Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Natsuumi posted:

Where did anyone get today for U37 release? The most I saw from the devs was sometime "this week".

It was verbally confirmed in last week's steam with Cordovan (something akin to "looking at tuesday and we'll let you know if plans change", and he showed a patch note draft that had the 22nd for the release date. They didn't announce it through the forums, so I'm sure their thought process was "oh we didn't really announce it" but, I mean, they basically announced it.

https://massivelyop.com/2023/08/20/lord-of-the-rings-online-to-welcome-river-hobbits-on-august-22nd/

SSG is pretty notoriously bad at communication so this isn't a shock. They've said they'll give more info on when it's coming out later today after they have a status meeting

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://forums.lotro.com/index.php?threads/update-on-the-release-timing-for-update-37.2609/#post-26410

They just posted on the forums that Update 37 will release August 29th.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
The official forum now has U37 on August 29

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

*Heads to Farmer's Faire to check out the seasonal event.*

*One of the daily quests is to bring water to overheated patrons.*

*My character picks up a jug of water. Takes a big gulp.*

*Spits the water onto the overheated patrons. They are very thankful.*

*I decide to leave.*

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
After not playing the game for a few years I decide to come back and explore all the new stuff they added.

So i get to Langflood.

And I find hobbits.

And they want me to deliver pies....

Again ...

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Sad Wendigo posted:

I absolutely hate suggesting spending more real money inside a game, but a stack of Mithril Coins to use to cut out the longest walks are a good idea.

Every time I open the map and see how far I have to travel to progress jsut one quest, I can often use a single Mithril Coin to save a 10 minute run.

Yea paying means giving in to blackmail. Im a lifer, so I don't spend my gold anyways...

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

adary posted:

After not playing the game for a few years I decide to come back and explore all the new stuff they added.

So i get to Langflood.

And I find hobbits.

And they want me to deliver pies....

Again ...

I get the feeling that most of the people who have stuck with this game after all these years don't want new and different. They want delivering pies to hobbits.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

In a world where the future is looking more and more uncertain, a madman is prosecuting a war in Europe, trade barriers are going back up and 2024 is shaping up make 2020 look like a picnic in US politics, all the while the world is getting hotter and hotter, sometimes you just wanna escape for a bit and deliver pies to hobbits.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

https://www.lotro.com/update-notes/lotro-update-37-release-notes-en

Patch tomorrow. Ignore that they wrote Wednesday in the notes :v:

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

So do you guys use all the stat boosters handed out by hobbit boxes etc, or do you keep them in vault for future use?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Much like (mega)elixirs in Final Fantasy, I hoard them forever and never use them as they fill my inventory and storage to the brim because I might need them later! :v:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

For some reason I was dumb enough to believe that just because they're introducing a new playable race in a content update, you would actually get to play it. :smith:

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Comrade Koba posted:

For some reason I was dumb enough to believe that just because they're introducing a new playable race in a content update, you would actually get to play it. :smith:

You can, just have to buy one of the bundles for it for now. Gotta purchase the bundle when logged in as another character since they include items to deliver.

At least they can be bought with points and not exclusively cash.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

HPanda posted:

You can, just have to buy one of the bundles for it for now. Gotta purchase the bundle when logged in as another character since they include items to deliver.

At least they can be bought with points and not exclusively cash.

They didn't show up in the store for me earlier, but I wasn't logged on to a character so that explains it. Thanks!

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How much are the bundles?

edit: oh there's an article https://www.lotro.com/news/lotro-river-hobbits-en

edit 2: it still doesn't have prices listed

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 29, 2023

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
1,595 LP for base bundle
2,995 LP for greater bundle
8,995 LP for superior bundle

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Cutedge posted:

https://www.lotro.com/update-notes/lotro-update-37-release-notes-en

Patch tomorrow. Ignore that they wrote Wednesday in the notes :v:

quote:

Male and female human hairs have been updated to match the avatar update.

Excellent.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Does either guardian spec fill the "sturdy dynamo that doesn't die and can keep going forever with small self heals" archetype, kinda like cleric/paladin soloing? E.g. prot paladin from WoW if you are familiar with that.

The world chat was surprisingly unhelpful, saying i need to play a minstrel if i want to heal (which is not what i asked for)

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Ineptitude posted:

Does either guardian spec fill the "sturdy dynamo that doesn't die and can keep going forever with small self heals" archetype, kinda like cleric/paladin soloing? E.g. prot paladin from WoW if you are familiar with that.

The world chat was surprisingly unhelpful, saying i need to play a minstrel if i want to heal (which is not what i asked for)

oh so it was you that made me cringe in world chat yesterday?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Ineptitude posted:

Maybe try a warden? Can go on forever and solo most landscape group content if played even slightly competently. The combo system might take some getting used to but isn't really that difficult. Also, free teleports to most important quest hubs.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Captain also has some self or group heals (which affect self)

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Yellow-line bear may be close to what you're thinking. While it is the "healer" spec, when solo, it's an absolute beast to take down (while bears are great healers, you can use like 95% of your healing kit on yourself, including the "apply this mark to the tank to give them bonus heals" buff), and since it's heavily HoTs and you have heavy armor, there's plenty of time to go back to offense. It's the heavy armor healer that's, y'know, still a bear with claws and whatnot that shoots bees at orcs. Might be close to the tanky character type that sustains with self-heals that you're after.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

HPanda posted:

Yellow-line bear may be close to what you're thinking. While it is the "healer" spec, when solo, it's an absolute beast to take down (while bears are great healers, you can use like 95% of your healing kit on yourself, including the "apply this mark to the tank to give them bonus heals" buff), and since it's heavily HoTs and you have heavy armor, there's plenty of time to go back to offense. It's the heavy armor healer that's, y'know, still a bear with claws and whatnot that shoots bees at orcs. Might be close to the tanky character type that sustains with self-heals that you're after.

Yeah, I'm a bit out of the loop but everything I've read recently suggests Beornings are probably the toughest solo class at the moment. You don't even have to be in bear form for the most part! Guardians have never really been about self-healing unfortunately.

Wardens are still quite strong but the lag issues mess with the combo system to a point where a lot of people find it unplayable or at least unpleasant (myself included).

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Can confirm that yellow-line bears are probably as close you can get to being unkillable.

Too bad the bear model is, uh, not that good looking, or I'd play mine more. :(

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
Yellow line bears are pretty awesome for soloing stuff. Same with wardens and red line captains. Those are probably the three classes with best self heals around.

I'm currently levelling up a new captain, and even tho i'm still a very low level the experience is fun.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

HPanda posted:

Agreed on all points.

Warden would be pretty close, but it's more work to get the same results and lag makes the class a complete no-go for many players.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ineptitude posted:

I think every melee class can do this, except maybe burglar. Guardian's probably the least effective out of them, wardens, champions, captains, and beornings though. With bears arguably having the most powerful solo setup out of all of them. Wardens can do a lot of stuff with their gambit system though, but are also the hardest class to play out of all of these.

Captains and Beornings also have skill trees that give really powerful group healing options too (or did, I haven't run group content in ages).

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Just noticed that the LM bear pet got a new updated model, but the beorning bear form still looks like poo poo. :wtc:

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Evil Fluffy posted:

I think every melee class can do this, except maybe burglar. Guardian's probably the least effective out of them, wardens, champions, captains, and beornings though. With bears arguably having the most powerful solo setup out of all of them. Wardens can do a lot of stuff with their gambit system though, but are also the hardest class to play out of all of these.

Captains and Beornings also have skill trees that give really powerful group healing options too (or did, I haven't run group content in ages).

The new update apparently made Guardian a lot better than it was. I still didn't try out mine but it might be worth checking out

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Comrade Koba posted:

Just noticed that the LM bear pet got a new updated model, but the beorning bear form still looks like poo poo. :wtc:

A thousand times yes. The Meadhollow should have a special barber for this purpose.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I love the beorning class mechanics, but as long as the bear form stays a low-res furry lump my bear alt is going to stay parked in the Esteldín crafting hall and be relegated to churning out suits of armor for my other alts. :colbert:

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I’m not sure how many face options river hobbits have, but I swear the ad materials showing female river hobbits must be picking the worst, creepiest ones for some reason. I see river hobbit players in-game and I think the faces look good, but then look at most of the ones on the website, and they just look super off.

Is it just me?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

The river hobbit running animation is pretty bad, but compared to the walking animation of regular hobbits it’s a goddamn masterpiece.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Yeah, having racechanged to one after moaning about how weird they looked in the marketing material, I think the massive range of customisations they get make producing decent appearances pretty straightforward. My hunter finally fits what I had in my head for a Fallohide hobbit. They also look great in armour despite a bit of clipping.

Edit: in terms of face options, river hobbits get all the face sliders humans get, so there's a ton of variation outside of the 15 face types.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

https://www.lotro.com/update-notes/lotro-update-37-0-1-release-notes-en

Mostly fixes for a number of things related to stat squish and some balance tweaks (reducing variance between crits and non crits, this is a good change).

I made a post on the forums that I hope they respond to, but as I was leveling in Helms Deep last night (i need to get to 95, i'm 92 now) I realized that Mounted Combat stats are basically messed up right now and it's making fighting enemies take like 10 minutes or more unless you just give up and dismount and swing at them while they ride by.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Sounds like my normal experience with mounted combat fwiw

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Cutedge posted:

https://www.lotro.com/update-notes/lotro-update-37-0-1-release-notes-en

Mostly fixes for a number of things related to stat squish and some balance tweaks (reducing variance between crits and non crits, this is a good change).

I made a post on the forums that I hope they respond to, but as I was leveling in Helms Deep last night (i need to get to 95, i'm 92 now) I realized that Mounted Combat stats are basically messed up right now and it's making fighting enemies take like 10 minutes or more unless you just give up and dismount and swing at them while they ride by.

Wait is that not how it’s always been? I leveled for the first time earlier this year and mounted combat felt like it took forever. Is it even worse now?

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Oh lordy, yeah it's way worse.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I decided life as a high elf warden is just sorrow, sweat and shame so I made a dwarf rune keeper

lightning skills are great fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Cutedge posted:

Oh lordy, yeah it's way worse.

I didn't think it could be worse, but somehow they achieved it.

Kudos, I guess.