Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Endorph posted:

also all his 'why didnt they simply go to the police???'

as we all know, getting cops involved always makes things better

Asking why accusers do not go to power/authority to make their claim is a common way to discredit allegations, and is virtually never said by innocent men. That AK has followed the well trod path of abusers who have been outted ought to convince anyone of his guilt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Endorph posted:

hes basically saying that, considering all he admits to is a consensual relationship and 'vaguely making someone uncomfortable' while ignoring the many, many other accusations and just vaguely lumping them into 'false'

That makes sense to me? If you know you had a relationship that ended really badly you can admit to that, but i don't expect people to go into the full details of stuff that they're saying didn't happen. You wouldn't be able to do anything other than vaguely go "no, didn't happen" if it actually didn't. I'm not buying his latest game, but i'm not thinking this is some ubi level harassing either.

Oxxidation posted:

the latter, it was pretty well confirmed when failbetter cut ties with him

That means nothing. Chris Avellone was (is?) widely blacklisted from the industry and his accusers have retracted their statements. Companies will distance no matter what because it's suicide not to.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
mmmmmmm i wouldn't take that to mean avellone didn't do anything

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
gently caress if I know, none of us were there. But regardless, no matter what, if you get accused, anyone you're working with will step back. That's my point. A company going "no i don't want this poo poo" isn't the candlestick in the living room that people think it is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogstile posted:

You wouldn't be able to do anything other than vaguely go "no, didn't happen" if it actually didn't
i mean if people are accusing, specific things, i think you can say what they are

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it says a lot that the best defense people can muster is 'well he didnt do it to an international group of thousands of women like a big ceo'

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If you were innocent going to the public at large and doing anything other than "no, it didn't happen" is not going to help your case either. He actually tried that and then presumably a lawyer told him to shut the gently caress up.

E: I'm not sure what defense you want me to give when none of us know the guy, the girl or the details of the case. This is just how it works.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogstile posted:

E: I'm not sure what defense you want me to give when none of us know the guy, the girl or the details of the case. This is just how it works.
there was literally someone like seven posts ago who had experiences with him and knew people who had worse ones. im acquaintances with someone who does. im not going to say im privy to intimate details but they expressed relief to me when this stuff came out.

it didnt happen in an alternate dimension.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Aug 21, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Gato posted:

I don't think he's history's greatest monster and should never make another game again.

So what, you want AK to just get a slap on the wrist and then keep getting into positions of power and abusing it? Like this stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum. The reason people are very visceral in their reaction to sexpests now is because in creative jobs this sort of abuse has become wide spread over the years. It's rampant in arts, media, games, etc. And a lot of women (and men too) have been chased out of creative careers because of it while their abusers remain to target yet more people.

It's only relatively recently that people like AK are getting any kind of consequences for their actions. We've seen what happens when they don't (Blizzard for one)

Like it's not so much to ask to have people treat others decently and not use what power they have in a company to try to get sex/favors/etc from people. Doesn't matter if it involves something on the level of Blizzard, or just one person using their position to pressure someone into a relationship, it's all lovely behavior.

If you can't even meet that low a bar then yeah, you shouldn't be in a job managing people or even be around them frankly. You could make a case if AK was the least bit repentant, but he's not. So yeah, he should never have a studio job again.

You wanna mourn people vanishing from the game industry? Mourn the folks that people like AK chased off, they deserved to be able to make games too.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 21, 2023

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

I saw this yesterday and am genuinely not sure how to interpret it - I have no idea if 576 positive reviews is a good thing in the absence of any sales data. I'd be very surprised if this gets anywhere near as much attention as CS (which was not exactly a blockbuster to start with)

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

dogstile posted:

buddy I know people who were personally impacted by his predatory behaviour at industry events and in professional contexts, which he has conspicuously never addressed beyond "well it didn't seem that way to me". my brief professional interactions with him align with the beginnings of their stories-- again I want to emphasize that he hasn't done me wrong, so this is just contributing to my impression of others' accounts, but they ring true to me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gato posted:

I saw this yesterday and am genuinely not sure how to interpret it - I have no idea if 576 positive reviews is a good thing in the absence of any sales data. I'd be very surprised if this gets anywhere near as much attention as CS (which was not exactly a blockbuster to start with)
its hard to tell exactly how reviews translate to sales, especially since smaller indie games tend to get more reviews, but for instance, its about as many reviews as https://store.steampowered.com/app/1716120/Monster_Rancher_1__2_DX/?curator_clanid=33016879 the steam ports of monster rancher 1 & 2, which are selling at a similar pricepoint. obviously monster rancher is not exactly an aaa product, especially in the context of HD ports of 20+ year old games, but koei tecmo is a big company.

its safe to call the game a success.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If it is selling as well as that review figure suggests, I'm pretty surprised because I haven't seen any press for it anywhere, and I didn't really think Cultist Sim was fun enough that people would be super excited to buy the follow up. But if this game's less tedious, I'm sure I'll get around to playing it one of these days.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

like I honestly don't begrudge the guy makin his weird games with one other person, it feels harmless enough to me at this point but my honest opinion is he's not safe to be around in the industry sense and I'm not really ok buying his stuff anymore. The cost of getting to this point is too much for me.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

JuniperCake posted:

If you can't even meet that low a bar then yeah, you shouldn't be in a job managing people or even be around them frankly. You could make a case if AK was the least bit repentant, but he's not. So yeah, he should never have a studio job again.

well, good news - he isn't going to have a studio job again. literally the first thing anyone says when his name or his games come up is "noted sex monster Alexis Kennedy" (and if he were repentant, it would be "allegedly repentant sex monster Alexis Kennedy"). what additional consequences would you like him to face? if your answer is "never show his face again" I think that's understandable! but equally I don't think it's indefensible to keep playing his games

e: like, if this were a Blizzard situation where all the gaming press are raving about Glorbo being added to Overwatch with a token line at the end of each article saying "btw this company has done nothing to address its allegedly rampant sexual harassment problem" that would be one thing. but this is an indie game by a two-person studio with zero press. if Book of Hours somehow ends up being a success I don't think that's an indictment of sexism in the industry

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

If it is selling as well as that review figure suggests, I'm pretty surprised because I haven't seen any press for it anywhere, and I didn't really think Cultist Sim was fun enough that people would be super excited to buy the follow up. But if this game's less tedious, I'm sure I'll get around to playing it one of these days.

it's tedious in a different, vaguely comforting way

Gato fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 21, 2023

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

do you even actually know what he's accused of doing?

e: or by how many people?

neongrey fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 21, 2023

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
weird how in the videogames forum an obvious shitpost gets a week but this guy just keeps on trucking

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont care if you play his games but you can just be honest and say 'i dont give a poo poo' instead of tying yourself into knots

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

neongrey posted:

do you even actually know what he's accused of doing?

e: or by how many people?

you know what, I thought I did, but (unironically) the fact that two people on this dead forum are saying they've had second-hand experience of lovely behaviour from him is telling me I've probably been missing stuff (most of what I know comes from the standard gaming sites, which only reported a few specific allegations)

Endorph posted:

i dont care if you play his games but you can just be honest and say 'i dont give a poo poo' instead of tying yourself into knots

as I've been digging myself this hole, I'm starting to realise that I'm probably just trying to deal with the cognitive dissonance of enjoying a product made by a bad person. I'm gonna take a break for a bit, sorry everyone

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

when this all came out there were dozens of people reporting stuff about him on twitter ranging from 'he just kind of creeped me out idk' to 'he kept sending me emails, belittling me, trying to get me alone with him, making crass comments about me, using his position as a somewhat known dev in the indie sphere to try and pressure me into sex,' etc.

the articles you're referring to focused on the two specific allegations he addresses in his posts because they're the most straightforward and definitive and come from two fairly prominent people who provably worked with him. they arent the only accusations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

for clarity's sake, he was notorious in his local scene for setting himself up into mentorship roles with young women in the industry, then pushing past professional boundaries and allegedly threatening them against speaking out. I don't know how many people this happened with but I'm given to understanding it's a lot of women. The most he's said is to call this serial dating and deny any threatening behaviour.

i've heard from multiple people about this, not all of whom were willing to speak publicly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he also really downplays the power he has in those articles. its not like hes a multibillionaire CEO, but he was a known and respected indie dev. the indie dev scene relies a lot on word of mouth and networking. getting shown on indie game showcases, getting other people to talk up your game, contacting the people who do have some ties to the gaming press - all of that goes through other people. you can certainly market your game yourself, but the fact is that he held a lot of sway in that scene. if he wanted to push someone down, he could. likewise, if he wanted to lift someone up, he could. in a sphere where the average indie game barely gets 1000 sales, any advantage you can get helps a lot. acting like he held literally no power at all is pretty ridiculous.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

like I said, I can believe that he thinks he didn't do anything wrong. but that's still worse.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
Picked this up over the weekend and put about 4 hours into it so far.

Having played a ton of CS, there is a lot of familiarity in the mechanics and art. The unique mix of card game with timer based interaction is unique among games, and a lot of the dopamine hits that CS gave you are present here too.

At first, I was a bit miffed - the card art seems almost directly pulled from CS, and this felt like an asset flip. However, once you unlock the house, and get into the game proper, there is a trove of new art, fiddly bits, and doodads. There is no handholding, or tutorial really; it’s just dive in, and start experimenting. If you aren’t familiar with the mechanics, I can see how this would be a game that you would make no progress on, and get frustrated with after 2 hours and refund. If you do like the free form CYOA style engagement, then it will rapidly grab you. Not sure there is going to be good replayability.

Speaking of which, I spent nearly 30 minutes trying to get a 3 knock helper to open up the house of hush, before I realized you can actually zoom in on the rooms, and interact with stuff in them. The earlier complaint about UI holds; there are some really irritating UI items that In seeing.
- having to click on the card space to unlock a room to see what it needs, rather than just the room
- having to click on the pop-ups to dismiss them, rather than them fading after a second.
- getting one of said annoying pop-ups literally every time you go into the skill tree.

There’s also some neutral items I’ve found
- there is the ability to copy text; but does it just copy to clipboard, or some journal that I’m unaware of?
- and if it doesn’t exist, having an in-game indexable (and searchable) journal/log would be excellent
- there’s a million interesting bits in the rooms; but so far the interaction with them seems to be pretty mundane; you can occasionally use them to aid in researching a book, or for crafting; but otherwise spending a soul point to interact with them seems to only generate very basic memories; and you can’t use them to pump up your helpers
- there seems like a ton of lore; but unless you’re somehow copying all of it into a spreadsheet or something, it’s very missable or disconnected.
- Skills seems very samey. Despite each having neat art and lore; they don’t (yet) seem to have different effects

Overall, if you liked CS, then highly recommend buying or acquiring this.

Dalaram fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 21, 2023

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Neat trick: if you click on the game's name in main menu it opens a folder with 12 PDF documents containing fairly interesting ingame lore.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Gato posted:

you know what, I thought I did, but (unironically) the fact that two people on this dead forum are saying they've had second-hand experience of lovely behaviour from him is telling me I've probably been missing stuff (most of what I know comes from the standard gaming sites, which only reported a few specific allegations)

as I've been digging myself this hole, I'm starting to realise that I'm probably just trying to deal with the cognitive dissonance of enjoying a product made by a bad person. I'm gonna take a break for a bit, sorry everyone

Thanks for realising and apologising.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Sekenr posted:

Neat trick: if you click on the game's name in main menu it opens a folder with 12 PDF documents containing fairly interesting ingame lore.

Also the news link on the main menu page has a bunch of useful tips I should have read before my first 12 hours of game.

The big one was you can upgrade skills with lessons of the same school, not just of the same name

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Rapner posted:

Also the news link on the main menu page has a bunch of useful tips I should have read before my first 12 hours of game.

The big one was you can upgrade skills with lessons of the same school, not just of the same name

If you click on this tiny diamond which noone in their right mind would think to click, it will highlight all objects on the map that have the same tag.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Sekenr posted:

If you click on this tiny diamond which noone in their right mind would think to click, it will highlight all objects on the map that have the same tag.

WHAT?

Ok that would have saved me many hours.

One thing I'm struggling with is upgrading souls. I know that some workstations can upgrade souls, and it shows the wisdom aspect on the workstation. So I go look at the wisdom I have assigned to that slot, and it says attuned to say Shapt. But when I go back to the workstation, it won't accept Shapt souls.

Edit: Image to help with the example

Rapner fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 24, 2023

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Rapner posted:

WHAT?

Ok that would have saved me many hours.

One thing I'm struggling with is upgrading souls. I know that some workstations can upgrade souls, and it shows the wisdom aspect on the workstation. So I go look at the wisdom I have assigned to that slot, and it says attuned to say Shapt. But when I go back to the workstation, it won't accept Shapt souls.

Edit: Image to help with the example

Think it’s because that’s not a Phost workbench, per the “hints” in the upper right corner. So I suppose optimal play includes diversifying which soul/skill pairings you make, because there’s going to be more than one evolution workbench per soul aspect, so it’s not exactly that you’ve screwed yourself over yet in the same way that accidentally using both starter lessons to upgrade your starter skill to level 2 doesn’t screw you over.

In that it screws you over somewhat unfairly, but not irretrievably.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've injured one of my soul cards and the remedy is forge 5, but I haven't scrounged enough forge from anywhere I've been yet to cure it. I can't even read any forge books because, get this, I can't scrounge enough forge aspect. My kingdom for some forge skill, or a forge memory. Is there forge weather?

Game is interesting, and learning it has been fun. Navigating the map is a pain in the rear end though.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

SettingSun posted:

Is there forge weather?

Not that I’ve seen, there is the Foresight memory for 2 forge that you can get through at least a couple 4-difficulty Lantern books. Otherwise you may have to wait to use your next forge soul unlock to help because I have NOT had much luck finding Forge drinks.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I have 8 of the 9 soul cards and presumably the one I'm missing has some forge on it. I've discovered I can eat furniture in the house for memories but I'm hesitant to do that, but aside from aesthetics I haven't seen if the game encourages home decorating. Or what the significance of dating the books and rooms into eras is. Or even where the library itself is in this drat house. These books are practically just strewn on the floor. Not like I can even read most of them. Getting 6 of any aspect is a trial, let alone trying to get 10 or more.

Despite my whining I like it; reminds me of getting my head around CS for the first time.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

SettingSun posted:

I have 8 of the 9 soul cards and presumably the one I'm missing has some forge on it. I've discovered I can eat furniture in the house for memories but I'm hesitant to do that, but aside from aesthetics I haven't seen if the game encourages home decorating. Or what the significance of dating the books and rooms into eras is. Or even where the library itself is in this drat house. These books are practically just strewn on the floor. Not like I can even read most of them. Getting 6 of any aspect is a trial, let alone trying to get 10 or more.

Despite my whining I like it; reminds me of getting my head around CS for the first time.

Don't forget you can talk to your assistants (ideally the free one for this) to get random memories. One of those is forge based! You can also examine certain bits of furniture to get (really crappy) memories. One of the basic ones, Touch, gives 1 forge and I think you can get it by examining the couch in the very first room of the house, as an example. Doesn't consume the couch either. If you have any mettle, all you need to do is find a bed that accepts forge, slot in mettle, the 2 point forge memory and I'm pretty sure there's a 1 forge drink somewhere early enough. I've gotten my first clear of this game, so I'm willing to give hints on stuff!

Sekenr posted:

Unless that does a permanent highlight, I think you can just hover the icon itself...

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 24, 2023

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Good to know only some things are consumable if you consider them for memory. I should start writing down what memories I get from rereading books. Any that would give a forge memory is very valuable to me right now.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

SettingSun posted:

I should start writing down what memories I get from rereading books.

Writing down anything and everything, really. I think the reason the game only makes the barest concession to helping you track anything is the same reason clicking text copies it to your clipboard:

Because half of the game is cataloguing your library. Tracking which books you’ve read, their requirements, and (maybe) where they belong. Tracking the results of crafting. Tracking which books each memory comes from, and what they do. Taking inventory of the consumables on hand. And then it pays off when you’re able to pump two assistants to open high level rooms on the same day, or can muster up enough different memories to advance a higher level skill without waste.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Advancing a skill to level 9 with no waste is the most satisfying thing to do in the game, just arranging things so you have eight distinct memories (plus the lesson) in a single day just feels great.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

SettingSun posted:

Keep going left far enough and you will reach a stairs going up 4-5 floors. To the left of it there is a reading room and above it a smoking room. They contain a decent amount of books and finally enough shelf space to organize poo poo somewhat.

Stairwell itself contains a cool long optional puzzle which made me dig into this place's history including reading room descriptions etc. Quite enjoyable. I understand there is bunch more other puzzles too.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
Is there a way to recall all completed tasks? I keep losing soul aspects by using them before dawn to generate stuff; but the text size on completion is so small, I end up losing them for days sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapner
May 7, 2013

CommunityEdition posted:

Think it’s because that’s not a Phost workbench, per the “hints” in the upper right corner. So I suppose optimal play includes diversifying which soul/skill pairings you make, because there’s going to be more than one evolution workbench per soul aspect, so it’s not exactly that you’ve screwed yourself over yet in the same way that accidentally using both starter lessons to upgrade your starter skill to level 2 doesn’t screw you over.

In that it screws you over somewhat unfairly, but not irretrievably.

So... should I wait to place skills in the wisdom tree until I can verify that what I'm getting can be upgraded?