Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Ricky Morton says he won the title from Flair, but gave it up because they were going to fire Gibson.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUXVIqc9V_o.

To me this is a bit crazy since a couple months ago Flair said he doesn't think they offered Morton the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I've listened to a couple of interviews about the shows I'm watching and I've heard a couple of wrestlers say that promos were unscripted and done on the spot, but modern wrestling has scripted promos now. Is this true and when was the change?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s true in the WWE but largely not elsewhere, and it started to became more prominent in the early to mid 2000s.

They started hiring TV writers and gradually everything became scripted.

Some WWE wrestlers have more leeway to just make poo poo up if they’re a proven commodity but otherwise it’s all read-as-written.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s true in the WWE but largely not elsewhere, and it started to became more prominent in the early to mid 2000s.

They started hiring TV writers and gradually everything became scripted.

Some WWE wrestlers have more leeway to just make poo poo up if they’re a proven commodity but otherwise it’s all read-as-written.

That really sucks!

When did the WWE make the transition? Attitude era or later?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mr Hootington posted:

That really sucks!

When did the WWE make the transition? Attitude era or later?

later, ruthless aggression era. like history comes inside said, it started in the mid-00s

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Smoking Crow posted:

later, ruthless aggression era. like history comes inside said, it started in the mid-00s

Yeah, it's when the (Pause for crowd reaction) becomes really prevalent. Jericho in his second(?) book talks about his program with the Rock where they have to take Stephanie aside and tell her, "We've made a few dollars without a script so we're gonna keep doing that."

Anyway, please enjoy Dusty having some kind of episode on commentary where he just goes into a weird tangent about wrestlers he knew in Florida.

https://twitter.com/WCWCuts/status/1693958503642136580

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, it's when the (Pause for crowd reaction) becomes really prevalent. Jericho in his second(?) book talks about his program with the Rock where they have to take Stephanie aside and tell her, "We've made a few dollars without a script so we're gonna keep doing that."

Anyway, please enjoy Dusty having some kind of episode on commentary where he just goes into a weird tangent about wrestlers he knew in Florida.

https://twitter.com/WCWCuts/status/1693958503642136580

Dusty is right

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

He just wanted to talk about Eddie Graham. It's fine.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
vince sometimes personally writes wrestler promos and you can really tell because of how bizarre they are it rules lol roman reigns had to say some weird poo poo on live tv because of vince writing his promos lol

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Also the whole thing of Vince literally yelling in the ear of his commentary team (which is one of the major reasons Mick Foley went to TNA)

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

vince sometimes personally writes wrestler promos and you can really tell because of how bizarre they are it rules lol roman reigns had to say some weird poo poo on live tv because of vince writing his promos lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRFWb4Ia3r0

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I know they didn't have a long run, but Doom was a great tag team. I don't even remember them when they had Masks on and were managed by Woman. Just from the time they were managed by Teddy Long on. The tag team division in WCW/NWA was just absolutely loaded at the time and they seem to be forgotten. Plus Simmons had a much more memorable run in WWF and Butch Reed basically disappeared. And looking up Butch Reed I had no idea he died in 2021.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There was also that period of time they had Roman wearing blue contacts and big white caps on his teeth.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

syzpid posted:

I know they didn't have a long run, but Doom was a great tag team. I don't even remember them when they had Masks on and were managed by Woman. Just from the time they were managed by Teddy Long on. The tag team division in WCW/NWA was just absolutely loaded at the time and they seem to be forgotten. Plus Simmons had a much more memorable run in WWF and Butch Reed basically disappeared. And looking up Butch Reed I had no idea he died in 2021.

I loved them, I remember Woman coming as a girl who liked Rick Steiner, then she turned into a she devil or whaver. They just looked like mean bastards. The age I was I never realised one was Butch Reed.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

syzpid posted:

Yeah the nwa/wcw had a ton of incredible tag teams from 86-88 so far. All 3 Expresses, towers of pain, Minnesota wrecking crew, arn and tully, sheep herders, jive tones, varsityclub.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The Doom thing was so funny, because the two prominent giant jacked black guys disappear from WCW tv as the same time as these mysterious masked, also giant jacked black guys appear.

Who could it possibly be?

But yeah, Doom ruled and were one of the few teams the Steiners didn't try poo poo with.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1694680957247246458

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
hulk hogan tall tales own

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

that is incredible. Hogan kissed all the make a wish kids

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Hulk Hogan's timeline here:

August 31, 1992: Summerslam in Wembley Stadium, when he smells the dead child. Hogan did not wrestle on this show, or anywhere else between 4/5/1992 and 3/9/1993, both due to filming Mr. Nanny/Thunder in Paradise, and because of all of the steroid investigations going on around him/WWF.

He's often said in the past that he did "more Make a Wishes than Michael Jackson, Mr. T, or Mickey Mouse" but in this case implies that all of them (minus Mickey) were there that day. Michael Jackson was in the middle of his “Dangerous” World Tour, and had been at Wembley Stadium on August 20, 22, and 23rd, but by the 31st the tour had moved to Germany. Mr. T’s whereabouts on that night are not known, and he is perhaps the most likely to have been backstage at Summerslam 1992.

Right After Summerslam 1992: Hogan and Jimmy Hart write and record twelve songs in a single night, because Jimmy Hart had "a couple of number 1 hits" back in the day. "Keep on Dancing" was in fact a top ten song in 1965, but nothing else by the Gentrys charted. Jimmy Hart hooked up Hogan with "someone from Select Records", an American record label perhaps best remembered for releasing some mid-level hip hop hits in the 1980s (Kid N Play, UFTO, Chubb Rock) and also the Jerky Boys. Select in turn hooks him up with Simon Cowell.

July 11, 1995: Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band's album was released in the United States, peaking at #12 on the Billboard "Top Kids Audio" chart. To put his "eight weeks at #1 on the Billboard charts" in the summer of 1995, the least amount any #1 album sold in a week in the summer of 1995 was approximately 113,000 copies. Assuming those eight weeks were the first eight weeks the album was on the market, Hogan is suggesting "Hulk Rules" outperformed:

Hootie & the Blowfish - Cracked Rear View (21,000,000 copies sold)
Michael Jackson - HIStory (8,000,000 copies sold)
Original Soundtrack - Pocahontas (3,000,000 copies sold)
Bone Thugs N Harmony - E. 1999 Eternal (4,000,000)
Selena - Dreaming of You (3,000,000 copies sold)

It is important to note that Simon Cowell had zero involvement with this album.

December 13, 1993: "Simon came back to me and said we need to do a song with a band called Green Jelly over in the UK... that did really well on Billboard too." Green Jelly are an American band who teamed with Hogan a year and a half before "Hulk Rules" to cover serial child sex offender's song "I'm the Leader of the Gang", which did not chart in the United States, but did hit #25 in the UK. Simon Cowell had no involvement with the single either.

November 1985: "So when I came back to the States... I had the crazy idea... maybe we should do music here. So I grabbed Cyndi Lauper, Rick Derringer and a bunch of people.. and Simon came over and helped produce The Wrestling Album".

This is in reference to WWF's "The Wrestling Album", which came out in November 1985, and featured Derringer, a pseudonymous Cyndi Lauper ("Mona Flambe"), Jimmy Hart, and many other professional wrestlers. It was the most successful of any of these projects as it actually charted on the real Billboard Top 100 chart (at #84). Two names not involved with the album: Hulk Hogan or Simon Cowell.

1987 "Then he came over and produced the second album, Piledriver, and he never left." Another album that does not feature any recordings that Hogan or Cowell worked on, though Hogan is in the title track's video and appears on the cover of the album.

1987-2003 Simon Cowell did not in fact spend this fifteen year period in the United States, earlier Hulk Hogan Time Travel aside. He had a long and fairly successful career as a producer/A&R guy in England, scoring multiple #1 singles, producing the 1992 WWF dance single "Slam Jam" and the 1993 "Wrestlemania the Album", two projects that also did not involve Hulk Hogan in any way. By the time he "came to America" it was to host American Idol, a show spun off of the hit British reality competition show "Pop Idol" that debuted in England in 2001.

On one hand it's a relatively minor thing in the scheme of Hogan Lies, but it's also a Hogan Lie about a prominent public figure whose career is well documented, and it's also incredibly easy to fact check.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

It’s really a great and fun set of lies because he could tell the truth about any of the true things he was even loosely associated with and they’d sound cool, but in classic Hulk fashion he has to spin them all to be about himself and gently caress the whole thing.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Hogan was upset that Tommy Tallarico dethroned him as King of Lies so he decided to go all in on it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
There really is something fascinating about the genuinely famous/successful serial liars, your Hogans and Trumps and I guess Vince/WWE as a Corporation. Like Ganso said, I almost understand someone like Tommy Tallarico looking at their actual range of accomplishments and needing to make up a bunch of poo poo to make them seem more successful than they are.

The print version of the interview ends with a great capper:

quote:

“Our good friend Ric Flair put my back out last year,” he explains. “I have a hard time walking. I went and had a myogram done this week because they’re talking about back surgery number eleven, which I truly hope I can avoid. The problem goes from my tailbone all the way up to my shoulder blades. They say above the hardware, there are a couple of vertebrae that are bad. That was my fault because I did some crazy stuff in Australia with Ric right after I had back surgery and messed them up.
Either Hulk Hogan believes it to be the year 2010, or he is suggesting there was a match between Hogan and Flair in 2022 no one heard about.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Edge & Christian posted:

There really is something fascinating about the genuinely famous/successful serial liars, your Hogans and Trumps and I guess Vince/WWE as a Corporation. Like Ganso said, I almost understand someone like Tommy Tallarico looking at their actual range of accomplishments and needing to make up a bunch of poo poo to make them seem more successful than they are.

The print version of the interview ends with a great capper:

Either Hulk Hogan believes it to be the year 2010, or he is suggesting there was a match between Hogan and Flair in 2022 no one heard about.

Does Hogan think he's Jeff Jerret?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

lies are really funny and cool if they are like that

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Drakkel posted:

Does Hogan think he's Jeff Jerret?

tna didn't exist until 2010, brother

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Cavauro posted:

if i was famous i would lie alot whos gonna stop me

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
What was more dangerous, getting the tombstone from Taker or having that horrible match with Flair in TNA?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Cavauro posted:

this unironically

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Hogan defeated Frank Dux at the Kumite.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Angry_Ed posted:

Hogan was upset that Tommy Tallarico dethroned him as King of Lies so he decided to go all in on it.

Showed the Video Game Racist what a real racist can do

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I'm still hung up on the need to lie about smelling the odor of a deceased child, something particular deranged about that one even compared to most Hogan stuff.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I always liked the one about Hogan and Elvis being best friends even though Elvis died before Hogan even really started wrestling

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Elvis was into karate, remember? He saw Hogan fight in Pride.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Don't bother bringing facts into this, people just love to call the Hulkster a liar for no reason :(

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember his all-time classic match with 12 year old undertaker

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The dead child odour is actually why they had to rebuild Wembley. They tried to hide it with all sorts of things over the next few years - David James' designer aftershave, opening the several tons of bargain bin lager left over after the Familiar to Millions Oasis concert, emptying all the bags of rubbish likely thrown at Graham Taylor in 1993 - but it just wouldn't go away. Thankfully Hogan alerted the authorities and now we have a (comparatively) new Wembley with a retractable roof. The owners offered to rename it the Hulk Hogan Stadium in gratitude but he remained characteristically humble.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Angry_Ed posted:

He wasn't on Cribs, either, but unlike Tommy it is at least conceivable that he might have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Simon Cowell and Jimmy Hart were in the closet making music and I saw one of the babies and the baby made an odor at me, brother