Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Brics is expanding.
https://twitter.com/RealPepeEscobar/status/1694621354580939158?t=WCXhFB8_1wTM9Ed8jfWcNg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

dk2m posted:

when I visited Shanghai before covid, I legitimately couldn’t believe it. I was expecting something advanced, but nothing prepared me for just how insanely ahead it felt compared to any American city. wandering around at night was a genuine experience.

I remember when I first visited in the 90s would see tons of bicycles since cars were a luxury. made me really sad to see the wasted potential here as neoliberal failson empire inheritors robbed us of our future and all we get are dumb apps called Milkr

you should see shenzhen

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Oceans 11

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

holy poo poo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Its time to go beyond the end of history...I call it, HISTORY! 2!!!!!! HHHNNnnngggggaaaaaaa!!!

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

Isn't Argentina a bit of a wild card if that ancap weirdo who only wants to trade with the "civilized nations" wins the upcoming election? I don't know how good his odds actually are but he could make things awkward.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

DiscountDildos posted:

Isn't Argentina a bit of a wild card if that ancap weirdo who only wants to trade with the "civilized nations" wins the upcoming election? I don't know how good his odds actually are but he could make things awkward.

They could just invite him to fly to Russia.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Orange Devil posted:

They could just invite him to fly to Russia.

surely nobody's gonna fall for that again for a while

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Popoto posted:

as I thought. was hoping I had missed one. thanks.

Comes up in the ukraine war thread quite a bit.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

DiscountDildos posted:

Yeah Argentina is a wild card, but you can say that of all of latin america right wing parties. So you are kinda always working with half of SA countries closely and other half not so closely.

However Argentina is already borrowing RMB, they may choose to resist closer relationship in other ways. Like for example AR is talking about buying chinese fighter planes (2nd hand Pakistani JF17?), but US quickly got got one of the European countries go over to AR and offer them half clearance priced F16. It's funny the west rather use the F16 to cockblock China's MIC instead of giving the F16 to Ukraine.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

getting those last three to agree to anything is quite impressive

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
Does anyone have a good article about the concrete policy stuff BRICS is working on aside from admitting new members? Is it a free trade thing, or facilitating international payments/settlement?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

They literally had a moment like last year or earlier this year where they all compared notes about the last decade and collectively realized the US was loving with all of them and blaming it on the others.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Orange Devil posted:

They literally had a moment like last year or earlier this year where they all compared notes about the last decade and collectively realized the US was loving with all of them and blaming it on the others.

Yeah it owns, BRICS owns

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Orange Devil posted:

, the jakarta method!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Does anyone have a good article about the concrete policy stuff BRICS is working on aside from admitting new members? Is it a free trade thing, or facilitating international payments/settlement?

:yeah:

I'd appreciate that as well.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Maybe just change the current thread title to reflect it. I think de-dollarization and BRICS future overlaps cover pretty similar geopolitic/finance news topics.

It's the same West vs Non-West power struggle.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
just make a new one

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

Egypt

Iran

Saudi Arabia

:rubby:

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

Orange Devil posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DLuALBnolM

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

wait, this is confirmed!? seems huge. not heard poo poo about UAE wanting to join

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

crepeface posted:

wait, this is confirmed!? seems huge. not heard poo poo about UAE wanting to join

This MBS guy is no joke.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

All three of them have been having very peaceful and cordial talks for a year or 2 now. After the usa's grip started slipping relstions began to normalize

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
peace nobel prize winner xi jinping

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

crepeface posted:

Yes. Bloomberg and Chinese media both reported it.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

How many countries have applied isnt it up to like 90 now

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Now if only some sort of defensive alliance could be made

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I read an analysis that the big loser of this round of expansion is Indonesia because it's the biggest applicant country by population.

Its pretty amazing that all relevant ME join at the same time. Next time when they expand south/central Asia, they probably will get Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Kazakhstan to join at the same time so CIR will each get a buddy country to join.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
presumably iran has wanted in the longest, but no one wanted to create any impression of forming a bloc with them that could be directed against ksa&uae, so those two get their invitations fast tracked. hopefully this means rapprochement has been locked in (also hopefully not in some weird way where they then both attack a minority like ethiopia-eritrea)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/nataliel663/status/1694780920060891266?t=opsBp_5m3e80W2yVzHxBWw&s=19

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Did you see this in March?

https://twitter.com/SpiritofHo/status/1634244618278584354?t=Dy9QHUub7cFdYL3yiem7Hw&s=19

China, Oman and others helped to broker peace deals between Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Iran, UAE, and others.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Mr Hootington posted:

Now if only some sort of defensive alliance could be made

that’s the SCO

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Has there been a lasting draw down in Yemen? I know there were talks when Iran & ksa first met but I never really saw much follow up reporting.

I know the cease fire has expired, and not sure if there's been serious negotiations about ending the war and saudi arabia leaving.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1694776556906750248

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the euro had been such a disaster for so many countries why would any little countries trust a big bric bloc of strong economies to never pull a germany-greece on them for the rest of civilization?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

the euro had been such a disaster for so many countries why would any little countries trust a big bric bloc of strong economies to never pull a germany-greece on them for the rest of civilization?

The west is not same as the east and the south.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I also don't think they're going for a common currency just a big trading block?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

net work error posted:

I also don't think they're going for a common currency just a big trading block?

yes thats what the tweet says

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Real hurthling! posted:

every day that goes by strengthens chinas case for global governance via the example of the bri, its win-win development model, its lack of military expeditions, etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

net work error posted:

why would anyone who has seen the EU want to establish a currency union