Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like when the Father ate dohnut and when son commaned authority figures to eat his pants

10/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I like stories.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I don't like yellow people.

(By yellow people I'm obviously not talking about Asians, I mean people with Jaundice.)

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I like when Lisa was piss and told Bart “get out”

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

This showed up in my YouTube suggestions and it finally happened. *Milhouse voice* We’re through the looking glass here, people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svQ4lzjR5Tk

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

You Are A Elf posted:

This showed up in my YouTube suggestions and it finally happened. *Milhouse voice* We’re through the looking glass here, people.

That's actually pretty cool. Wish the audio quality was better. I was going back through some music videos and I forgot how hard this old Dankmus goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iCKj7lKxsY

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Has anyone seen the Bad Bunny episode?

Not just in this thread I mean.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

dr_rat posted:

Yeah watching Citizen Kane for the first time was a lot of, Ohhhh right that make sense now.

Man a lot of kids cartoons loved to parody Citizen Kane. The Godfather as well.

They've been held up as high water marks in the 'film as art' pantheon forever, so people going through animation/writing degrees have probably had to watch and write about them for a class, if not multiple classes.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
As a kid the only thing I found unbelievable about Krusty was that any sort of famous entertainer would live in a small town like Springfield. Or that Springfield would have their own TV station, because by the 90s the concept of local access TV was more antiquated than clowns. We always had cable so I assume that every TV in America got the same channels.

And while I had never even heard of North by Northwest, by the time I saw it in college I realized I had indirectly seen half the film. The cropduster scene alone was parodied in no less than 4 Simpsons episodes.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

je1 healthcare posted:

As a kid the only thing I found unbelievable about Krusty was that any sort of famous entertainer would live in a small town like Springfield. Or that Springfield would have their own TV station, because by the 90s the concept of local access TV was more antiquated than clowns. We always had cable so I assume that every TV in America got the same channels.

And while I had never even heard of North by Northwest, by the time I saw it in college I realized I had indirectly seen half the film. The cropduster scene alone was parodied in no less than 4 Simpsons episodes.

That’s fair but I enjoyed the wild rises & dips in Krusty’s status when they hadn’t defined him yet, especially how sometimes he’s in an apartment cleaning his shower, then he’s buying mansions on a whim & being knighted.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Party Boat posted:

Wow, Scaramouche! What brings you to Springfield?

"hi lisa!"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ive been rewatching episodes from the good seasons while eating dinner lately and Lisa was so much better when she was sort of a brat and actually did funny poo poo. The ending of the itchy and sctratchy land episode is ace.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Lisa needs braces.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

veni veni veni posted:

Ive been rewatching episodes from the good seasons while eating dinner lately and Lisa was so much better when she was sort of a brat and actually did funny poo poo. The ending of the itchy and sctratchy land episode is ace.

Yeah, they forgot Lisa enjoys Itchy and Scratchy as well and is often willing to go along with Bart's shenanigans. It gets especially interesting when you have Bart's cunning and resourcefulness mixed with Lisa's forethought and book smarts.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Outpost22 posted:

Lisa needs braces.

Dental plan!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Data Graham posted:

Krusty is a Zanni from commedia dell'arte

But Doctor, I *am* Krusty the Clown

veni veni veni posted:

Ive been rewatching episodes from the good seasons while eating dinner lately and Lisa was so much better when she was sort of a brat and actually did funny poo poo.

I don't know why, but that bit from The PTA Disbands popped into my head recently. Sure, the "in this house we OBEY the laws of THERMODYNAMICS" is hilarious, but the fact that Lisa just bounds into the room with a dopey open-mouth grin is what gets me

Vakal
May 11, 2008
"Is that gum?" "Is that gum? "Is that gum?"

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

You Are A Elf posted:

now this I like

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

veni veni veni posted:

She used to be an 8 year old and the Simpsons used to be a show about the family dynamic - Lisa wanted to be popular and liked doing stuff with bart.

She has since become the whiny voice of reason and just doesn't really act like a kid anymore

At least, of the new episodes I've seen. Which aren't many.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Cosmik Debris posted:

She used to be an 8 year old and the Simpsons used to be a show about the family dynamic - Lisa wanted to be popular and liked doing stuff with bart.

...no?

yeah she hung out with bart sometimes and engaged in shenanigans, but she's always been a do-gooder who knew what she was doing wouldn't make her popular. and she's always proven that she was much smarter than she was for her age (again, that was a core part of her character!)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah she liked reading and scince and what not, but she did like playing and goofing around a whole bunch as well.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Mr Interweb posted:

...no?

yeah she hung out with bart sometimes and engaged in shenanigans, but she's always been a do-gooder who knew what she was doing wouldn't make her popular. and she's always proven that she was much smarter than she was for her age (again, that was a core part of her character!)

The episode where they're at the beach is like an entire episode dedicated to her wanting to be popular. It even opens with her thinking people will like her because of her work on the yearbook, and she gets really bummed when nobody signs her yearbook.

It was like, basically her primary character trait other than being a smarty-pants until they made her a vegan and Buddhist and what not.

And the episode where she babysits bart is all about her getting in over her head because at the end of the day she's just an 8 year old and isn't ready to handle being an adult.

And the one where she becomes a vegetarian she makes gazpacho for everyone thinking they will want it and gets laughed at and it makes her sad.

And then the episode with the pool is all about her rise to popularity and how she starts acting dumb to impress boys. And in that same episode she breaks into the flanders house because bart asks her to.

It was a common theme. The Cory hotline was a running gag at one point.

She also went along with bart's plan to write itchy and scratchy episodes under grampa's name in The Front. Not necessarily a bad thing to do but you'd expect her to raise a moral objection but without rewatching it I dont think she did.

Don't gaslight me.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 24, 2023

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I feel like Bart and Lisa went off in opposite directions. Lisa became a child-woman and Bart became a man-child.

Lisa was always a bit of a socially guarded know-it-all, but she was effectively still a kid, which made her relatable. She excelled in school, liked cartoons, had father figure issues, teased her brother when she had her friends round for a sleepover. Bart was a brat for sure, but for the most part, he was really just a slight update on the cheeky Dennis the Menace-type character, and he could obviously apply himself when he wasn't being failed by school, his parents, etc. You could have a bit of fun with his pranks, even if he did sometimes go too far, and feel for him when he failed because they captured his internal conflict.

Later on, they just made Lisa the moral compass for the show, possibly because they felt the need to get more overtly "political" after 9/11. This sometimes works for media that's already predominantly satirical, but it was annoying in the case of The Simpsons because you'd already been led to care for the characters over several years, while still enjoying the observational comedy. For Lisa, it meant she no longer acted like a child most of the time. Meanwhile, Bart lost most of his precious sympathetic qualities and was established over and over again as being literally mentally disabled. The latter isn't necessarily a bad thing in characterisation of course, but they couldn't be bothered to tackle it seriously or with any nuance. Instead, it was a punchline, and Bart was just a bland old mean kid because, well, that's easier to pull off and how merchandise had depicted him for years anyway.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Cosmik Debris posted:

until they made her a […] Buddhist

Lisa’s Buddhist tendencies are in the show very early on. She’s teaching Bart Zen koans in the Bart/Todd mini putt episode, and she’s meditating in the Bobo the Bear episode.

Her becoming a Buddhist in season 13 is actually strikingly true to her early character for a bad Simpsons episode.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

Yeah that's true, I just meant like, when they made her a paragon of morality (or really, a parody of leftists) and stopped letting her be a bratty but well meaning 8 year old know it all most of the time, which she was in the early years.

Like I said, early on it was very character driven but then they tried to make it more like south park and family guy and just went for the gag at the expense of the characters

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Lisa has been written like she's 30-something for a while now. I think there have been episodes about her having various middle-aged anxieties, like needing to think about settling for a romantic partner instead of keeping playing the field. Which is pretty hosed for an 8-year-old.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cosmik Debris posted:

She also went along with bart's plan to write itchy and scratchy episodes under grampa's name in The Front. Not necessarily a bad thing to do but you'd expect her to raise a moral objection but without rewatching it I dont think she did.

Don't gaslight me.

I feel that's the kind of plot that would absolutely require both of them; Bart has lots of ideas and energy but Lisa's probably the one who can help put them into a coherent shape and provide structure and editing to make them into a usable script, and she also clearly enjoys the creative process. They often work together well because they can cover each others' weaknesses. You see something similar with Lisa and Homer.

There's a few episodes where they end up swapping roles for whatever reason, but it's never an exact swap; like the pool episode has Lisa enjoy being the centre of attention without having to try while Bart is injured and unable to use the pool, and he instead ends up a recluse who kills time with writing. (a play he knows is terrible, but still) Or the aptitude test, when Lisa gives up on academic achievements and instead becomes a deliberately provocative troublemaker, while Bart as a hall monitor becomes Skinner's personal thug.

Actually a recurring theme that both Bart and Lisa have poor self-esteem and are prone to acting out in ways they think will get attention, Bart's just better at it and more shameless, while Lisa has more trouble seeing other people's points of view. (With the zombie writers clearly thinking it's because she's smarter than the ungrateful dum-dums rather than just immature and having more book smarts than practical experience) Heck, the beauty pageant episode outright has Homer motivated by realising Lisa's feeling insecure about her looks and wanting to prove she isn't ugly or unlikeable. (And it works! Second place is pretty drat good for a first time entrant!)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Most plots about Bart and/or Lisa make more sense if they were both around 6 years older, even in the old days.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Examples? Just rewatching early seasons and I would say that is not true at all.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
What gets fun is when you realize at least some kids are probably internalizing all the midlife crises as things that are normal and appropriate for an 8 year old to feel

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Examples? Just rewatching early seasons and I would say that is not true at all.

Moaning Lisa, Krusty gets Busted (and basically every Sideshow Bob episode since), Mr Lisa Goes to Washington, Bart's Friend Falls in Love, Lisa the Beauty Queen, Bart Gets Famous, Lisa vs Malibu Stacy, Bart's Girlfriend, Lisa the Iconoclast, Bart After Dark, Lisa's Date With Density, My Sister My Sitter, The Old Man and the Lisa, The Secret War Of Lisa Simpson.

This probably isn't most Bart and Lisa plots and definitely most of the exceptions to that rule are in this era. It's a gradual process too, stories where they get romances or jobs or otherwise are off on their own on some crusade or other with no adult supervision get more common as the show goes on. But at the same time there really aren't a lot of stories about them that outright wouldn't work if they were teenagers. I guess actual children are just hard to write a lot of stories about if you want to keep your show fairly grounded.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
That’s kind of true of every animated sitcom with kids, though. It’s more interesting if they don’t act exactly like real kids.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

That's a big thing in Wes Anderson movies - children that act like adults and adults that act like children.

It's a pretty solid premise, tbh, as long as you don't take it too far. Kids should still be kids.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's a pretty time-honored format. Home Movies, Simpsons, Calvin & Hobbes, Peanuts. Gives the audience the ability to connect with a POV character who can talk about politics or film history or the trials of society while still having only to deal with conflicts that a 10-year-old would face.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

It usually works within the realm kid logic too, like the Blank Check-esque stuff where the only impediment is resources and opportunies. As a 10-year-old you are totally starting to see yourself as a capable individual that is often held back.

Like I remember the logic of Bart on the Road being airtight when I saw it as a kid. It's impossible to get an ID as a kid, but if you somehow managed it then of course you could just rent a car and drive cross-country to the Wigsphere relatively incident-free.

It does stick out when they stop explaining different circumstances and just start giving modern Bart and Lisa the autonomy and social interactions of at least middle schoolers. There's no sense that these are kids off having an adventure as these is in all the other examples given, they act as independent young adults instead of being in that preliminary stage of exploration. In a weird way I blame Summer of 4 Foot 2 for being such a great episode that has the kids experiencing a more realistic social setting and it sort of poisons a lot of later writers who seem to want to write episodes of The OC with an 8-year-old.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Bart has had a lot of romance episodes and 3 marriages, but also a number of his relationships are underscored by not knowing what romance and sex is so that still relies on him being 10.

I do think that even outside of the future episodes, the writers do have an idea that Bart will peak early and live most of his life as a burnout bum. But it's weird when they try to criticize Bart on those ground because he's still just a kid.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That kid is like 60 years old by now the power plant just really hosed up everyone's aging, they're all immortal until they're just gone

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

SlothfulCobra posted:

I do think that even outside of the future episodes, the writers do have an idea that Bart will peak early and live most of his life as a burnout bum. But it's weird when they try to criticize Bart on those ground because he's still just a kid.

I wash myself with a rag on a stick :smug:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I haven't watched them but there are at least two modern Simpsons episodes that rely on the premise of Bart impregnating someone. I'm pretty sure the writers have no idea how old Bart is.