Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

That's not how physics works.

Even with no wings, it should continue in a parabolic arc to the ground.

What in the world could have killed all forward momentum? That video is baffling.

Or was it going in an arc and this is just the very end of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I analyzed the video and it looks like the plane is moving quickly in the downward direction.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

So, I isolated the video, made it larger in size and cut it so the camera isn't swinging around all over the place and it sure loving looks like it just literally dropped right out of the sky

Plane crash video. Definitely did not expect that. Wait for it…

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

pro starcraft loser posted:

What in the world could have killed all forward momentum? That video is baffling.

I honestly don't know; it's pretty weird though

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

How is it baffling this is what killed Goose

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

someone on board some gay sex and the subsequent toxic masculinity reaction overrode the laws of physics

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

If it's falling in an arc directly away from the camera maybe it would create the illusion of being a straight drop?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
An engine getting hosed means you glide. You can land without engine power (just roughly).

You fall from the sky if your tail falls off, which appears to have happened. The rear is not supposed to fall off.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGE2ZB_3ZO0

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

RDM posted:

How is it baffling this is what killed Goose

Ah; the poorly maintained aircraft got caught in the missile's jetwash, which killed both engines... those bastards!

The US makes missiles with precision guidance systems to target aircraft, Russia launches missiles to take out enemy aircraft with the jetwash

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Yeah, thinking about it the plane was WAY higher up when whatever happened happened, so what we're seeing the after a lot of the forward momentum was gone.

I guess I was just too used to seeing crashes from the war when the plane is that high up when it's initially hit.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

An engine getting hosed means you glide. You can land without engine power (just roughly).

You fall from the sky if your tail falls off, which appears to have happened. The rear is not supposed to fall off.

Ahh. I see.

The front fell off. They didn't get the message about using cardboard and cardboard derivatives.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I mean that video is after it's already had the wing and engine blown off and it's lost all momentum due to the tumble and air resistance. The parabolic part was when it was up way higher

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The Langoliers ate the plane. Case closed.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Toxic Mental posted:

I mean that video is after it's already had the wing and engine blown off and it's lost all momentum due to the tumble and air resistance. The parabolic part was when it was up way higher

I guess the thing that's loving with me is the fact that the wings are still perpendicular to the ground as opposed to the cockpit aiming at the ground as it's making a flat *fall but I suppose if both engines got taken out at the same time it would explain it.

I am not a lawyer, doctor, or physicist- just a pot head who makes goofy photo and video edits for your amusement :)

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Toxic Mental posted:

it's this, and the parabolic part isn't very long at all. airplanes continue forward very well when they still have all their control surfaces. if you lose a wing or tail at speed, you will almost certainly immediately depart controlled flight and experience very powerful drag forces that will kill your forward momentum quite quickly assuming they don't shred the rest of your plane. since you're tumbling whatever thrust you still have is pushing you around randomly instead of forward.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I've analysed the footage comprehensively and my conclusion is the plane blew up and he dead

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
Shoulda sprung for that plane parachute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIGkmDb0aIw

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

el dingo posted:

I've analysed the footage comprehensively and my conclusion is the plane blew up and he dead

:haibrower:

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Do we know that the plane was hit by anti-air/missiles or is that speculation?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

ryde posted:

The plane was hit by a high frequency cope beam

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ryde posted:

we "know" it insofar as there's not really another plausible option after seeing the eyewitness videos. my earlier shitpost aside, even a near-miss missile strike can absolutely kill the momentum of a craft if the missile was traveling in the opposite direction as its target (as opposed to chasing it). if it impacts on the airframe at all (like it probably did to rip parts of the plane off), it's even more acute. missiles aren't very big, but they move so fast they end up with a lot of momentum, and that gets transferred over in a collision.

we don't have it irrefutably confirmed because russia keeps changing their story on what they did or didn't do. but basically unless you believe in time travelers or something, it was a russian missile.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 24, 2023

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

E: f,b

DiomedesGodshill fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 24, 2023

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Coolguye posted:

we "know" it insofar as there's not really another plausible option after seeing the eyewitness videos. my earlier shitpost aside, even a near-miss missile strike can absolutely kill the momentum of a craft if the missile was traveling in the opposite direction as its target (as opposed to chasing it).

we don't have it irrefutably confirmed because russia keeps changing their story on what they did or didn't do. but basically unless you believe in time travelers or something, it was a russian missile.

Obviously based on the videos things like "the pilot had a heart attack" are ridiculous, was just probing whether its possible someone set a bomb in the plane or something. I'm assuming you can't sabotage a plane in such a way that the wings fall off like that without causing an explosion. But on more thinking that'd be way more complicated and failure-prone than just instructing a random soldier to make an oopsie.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ryde posted:

Obviously based on the videos things like "the pilot had a heart attack" are ridiculous, was just probing whether its possible someone set a bomb in the plane or something. I'm assuming you can't sabotage a plane in such a way that the wings fall off like that without causing an explosion. But on more thinking that'd be way more complicated and failure-prone than just instructing a random soldier to make an oopsie.

yeah. in general, planes are so safe because they have been engineered on every level to stay flying pretty much no matter what. you can lose an engine, you can compromise a flight surface, you can have hydraulics fail, that bitch will stay in the sky. obviously lol russian graft or whatever, but even massive russian corruption cannot change the fact that even without those wings, most passenger jets could stay reasonably controlled in the air using just the flaps and control surfaces on the tail. they're not going to stay flying for too long, but it'll be enough to keep you from entering a death spiral and bring it to something resembling a controlled crash. sabotage with this overall effect would have to touch almost every single system on the plane, and if the pilot is paying any attention at all they're basically guaranteed to notice even without their fancy diagnostics. just, they will attempt to move a flap and it won't respond the way they expect after hundreds if not thousands of hours of experience with that mechanism.

alternatively you could just lie to some clueless fucko on a ground SAM site that there's ukranian suicide drone overhead, blast the thing, do it, soldier, DO IT NOW.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1694790814633808017#m
Nyet Panik. Normal Katastrof. Nothing is happening in Sevastopol.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Maybe Russia saying that the pilots should be the ones to perform the maintenance on their own planes wasn't such a good idea after all. :dumbbravo:

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Coolguye posted:

even without those wings, most passenger jets could stay reasonably controlled in the air using just the flaps and control surfaces on the tail.

I uh, don't think this is true, at all. you can lose engines and control surfaces, yes, but if you've lost an entire wing you aren't going to be doing anything like controlled flight. like, maybe full opposite aileron lets you lawn dart until you overspeed and rip off the other wing, if that's what you mean? or do you mean they'll lawndart with both wings off and only the tail, in which case probably agreed but I wouldn't call that controlled/controllable.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Looks like Portugal throwing in some F-16's.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

tiaz posted:

like, maybe full opposite aileron lets you lawn dart until you overspeed and rip off the other wing, if that's what you mean? or do you mean they'll lawndart with both wings off and only the tail, in which case probably agreed but I wouldn't call that controlled/controllable.
yes. sorry, i agonized over that sentence a bit because i was trying to make the point that the pilot wouldn't lose full control and it wouldn't look like that absolute shuddering doomspiral that prig's plane went down in, but i didn't have the words to succinctly get through that while being both accessible and fully technically correct.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

If it's falling in an arc directly away from the camera maybe it would create the illusion of being a straight drop?

That's my thought too.

edit: oops, from 30k feet we are seeing the very bottom of any arc... suckers gone vertical. :shrug:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 24, 2023

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Lmao

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

tiaz posted:

I uh, don't think this is true, at all. you can lose engines and control surfaces, yes, but if you've lost an entire wing you aren't going to be doing anything like controlled flight.

:colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxJcEz3h4tU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

NEW STRELKOV DROPPED
https://t.me/strelkovii/6285

quote:

I.I. Strelkov's comments on Prigozhin's death (text transmitted through the lawyer Koroleva):
I believe that the probable involvement of the president is minuscule, approximately at the level of the probability of a man-made disaster. The probability of a terrorist act on the part of Ukraine or the West is even less likely. Here we may be talking about the "cleansing of key witnesses", which has not been mentioned in the media. Also possible, but unlikely, is personal revenge on the part of high-ranking military officers. I can't say I'm saddened, since Prigozhin was not only my enemy personally, but by and large an enemy of Russia. And his danger was still very high. At the same time, what happened cannot cause me any positive reaction, as it is another evidence of further deepening of the turmoil in Russia. Prigozhin should have been tried, not eliminated, now he will not be able to testify. The dashing 90s are returning, and this is very dangerous and fraught.
:lmao:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
^^^^^ hahahahaha

Someone set him up the bomb.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

My god

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

the F-15 has a lifting body and short delta wings, the aerodynamics for commercial/civilian planforms are completely different and could not achieve this result :colbert:

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

George H.W. oval office posted:

Plane crash video. Definitely did not expect that. Wait for it…

seriously how does someone film a plane falling out of the sky for a good 15 seconds and then gasp in surprise when it hits the ground

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

It's in a flat spin. Probably because the vertical stabiliser on the tail got blown off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

if i was the pilot i would simply have used my remaining lifting surfaces to land the plane