Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Wolfsheim posted:

Mando losing his good ship and all his cool weapons like the long rifle had a very 'beginning of the sequel where you start from 1st level' feel to it

Btw I'm not arguing that any of this is good or what they should be doing but its starting to feel really noticeable

Really nice catch and it does make sense that video game stories - which were purely utilitarian and confined to cutscenes or text dumps between levels but have gradually become structured to move the game itself forward in a diagetic fashion whenever possible - would start to influence other kinds of narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I would also argue that even ignoring the fact that it was announced in Fortnite, Palpatine returning in EpIX feels more like the surprise twist villain at the end of an NES game that only existed to have a final climactic boss battle than for any kind of narrative reason

That could also just be regular bad writing than an implicit video game thing though

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Reminder that Kenobi just straight-up lifted the entire Fortress Inquisitorius segment from Fallen Order

Shame Cal didn't do the Trench Coat Skip to bypass having to fight the Second Sister and Vader, so Kenobi beat his speedrun by a good thirty minutes

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Wolfsheim posted:

I would also argue that even ignoring the fact that it was announced in Fortnite, Palpatine returning in EpIX feels more like the surprise twist villain at the end of an NES game that only existed to have a final climactic boss battle than for any kind of narrative reason

That could also just be regular bad writing than an implicit video game thing though

It for real reminded me of the latter Mega Man and X games where a new big bad pops up but then at the very end don't worry it was Wily/Sigma the whole time!!!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Wolfsheim posted:

It is rather NES Ninja Gaiden II, now that you mention it. Where you're fighting against Ashtar the entire game, only surprise, Jaquio, the villain you killed in the first game, is back and the actual villain.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

thrawn527 posted:

It is rather NES Ninja Gaiden II, now that you mention it. Where you're fighting against Ashtar the entire game, only surprise, Jaquio, the villain you killed in the first game, is back and the actual villain.

Except he's a demonic skeletal dragon for some reason, 3 boss fights in a row no rest.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Except he's a demonic skeletal dragon for some reason, 4 boss fights in a row no rest.

Wasn't he also a literal wall at some point, too? That game was brutal.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

thrawn527 posted:

Wasn't he also a literal wall at some point, too? That game was brutal.

Yeah the final boss goes Jaquio (as you see him from NG1) -> wall -> skeletal dragon.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
The only map fetch quest that matters is the Denny's placemat

Molrok
May 30, 2011

Ominous Jazz posted:

I watched Phantom Menace too
Why do they have Palpatine's hologram sitting at the table with them every time we've seen someone hologramming in they're zoomed in and he's nestled in there pretty tight

So Maul can join the call, menacingly.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Have they ever shown both sides of a holocall?
Did palpatine see two holographic aliens at a table? Or their minis on the floor
How this poo poo work Lucas man?!!

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, having everyone else seated is really the only way to make Darth Smaul seem imposing:

Upsidads posted:

Have they ever shown both sides of a holocall?
They have:

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 25, 2023

Molrok
May 30, 2011

Solo had Maul take a zoom call while on the shitter (waiting for force pull to bring in the TP)

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ending up on the toilet without an rear end... the cruel destiny of the dark side

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

so if yoda was standing it would be bad zoom etiquette

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Molrok posted:

Solo had Maul take a zoom call while on the shitter (waiting for force pull to bring in the TP)

Lol

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

a powerful stance

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Tony gilroy has never even heard of a video game in his life. And thank loving god for him

Star Wars needs to be made exclusively by miserable adult-rear end adults.

You know, people who find Kramer vs. Kramer and Ordinary People to be the maximum amount of fantasy they could stomach in media.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

No Mods No Masters posted:

Ending up on the toilet without an rear end... the cruel destiny of the dark side

Always number 2 there are

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lol again

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

Molrok posted:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Molrok posted:

TP Menace.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

:perfect:

Molrok
May 30, 2011

:pusheen:

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Upsidads posted:

so if yoda was standing it would be bad zoom etiquette

I'm not sure anyone would notice

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Thread title IMO.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Wolfsheim posted:

-Ahsoka opens with her having to solve a Zelda style tomb puzzle to proceed not unlike noted ginger Jedi Cal Kestis

Its aesthetics are very Zeffo too, right down to the little map ball looking a lot like the spheres you have to manipulate in Fallen Order.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Molrok posted:

"This is Darth Maul. He has brought me more TP."

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Molrok posted:

poo poo was badass

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

this rocks but it did make me think does maul like, eat food still, or what is happening when your entire lower half is robot parts

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
He has a shiny, metal rear end.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

It's a waste cannery

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Does Darth Maul have a robot cock?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO7ChhhGdC0

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Wolfsheim posted:

this rocks but it did make me think does maul like, eat food still, or what is happening when your entire lower half is robot parts

He eats the same stuff Robocop does

Vintersorg posted:

Thread title IMO.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1695258923635515773
:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Ashoka Show is so glacially-paced and bereft of interesting concepts that it makes me long for the incompetence of Obiwan. Yuck! Strong avoid!