Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I dunno, I listened to the same thing and while Im sure his drink tastes great I think there is a sound argument to be made that it's just not a Ramos. The process and the result is what makes a Ramos and Ramos, especially given the history of that specific drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Try making one! Mine came out with a pale, blue-green color (super lime, which I used, is much greener than typical lime juice) that still had the white cap of frothy foam on top. I just put the wash line right to the rim, as it couldn’t hold up to rising over the lip.

I agree with Boccato that while the Ramos is really striking with the traditional service, the actual experience of having to stick a straw in it and drinking a bunch of milky soda water is not preferable.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I’ve never had a problem sipping from the side of the glass with any Ramos I’ve ever had. Sure the meringue stays there but you can drink from under it.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Did you just use a regular egg white? The reason I didn’t try that recipe after listening was because I didn’t want to order the powdered one and other than that it’s just a blendered Ramos. Removing the soda water, water from the egg and using a rich Simple doesn’t seem to matter when you’re just gonna purée ice anyway. Salt goes without saying so it really comes down to a slightly different technique and if I’m being honest half of the joy of making Ramos is the ridiculous ritual involved. If you’re gonna put one on a menu in a volume bar scenario I think that’s totally great but at home I don’t really get it. Probably good to burn some calories shaking for a few minuets leading up to drinking something that decadent anyway

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Anonymous Robot posted:

Try making one! Mine came out with a pale, blue-green color (super lime, which I used, is much greener than typical lime juice) that still had the white cap of frothy foam on top. I just put the wash line right to the rim, as it couldn’t hold up to rising over the lip.

I agree with Boccato that while the Ramos is really striking with the traditional service, the actual experience of having to stick a straw in it and drinking a bunch of milky soda water is not preferable.

Sure but I would argue that the meringue that rises above the rim is the defining element of a Ramos. Without it, I don't think you've made a Ramos.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I went to Trader Vics today. I had the Mai Tai.

Mine's better.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Found this last week, decent low rent version of fancy dried cocktail orange slices

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Personally I hate the dried citrus trend. The whole point of the citrus garnish is the expressed oil, imo, and the dried ones don’t have any anymore.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
These ones are still fairly squishy and have some oils in them. They're not orange chips

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I quite like a dried, sugared orange slice (fwiw, they are extremely easy to make at home provided you have an oven) as a garnish. You can’y express the oils, sure, but you still get the citrus oil aroma in part. Plus you can eat it!

Around Christmas, I always make a bunch of these and string then on our tree. They look pretty when they catch the lights, almost like stained glass.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight I made a Chrysanthemum:

2 oz Noilly Prat dry vermouth
1 oz Benedictine
3 dashes Absente
1 dash orange bitters

Not bad, easy drinking.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Scythe posted:

Personally I hate the dried citrus trend. The whole point of the citrus garnish is the expressed oil, imo, and the dried ones don’t have any anymore.

Garnishes can be strictly aesthetic sometimes, there's nothing wrong with that.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
They can, sure, but ideologically I'm opposed to putting anything in or on a glass that isn't contributing something to the cocktail by means of flavor or aroma. I don't like having anything inedible on a plate of food, either; it's the same thing to me. I'd rather have no garnish at all than a big technically-edible flower that the guest will immediately remove and put on a cocktail napkin and only serves to make the drink more expensive. There's kind of a place for that in the realm of tiki cocktails, I suppose, but I don't work at a tiki bar and I feel like the industry is moving past that phase anyway.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
What he said. Aesthetics are very important, but flavor and aroma are part of the aesthetic to me.

Edit: Chrysanthemums are good, but for absinthe-forward drinks I've also been a fan of Obituaries lately (they're martinis with a dash of absinthe and a twist).

Scythe fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 25, 2023

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I like the initial idea behind it - you’ve already zested the fruit and aren’t going to juice it, so what else can you do with it?

But it’s turned into a garnish for its own sake rather than a reclamation of a spent product.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight I made a Scofflaw using Ander's specs:

1.5 oz James Oliver Rye Whiskey
1 oz Noilly Prat Dry Vermouth
.5 oz lemon juice
.25 oz BG Reynolds Lush Grenadine syrup
2 dashes orange bitters

Lemon peel garnish

It really easy drinking and has a good flavor, but it's got a watery mouthfeel and I feel like it needs a richer grenadine syrup. Maybe I should make some homemade grenadine.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
If it seems watery you probably just overshook it, if i had to guess. Homemade grenadine is delicious and easy, you should definitely give it a try sometime.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Tonight I made a Scofflaw using Ander's specs:

1.5 oz James Oliver Rye Whiskey
1 oz Noilly Prat Dry Vermouth
.5 oz lemon juice
.25 oz BG Reynolds Lush Grenadine syrup
2 dashes orange bitters

Lemon peel garnish

It really easy drinking and has a good flavor, but it's got a watery mouthfeel and I feel like it needs a richer grenadine syrup. Maybe I should make some homemade grenadine.

This is one of the odd citrus drinks that benefits from a hard stir instead of a shake, since that small amount of acid is not going to want for aeration.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Good call you two, I originally had the drink in my mixing glass but transferred to my shakers. I’ll try again and report back.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I made another Scofflaw with the same specs and stirred for about 30 seconds. A much better drink.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Hey, nice! Thanks to you, I ran a Scofflaw-ish drink as a special at work. Subbed in acid-adjusted scuppernong juice for the lemon and a Spanish sloeberry liqueur for the grenadine and it came together really nicely.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Drinking a double Paper Plane right now. The secret is to shake the gently caress out of the cocktail. It's so good. They have an aged Amaro Nonino Quintessentia which I'm interested in. Might replace the Aperol with the Contratto one.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Stone Fence

2 oz rye
6 oz cider
2 dashes ango
2 dashes orange bitters
serve with ice and a dehydrated blood orange

Tastes like autumn.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Yeah apple harvest is so close I can almost taste it. This is my fall go to

Whiskey Cider:
2oz 100 proof Bourbon
2oz fresh cider
.5 oz strained lemon

Shake, garnish with lemon or orange peel if you want. Add ango for spiced variation.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Last fall I made a cool fall inspired apple cocktail but it had a lot of components, probably need editing. The cider reduction syrup reached the texture of hard honey, can't reduce it that much. Gonna bring it back I think. The brandy drank like homemade Fireball which wasn't really my goal.

Solid pour Famous Grouse scotch
Solid pour Morin Calvados
Amaro Montenegro
Little cynar
Apple Cinnamon clove brandy
“Mulling spice” bitters
Jerry Thomas Decanter Bitters
Spoonful apple butter
Apple Cider Demerara Reduction Syrup

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

NJ Turnpike:

1oz rye
3/4oz apple brandy
3/4oz lemon juice
3/4oz syrup (i had 2:1 demerara on hand so used 1/2oz last night)

autumn in a (rocks) glass

hotsoupdinner
Apr 12, 2007
eat up

Snow Cone Capone posted:

NJ Turnpike:

1oz rye
3/4oz apple brandy
3/4oz lemon juice
3/4oz syrup (i had 2:1 demerara on hand so used 1/2oz last night)

autumn in a (rocks) glass

I gotta try this as I'm missing the homeland at this time of year.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

By "cider", are these recipes referring to fermented apple juice or unfiltered apple juice?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Qylvaran posted:

By "cider", are these recipes referring to fermented apple juice or unfiltered apple juice?

The original recipes would've almost certainly been referring to fermented cider in the British style

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I've seen recipes specify "soft" cider when it calls for the non-alcoholic flat stuff

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

hotsoupdinner posted:

I gotta try this as I'm missing the homeland at this time of year.

If you're searching for Jersey cocktails, I like to make a few Jack Roses every year in the fall. They're great if you have good applejack and nice homemade grenadine.

Re: Fall drinks in general: Stone Fences are still underrated (though don't gimme a dried orange, as noted above; fresh peel or just a nutmeg scrape, please). The variation with blackstrap rum is also very good. And I think Lion's Tails are also very autumnal.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Jack Rose's are great!

Also one thing I've done is a Turnpike but split the 1oz of rye into 1/2 rye, 1/2 demerara rum.

It's somewhere between a Turnpike and a Mundo Perdido, I really like it.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Qylvaran posted:

At least in the Great Lakes region of the US “cider” typically refers to freshly pressed apple juice that’s is oxidized brown and cloudy with sediment. Sometimes stabilized with sorbate or pasteurized, but the best stuff is not and as a result is highly fermentable with a short shelf life even when refrigerated. This is only available during autumn so people tend to get very excited about it’s seasonal appearance, but it does freeze decently and doughnuts made from cider are appropriate for any occasion if you ask me.

Fermented alcoholic cider will always be labeled as “hard cider”.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
If it’s clear and yellow, you got juice there, fellow; if it’s dark and brown, you’re in cider town. Now, there are two exceptions,

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I have some extremely fresh basil from my parents garden was going to use it in a cocktail tonight. I was thinking to do a sorta riff off a gimlet but was wondering if anyone had some more fun ideas?

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

A friend made me one of these to showcase his herb garden:

The Nice Nice

2 oz. Bourbon
3/4 oz. Aperol
1/2 oz. Simple Syrup
3 drops Orange Flower Water
4-6 fresh basil leaves

Shake with ice and strain
Coupe Glass
Garnish with a single basil leaf

hotsoupdinner
Apr 12, 2007
eat up

Scythe posted:

If you're searching for Jersey cocktails, I like to make a few Jack Roses every year in the fall. They're great if you have good applejack and nice homemade grenadine.

Re: Fall drinks in general: Stone Fences are still underrated (though don't gimme a dried orange, as noted above; fresh peel or just a nutmeg scrape, please). The variation with blackstrap rum is also very good. And I think Lion's Tails are also very autumnal.

I love a Jack Rose! It's my main reason to make grenadine. And I also like ordering them out whenever I see some Laird's BiB behind a bar.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I'd never had a Jack Rose before, but I had some apple brandy and this conversation got me to making one, and this is pretty good!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

LionYeti posted:

I have some extremely fresh basil from my parents garden was going to use it in a cocktail tonight. I was thinking to do a sorta riff off a gimlet but was wondering if anyone had some more fun ideas?

Do a mojito with it instead of mint, change your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

LionYeti posted:

The Bufala Negra is great.

quote:

½ tsp turbinado sugar
1 tsp good aged balsamic vinegar
5 basil leaves
1½ oz bourbon
2 oz ginger beer or ale

Muddle sugar, vinegar and 4 basil leaves in a cocktail shaker. Add bourbon and ice and shake to dissolve sugar. Strain over ice into old-fashioned glass, top with ginger beer and garnish with basil.

You want the oldest, sweetest, most syrupy balsamic you can find and/or justify the cost of.

Lawen fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 30, 2023