Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

obi_ant posted:

What is the point of companies not allowing price adjustments online? I purchased a couple of glasses two days ago and they went and they went on sale today. I emailed about getting a price adjustment and they said they wouldn’t be able to do it. So I would have to place and new order and return the original one.

Seems like a real waste of time and resources. From their returns team, customer service team and their shipping team. Not to mention all that stupid shipping back and forth.

It might be that whoever processes their payments isn't set up for partial refunds. So if they'd refund part of what you paid, you'd still be able to claim a full refund from your card issuer for something else.
This really shouldn't be a thing anymore, but still occurs sometimes.

Or their own software may not have ways to do partial refunds at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

obi_ant posted:

What is the point of companies not allowing price adjustments online? I purchased a couple of glasses two days ago and they went and they went on sale today. I emailed about getting a price adjustment and they said they wouldn’t be able to do it. So I would have to place and new order and return the original one.

Seems like a real waste of time and resources. From their returns team, customer service team and their shipping team. Not to mention all that stupid shipping back and forth.

It's a waste of your time to do 2 separate purchases and 1 return/refund. It's a lot easier for the retailer to do those steps, most of which are automated, and already exist as established processes, rather than pay humans to process or program in the extra steps needed to do a price match after the fact.

It also has the side benefit (to them) of making you do extra work, with the knowledge that some percentage of people will see it as not worth the hassle and just give up.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020

Inceltown posted:

Your grips are toast and new ones are required if you don't want slimy hands. You could probably wear gloves if you wanted to instead but getting new grips should be pretty trivial.

CzarChasm posted:

There's a few things you can do to fix this.

If the handles are rubber, this is probably beyond a cleaning stage. Rubber products that get handled frequently just eventually absorb oil and sweat and they wear out and get gummy. There are products that are supposed to clean and restore, but I have not had much luck with them, and as you describe, they just seem to stay sticky.

You can order replacement handlebar grips, so long as you are able to remove the old ones. Depending on the material, they might just slide off, with some effort, maybe get some good pliers. Or just cut them down the middle entirely. New ones would slide over the base metal pretty easily.

Tape would be OK, but depending on type and how often you are using the bike and getting it sweaty, it might wear through, and give you a gummy/sticky residue all it's own. If you have the hard plastic or if the rubber had bumps and grooves for better grip, then taping over that will create uneven surfaces, likely leading to faster wear and different stickiness. I would not tape up the bare metal.

If you just want something to protect the metal, you could use a few coats of plasti-dip or some of the flex seal liquid plastic products, but honestly, I don't like how they feel on my hands, but to each their own. It's not going to be as soft as rubber or molded foam like the replacements would be, but it may be cheaper. Personally if I was going down this path, I'd use the liquid product and find a way to dip the handlebars. The spray and brush options never really worked out for me.

Regardless, I'd say pick up some workout gloves for the future too.

Thanks! Unfortunately the handlebar is just one big piece. Here's what it looks like.

So I'm not sure where to go from here.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Can you just wrap over it with bar tape? or I suppose you could cut the foam off and put new on, with like, pipe insulation, and then wrap that.

ALIEN PROS Bike Handlebar Tape EVA

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've got a cute little acrylic charm I want to put on a keychain, what's the best way to protect the painted side so the art doesn't scratch off? I've heard that clear nail polish is a bad idea but heck if I know any better ones.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
There's a thing called acrylic resin varnish that works great.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there a Travel / Holidaying thread? I am thinking of taking a small vacation to Greece and wanted advice. Currently just playing with the idea of flying into Athens, spending 3-4 days there, then getting a ferry to Santorini and spending another 3-4 days there before ferrying back to Athens and potentially getting a flight back home.

In terms of what I'm looking for in a holiday, I'm not a fan of hectic or crowded locations. I want somewhere peaceful to just absorb the sights and sounds and nature. However, I can deal with crowds for brief periods. Maybe go to a sailing club / school to see if a day sail is possible with someone.

I was also thinking of Bodrum in Turkey? It seems like the perfect place where I might catch a day sailing activity.

PS: I have no sailing experience but I do think I'd enjoy it.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 22, 2023

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

There are travel threads for locations but afaik not a "tell me where to go" thread.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

There are travel threads for locations but afaik not a "tell me where to go" thread.

Where can I find the travel thread for Greece

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Qubee posted:

Is there a Travel / Holidaying thread? I am thinking of taking a small vacation to Greece and wanted advice. Currently just playing with the idea of flying into Athens, spending 3-4 days there, then getting a ferry to Santorini and spending another 3-4 days there before ferrying back to Athens and potentially getting a flight back home.

In terms of what I'm looking for in a holiday, I'm not a fan of hectic or crowded locations. I want somewhere peaceful to just absorb the sights and sounds and nature. However, I can deal with crowds for brief periods. Maybe go to a sailing club / school to see if a day sail is possible with someone.

I was also thinking of Bodrum in Turkey? It seems like the perfect place where I might catch a day sailing activity.

PS: I have no sailing experience but I do think I'd enjoy it.

Be aware that at least some parts of Greece have heatwaves and or forest fires currently.
Personally I'd not go to Greece in summer except for beach holidays or something like that.
AFAIK Santorini is PACKED in summer. (I've been in October and then it's nearly empty). No sailing though I did some diving.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Qubee posted:

Where can I find the travel thread for Greece
Tourism & travel is a subforum of ask & tell.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Mano posted:

Be aware that at least some parts of Greece have heatwaves and or forest fires currently.
Personally I'd not go to Greece in summer except for beach holidays or something like that.
AFAIK Santorini is PACKED in summer. (I've been in October and then it's nearly empty). No sailing though I did some diving.

I was planning September 3rd-10th, is that still considered summer period and packed? The flight is to Mykonos where I plan on spending 6 days, then ferrying to Santorini for two days, then back to Mykonos for the last two days.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Qubee posted:

I was planning September 3rd-10th, is that still considered summer period and packed? The flight is to Mykonos where I plan on spending 6 days, then ferrying to Santorini for two days, then back to Mykonos for the last two days.

not sure if it's still summer packed, but it's certainly still hot then.
Also yeah, tourism forum.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

We were in Athens and Crete this month. No fires, but I gather more have flared up this week. It was loving hot all the same.

Athens is lovely, and was happy to have 4 days there to amble about with family, but you could probably do the Main Touristy things, Acropolis etc in two if you want to go more places - its all quite compact and walkable. There an underground system thats fine. Uber works as a regular taxi booking service only, that let's you pay a set price online which was handy.

I envied the locals who did their daily runs across the hillside park under the Acropolis that goes past 'Socrates' Prison' etc.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

tuyop posted:

Why are there two different number pads throughout North America?

Like why is it
code:
On my computer but
code:
On phones and other stuff?

MyronMulch posted:

See this page for some explanations about keypads being different arrangements for different purposes.

The F-16 also has a kepyad like this that's really important for selecting screens and entering data and stuff, and it's got 1 2 3 at the top. Huge pain in the backside for flighsimming in VR, when you want to press the buttons on the keyboard as they are laid out in your virtual cockpit, but you also want to type in numbers and your computer numpad muscle memory kicks in and screws things up...

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Hyperlynx posted:

The F-16 also has a kepyad like this that's really important for selecting screens and entering data and stuff, and it's got 1 2 3 at the top. Huge pain in the backside for flighsimming in VR, when you want to press the buttons on the keyboard as they are laid out in your virtual cockpit, but you also want to type in numbers and your computer numpad muscle memory kicks in and screws things up...

It's a flight sim, isn't there a $400 hardware addon that gets the numbers correct?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
What's cloud backup services do goons recommend? I am currently using backblaze but got an email that they'll be massively raising their prices, from $60 to $99/year.

I want a solution that will back up all the crap on my pc automagically in the background without me having to think about it or janitor anything. Not something like dropbox where it only syncs one specific folder and then if your pc gets stolen or whatever all the crap you didn't think ahead of time to put in that folder is gone forever.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

What's cloud backup services do goons recommend? I am currently using backblaze but got an email that they'll be massively raising their prices, from $60 to $99/year.

I want a solution that will back up all the crap on my pc automagically in the background without me having to think about it or janitor anything. Not something like dropbox where it only syncs one specific folder and then if your pc gets stolen or whatever all the crap you didn't think ahead of time to put in that folder is gone forever.
Comedy option: make your own!

How many computers, how much data? I've used Arq in the past and it was fine.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Carillon posted:

It's a flight sim, isn't there a $400 hardware addon that gets the numbers correct?

That's the thing, I can't see the buttons, I'm in VR. Buying the $400 panel wouldn't help, I'd still press the wrong ones out of numpad muscle memory. Heck, I'd probably do that even without VR while trying to quickly type in a number.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Trapick posted:

Comedy option: make your own!

How many computers, how much data? I've used Arq in the past and it was fine.

A local nas is really not what I want out of a backup since it does nothing to help in situations like "my house burned down/flooded" or "someone broke in and stole all my electronics", or (most likely) "i forgot to check in on it and it hasn't been running the backup job for the past 3 months whoops"

I'll check out Arq though, thanks

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I've been happy with iDrive for a few years now.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Maybe check out Wasabi? I'm not sure on pricing but might be something to check out.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

How do I get my phone to stop popping this up whenever I connect headphones? Without signing up, I mean.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
On my phone running android 13, I can open up the settings, search for "google assistant", tap that, scroll way down to "general", and then in that menu there's a toggle to turn assistant entirely off.

If you want to keep it otherwise and just disable those popups then idk which setting to touch

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

drat, I don't have those settings :(

I want to get rid of it as completely and permanently as possible, honestly

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Hyperlynx posted:

drat, I don't have those settings :(

I want to get rid of it as completely and permanently as possible, honestly

You can delete it if you connect with ADB but that can open up other problems if you mess it up.

Easiest is to go
Settings > search for assistance and voice input > set assist app to none.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Inceltown posted:

You can delete it if you connect with ADB but that can open up other problems if you mess it up.

Easiest is to go
Settings > search for assistance and voice input > set assist app to none.

Using ADB is a distinct possibility, because the only "assistant" option I have is already set to "none"

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

So if you search "assistant" do you see assistant settings. I vaguely remember going in there > General > assistant off too.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I just use Google for this. You pick folders that it will sync, so I have "Documents" and then a few other things.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I used Crashplan years ago. I even had to restore my backup once due to a messed up computer migration. Downloading data took ages, but it worked.

Backblaze I've often heard recommended. I bet all the top players are good these days.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

If you're an artist of some sort, would it complicate anything legally to name all your works the same thing

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Tie clips are a thing in men's formal wear, right? Do they fasten the entire tie to your shirt or what?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Blue Labrador posted:

Tie clips are a thing in men's formal wear, right? Do they fasten the entire tie to your shirt or what?

Yes, basically they keep the tie from getting into your soup when you lean over it. Not saying thats their entire purpose historically but thats all they seemed to accomplish for my old boss

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Tie tacks do the same thing (keep it from flapping all about). I'm a fan.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Grassy Knowles posted:

Not saying thats their entire purpose

Functionality aside, they're also one of the few pieces of jewelry that can be worn with a suit and still be considered "conservative." You can do a watch, which nobody will likely think twice about, even if it is particularly expensive or flashy. Then there's the tie bar, which again will not necessarily attract much attention, but is somewhat practical and can be matched to your watch or whatever. Anything beyond that starts to get into flamboyant or outlandish, like cuff links and lapel pins.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

litany of gulps posted:

Anything beyond that starts to get into flamboyant or outlandish, like cuff links and lapel pins.

what year do you think this is

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

what year do you think this is

I wasn't much under the impression that that mattered when considering, as I said in my previous post, what was considered conservative. By its very nature, conservative fashion is slow to adopt changes. Formal menswear seems to be particularly ossified, with extremely small changes happening over extremely long periods of time.

Has there been some sea change that I've missed? I see people in suits every day (in the education field, if it matters), and I can't remember the last cuff link I saw. Anyone wearing one would definitely be making a fashion statement, hence the term flamboyant. Lapel pins are for politicians trying to make statements in bad taste. What other jewelry options are there in a suit? Maybe it's different if you're an investment banker or something, I wouldn't know, but the standard business suit wearer is just some schlub in a uniform.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
In tyool 2023 i see vanishingly few careers where someone must wear a business suit which means the majority of people in such a suit are intending some form of flamboyance already

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Grassy Knowles posted:

In tyool 2023 i see vanishingly few careers where someone must wear a business suit which means the majority of people in such a suit are intending some form of flamboyance already

I mean, fair point, I guess. I suppose I work in a particular field where all of the low level managers wear low quality suits in an old-fashioned way, and the higher level managers wear higher quality suits with minimal flamboyance. So maybe this is just a misalignment of experience and perception.

Edit: But you know, I think I'll reiterate my point. I used to work retail and every random low level manager had a lovely suit. Maybe they didn't wear it every day like a Mad Men episode, but everyone has a crappy suit in their closet, and they all are going for a conservative look, not trying to do some GQ thing. I haven't noticed Men's Wearhouse going out of business. I think it is a real stretch to claim that everyone in a suit is going for a flamboyant look. I think you just aren't noticing all of the random dudes wearing basic rear end uniform suits with minimal ornamentation. Which circles back to the original point, that the tie bar is one of the only pieces of ornamentation that you'll find on the everyday-schlub suit wearer that won't attract too much attention or make too bold of a statement. And even that is relatively rare.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I don't even own a suit and still have cufflinks that look a little nicer than I'd get from a rental store for the once or twice a decade I need to wear a suit somewhere. Cufflinks aren't some weird fancy pants bit of kit.