Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

banned from Starbucks posted:

How do these things spin? Isn't the crystal thing in mid part of the hilt? Wouldn't spinning break the beam or whatever?

You are not meant to question such things.

(I've always hated the spinning sabers. They make no sense, and add nothing.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

You are not meant to question such things.

(I've always hated the spinning sabers. They make no sense, and add nothing.)

I think I may have laughed out loud a little when Ahsoka just dodged the thing coming at her like it was no thang. She's definitely cool.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

This guy made an Ahsoka themed cover for his prosthetic arm:

https://i.imgur.com/cNSN6BA.mp4

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rappaport posted:

I think I may have laughed out loud a little when Ahsoka just dodged the thing coming at her like it was no thang. She's definitely cool.

I definitely laughed. She's as impressed by them as I am.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Rappaport posted:

There's the other moment where she no-sells the assassin droid that hung around to kill her in the abandoned tower. It makes it seems like Ahsoka just has a perfect sense of her immediate surroundings, which is a neat enough trait without feeling like a copyrightable Force power like psychometry or animal husbandry.

Cartoon Man posted:

Clone Wars spoilers: &&&&&&&& :( &&&&&&&&&&&

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

thrawn527 posted:

The Star Wars Explained guy said that while he was watching, his partner pointed out that it looked like a Celtic symbol representing he Maiden, the Mother, and the Crone. So there might be something there, but I have no idea what yet.

Could also be a reference to the tripartite Hectate. The triple goddesses motif was very prolific in the past, also, in general. Stands to reason at least one writer in a Star Wars writers’ room is a mythology TurboNerd.

Edit: and being such a TurboNerd, it makes perfect sense to me that the Dathomir witches are astrologers.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 24, 2023

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

No Mods No Masters posted:

I mean we're in the filoni baloney universe here, bisecting someone is itself not necessarily fatal. I'm surprised it even remotely irked people, honestly I was kinda surprised she even needed bed rest

Goes back to Lucas. It's really hard watching the end of Revenge of the Sith:
"I know we were friends, Anakin, but instead of finishing you off, I'm going to leave you here to slowly burn to death in agony. Byeee!"
Then Sheev rolls up, sees Anakin isn't entirely on fire; he can work with that. Force power or no force power, if you can keep Anakin operating at a level able to kick rear end while on a respirator and having only one of his limbs, a wound like Sabine took is unlikely to pose a problem unless you're out somewhere without adequate medical facilities.

I'm no doctor, but they seemed fairly careful about where on her torso she got stabbed, and I'm guessing there's nothing vital there. Evidently they can do some kind of rapid tissue regeneration, though, as I'd expect a lightsaber-sized segment of Sabine's body is just charred tissue after that hit. (Poor Bordizzo seemed a little unsure whether to be stiff or in pain or what based on the injury, but I can't blame her.)

Also, Filoni really really got influenced by that scene in Phantom Menace where Maul first attacks, didn't he? Because both Rebels and this show have been chock full of the "let's get out of here" moment where a ship in the air shows up, lowers the ramp, and one or more characters jump on, instead of, say, a grounded ship being boarded like in A New Hope.

But that "let's do this an average of once an episode" habit did help me see something clever he did in these first two episodes. The rebellion is over, the Empire has been replaced by the New Republic, our Rebels gang are now legit and part of the establishment. But here's these two not-quite-Jedi, and they're pretty much pulling exactly what the gang used to in Rebels. Send two sorta-Jedi to a starship to break one person out of space jail? No problem, board the ship with a lame excuse nobody would believe but then get the job done. The two confront-then-escape scenes were also somewhat familiar. Even the "tracking device" maneuver is the sort of thing you'd expect to see used against the gang on Rebels. Now that the New Republic is in charge, these Empire people are kinda sorta the rebels, and some of the New Republic folk seem very similar to the Imperials.

FlamingLiberal posted:

My biggest problem above all is the idea that essentially nothing that happened during the original trilogy mattered. Luke ends up broken and in exile exactly like Obi-Wan, the Empire comes back, the loving Emperor comes back with a giant army of ships, etc

Yeah, once you beat imperialism and fascism once, it should be ended once at for all, just like in the real world. And if it isn't, then defeating Hitler meant and did nothing. (I do agree that "somehow, Hitler returned" would have been some real bullshit.)

You can't expect people who were young when they started making Star Wars films and then got older and older to act like they never aged. I don't think 30-year-old George Lucas would be as focused on parliamentary procedure as 50-something Lucas is in the prequels. His west-coast hippie dreams were dashed by reality. It's what I liked about how The Last Jedi ended with children being inspired by Luke Skywalker and showing the potential for the Force without being related to an existing Jedi family; it wasn't cynical or dynastic in the way the other sequels strongly decided to be.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The spin sabers and, tbh, the inquisitors as a whole are among Rebels’ worst crimes. I know everyone wants lightsaber fights but come on, there has to be something more than that behind them. Buncha nobodies. Jedi Fallen Order actually did a decent story with them but I have yet to see another one

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Cartoon Man posted:

“You probably don’t recognize me because of my RAD ARM.” :suicide:

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
I want 10 hours of imperial senate C-SPAN.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
The inquisitors in Rebels regularly kicked their asses, even though they obviously narrowly escaped most times

The pair of them later on would have killed them if Ahsoka hasn't shown up to clown them

The spinning sabres are dumb but it's a bit like Grevious, it's a scary crutch that makes up for some amount of real talent

The the real reason for them though is that the inquisitors work directly for Vader who always thought spinning was a good trick!

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
For once I'd like to see some inquisitors just kick the poo poo out of some Jedis and their padawans. We need someone to bring that Andor energy to Jedi adventure. Keep the fighting at the level of old-school choreographed Hong Kong action or late-period Ronin movies, and everyone comes away from every fight with bruises and bloody noses. Something a little more grounded. Like Jedis having to set broken bones.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

maybealabia posted:

The spinning sabres are dumb but it's a bit like Grevious

Literally:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

maybealabia posted:

The inquisitors in Rebels regularly kicked their asses, even though they obviously narrowly escaped most times

The pair of them later on would have killed them if Ahsoka hasn't shown up to clown them

The spinning sabres are dumb but it's a bit like Grevious, it's a scary crutch that makes up for some amount of real talent

The the real reason for them though is that the inquisitors work directly for Vader who always thought spinning was a good trick!

I kinda like the spinning sabers on Grievous, since it works kind of like level gating. If you get owned by the spinning sabers you weren't worth fighting anyway, and if you find away around it, well, he's going to have a great time dueling you.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

gently caress it we helisabre

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Love Rat posted:

Keep the fighting at the level of old-school choreographed Hong Kong action
Now you're making me want Jedi and Sith flying around on wires like I'm watching Big Trouble in Little Space China. Lo-Pan was practically a Sith lord anyhow.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

I'm feeling rather underwhelmed by everything in Ahsoka aside from Pullo and his sidekick.

I loved the goofy bullshit that was Mando season 1, and continued to enjoy that show through season 2. I consider Andor to have been one of the best TV shows in years.

This is just kind of, OK, I guess? I do wonder if having watched Rebels would have made a difference, but I kind of doubt it.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
These star wars shows are starting to become like the marvel stuff. I don't really know who all these people are unless you are a die hard fan who has watched ALL of the other content.

I thought that older lady looked familiar, didn't realize he was also in Mandalorian. No loving clue who any of these other people are.

I guess there are three sith now from that final shot in ep 2?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Have they ever explained what the different light saber colors mean? Rey is yellow, Dawson is white, bad guys are red, jedi are blue or green. Oh yeah, and there was a purple one too

I've googled it to find out, but its kind of lovely story telling if your audience has to google the lore.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I think yellow is piss, orange means you’re down for anything, green means you’re a prostitute, light blue means you’re up for oral, dark blue means you’re down for butt stuff and red is fisting

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I think yellow is piss, orange means you’re down for anything, green means you’re a prostitute, light blue means you’re up for oral, dark blue means you’re down for butt stuff and red is fisting

oh poo poo, so purple would be butt stuff fisting

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It never meant anything except red is for bad guys. Some lovely video games tried to establish the color signified your jedi subclass or whatever for a while but everyone rightly ignores that. It's just whatever they thought would look good

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Yes. May the force be with you

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Of course Marrok's yet another name related to wolves, in this case from Sir Marrok: A Tale of the Days of King Arthur

quote:

Marrok is an honorable knight who serves first Uther and then Arthur. For the former, he drives robbers, witches and warlocks, and wolves from Bedgraine and then becomes its lord. When he joins Arthur in his continental wars, he designates Irma, a learned woman, to govern them. But she is 'of the council of Morgan le Fay' and proves to be a self-serving ruler who turns the land back to its former savagery. When Marrok returns, Irma uses a spell to turn him into a wolf. But even in this form he does all he can to restore order by slaying wolves, driving off witches and warlocks, and battling robbers. Ultimately, he enters his former castle, makes his way to Irma's room, and destroys the talisman that binds him in a wolf's form. To save herself, she drinks a potion she intended for Marrok's son and is turned into an owl

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Rappaport posted:

I still think it would've been cooler if she sliced it instead, woulda gone a long way to keep with the kind of "I'm letting you get away, but you're gonna have to come up with something better next time, junior" energy they're giving Ahsoka

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Sam Jackson knows what's what

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhgcKGIUtIc&t=10s

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Buncha nerfherders horny posting in the Star wars thread

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
White ones are meant to be purified red ones (which are themselves corrupted).

A bunch of Jedi guards used yellow ones but it wasn't really meant to be limited to them, it was just part of the uniform.

No Mods No Masters posted:

It never meant anything except red is for bad guys. Some lovely video games tried to establish the color signified your jedi subclass or whatever for a while but everyone rightly ignores that. It's just whatever they thought would look good

Even the game ignored that, it was basically just a way of making the starting classes more visually distinct.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

To me the dark jedis having orange sabre blades is a callback to dark Kyle Katarn from Mysteries of the Sith specifically, where his canonical second sabre (previously Yun's yellow blade, who was a recently converted dark jedi) was darkened by his own temptations to the dark side or whatever. There may be some other influence in the EU, but when I first saw Baylan and Shin that's immediately what I thought as a star wars video game dork. I guess Gorc and Pic who I previously referenced also had orange sabre blades, again dark jedi brothers from what I remember. Either way, orange has always been coded as dark jedi for me.

Ahsoka's blades used to be green, but since her fallout with the order they lost their colour. It symbolically works for me, and honestly white blades look pretty bad rear end.

E: Kyber crystals are really just spicy mood stones

Jehde fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 25, 2023

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Have they ever explained what the different light saber colors mean? Rey is yellow, Dawson is white, bad guys are red, jedi are blue or green. Oh yeah, and there was a purple one too

I've googled it to find out, but its kind of lovely story telling if your audience has to google the lore.

Literally the only reason there's any color other than blue and red is because the blue didn't show up against the sky in Return of the Jedi, so Luke got a green one.

When Luke busted out a green one, it was a simpler time and we just said "oh he has a green one now." Aside from one purple one, no one ever had a different color in live action until Rey. There wasn't really a lore reason for the colors because there wasn't anything to explain.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sash! posted:

Literally the only reason there's any color other than blue and red is because the blue didn't show up against the sky in Return of the Jedi, so Luke got a green one.

When Luke busted out a green one, it was a simpler time and we just said "oh he has a green one now." Aside from one purple one, no one ever had a different color in live action until Rey. There wasn't really a lore reason for the colors because there wasn't anything to explain.

Similarly, the only reason a purple one exists if I remember right is because Sam Jackson specifically requested it

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Larryb posted:

Similarly, the only reason a purple one exists if I remember right is because Sam Jackson specifically requested it

As a condition of playing Mace. He was bluffing, but Lucas agreed immediately.

So the story goes, at least

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

maybealabia posted:

As a condition of playing Mace. He was bluffing, but Lucas agreed immediately.

So the story goes, at least

The key to Star Wars's successes and failures is when the team decides to go with something because it would be cool and then post-hoc provides reasoning to fit the setting/story.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Did they ever try to provide an in-universe explanation for Mace Windu's purple sabre blade? Or is it just Mace Windu is a bad rear end.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Love Rat posted:

That's Space Gimp to you.

Gimpquisitor.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

thrawn527 posted:

The Star Wars Explained guy said that while he was watching, his partner pointed out that it looked like a Celtic symbol representing he Maiden, the Mother, and the Crone. So there might be something there, but I have no idea what yet.

There's a Father/Son/Daughter force triad thing in Clone Wars and Rebels. They're called The Ones.

Ahsoka even has her life linked to the Daughter through mystical bullshit and gets a magic owl.

edit: beaten, natch

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 25, 2023

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Saber color should only be determined by the crystal you put in it, like in KotOR :colbert:

The whole thing where it can actually change based on the inherent nature of the person holding it is so stupid. Worst thing about Visions is how that started popping up in a bunch of the episodes.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Begemot posted:

Saber color should only be determined by the crystal you put in it, like in KotOR :colbert:

The whole thing where it can actually change based on the inherent nature of the person holding it is so stupid. Worst thing about Visions is how that started popping up in a bunch of the episodes.

I think as long as they avoid them being outright mood crystals its fine. The whole 'changing your fate' thing with lightsabers is baked in at a pretty low level, so them reflecting your nature seems congruent.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Jehde posted:

gently caress it we helisabre

I was really hoping the inquisitor dude was gonna do that to get away from Ahsoka. Bummed he didn't, but Ahsoka dodging his recall was pretty badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Reminder that Huyang is 25 thousand years old and still has 70% of his original parts. More than chopper that is one droid no one should ever gently caress with.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I was really hoping the inquisitor dude was gonna do that to get away from Ahsoka. Bummed he didn't, but Ahsoka dodging his recall was pretty badass

Yeah this was a massive missed opportunity, soon as he started spinning it I was all ready for him to just heli his way up onto the escape shuttle but then he threw it lol.