Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

this, but trousers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Chuds are anxious about people starting to wear masks en masse again and ostracize the people that don't want to wear them, so they're trying to get ahead of the issue to make it look like they are standing up for something they always believed in (unlike the npc leftists)

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Nobody has enforced mask wearing in a public setting in the US in well over a year wtf is this disingenuous dweeb going on about

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I can't tell if it's real or if it's just Twitter's new algorithm showing me conservative stuff I wouldn't otherwise see, but I've certainly seen talk that there are some new outbreaks and local mask mandates may happen again.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

We’re three years into the pandemic. loving nobody wears masks anymore unless they’re currently sick. And if you’re sick and going shopping without a mask you’re definitely an rear end in a top hat

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Fishstick posted:

A russian coworker explained this to me as the concept of "vranyo". Russians have "ложь" (lozh') for "lie", which is more or less a regular lie. But then there's враньё (vranyo) which at best is like a white lie, but more often its what you see with Putin's posturing. "I know I'm lying, you know I'm lying, but we're all going to pretend it's the truth and go along with it."

I'm a native speaker and I have never felt that distinction. The terms are used interchangeably, and while you can turn both into verbs, врать is used almost exclusively in common speech, while лгать is more of a fancy literary word. There are also lots of other synonyms for lying, none of which have any special meaning either.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

woke kaczynski posted:

Nobody has enforced mask wearing in a public setting in the US in well over a year wtf is this disingenuous dweeb going on about

This literally is all stemming from an InfoWars article claiming Biden (who effectively declared COVID over right before the current surge) is reinstituting mandates soon.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the latest knowledge fight episode mentioned that mask mandates were ruled unconstitional or something last year? So I don't even know if they can do them on a state level?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

woke kaczynski posted:

There are rumblings in the news about covid numbers going back up and a handful of hospitals and universities have brought back mask mandates. The whole right wing media sphere keys off telling people what to be mad about today and face masks are a golden goose for that.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Ensign Expendable posted:

I'm a native speaker and I have never felt that distinction. The terms are used interchangeably, and while you can turn both into verbs, врать is used almost exclusively in common speech, while лгать is more of a fancy literary word. There are also lots of other synonyms for lying, none of which have any special meaning either.

I'm also a native speaker but not exactly fluent, and this sounds about right. врать and its different forms are what I've heard the most, usually from family members yelling at each other or the news lmao

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I am sure am glad we're just going to have mass COVID die offs for the rest of our lives because Biden didn't want to hurt the stock market or exercise the fundamental functions of a state to enforce quarantine and masking.

Just yearly mass deaths to go with the wildfires and constant col inflation

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I think I've seen maybe two people wearing masks in the past couple of weeks, and they were both checkout clerks who come face to face with a shitzillion people every day.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I never stopped wearing mine and by now it's just another article of clothing.

My theory is that conservatives are so loving out of shape that they're already struggling to get enough oxygen, so the tiny, tiny bit that a mask does restrict made them panic. I can't understand why the vitriol was so great and sustained otherwise, it's beyond even just contrarianism..although by now, sure, it's just entrenched as A Thing Shitheads Do.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

tokin opposition posted:

I am sure am glad we're just going to have mass COVID die offs for the rest of our lives because Biden didn't want to hurt the stock market or exercise the fundamental functions of a state to enforce quarantine and masking.

If we change things, the Line will be sad! Do you want that?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Philippe posted:

If we change things, the Line will be sad! Do you want that?

Listen here, fat. Nothing will fundamentally change.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

OwlFancier posted:

this, but trousers

Time for another round of all us fellas lamenting we’re not confident enough to wear skirts and dresses in summer eh

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

I'm not seeing any of that in this quarter's earnings.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Imagine being able to wear a mask around and about and not have random street harassers tell you to smile, or avoiding getting sick when you go to the grocery store and some small child open mouth sneezes all over you, and deciding instead this is nazi communism

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

woke kaczynski posted:

Imagine being able to wear a mask around and about and not have random street harassers tell you to smile, or avoiding getting sick when you go to the grocery store and some small child open mouth sneezes all over you, and deciding instead this is nazi communism

Is this something that happens to you?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nuebot posted:

In gen 3 you needed at least two gen 3 games (Basically emerald and at least one of the fire red or leaf green games), pokemon channel and IIRC XD Gale of Darkness if you wanted to get all of the pokemon, assuming you didn't live near a metropolitan hub where events were easy to visit since outside of the most like, notable major cities you didn't really get those kind of events back then.

The event pokemon like Mew have never counted for completion, at least not as far as the in-game "congrats you got them all" certificate goes.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Blue Footed Booby posted:

...yes, sometimes? Like I dunno how that's the part of my post that stood out to you, but I apparently have resting bitch face and since I started wearing a mask out and about I haven't had randos telling me to cheer up or give them a smile. I'd venture to say that this is in fact a fairly common experience for people who aren't perceived as cis men!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Have you never heard random dudes tell women to smile?

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Kit Walker posted:

I'm also a native speaker but not exactly fluent, and this sounds about right. врать and its different forms are what I've heard the most, usually from family members yelling at each other or the news lmao

B/C/S native here. Those two look like “laganje” and “varanje” which mean “lying” and “cheating” respectively. Is there such a distinction in Russian, or are these two full synonyms?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

gbut posted:

B/C/S native here. Those two look like “laganje” and “varanje” which mean “lying” and “cheating” respectively. Is there such a distinction in Russian, or are these two full synonyms?

Not native but the word that comes to my mind if I was trying to translate would be obmanut for to cheat

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Byzantine posted:

I never stopped wearing mine and by now it's just another article of clothing.

My theory is that conservatives are so loving out of shape that they're already struggling to get enough oxygen, so the tiny, tiny bit that a mask does restrict made them panic. I can't understand why the vitriol was so great and sustained otherwise, it's beyond even just contrarianism..although by now, sure, it's just entrenched as A Thing Shitheads Do.

Honestly, there’s probably some racism mixed in. They see mask wearing is a common occurrence in Asian countries like China and Japan and are terrified at the idea of being anything like those people.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

lol tell us ur gender without telling us ur gender

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

woke kaczynski posted:

I think it's just he has to be the victim because of something, but since everything was fine today he's having to visit the old favorites in his "victimhood" history.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Not native but the word that comes to my mind if I was trying to translate would be obmanut for to cheat

Thanks Obmanut.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Powered Descent posted:

Thanks Obmanut.

Obamanut?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yes. Welcome to being a woman. I once had a guy follow me down the street shouting "why won't you smile? Are you a nun?"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Yes. "You look like you hate everyone. You'd be cute if you smiled." is something I have heard both on the street and when working a customer service job.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I know it's nothing new and is pretty common knowledge now that women deal with this all the time, but I'll never not be just a little shocked and disheartened that people feel free to comment on a random stranger's appearance on a whim. About the only time it seems remotely acceptable (and because this happens to me) is "GOddamn that's a big beard!"

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I'll get both the "hey smile beautiful :)" from men and "I love your skirt/dress/purse" from women and lemme tell ya I'd prefer more of the latter even if it's technically still commenting on my appearance

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Also totally acceptable complimenting niche band t-shirts.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

tokin opposition posted:

I'll get both the "hey smile beautiful :)" from men and "I love your skirt/dress/purse" from women and lemme tell ya I'd prefer more of the latter even if it's technically still commenting on my appearance

From what I've heard on the Rules of Compliments, you want to compliment what someone chooses rather than what they don't. So "nice shirt" is ok, "nice neck" is RIGHT OUT.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

teethgrinder posted:

Also totally acceptable complimenting niche band t-shirts.

Yeah, unless it's a comment somehow tying clothes to the body wearing them, I feel like complimenting clothes is pretty harmless.

Eh maybe clothes that are potentially worn to flatter or reveal the body shouldn't be commented on either. I'll stick to band shirts or stuff worn by a guy who dresses enough like me that it wouldn't be weird.

HenryJLittlefinger has a new favorite as of 19:29 on Aug 24, 2023

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yes. Welcome to being a woman. I once had a guy follow me down the street shouting "why won't you smile? Are you a nun?"

Yeah I'm a nun. Nunya goddamn business

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Push El Burrito posted:

From what I've heard on the Rules of Compliments, you want to compliment what someone chooses rather than what they don't. So "nice shirt" is ok, "nice neck" is RIGHT OUT.

Unless it's a turkey in which case calling out the good neck is required. Because you gotta RESPECT YA NECK.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Push El Burrito posted:

I chose not to smile, so it's totally appropriate to comment on my expression.
:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I am a cis man with a resting glower and once got a guy saying “it’s going to be okay!” while I was waiting for the bus.