Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what do you like best
This poll is closed.
pics 69 0.39%
vids 420 2.40%
gazza.txt 8008 45.77%
havin yer mam 9001 51.44%
Total: 17498 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is a term of endearment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

joepinetree posted:

Literally. It's the u-20 Brazilian cup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saci_(Brazilian_folklore)

Internacional, the club in red, was the first in their state to have black players, and so internacional ended up incorporating a lot of the slurs their cross town rivals yelled at them as part of their identity. Gremio (the team in blue and their main rivals) is one of the few teams where they will do the thing common in Europe and Argentina of using "monkey" as a racist insult against other teams, so Internacional's other mascot is a monkey.

So there is racism involved, but not on part of internacional.

Did not know this, that's pretty cool actually!

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
At Donny would you believe

https://twitter.com/skybetleaguetwo/status/1691701390614098155?s=61&t=kZzNggVAQVMbD6Gfx_cTFA

monkeytennis fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 17, 2023

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
You have to manually change the “X” to “twitter” now

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

paddyboat posted:

You have to manually change the “X” to “twitter” now

Cheers I am not good with computer

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Hvidovres keeper running down to the dressing room, being gone for minutes with everyone looking confused .. And returning with blue shorts instead

https://twitter.com/ThomasLoftDR/status/1692593874424701379?t=p_A8WVYbP45fpVmIZVwGBg&s=19

As someone who poo poo my pants a few times.. I know that run

Woodenlung fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 18, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Was hoping at least one person would have tagged Lineker in that

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I used to wonder why he would slag spurs off so much and then I read he was a fan before he played for utd (and became so linked to them). It sort of makes sense. I remember him saying "spurs will always let you down" which is something a fan would say.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

One from the WWC final yesterday

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Sorry for the Reddit link. But this was a cool watch for me — Messi just strolling around for a minute before he scored his latest goal. Fascinating to see how a player can go from zero to a hundred just like that.

https://reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/15xd3sz/messis_movement_before_his_goal_vs_nashville_sc/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've always liked how Messi spends 90% of the time just walking around

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Dat shoulder drop tho

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Sorry for the Reddit link. But this was a cool watch for me — Messi just strolling around for a minute before he scored his latest goal. Fascinating to see how a player can go from zero to a hundred just like that.

https://reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/15xd3sz/messis_movement_before_his_goal_vs_nashville_sc/

Why are these always filmed by idiots who have no idea how to film poo poo? "Ah yes, portrait mode. That'll do. Oops, he's wandered slowly out of frame. No matter, I can get these fascinating shots of the grass!"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It looks almost too tight for that; like it was filmed landscape and then cropped for tiktok or whatever

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Thanks Ants posted:

I've always liked how Messi spends 90% of the time just walking around

Imagine how difficult it is to keep him “on track” with a “training” regime when saying it out loud can distract him for weeks.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Total Meatlove posted:

Imagine how difficult it is to keep him “on track” with a “training” regime when saying it out loud can distract him for weeks.

This but his Barça-tech doping

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Hello football forum, I just saw this and had a big ol laugh

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7166271700328336682

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
If you're a fan of confused looking NBA stars wondering what the gently caress they've bought an ownership stake in then Leeds United are the club for you

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Russ thought he was a manager for a sec with this scowl. He just needed a track suit and his arms crossed.

I watched some of the Ryan Reynold and Rob McElhenney documentary and they seem like they're a bit douchey and in it for themselves to some degree, but their hearts are *mostly* in the right place

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I watched Welcome to Wrexham and its interesting and well done.
But its also obvious that:
1- The entire series came about when someone went "hey, what if we did Ted Lasso as a reality show."
2- They had to make the entire rest of the league non-entities, because if it became clear that they had a budget that was like 5 to 10 larger than the average for the league they were playing in the whole sympathy angle might not have worked.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

League one players in the national league tend to do well, it's a revelation!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/brightonbubble/status/1694299775263178805?s=46

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

ilmucche posted:

League one players in the national league tend to do well, it's a revelation!

I don’t know what this means but I’m going to guess it means something along the lines of “NBA D-League players tend to do well in local 40+ church basketball leagues”

How close am I

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Toxic Mental posted:

I don’t know what this means but I’m going to guess it means something along the lines of “NBA D-League players tend to do well in local 40+ church basketball leagues”

How close am I

The football pyramid in England is as follows:

Premier League (also known as the EPL)
Championship (Top tier of the English Football league, also known as the EFL)
League One (EFL)
League Two (EFL)
National League (used to be known as the Conference League) (Not EFL)

There are tiers lower than the National League, there are god knows how many tiers in Semi-Pro and Amateur Football, but for the last 15 or so years Wrexham were the oldest professional team playing in the National League.

Paul Mullin was playing in League 2 for Cambridge United the season before Rob & Ryan took over Wrexham, he was the top scorer in that league winning the Golden Boot award with 32 league goals in 46 appearances and he left for Wrexham on a free transfer. In his first season in the National League he also won the Golden Boot with 26 league goals in 38 appearances, 32 goals in all competitions.

Players from League One playing in the National League are generally even more of a cheat code and Wrexham signed Ollie Palmer from League One club AFC Wimbledon for a club record fee of £300,000.

In his first season for Wrexham he scored 15 league goals in 21 games.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 24, 2023

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
renaming the conference to the "national league" is one of the stupidest loving things i've ever seen in football

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Just as dumb that League One isn’t the top league. Or that Championship isn’t the top league. None of the names make sense.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Vegetable posted:

Just as dumb that League One isn’t the top league. Or that Championship isn’t the top league. None of the names make sense.

When I were a lad it was

Division 1
Division 2
Division 3
Football Conference

Then in 1992 everything changed with the creation of the Premier League and all the money that came with being in it.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Vegetable posted:

in france ligue 1 is the top league

like god loving intended it to be

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Never forget Ligue 1 Uber Eats

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Dell_Zincht posted:

The football pyramid in England is as follows:

Premier League (also known as the EPL)
Championship (Top tier of the English Football league, also known as the EFL)
League One (EFL)
League Two (EFL)
National League (used to be known as the Conference League) (Not EFL)

There are tiers lower than the National League, there are god knows how many tiers in Semi-Pro and Amateur Football, but for the last 15 or so years Wrexham were the oldest professional team playing in the National League.

Paul Mullin was playing in League 2 for Cambridge United the season before Rob & Ryan took over Wrexham, he was the top scorer in that league winning the Golden Boot award with 32 league goals in 46 appearances and he left for Wrexham on a free transfer. In his first season in the National League he also won the Golden Boot with 26 league goals in 38 appearances, 32 goals in all competitions.

Players from League One playing in the National League are generally even more of a cheat code and Wrexham signed Ollie Palmer from League One club AFC Wimbledon for a club record fee of £300,000.

And to add on to this:

When Wrexham was in the national league, their yearly budget was between 5 to 10 times larger than other clubs. They failed promotion their first try, but managed on the second. This year they will play on league 2, and their budget is "just" twice as much as the second highest budget in league 2. Getting Ollie Palmer isn't even the biggest reach for Wrexham. When their goalkeeper got hurt they hired Ben Foster, who played in the premier league in 2022. He's old and on the verge or retirement, but no other national league club would be able to go "our starting goalie is out, get someone from the premier league." He's not even paid that much, since he wants to be a youtuber after he retires he just wants the exposure.

Only reason I mention this is because the tv show has very much a vibe of "look at how nice these guys are spending their own money on the community, and look at what an underdog story." And the reality is that the hulu contract alone has already covered all the wrexham expenses and far from an underdog, it is comparatively a behemoth in the leagues they play.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Dell_Zincht posted:

I'm going to assume that's bonkers "men playing amongst boys"-levels of goal scoring

I think I got it. So basically if I won like $300 million in the US lottery I could buy some dumpy National League team for a 1-2 million pounds, bring in some overpowered League One/League Two players for only a few hundred thousand quid, and then brute force promote, and finally sell the team for 5x what I bought it for? Does that sound about right?

Also yeah the naming of the Leagues makes no sense because they all sound like they're vying to be the top flight level of English football

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

noted top bloke ben foster retired like 4 days ago

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Okay also, unrelated question:

Rogerio Ceni scored a zillion free kick goals, but wouldn't that basically always leave his team's goal undefended? How did that even work? did they have someone else play back just in case?

Also is there any stat of the highest scoring non-penalty non-free kick goalkeeper of all time? Like just scoring during a game randomly

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Toxic Mental posted:

I'm going to assume that's bonkers "men playing amongst boys"-levels of goal scoring

I think I got it. So basically if I won like $300 million in the US lottery I could buy some dumpy National League team for a 1-2 million pounds, bring in some overpowered League One/League Two players for only a few hundred thousand quid, and then brute force promote, and finally sell the team for 5x what I bought it for? Does that sound about right?

Also yeah the naming of the Leagues makes no sense because they all sound like they're vying to be the top flight level of English football

Yes, except Reynolds and the always sunny guy are probably not going to be selling it any time soon. Their HULU deal alone got them like 5 million dollars for season 1. They bought the club for a little under 3. They are now sponsored by United Airlines, they are on the FIFA games, they tour the US. I am sure at some point the novelty will wear off and they will sell it for more than they bought, but right now its a money printing machine.

Toxic Mental posted:

Okay also, unrelated question:

Rogerio Ceni scored a zillion free kick goals, but wouldn't that basically always leave his team's goal undefended? How did that even work? did they have someone else play back just in case?

Also is there any stat of the highest scoring non-penalty non-free kick goalkeeper of all time? Like just scoring during a game randomly

Ceni was pretty selective on when he took free kicks. He wasn't taking the ones where you'd be crossing the ball in. He'd be taking the ones relatively close and straight ahead. Meaning that if he didn't score odds are that the ball was going out of bounds. So not a prime counter-attack situation. Of course, sometimes he did get scored on because he was out of position

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4Mums6ENiA&t=19s

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 24, 2023

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I can't let page 666 go without posting this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=834gDrY2Hd8

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Dell_Zincht posted:

When I were a lad it was

Division 1
Division 2
Division 3
Football Conference

not unless you were a lad in 1958 it weren't

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Chas McGill posted:

:mbisonyes:

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

Best part is Cantona saying au revoir rather than adieu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

joepinetree posted:

Yes, except Reynolds and the always sunny guy are probably not going to be selling it any time soon. Their HULU deal alone got them like 5 million dollars for season 1. They bought the club for a little under 3. They are now sponsored by United Airlines, they are on the FIFA games, they tour the US. I am sure at some point the novelty will wear off and they will sell it for more than they bought, but right now its a money printing machine.

Ryan Reynolds has also made about $500m in the last couple years selling Aviation Gin and Mint Mobile. He doesn’t need the $20m or whatever he’d get if they stall out in League One in a couple seasons