Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I honestly don't even think about 6.1-.4 when someone mentions Endwalker even though it obviously is part of it. It just feels like a completely separate thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Does 6.x land more if you're an FFIV fan? Because I've never played FFIV so the only thing pulling me along is my undying love for Zero. Literally could not give a single gently caress about Golbez or the archfiends.

Though, Barbs was cool because I am of the opinion that her trial is the best normal trial ever added to the game. It's so much loving fun. And she's hot.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

Does 6.x land more if you're an FFIV fan? Because I've never played FFIV so the only thing pulling me along is my undying love for Zero. Literally could not give a single gently caress about Golbez or the archfiends.

Though, Barbs was cool because I am of the opinion that her trial is the best normal trial ever added to the game. It's so much loving fun. And she's hot.

As a non IV player, it works for me even though I know it's all references going over my head, or ive seen pics of their IV versions. Maybe it's banking a little too much on that factor but there are things the last few patches I've adored. The whole first dungeon in the post EW patch. The design and music made me want an expac of that poo poo. Zero meeting the Lopporites even though she's been kind of rote before then. The whole 'we want to invade so we can die' thing. Walking on the 13th's blood moon!

So, yeah the parts that are directly references aren't landing but I'm far from hating it.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

and also most of human history is destroyed every couple thousand years.

Its this OP. Hard to analyze “huh my fireball gets huge when I’m full of passion” when everyone’s poo poo got pushed in and you’re scrabbling in the dirt for survival.

It’s hard to overstate how much Louisoix saved the universe with his stunt. How far would we be if Ascians and Garlemald were a 2000 year old myth that ends with “and then a dragon blew up everything”

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't really care about any of the FFIV references. The only references I've cared about are a few of the VI ones.

I still think the 6.x patches are fine storywise. The only thing I want from IV is a Lunar core remix.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Countblanc posted:

I honestly don't even think about 6.1-.4 when someone mentions Endwalker even though it obviously is part of it. It just feels like a completely separate thing.

Yeah, same -- I like the current storyline but I do think its a little too tied to FF4 for my tastes and feels too much like a filler arc. Although I do hope Zero comes along with us in Dawntrail.

Also the trial fights have been lit.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Mordiceius posted:

It's going to depend on the fan, obviously, but, uh, absolutely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stANB_pY0rk

Onean fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 24, 2023

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
6.X: I've played but not beaten FFIV, and I feel like the patch quests aren't like, super compelling to me right now but it's not really bothering me at the moment. I plowed from ARR to 6.1 in five months, I can handle some low-key quests while the next expansion is being assembled. However I would die for Zero.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

6.x is a fun story but it kind of cant be as good as the 5.1-5.3 stuff because that stuff was part of the shadowbringers story while the endwalker patch story is just its own little thing. like its closer to a raid series story.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Countblanc posted:

That's cause it is. All of the other expansions kind of wrap up the expac story around the X.4 patch. Afterwards, they start building directly to the next expansion.

In this case, they didn't want to wait until 6.4 to finish the EW story, and finished it at 6.0. All the post 6.0 patches feel like a different story because they are one. This expansion 100% of the post expac patches are new story setting up future content.

e:f;b.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I played all of 6.x so far before starting FF4 (I started it recently) but I was still very interested in the patch quests because the thirteenth is very interesting to me, and I like the characters involved. I was not bothered by missing the references.

Maybe that's because the only final fantasy games I've played aside from starting 4 are Crystal Chronicles and Theatrhythm, so it's not like I completely get any references in past content either.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m just wondering what the lead into Dawntrail is going to look like, considering this story is already taking up the entire traditional patch cycle

Like, I’m wondering if they might do a .6 patch

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ImpAtom posted:

I mean it hasn't. We find out about it because people are literally investigating it and there are cases of techniques or skills which easily can be attributed to Dynamis. It isn't as well documented as Aether because it's more intangible and also most of human history is destroyed every couple thousand years.

I went back and watched the Nidhana explains Akasa custscene and this appears to be more or less correct. Hannish alchemists study it and treat it as it's own thing while Eorzean scholars just lump it in with aether like dopes.

As far as the 6.x stuff, I have 0 love for FF4 but I am still liking this series a lot. The references mean nothing to me, but learning more about the void is cool and if this yields a pathway to exploring other shards then I am all for it. Golbez is a reasonably decent villain given the limited screentime he's able to get and the 4 fiends have all been fun fights. Well maybe minus rubicante who I have only fought twice, don't have strong Rubicante opinions. But Barbaricia is definitely my favorite normal trial.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

I’m just wondering what the lead into Dawntrail is going to look like, considering this story is already taking up the entire traditional patch cycle

I assume we'll save the world and then in the wrapup someone'll go to the WoL "Hey, wanna go on vacation?"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Barbex is a great fight, too.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I assume we'll save the world and then in the wrapup someone'll go to the WoL "Hey, wanna go on vacation?"

Just as well. We've saved the world a half dozen times, it's time for a good ol' fashioned beach episode casual romp through unknown distant lands

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Yeah, if anything, I personally feel like 6.x is stretched a bit too thin story-wise. It feels like 3 patches of story stretched out to 5. It's not bad but I feel like the "Okay, now we need to wait. Come back in 4 months" are a lot more egregious this time.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

People say this every expansion cycle and it will never happen.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
That's why they gave you island sanctuary. You can use that to take a load off.

I've never actually done IS so I can't really say.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
You get to use it to test a new strain of capitalism

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

People say this every expansion cycle and it will never happen.

Yeah, maaaaaybe 6.55 will have more than four quests in it, but there's a delicate balance needed to avoid a repeat of the absolute slog that 2.5 and 2.55 was.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

As someone who played 4 when it was released as 2, and loved it, for the 6.x patches, the music was the only thing that pressed my nostalgia button. I was neutral on The Four Archfiends, and initially neutral on Golbez until we found out that the original person in the armor was Cecil, and whoever that other guy is put on his armor after Cecil died, and changed his name to the same as the legendary hero, Golbez.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Island sanctuary has crafting and gathering elements, but classless so you don't need your DoL or DoH jobs to advance. There's also animal husbandry. But it's all in service of earning island specific currency to spend on specific to the island stuff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the island sanctuary hairstyle is one of the best in the game so its worth it for that

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Except you can use island funbux to buy crafting and gathering materia so it’s capitalism, ho!

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I have my daisy dukes I'm good

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kheldarn posted:

As someone who played 4 when it was released as 2, and loved it, for the 6.x patches, the music was the only thing that pressed my nostalgia button. I was neutral on The Four Archfiends, and initially neutral on Golbez until we found out that the original person in the armor was Cecil, and whoever that other guy is put on his armor after Cecil died, and changed his name to the same as the legendary hero, Golbez.

Not exactly...

The original in the armour was Golbez, and is now a crystal on the moon. The Golbez we fight was Durante. Cecil wasn't ever brought up.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

boo this man!! boo!!! booooooo!!!!!

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

you could even use the orchestrion plugin to replace it with whatever clown music you like

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I love FFIV and all of the references in 6.1-4 own, hth

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i like Zero a lot

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kerrzhe posted:

i like Zero a lot

Prob my favorite addition to the cast.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Feldegast42 posted:

Although I do hope Zero comes along with us in Dawntrail.

They've said the scions will be split into two competing groups. My theory is that this means Zero eating nachos will compete with G'raha eating a taco

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

As someone who is a fan of IV, I certainly appreciate seeing and fighting the four fiends and Golbez, even if they're very different from the original versions. Some of those differences are cool, though.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
The music in the ff iv fights slaps.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

bobtheconqueror posted:

The music in the ff iv fights slaps.

This. Every reimagining has been awesome. I'm stoked for the final fight.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Also, The Aetherfont is the best dungeon in EW.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
FFXIV modders have gone too far.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Ojjeorago posted:

FFXIV modders have gone too far.

This should apply only to goblin dialogue or, perhaps, only to non-goblin dialogue.

Now I just want a mod where you can assign different fonts to different NPCs, so you can spice up some boring quest lines by making all the corrupted crystal researchers talk in Mr. Saturn font

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Omega with that calculator font