Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I think Taker also really saw the world in him.

This may go down as one of the biggest what-ifs in wrestling history. He did so much, and yet not enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I think Taker also really saw the world in him.

This may go down as one of the biggest what-ifs in wrestling history. He did so much, and yet not enough.

He did. Taker has literally straight up said so.

And definitely true. Big true.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

That's how I want to remember him. In a darkened arena, with the crowd holding up their cellphones to be his fireflies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqNKPwe5wvE

Because when Bray Wyatt came in, you didn't cheer, and you didn't boo. Those reactions weren't good enough. He was something special.

I never saw any of Brays stuff after the family but man the family was cool. :rip:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Very sad. He had so many interesting and creative ideas, and I've heard some one on one interviews with him and he seemed very down to earth. Safe home.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
what the gently caress.

his character was awesome in all its phases. the live band entrance at that takeover, the fireflies, the fiend 2.0 run with the sick as hell entrance. and the firefly funhouse with cena was amazing.

this sucks. i give the fed a lot of poo poo these days but bray was so much different from everyone else. what could have been indeed. christ

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

"We're here."

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Jesus Christ

for a long time he was one of the only things i always looked forward to in a show beacuse it might not work but at least hed try something

I loved the whole vibe. That sucks.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I loved almost all of his gimmicks, and he himself seemed to put a ton of work into them. Was it hard to reconcile them with wrestling at times? Undoubtedly, but when they hit, they hit really well, at least in my opinion. The Family stuff, the evil children's TV show host, the Funhouse match and even his big return less than a year ago were all tons of fun. The actual wrestling might not have been the best part of it, but there's always room for entertainers and not enough people who can pull it off and do something new.

My mind has also gone back to some of the reports about Keith Lee some time ago, with regards to supposed post-covid difficulties. With how unforgiving an industry wrestling is, I really hope we don't get a spate of "long covid"-related fatalities or even career finishers in the near future.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There was some of Jake's mystique in Bray

Oh absolutely. You could see a lot of winks and nods to Jake Roberts in Bray's work

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

RandolphCarter posted:

I never saw any of Brays stuff after the family but man the family was cool. :rip:
Go watch the Firefly Funhouse match from Wrestlemania, it's an amazingly creative and nuanced work. (So, naturally, WWE had to be sure to poo poo all over it, with the announce team both immediately before and after going "lol what a bunch of weird random bullshit, am i rite viewers".) It was posted earlier in the thread, and if you're cool with reading the words of a sex pest, Brandon Stroud's writeup of it is excellent.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Bray losing to Cena at WM XXX was one of the things that made me say 'they never get it. And they never will'
For all the good Danielson's wins at WM XXX were, seeing the first nail in the coffin of the most interesting act in WWE in years was one of the last straws.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

ChrisBTY posted:

Bray losing to Cena at WM XXX was one of the things that made me say 'they never get it. And they never will'

It felt so deflating in the stadium. Like I kind of figured they’d do it but was still dumb enough to have hope with everything happening with Danielson at the time.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Obviously everyone is saying the same thing & it stinks that the death of TERRY FUNK has been blown out of the water by comparison but here's a story relayed to me.

Most wrestlers don't care about their publicity shots, They want to get in, have the shot taken and get out and deal as little as possible with that department.

Bray wasn't most wrestlers.

He was very hands on with how he wanted to be seen. He met with marketing a lot more than your typical wrestler. His death has shaken people at Titan Towers who otherwise don't give two hoots about the stars who walk in the door.

Very few people and virtually no one here knew Windham Rotunda and Jon Huber, we mostly know them as Bray Wyatt & Luke Harper. Some will try to say Husky Harris and Brodie Lee but that isn't the mainstream and not their biggest legacy. Wherever they are, I hope they're tearing the roof off in a falls count anywhere match with the Funker as guest ref (assuming he's not in a match with Harley Race).

RIP to both champs

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
seeing a live bray wyatt match was awesome. incredible feel in the arena, doing the fireflies, whole place just loving silent for him or singing along. man. world lost a wrestling artist and it sucks big time

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

As sad as Terry passing was we knew it was likely given his age and health. Bray was out of nowhere which hits harder

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
terry was a man who changed the way we look at wrestling, bray was a man who could have but had yet to truly leave his mark

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Island Nation posted:

Very few people and virtually no one here knew Windham Rotunda and Jon Huber, we mostly know them as Bray Wyatt & Luke Harper. Some will try to say Husky Harris and Brodie Lee but that isn't the mainstream and not their biggest legacy.

The gently caress lmao

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Ganso Bomb posted:

It felt so deflating in the stadium. Like I kind of figured they’d do it but was still dumb enough to have hope with everything happening with Danielson at the time.

And you know it wasn't even like he had to pin Cena to get his moment necessarily. The whole thing was about getting Cena to show his true terrible self and all they had to do was have Cena use the chair to win, that's it. But even that was a bridge too far.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Even when I was at the end of my tether with WWE, that Cena/Wyatt Firefly Funhouse Match with Cena being haunted through prior gimmicks and ending up lost inside Bray's reality was genuinely a fantastic live experience to watch. I felt like that was one of the rare times that Bray got to do exactly what it is that he wanted to do and pulled it off exactly the way he'd intended.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jerusalem posted:

I felt like that was one of the rare times that Bray got to do exactly what it is that he wanted to do and pulled it off exactly the way he'd intended.

:hai:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlCq9mXl2AI

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

He was only 26 when he made that video, holy gently caress.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I am being 100% serious. In retrospect Bray will go down with the likes of Brian Pillman as one of those guys who was SO loving GOOD and you just know they had so much more to give. Bray is a little different in that right now, it's hard for people to not think about the clunkers he had but good lord, what a talent with so, so much creativity and so many ideas and plans we'll never know. :(

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I missed most of Wyatt's WWE stuff due to not really being interested in wrestling at the time, so I think I've only seen a couple of his Fiend matches. That Firefly Funhouse match was legit incredible, and something I gushed about to non-wrestling friends, because even the concept of John Cena metaphorically and literally wrestling with his demons was so loving far out of the WWE's lovely wheelhouse that it was unbelievable. And that firefly entrance is legit the coolest the WWE have done in the past decade. Even having seen the little stuff I have, I always had a feeling of wanting to see what he could accomplish in a better company.

But of course regardless of any wrestling stuff, 36 is insanely and criminally young to go, and my heart goes out to his family.

Okkult
Oct 10, 2012

I'd rather see someone come out with a D&D character sheet for their wrestling persona than "I beat everyone and everyone's afraid of me." RIP to a real freak, a man of honor. I loved you when you were wearing a fedora in a swamp.

Okkult fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 25, 2023

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Okkult posted:

I'd rather see someone come out with a D&D character sheet for their wrestling persona than "I beat everyone and everyone's afraid of me." RIP to a real freak, a man of honor. I loved you when you were wearing a fedora in a swamp.

THAT'S an awesome way to describe how I feel about it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What the fuuuuuuck

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Okkult posted:

I'd rather see someone come out with a D&D character sheet for their wrestling persona than "I beat everyone and everyone's afraid of me."

Amen to that, man.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I saw almost 150 unread posts and wondered which old timer had passed on, and… loving hell. 36 is not an age to die at, and I hope his kids are getting support.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

CapnAndy posted:

That's how I want to remember him. In a darkened arena, with the crowd holding up their cellphones to be his fireflies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqNKPwe5wvE

Because when Bray Wyatt came in, you didn't cheer, and you didn't boo. Those reactions weren't good enough. He was something special.

They had lightning in a bottle with the Wyatts. It was one of those entrances that legitimately felt like a big deal event, live. Whole audience just absolutely riveted.

Okkult
Oct 10, 2012

He was younger than my little brother.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
I love when wrestling is allowed to be really weird, and Bray's swamp cult were weird in a good way. He had a really creative mind, and people seemed to really like him.

I mean... gently caress.

gently caress.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/wrestlelamia/status/1694890256082862570

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Alaois posted:

The gently caress lmao

Ya what the christ I literally knew Jon wtf is he talking about

And edit, only meet Bray once, usual wrestler "nice to meet you", so can't say anything except my boys are crushed

stab fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Aug 25, 2023

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

He was three weeks younger than me. loving hell.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

stab posted:

I assume most of us in this thread are not actually family or friends with the wrestlers but I apologize if my idea was incorrect.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i appreciate the insight into the situation at Titan Towers. it seems everybody's feeling this one

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

stab posted:

And edit, only meet Bray once, usual wrestler "nice to meet you", so can't say anything except my boys are crushed

Make sure you give your boys the cordial greeting of their preference next time you see them and, if there's an appropriate time, remind them how gosh darn entertaining they are. :)

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Cavauro posted:

i appreciate the insight into the situation at Titan Towers. it seems everybody's feeling this one

Thank you, that was the main point.

Outside of his time as Chainsaw Charlie, I'm not as familiar with Terry Funk's career so I didn't mention him much but I do know seeing him as a hardcore wrestler as his obituary in The New York Times noted is a disservice to his career. The man's legacy is more accomplished than any words I could say and that wrestling without him would have been a different beast altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

This is completely insane news to read, one of those celebrity deaths that doesn't even feel real. Way too young.

I didn't watch WWE during most of his run, but everything between the Wyatts and the Shield was loving great and kept me tuning in during a period where not much else on the show was interesting to me.