Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hi, I'm considering getting a tv and I have a few questions. my requirements are

a) has airplay
b) ads can be either avoided or disabled

I would most likely just be using it for airplay and for console gaming - I guess for airplay I have to connect it to the internet? maybe I can just do it for that and disconnect otherwise?

another question would be optimal size if i'm sitting about 9.5' away - the screen would be at the same height as I am (my sofa is just a tad shorter than my credenza). I looked this up, and it sounds like either 49" or 55"?

lastly, how noticeable is OLED over regular LED? I don't think it would affect how my airplay stuff (videos on my computer), maybe it helps with the ps5 a bit? the price is usually more than I'd want to spend given I don't think I'll see a big benefit

I've been looking at LG a lot, this one looks good for non-OLED https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-50ur9000pua-4k-uhd-tv

thanks

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Lg oled with an Apple TV

Yes, the lg can do native airplay but appletv is better

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

kri kri posted:

Lg oled with an Apple TV

Yes, the lg can do native airplay but appletv is better

what makes it better?

I'm not sure I want to spend so much for the OLED yet. I haven't owned a tv in 3-4 years.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

wash bucket posted:

Random thought: but I suddenly remembered that Nielsen Families used to be a thing. I can even remember rumors that so-and-so's family was a Nielsen family and it was treated like a prestigious secret as if our favorite shows would live and die by their whims.

It's a funny idea to think back on now that all our TVs, phones, and apps are constantly reporting our viewing habits and there are numerous open source projects dedicated to stopping it. Meanwhile Netflix is notorious for cancelling everyone's favorite shows after one season because they didn't like the metrics. The future is weird.

My household actually is currently a Nielson family. Had 3 or 4 surveys sent our way, last one was about AM/FM and digital music listening habits
E: I mean, not TV like the article, but we are sent surveys on habits

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

DoubleT2172 posted:

My household actually is currently a Nielson family. Had 3 or 4 surveys sent our way, last one was about AM/FM and digital music listening habits

I'm honestly surprised they're still a thing given the billions of other ways there are to collect metrics these days.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

GreenNight posted:

98" TLC for $4k and free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NLJ8ZZS

Not gonna lie, that would take up the entire "tv wall" of our den, with about 6" to spare in each direction, but that is tempting. We were gonna do 85" but if 95" will fit why not. That's practically all we use that room for anyways

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Want pics if you do it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The ad says 86 x 50 inches right? 7 x 4 foot. Not even the size of a sheet of plywood

Shoot, if I move my aquarium about 4 inches to the left I could put one in my crappy 10x12' home office, which might be helpful for my productivity by just leaving my jira tickets up on the wall all day

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

actionjackson posted:

Hi, I'm considering getting a tv and I have a few questions. my requirements are

a) has airplay
b) ads can be either avoided or disabled

Most of the tv OSes do airplay by default so you're good on that end.

All tvs have ads now. You can keep them off the internets but that probably kills the whole airplay thing.

OLEDs show true blacks, so you're getting a better contrast ratio in the picture, though you're only going to get the best image in dark rooms. LG OLED would probably be the way to go since the B series has a 120hz panel that should play well with your PS5.

LG and Samsung are surprisingly not the best TVs when it comes to their cheaper or mid-range stuff. You'll get a better value proposition from Hisense and TCL. Check out the Hisense UH8 or TCL 6 series if you want to stick to the $500-$700 range for a 55".

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

wash bucket posted:

Random thought: but I suddenly remembered that Nielsen Families used to be a thing. I can even remember rumors that so-and-so's family was a Nielsen family and it was treated like a prestigious secret as if our favorite shows would live and die by their whims.

It's a funny idea to think back on now that all our TVs, phones, and apps are constantly reporting our viewing habits and there are numerous open source projects dedicated to stopping it. Meanwhile Netflix is notorious for cancelling everyone's favorite shows after one season because they didn't like the metrics. The future is weird.

I was a Nielsen family back in 2018-2019, I believe. You had to wear a pager-like device on your person at all times that determined what show you were watching due to some ultrasonic signal that was buried in the audio of the show. Except I don't think the streaming shows did that, and we had already cut the cord a number of years earlier and it's all we watched. Not sure what usable data they got from us, they eventually dropped us because my wife eventually refused to wear the stupid thing. I believe they were looking to replace the pagers with some sort of fitbit-like device you wore on your wrist, but we never got that far.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

actionjackson posted:

what makes it better?

I'm not sure I want to spend so much for the OLED yet. I haven't owned a tv in 3-4 years.

Definitely go for the Apple TV rather than relying on Smart TV stuff. And an OLED might be cheaper than you think, I saw a 55” C2 on Costco for $600 last week.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Using the stock Smart TV bullshit means connecting it to Wi-Fi. Which means in two years they'll release an "update" that will cripple the UI and make it unusably slow. Six months later they'll send another update that'll start showing ads on the main menu. Plus the tv will send back all sorts of unapproved telemetry. Your first mistake was even playing the smart TV game

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Using the stock Smart TV bullshit means connecting it to Wi-Fi. Which means in two years they'll release an "update" that will cripple the UI and make it unusably slow. Six months later they'll send another update that'll start showing ads on the main menu. Plus the tv will send back all sorts of unapproved telemetry. Your first mistake was even playing the smart TV game

who makes an OLED dumb tv?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Santa Claus

I'd love to be proven wrong tough.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Lg that doesn’t get connected to the internet

Mine I unblock every few months to get firmware updates then I block it again

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

kri kri posted:

that sounds good

the distance recommendation sites tell me that for 9.5' I want around a 70" TV? that seems awfully huge. Here's some boxes for 48", 55" and 65".

this is for overall size, not just screen size.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

actionjackson posted:

the distance recommendation sites tell me that for 9.5' I want around a 70" TV? that seems awfully huge. Here's some boxes for 48", 55" and 65".

Best Buy has a surprisingly good augmented reality feature on their app that let's you plonk down a 3D model of a given TV in your space to see how well it fits.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

this looks like i want at least 77 inches wtf

more likely 83 or 88 inches based on 114 inches away from tv

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

actionjackson posted:

that sounds good

the distance recommendation sites tell me that for 9.5' I want around a 70" TV? that seems awfully huge.

You get adjusted to the larger size really quick. We have a 65" and 55" look tiny now

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hadlock posted:

You get adjusted to the larger size really quick. We have a 65" and 55" look tiny now

it's more just how much it dominates my space in that area

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm about 9' from my new 65" and it seems loving massive, fwiw

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

actionjackson posted:

that sounds good

I don't think 65" will be too big for you in that spot, and also keeping it low on that wall will be good for your neck. I'd center the screen between those speakers. It seems huge to you now but like 30 minutes in Gran Turismo will change your perspective.

As for Airplay, (nearly) every TV will support it, but will require being connected to the internet to do so. Apple standards tend to work best on apple devices, though, so be prepared to get an Apple TV if you find the experience to be subpar. As a side benefit you'll get fewer ads and Apple makes 'em look good, kinda?

A TV that uses Google TV as the OS will probably be the most hackable if you absolutely don't want ads (people have developed sideloaded launchers that bypass the standard one). Roku OS has one big ad next to the app selection screen but is not the worst. I would avoid WebOS TVs if you can help it; they're choked with ads and it's very difficult to modify them.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

kri kri posted:

This is what I do too. I wanted some smart features and a few apps so I just got the Onn android TV box from Walmart for $20, it's been great for how little it costs. Started using Smartube instead of the native YouTube app and now no ads or sponsored segments!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Tricky Ed posted:

As for Airplay, (nearly) every TV will support it, but will require being connected to the internet to do so. Apple standards tend to work best on apple devices, though, so be prepared to get an Apple TV if you find the experience to be subpar. As a side benefit you'll get fewer ads and Apple makes 'em look good, kinda?

I've gotten so many positive comments from non-AppleTV user who comes over and notice the aerial drone screensavers. At the very least, the Apple TV's interface feels a lot less bogged down with sponsored content than a Roku, Android TV, or Fire Stick. A lot of people don't care enough to spend the money on one, though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Switching from AppleTV to Firesticks or Rokus is a very noticeable downgrade for me. I have a FS on a few TVs still and it definitely tests patience.

And yeah those screensavers are awesome to have on in the background.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

Switching from AppleTV to Firesticks or Rokus is a very noticeable downgrade for me. I have a FS on a few TVs still and it definitely tests patience.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.codingbuffalo.aerialdream&hl=en_US

On LG (at least my c1) the input switching is completely independent of homescreen, so i see no ads. Even launching the built in Plex using a shortcut button there are no ads.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Corb3t posted:

I've gotten so many positive comments from non-AppleTV user who comes over and notice the aerial drone screensavers.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oh yeah, on paper they seem like a "who cares" feature but it's really cool to be sitting around drinking and listening to music with friends while a 4K aerial shot of a city at night starts playing.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I cant believe no ones kickstartered a dumb TV with a slot you can insert some kinda open sourced processing module into that can be easily replaced when need be. I suppose getting the panels wouldn't be easy when the whole purpose of this project would be to subvert smart TV advertisements and associated fuckery.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

codo27 posted:

I cant believe no ones kickstartered a dumb TV with a slot you can insert some kinda open sourced processing module into that can be easily replaced when need be. I suppose getting the panels wouldn't be easy when the whole purpose of this project would be to subvert smart TV advertisements and associated fuckery.

Also barely anyone cares

You can run any sets using Google TV (including Sony OLEDs) in basic mode which deactivates the smart features

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Has anyone ever noticed their Apple TV having a much different volume level compared to everything else? Like, I'll be playing games on my PS5 with my receiver set at a comfortable volume. But if I switch over to my Apple TV it will be blowing my head off with how loud it is and I have to turn the volume way, way down.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

codo27 posted:

That's already been a thing for years. An earlier version was IIRC the launch platform for the original Pi Compute Module.

https://www.sharpnecdisplays.us/system-on-a-chip

The thing is consumers generally aren't willing to pay for it.

Modern consumer televisions are so cheap partially because the promoted apps, ads, and tracking are all worth something to the vendor. They sell the TV itself with slim margins, maybe even losing money on the hardware itself, with the expectation of making it up by selling a digital billboard in someone's living room. That one TV with the second display for ads is just making this explicit.

Beyond all that, most people don't care what OS their smart TV runs so modularity is not a selling point to anyone other than the absolute nerdiest like apparently you and I. A dongle or box plugged in to a HDMI port isn't exactly a major problem for a home use case either, so even those of us who care can easily use whatever we want. The digital signage market of course wants to be able to run their own OS and does not want to have to have external boxes if they can avoid it so it works there.

There are also hospitality market TVs that run basically the same smart TV hardware and software as a retail TV but have a version of the OS without ads so guests can use their favorite streaming apps but hotels don't have to worry about their TVs showing banners for a competitor in the menus. Those are usually less expensive than digital signage displays because they aren't expected to be running at full brightness 24/7 but still substantially more than a comparable retail model would be.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

if you use apple tv on an LG OLED are there any ads? or at least ones that can't be removed

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

actionjackson posted:

this looks like i want at least 77 inches wtf

more likely 83 or 88 inches based on 114 inches away from tv

Charts like this are made by the same kind of people who claim you “need” 5 grand in subwoofers for a small living room because you need 120db at 12hz or else it’s not worth doing. I sit 10 feet from a 55” and it’s fine for a normal human living room but I’d definitely be happier with a 65. That said I pull a chair up and sit closer when I want to really get into a game

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

actionjackson posted:

if you use apple tv on an LG OLED are there any ads? or at least ones that can't be removed

No

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

No ads.

The only annoying default setting that the Apple TV has is they map the home screen button on the remote to their "TV" app, which showcases different media across different streaming apps. If regularly stream across different apps, this is nice because it will let you continue where you left off without navigating to that specific app, but if you're only using Plex or whatever, it will just show a bunch of media you can't access.

You can remap the home button to take you to the home screen and ignore the TV app altogether, if you really wanted to (I map the home button to take me back to the home screen, but use different streaming apps so I find myself continuing where I left off from the TV app), which is really clean with media you've been watching at the top so you can continue where you left off and app icons below it.

It's definitely the cleanest and smoothest user experience on any streaming box I've used. Some hardcore AV nerds prefer the Shield TV because it can handle lossless audio codecs, but that's a pretty niche use-case.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 25, 2023

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks! as i said i would just be using it for airplay and console gaming

edit: is the c3 significantly better than the c2? doesn't seem to be a big price difference

https://www.tomsguide.com/face-off/lg-c3-oled-vs-c2-oled

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 25, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

wash bucket posted:

Has anyone ever noticed their Apple TV having a much different volume level compared to everything else? Like, I'll be playing games on my PS5 with my receiver set at a comfortable volume. But if I switch over to my Apple TV it will be blowing my head off with how loud it is and I have to turn the volume way, way down.

Apple TV transcodes everything to LPCM and audio devices do seem to sometimes have different default volume levels between DD and PCM.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
the tv app is kinda nice to keep track of what you’re watching if the app supports it. loving netflix.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't really fault Netflix for that. Getting integrated into the TV app means handing over a lot of viewing habit data to Apple and why in the ever-loving gently caress would you want to do that with a competitor? It also keeps people out of the app more so discoverability takes a hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
On this topic, I've got a Samsung oled arriving tomorrow, and is goon consensus that I'm better off getting a streaming dongle and keeping my TV dumb and offline rather than using tizen?

Will I get an equal viewing experience if I use a 4k fire stick (which supports hdr10, Dolby atmos etc) rather than the integrated apps?