Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Popete posted:

CIG sending employees to hangout at other companies Gamescom booths is one of the funniest parts of this whole fiasco.

I can only imagine they were instructed to steal any code they could when ever the people at the booths weren't looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/Zsmd88Y.mp4

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Mr Fronts posted:

I don't know about anyone else, but I, for one, have definitely got my money's worth out of my Completionist Package, even if no game is ever released.

At least that's how I see it.

Whatever happened to Captain BTak ? Did he just drift away?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

smellmycheese posted:

Whatever happened to Captain BTak ? Did he just drift away?

Once a year on Feb 2 it's Captain B-Tak day. He comes out of his basement, and if he sees his own shadow cast by the early sun he will retreat back into his basement and Star Citizen will not come out for another year.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

dr_rat posted:

I can only imagine they were instructed to steal any code they could when ever the people at the booths weren't looking.

It would still be a marked improvement over CRobber’s exploits during conferences of old, where his large mouth almost got Origin sur into a smoking crater when he publicly bragged about reverse-engineering code from LucasArt to make Wing Commander.

Fortunately, their lawyers and PR-people cooled it down and slapped him silly and silent.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Another lap around SC for Hello Games:

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1694696224664789098

No Mans Sky adding freighter battles, big ship vs big ship vs small ships among some other changes. Yes I know the game is not perfect with it's "fill up bars or die" gameplay but even so it adds features that SC has been claiming to one day have. For free, for the last 7 years. Astonishing.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Can I just say how amazing Hello Games is as a company? They were a small indie development studio, accidentally got thrown into the "so deep its the Marianas Trench" end of the pool when their sci-fi survival game blew way out of proportion, and when poo poo hit the fan when the game released, they just buckled down and worked and polished that game until it was what people had hyped No Man's Sky to be, AND THEN KEPT GOING. It's simply amazing to see that its still getting whole new updates 7 years later on. Like, this is still all for free, right? They haven't had any paid DLC for the game outside of maybe a "upgrade your copy to the collectors edition" stuff?

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Lol even CIG staff can't stay away from the "$person at $company first thought about maybe making this title 25 years ago, so they have been developing it for 25 years, please ignore when the 10-man proof of concept code was actually started or the eventual greenlight to start full production given"

By that metric Store Citizer started development just after Freelancer shipped and Croberts thought about making a sequel :thunk:

Edit: initial concept would be 2004/5
proof of concept would be pre-kickstarter so 2012/3
greenlight would be post-kickstarter so 2013+

NumptyScrub fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 24, 2023

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

NumptyScrub posted:

Lol even CIG staff can't stay away from the "$person at $company first thought about maybe making this title 25 years ago, so they have been developing it for 25 years, please ignore when the 10-man proof of concept code was actually started or the eventual greenlight to start full production given"

By that metric Store Citizer started development just after Freelancer shipped and Croberts thought about making a sequel :thunk:

Nah. It first started in 1977 when CRobber went to see Star Wars. He even said so in one of the Kotaku interviews.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Game begins at conception (of the idea).

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Tippis posted:

Nah. It first started in 1977 when CRobber went to see Star Wars. He even said so in one of the Kotaku interviews.

poo poo I am still older than SC then :corsair:

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Wait, is this mine? Better take it home just to be safe.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Randalor posted:

Can I just say how amazing Hello Games is as a company? They were a small indie development studio, accidentally got thrown into the "so deep its the Marianas Trench" end of the pool when their sci-fi survival game blew way out of proportion, and when poo poo hit the fan when the game released, they just buckled down and worked and polished that game until it was what people had hyped No Man's Sky to be, AND THEN KEPT GOING. It's simply amazing to see that its still getting whole new updates 7 years later on. Like, this is still all for free, right? They haven't had any paid DLC for the game outside of maybe a "upgrade your copy to the collectors edition" stuff?

Yes, I paid 30 bucks on release and not a cent more, and all the content (with the exception of time sensetive Expedition stuff) is avaliable.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/Galaxt1ka/status/1694721157155737783
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1694634469502906497
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1694682521034695111

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

The amount they have to pay these people to embarrassingly mooch from booth to booth of better games would surely be less than getting your own booth.

Or these people have no value for their dignity.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

i am a moron posted:

Definitely a thing you’ve imagined. People’s insistence about posting poo poo about the game in a thread that has nothing to do with it and then getting their defensiveness about their favorite milquetoast developer compared to SC fans is a thing tho

Have you considered therapy?

People are posting about SF in this thread because SC related/adjacent folks keep bringing it up lol

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

lobsterminator posted:

The amount they have to pay these people to embarrassingly mooch from booth to booth of better games would surely be less than getting your own booth.

If they got their own booth, they'd probably have to show what the game is like. That will never happen in public ever again, they've learned that much, at least.

I kinda hope it's just some CIG employees who wanted to go to Gamescom to look at actual games and managed to get reimbursed by the company for it by saying they'd wear matching T-shirts, hand out trinkets, and do "guerilla marketing" or whatever.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure I would even take the free trip to Gamescom if it meant I have to wear a CIG shirt in public.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Isn't marketing at Gamescon without paying for a booth against the rules? It feels like it's against the rules.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Unless things have really decayed there isn't a german gaming organization existing that would actually go after CIG, star citizen is their nation's god. Maybe one german indie mag did critical articles like 5 years ago (and got shouted down into oblivion)

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Technically by their rationale any game started development after Pong because Pong was the first game so I guess Starfield took like 60 years or whatever.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

No Mods No Masters posted:

Unless things have really decayed there isn't a german gaming organization existing that would actually go after CIG, star citizen is their nation's god. Maybe one german indie mag did critical articles like 5 years ago (and got shouted down into oblivion)

This has been my suspicion, this game is popular in Germany. You almost never hear about SC in English speaking gaming media/circles, so for a lot of us it seems really odd that the game is still raking in tons of cash when nobody seems to be playing or talking about it.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Part of the cult reinforcement is shrouding what should be alarming truths in comforting lies.

Hence GalaxyBrains' wide-eyed untruths about wow, isn't-it-cool, 25 years, how about that, what a thing, huh? fake nonsense can be contrasted against hey, nine years overdue, half a billion dollars, and literally nothing to show for it isn't anything to be concerned about.

Look, it just takes a quarter of a century to make a video game these days, ask anyone. I blame the customers, actually, for not believing hard enough.

They just made up a lie and, in their eyes, bought themselves another decade of scamming and failure. I'd be in awe if it wasn't so disgusting.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Sunk Cost Fallacy is a hell of a drug.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

lobsterminator posted:

Yeah I’ve thought about this too. Like they still have to pay 5 or so employees for travel/food/normal wages plus general admission tickets. It would be easier to to just buy a booth and have it manned by like two people.

Also how many hardcore citizens even attend Gamescon anymore? There’s got to be like 10 diehards and/or wannabe influencers who would actually take the time to go and try to hunt down CIG’s roving band of devs just to get some meaningless trinket from them.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 25, 2023

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

No Mods No Masters posted:

I would say that a somewhat larger percentage of German gamers are into SC than in the US, and Citizens don’t automatically get destroyed whenever they try to proselytize for the game in a mainstream German gaming forum. But SC is far from mainstream here. I’ve only encountered one Citizen in the wild since I lived in Germany, and he is a neckbeard who literally lives in a basement.

But I’d have to defer to someone who’s been here longer than me and can actually speak the language.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Now in defense of the Neckbeard - I've rented out some very nice basements in Berlin during my trips there :v:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

good morning games comers

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Popete posted:

This has been my suspicion, this game is popular in Germany. You almost never hear about SC in English speaking gaming media/circles, so for a lot of us it seems really odd that the game is still raking in tons of cash when nobody seems to be playing or talking about it.

Does German have a word for "that feeling of spending on something for years, maybe decades without getting what was promised back"?

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

trucutru posted:

Does German have a word for "that feeling of spending on something for years, maybe decades without getting what was promised back"?

conciergeshamen

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

trucutru posted:

Du wurdest betrogen.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Aug 25, 2023

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Shartenfraude

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Financialfreude?

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

Popete posted:

Popular is a strong word. Outside some idiots who are very vocal online you will not encounter anyone who talks about it or even mentions it. Even back in the old Kickstarter days it was only really talked about by turbonerds who were spurred on by Gamestar articles. I would say Germany has maybe more people who are into very niche games like Farming Simulator, but no, SC is not a popular game even by that metric.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
I tried RDR2 again, after bouncing off it initially on release, and i'm really enjoying it now.

Even though keyboard/mouse controls are utter console crap, the game is actually the closest to a livable single-player universe i've ever played.

The amount of detail brings about the so called immersion and fidelity citizens crave for.

And SC will never, ever get anywhere close to it.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Krobbenblitzen

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
$600 million lmao

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

Play posted:

good morning games comers

depending on what im playing im a gamescummer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The Development of Star Citizen: A Story in Two Photos