Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

billymasqets
Jan 10, 2019

I really enjoy Mad Dog Morgan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

billymasqets posted:

I really enjoy Mad Dog Morgan.

Same here. I wish he'd go kick some poo poo into the Phantom.

Maybe Luann but that is a lost cause. Crankshaft?

I love Mad Dog too much to send him to Hollbrookiverse.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth And The Mother Who Wouldn't Die

Skippy (September 4, 1935)

Peanuts, continuing the smear campaign against Charlie Brown. (August 26, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater, in which you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave. (March 28, 1940, and cue the guitar solo)

Olive & Popeye

Out Our Way (August 20-22, 1943)

A lot of recent OOW daughters are sharing that conspiratorial wink that is not in the tiniest way reciprocated. Meaning that it happened more than once.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 24, 2023

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Nov. 30, 1958)

Interestingly, according to some versions of the legend, the amphitheater at Caerleon was the site of King Arthur's Round Table. (Val's continuity obviously disagrees.)

Bizarro

This man has everything needed to get elected to Congress.

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

God, NuMark is so punchable in the last panel. Maybe Jules thinks that if she throws enough poo poo at the wall, something will stick and people won't notice how bad she is at crafting a story.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Didn't he do pretty much everything to run facefirst into this prophecy? What did he expect would happen?

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater, in which you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave. (March 28, 1940, and cue the guitar solo)

Olive & Popeye

I can see now why people think nuPopeye is bad. If this were Thimble Theater, Wimpy would've found a way to say that to Popeye and he wouldn't realize Wimpy was being a little poo poo until the last panel.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

amigolupus posted:

Didn't he do pretty much everything to run facefirst into this prophecy? What did he expect would happen?

yes, yes he did. and i hope he dies for it

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

once again, loving your wife.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

OK I admit it, I'm finding that the wildebeest just being a weird thing to want and a silly bribe is moderately funny.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "220 - Jucika's Summer Vacation (Evening Date)"

"221 - Jucika's Summer Vacation (The Roommate)"

"Konyvtar means Library"

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

OK I admit it, I'm finding that the wildebeest just being a weird thing to want and a silly bribe is moderately funny.

Mark was broadcasting that entire conversation on the livestream? And announced where he was going? With a warrant out for his arrest. Against a guy who can flex some authority and have every cop in the city there, who saw it. :v:

This is worse than the time Jules wrote a heist that didn't end when Mark announced to the target that he was heisting him. :effort:

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Mr. Squishy posted:

Hagar! No! In your time salt was hard to produce and incredibly valuable!
e: no comment on the existence of refined sugar, ground pepper, or helmets with horns on

Sugar and Pepper existed as actual imports, extremely expensive and surely not pre-ground or pre-packaged, but existed.
Horned helmets were not a viking fashion, but they also existed. In the bronze age.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IUWvk4MuNw

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

I stopped paying attention for a moment, I thought the entire thing was that the other dog the old guy's dog bonded with was the mop dog from the dogfighting lair, not this one?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I feel like we've been transitioning from dog fighting to the next thing for like, a month. Is whatever this is actually the next thing? Is there a story happening?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Filling in for Kennel:

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Huxley posted:

Honestly, I feel like we've been transitioning from dog fighting to the next thing for like, a month. Is whatever this is actually the next thing? Is there a story happening?

No! Like many comics here, it's just constant wheelspinning (See: Rex Morgan's current "I, Mud Mountain, apologize to you for how I treated you previously." "NOW HANG ON THERE FELLA I DON'T KNOW IF I CAN TRUST THIS" "I understand. But I am genuinely sorry." "WHOA WHOA WHOA PAL I DUNNO HOW I FEEL ABOUT THIS" loop)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (October 8-11, 2002)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Huxley posted:

My guess is no, and this is just Super Saiyan Filler, level 2.

The dog-napping story could have wrapped with Saul getting Greta back from the dog fight ring, but it didn't.

7/4 - We interrupt the story in progress to say Happy 4th of July.

7/5 - 7/16 Mary performs a Blueberry muffin fueled stakeout, leading to the arrest of evil dog fight ring man, and subsequent rescue of tiny dog friend.

We then got a dozen strips of Greta having PTSD, which magically gets resolved when by sheer coincidence, the other bait dog just happens to appear at the vet on the same day. It could have ended there, but it didn't.

7/31 - We got 5-6 strips after that of Mary making homemade dog treats and going to visit Saul, and Gretta and Max and Eve. That's a pretty typical Mary Worth wrap up point - She bakes something, then shares the goodies and wraps up the story. But it didn't end there.

8/7 - Then Mary rides her bike, and her boyfriend spend several more days dining at the Bum Boat, discussing the points of inhumanity, terrible people, vague love language, and always coming home to the old reliable, a decent metaphor for their relationship. And they could have started something else, but then...

8/21 - Back to Saul and Gretta, who are having some kind of doggie date for the past few days.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Huxley posted:

I thought we were about to move on a month ago (almost exactly!) when we say the dog with the eyepatch, I have no idea why we're taking so long on the victory lap.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Mildly Disquieting Gary

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Bardiche Hotel

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Bardiche Hotel

uhoh

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 4/22/51

Archie 12/25-27/47

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

EasyEW posted:

Olive & Popeye

Cool, hopefully this is the authors admission that maybe we're not going to get any more Therapy cartoons about Popeye.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Underworld LA Weekly 10/23–30/1997

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yeah! Take that, racist tomatoes!

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 17: Hell on Wheels Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

Sir Alan Sugar or Lord Sir Alan Sugar is the founder of Amstrad, the world’s most vigorous company, the host of The Apprentice UK (catchphrase: “you are a fire!”) and a visible figure throughout my life. This comic is a very very sideways reference to the comic below, which came out around the same time the Amstrad PCW was “hot stuff”. Think of Sugar as my comic universe’s Richard Branson.

4 pages next week as Steeple 17: Hell on Wheels Part 2 concludes.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

catlord posted:

I thought we were about to move on a month ago (almost exactly!) when we say the dog with the eyepatch, I have no idea why we're taking so long on the victory lap.
This MW story has been really weird. We didn't get to see the bad guy get caught, and that whole thing happened find of fast for a MW storyline. Now we are having the post-dogfighting ring bust story go on and on in a bunch of different directions (Greta's anxiety, the other kidnapped dog recovering, Mary and Dr Jeff talking about man's potential for inhumanity, and now Saul and Eve apparently starting a closer relationship. The dogfighting/dognapping, which I would think would be more the focus of the whole thing, is barely a part of the story.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Ronan just killed two kids

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Tiggum posted:

It's been a lot longer than that. Dungeons Undone, the current substory within the larger story of the Phantom rescuing Savarna from Gravelines, began on the 13th of February this year. The Phantom first learned Savarna was a prisoner and decided to go rescue her, and Mozz saw his vision of the future, in To Wrack and Ruin in Gravelines, which began back in May of 2021. Everything since then has been about the Phantom rescuing Savarna from Gravelines or Mozz warning him not to. But you could trace it all the way back to Then Came Towns Ellerbee, in which the Phantom rescued a different prisoner from Gravelines and we first learned that Savarna was there in February of 2021 (although the Phantom was unaware of that fact at the time). There was just a short intermission (Hello the Himalayas) between that story and the beginning of To Wrack and Ruin in Gravelines in which Heloise wrote (but did not send) a letter to her brother. It was foreshadowed even earlier though, in The Llongo Forest in which the Phantom visits "the woods that make men mad" and sees a vision of his own death, which is later confirmed as accurate by Mozz's prophecy. Never let it be said that Tony DePaul does not plan his stories out well in advance or keep track of continuity from one to the next.

When was that flaming skull phantom ghost that popped up to scream at the current Phantom that the bloodline was going to end 'because you done hosed up now'?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That's the Llongo Forest storyline mentioned from 2020 where he huffs swamp farts and guilt trips himself for Heloise absolutely kicking the poo poo out of the Nomad.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Mommy's thousand yard stare while Daddy takes a separate vacation

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

EBB posted:

Mommy's thousand yard stare while Daddy takes a separate vacation

ugh don't remind me. My friend's spouse recently got some spare cash, and rather than save it, or put it to the family use, she decided to go on a solo vacation to visit friends, leaving my friend alone with their 4 year old autistic daughter who is going through bad social withdrawal with school out.

Does Family Circus mom ever get a vacation without the kids? I can't remember comics like that.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Does Family Circus mom ever get a vacation without the kids? I can't remember comics like that.

There was that trip to the Grand Canyon where, at the end of the week, the dad dragged the kids away...

Just a woman, and 6,000 feet, and her thoughts.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

JethroMcB posted:

There was that trip to the Grand Canyon where, at the end of the week, the dad dragged the kids away...

Just a woman, and 6,000 feet, and her thoughts.

A bottle of cheap wine at 6000 feet is probably like, one and a quarter bottles of cheap wine at sea level.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Giant Ethicist posted:

Bardiche Hotel

:stare:

Ronan, the hero

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Cool, hopefully this is the authors admission that maybe we're not going to get any more Therapy cartoons about Popeye.

That would require Milholland to still be capable of writing something other than "identically-voiced characters snarking at each other about personal problems"