Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

My jellyfish has the zoomies big time and he's huge so he's definitely pissing people off on the Anomaly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Is there a mission chain you have to start to unlock Outlaw standing? I seem to be stuck at "unknown" even after stopping in to check at an outlaw station.

astronautism
Oct 3, 2002
Holy poo poo the PSVR2 update is everything I could’ve wanted. I bought the headset for NMS and was really bummed out that it looked so bad.
It looks so, so much better now.
I knew they’d pull through eventually. Time to jump back in.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sultan Tarquin posted:

What did I do to deserve this horrible little goblin I can't take him anywhere.

https://i.imgur.com/tht8U2H.mp4

nyooom

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
apparently they changed the way ship locations are generated, so every location everywhere now has a different ship style - same general type, same same class, but different color and cosmetics. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdj-5wcxoRA

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Flesh Forge posted:

apparently they changed the way ship locations are generated, so every location everywhere now has a different ship style - same general type, same same class, but different color and cosmetics. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdj-5wcxoRA

:lol: Seems I was lucky to find that dumb yellow Battlestar Galactica looking ship again on my new save just before the new patch dropped.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

wait did that just nuke the coordinate exchange then lol

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

slicing up eyeballs posted:

wait did that just nuke the coordinate exchange then lol

If that's right then absolutely, as it is. Everything would need to be rechecked, right?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

its like they read my constant many-years long campaign of complaining that i cant repaint or customize my ship and are mocking me.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I went and personally verified this with a couple of dissonant planets that I built bases on to farm particular ships and yes they have completely different cosmetics.
dang that is gonna piss of so many users

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

that seems like a really huge misstep given how much work the players have put into the CE, that's been around what since launch? there's even a search tool! oof.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

that seems like a really huge misstep given how much work the players have put into the CE, that's been around what since launch?

i dunno theyve done updates in the past that completely hosed up everyone's bases, and changing planet types all over the universe which also probably made things hard for the nerds who keep and update big lists of those like they do with the ships. i think they realize all those people will just complain for a few days and then remake all their videos and lists and stuff

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

that seems like a really huge misstep given how much work the players have put into the CE, that's been around what since launch? there's even a search tool! oof.

I think it used to happen more frequently, there was just a long stretch of things not changing significantly enough to make the procgen seeds really generate different things update to update

There's a reason those coordinate exchange sites do/did call out the version something was seen in explicitly

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I still can't get the new story to trigger :\

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I still can't get the new story to trigger :\

If you're like me and habitually make system jumps using your freighter instead of your ship, it won't ever trigger the new story mission. You need to complete a jump in your actual starship, and you might need to do it twice because the capital freighter event on jump does override the story trigger apparently.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
You also need to finish the main artemis quest which I was holding onto because with a friend you can use it to skip like 10 galaxies at a time lol and the A Trace of Metal quest, which itself a precondition of having a settlement on most platforms.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I'm on the final step of the main mission to reset, I just never bothered to actually complete it and go to the next galaxy. is that it? I was jumping around all today in my starship.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Yep, although you can opt to not go to the next galaxy, refusing to reset counts as quest completion as well. Which I prefer because then Nada's now-permanent dialogue is thanking you for not forgetting them, instead of welcoming you like it's the first time every time

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Yep, although you can opt to not go to the next galaxy, refusing to reset counts as quest completion as well. Which I prefer because then Nada's now-permanent dialogue is thanking you for not forgetting them, instead of welcoming you like it's the first time every time

Oh wow that is better

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ughhh I had a max amount of ships after hunting Sentinel ships and one of the Autophage missions was to salvage a ship on a space station and I swapped my ship for it semi-absent mindedly. The only warning was "hey, your other ship has some stuff in it, wanna transfer it over?" and not "You have the maximum amount of ships and will lose the one you swap from, you sure?" so I lost it. It wasn't my favorite one or anything but it was a fully upgraded S-class Sentinel ship that started off as like a C or something with all slots unlocked and max S-class modules.

That's only like 200 million units and 250k nanites down the drain, no biggie. :emo:

This game likes its gut-punches.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
A Thing Worth Noting for the salvaging missions is quest completion isn't tracked by actually salvaging a ship, it's "hand them X00,000 credits worth of the vendor trash generated from salvaging ships"

so you can spend some time interceptor-hunting for the several million worth of salvage you get from those and stock up on stuff to give to those NPCs, instead of the hassle of laundering with whatever crappy C-class shuttle the quest actually directs you to every time

or if you had a stack of AI valves duped to you that you never actually sold, you can just hand one to them like "I'll pay you 30 times your asking price to gently caress off"

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Oof, my bad knee is killing me, but the psvr2 improvements are sharp! Maybe I should sit down next time. Or wait for a day off so I am not doing this after already putting 5.6 miles on my feet.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Also doesn't help that a majority of the salvaged ships are not there. The camp is, the marker is, but the ship isn't. But you know, NMS new patch and all that.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I am a Junk Shaman.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Do the sentinel multi tool mods only work with the boltcaster? :psyduck:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Do the sentinel multi tool mods only work with the boltcaster? :psyduck:

Hasn't that always been the way? I'd love for them to be able to be applied to anything but I don't think they can be.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

So I've had these flipping things on my multitools for over a year and I'm only discovering this now. It'd be nice if it said anywhere that it only worked for boltcaster.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I assumed they applied universally but only got “synergy” bonuses on the old bolt caster. Though from a pure balance perspective I guess the bolt caster needed something to allow it status as something more than the “starting pistol” equivalent within the weapon spread.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I'm assuming it's some sort of deeply-hardcoded thing (or, at least, something they don't want to change because multi-synergy tech would be unbalanced) where something can have bonuses that affect multiple things but can only "synergize" with one other type of tech at a time and they went with boltcaster for the multitool stuff.

You can see the same sort of thing a bit more obviously with the exosuit bonus stuff, since that has literally-in-the-description bonuses for life support AND shields AND jetpack, but each installed tech can only synergize with one of them (and at least the ones I have are all shield-synergized, I assume you'd have to explicitly look for tech with a crappy "only sprint duration" bonus to _maybe_ synergize with the jetpack)

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I get the Dream Aerial blueprint. I make one. I go pulse. It tells me there is an anomaly. I drop out of pulse, and there's a waypoint that looks like it's for a space whale, and a space whale sounding noise... but no space whale. What the gently caress?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I have not done that but it sounds exactly like what happens with the sentinel dreadnought spawn when you are inside a planet's atmosphere, the dreadnought spawns and shoots at you etc but it won't render until you are outside atmosphere even if you are right next to where the dreadnought should be.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

I think it used to happen more frequently, there was just a long stretch of things not changing significantly enough to make the procgen seeds really generate different things update to update

There's a reason those coordinate exchange sites do/did call out the version something was seen in explicitly

Yeah I think I have gone through a total of 4 wipes at this point. The nice thing is when I go to things I discovered it goes back to the name I gave it instead of RUSSIAN MAFIA PLANET #353 or whatever from people who went ham after various wipes.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

No Man's Sky teaching all of us the lesson of not getting attached to things.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I wanted to try the game again after not touching it for 2 years. It's stuttering like crazy though on PC, any fixes for this? I'm on a 13th gen i5, 32gb ram, 3080ti... why is the game still having these technical issues?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

FrickenMoron posted:

I wanted to try the game again after not touching it for 2 years. It's stuttering like crazy though on PC, any fixes for this? I'm on a 13th gen i5, 32gb ram, 3080ti... why is the game still having these technical issues?

Maybe an optimization issue? The game is also out for Switch and PS5, and reportedly, it runs fine on Switch.

It also runs very well on my PS5, but I would hope so after my upgrade from my old, burning wreck of a PS4. :v:

It could be the devs spend so much effort on console optimization, the ever-changing PC-nightmare got neglected this time around.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

With NMS it's very common for new, big patches to introduce issues. I mean my PS5 had some framerate dips so it's likely some PC configurations regardless of specs may have problems too. Those usually get ironed out with hotfixes that come out pretty frequently post-patch.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I like moons and one is even a paradise

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

bird with big dick posted:

I like moons and one is even a paradise

I admire your pioneering spirit Sir but I think you have bigger concerns right now

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I hopped back into the game after not playing it for like a year and someone has set up a huge base right next to my main base, which I already built in between a settlement and a trading post, so between those four things the area feels properly built up now.

I like it, it makes the place feel more lived-in, and it's a neat little piece of evidence that another player - someone I don't know and did not specifically send to this place - has been here and seen the things I have seen.

Also the base in question is a gigantic tower that is visible from extremely far away in all directions, so it's a convenient landmark, on a planet that is constantly wracked with storms so navigating is a bit difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Mister Bates posted:

I hopped back into the game after not playing it for like a year and someone has set up a huge base right next to my main base, which I already built in between a settlement and a trading post, so between those four things the area feels properly built up now.

I like it, it makes the place feel more lived-in, and it's a neat little piece of evidence that another player - someone I don't know and did not specifically send to this place - has been here and seen the things I have seen.

Also the base in question is a gigantic tower that is visible from extremely far away in all directions, so it's a convenient landmark, on a planet that is constantly wracked with storms so navigating is a bit difficult.

If you get a chance will you take a screenie? I'd like to see that.