by anyone's standards, Tars.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I thought the budget for noted fake movie Red Notice was even higher than that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The budget for both movies combined is $166 million, $83 million per movie.

Triple Frontier was 115 million.
The budget for Red Notice was 200 million.
The budget for Grey Man was 200 million.

And Glass Onion was 500 million.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Gray Man is the worst movies I’ve seen in the last few years, incredible given the talent.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I think it lived up to its title precisely

They absolutely spunked that $200m up the wall tho

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Fascists tend to die in Snyder movies.
They win in 300 :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm actually getting rather Dune vibes from Rebel Moon in particular, probably on purpose I'm sure. But that whole sci-fantasy mix is just kind of a whole swirling cauldron at this point.

quite literally "we have Dune at home"