Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The problem with saying "no ethical consumption under capitalism" is that it's just a fancy way of saying "everything sucks anyways so why bother trying to do good". It absolves the person saying it from having to make ethical choices. It's a trite justification for supporting a piece of poo poo person or company simply because you enjoy what they do, instead of not supporting them and seeking out other, less bad, alternatives where possible or just doing without that thing altogether. Nobody needs a loving Harry Potter book or movie or game in order to survive, if it means supporting an absolute dogshit person like Rowling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Lottery of Babylon posted:

JKR donates money to anti-trans political activity

do you have details on this? google's not helping

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Clipperton posted:

Afaik the only public funding of trans exclusionary stuff is "Beira's Place", a support service for cis women victims of sexual violence*. Given the amount of money sloshing around in the various astroterf groups it's likely she supports a fair number of them monetarily rather than just vocally.

*There being more support services for victims of sexual violence is good, excluding trans women (who are vastly more likely to be sexually assaulted by cis women than vice versa) and non binary women is not. Also having a prison governor on the board who ran women's prisons, with conditions at one described as "antediluvian and appalling" by an official review, is probably not great either.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The only reason for the existence of Beira's Place is precisely because Rowling was upset that Rape Crisis Scotland provides services to trans victims of sexual assault. The TERFs loving hate Rape Crisis Scotland because they refuse to be transphobic.

It's good that more shelters exist, but let's not pretend the woman who wrote Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (inter alia) cares about sexual assault victims.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I should clarify my statement, I guess.

We're talking around each other with regards to transphobia and Rowling. Everyone here agrees that transphobia is bad, and transphobic people are also agreed to be bad. What I'm saying is that it's not the only evil in the world, and that one has to be careful with which wagon to hitch to. The Walt Disney Company is not absolved of sin just because of their stance against Ron DeSantis.

For the record, while I am a cisgendered, heterosexual male, my sibling is non-binary and has been in a mental health crisis for the past year.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Clipperton posted:

https://twitter.com/jessiegender/status/1663451466085048320

Kellie-Jay Keen is better known as Posie Parker and she's recently made headlines because she went on a tour of Australia, had no-poo poo neonazis show up to her event to sieg heil. This is not an uncommon occurrence. She's also famous for wanting cis men to walk into women's rooms with guns just in case there's trans people in there.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

She additionally got extremely owned when she attempted to show up in Auckland, go look it up :ssh:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I've been wondering for a while, so I'll ask this question - does anyone know the full Disney+ deal with the show? As of right now, Doctor Who is still streaming on Max, and I'm wondering if Disney is simply taking the place of AMC here in the States for first-run rights and not perpetuity (i.e. after first-run) rights.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
It seems that the trivia for most serials starring Adric is "Matthew Waterhouse acted rudely on set and annoyed people". It seems like he's grown a lot over the decades as a person, but there seems to be a bit of friction between him and Janet Fielding at the very least.

I was at an event a few weeks ago, where they had one of the tech guys who worked on Earthshock give a talk, and he remembered how the team decided on the silent credits, and he made a joke about "and that's how I helped kill off Adric!". The host replied "many people over the years have wished they could say that". You could almost hear the collective wince from the audience.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Just popping in to wish Sly a happy 80th birthday! I got to meet him at a con around... must've been 1997 or so, whenever the SW trilogy got re-released. He and Kenny Baker were the 2 big guests doing autograph lines. What with all the SW hype, the line for Baker was enormous, and there poor Sly was just chilling alone. :( Gave me plenty of time to chat with him, an absolutely charming fellow.

Edit: also Baker would only sign 8x10 photos you had to buy for $10. I've since sold them, lol. I have Sly's autograph in my sketchbook for the "price" of a nice conversation, and I am never getting rid of that.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 20, 2023

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It's also Sophie Aldred, Anthony Ainley, and Dalek Barnaby Edwards' b-days!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Happy birthday Clipperton!!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Davros1 posted:

It's also Sophie Aldred, Anthony Ainley, and Dalek Barnaby Edwards' b-days!

Wow, Ace, her Doc, AND the Master share a birthday?! That's a wild bit of trivia! Gonna have to fire up Survival tonight.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

How appropriate, Clever Dick Films has released his latest companion chronicle today, focusing on Ace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ9a82fqbmc

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

My favorite story from the McCoy era:

Anthony Ainley only had two great passions: playing cricket, and playing the Master. When they were filming Survival, he was chatting to Sophie Aldred. When she mentioned she liked playing cricket as well, he was overjoyed and they became firm friends from that point on. :3:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1693941118885367857

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Season 11, Episode 9: It Takes You Away
Written by Ed Hime, Directed by Jamie Childs

Grace O'Brien posted:

I feel like me.

It's important when talking about an episode of Doctor Who to not reduce it to a binary level of good/bad, quality/crap. Every episode has its flaws, every episode has its highlights (yes, even Sleep No More), no episode is ever truly perfect and no episode is pure dogshit. So when it comes to this episode, which is often lauded as the best episode of Season 11, I think it's important to remember and highlight the things it gets wrong as well, for the sake of balance.

The weirdo alien dude who lives in the tunnel between realities is a badly written bit of filler to pad out the episode time.

Okay, I'm done talking badly about this beautiful episode now.

The Doctor brings the companions to Norway in 2018, not for any particular reason, and presumably entirely by accident. The fact the companions are relying on the Doctor to figure out what part of their own planet she's brought them to is a nice touch... these three are NOT world travelers, even though they're better traveled than 99% of the human population at this point. The Doctor's methods of figuring out where and when they've landed are played up for comedy as she nibbles soil and lets slip about a future rebellion by sheep, but there is somewhat of a sense that she's more playing a part than anything else, keeping everybody amused and unconcerned while she actually ensures all is right. It makes for a lovely quiet contrast when she stops playing about to note that the nearby house the others have spotted has some immediate signs of being somewhat "wrong" they didn't pick up on at all - it's Norway in winter and there is no smoke coming from the chimney, something's not quite right there.

The unease grows as they reach the house and find the windows boarded up, Ryan spotting movement inside. While technically they're breaking and entering, and have zero right to be making judgments about why the owner might have boarded the place up (this episode hits a little different post pandemic), they move in out of concern that somebody is scared/in danger/needs help. Inside they eventually find a young blind girl, left alone by a father who has disappeared after warning her to stay inside the horse, her mother recently deceased which lead to them moving out here to the countryside in the first place in an attempt at a fresh start. Something is in the woods, she can't explain what, but it was fearsome enough for her father to board up all the windows and warn her not to leave the house for any reason. She can hear it at night, a horrifying inhuman sound, and one morning she woke up to find her father simply gone, and she can only assume it has taken him away.

There's a weirdly forced aspect to Ryan immediately declaring the father probably just took off, which is meant to play off his own abandonment issues revealed in previous episodes over his deadbeat absentee father. It feels rather unearned for him to just immediately jump to this conclusion straight away though given all the evidence in front of him and his own recent experiences with the alien and the uncanny, and it of course immediately sets the girl - Hanne - to consider him suspiciously. Yaz is irritated by Ryan's attitude, while Graham of course offers a more appropriately grandfatherly attitude towards the young girl, helping ease her tension through actions like offering her a sandwich, revealed in a humorous moment where he admits he keeps food on him at all times because needs the energy to keep up with the rest as they regularly go long stretches between meals on adventures and he's an old man with low blood sugar!

At this point in the episode, as they explore the home, hear the alien cry of the thing out in the woods and find dangerous looking traps stored in the shed, it looks for all the world like we're going to get a base under siege episode and perhaps even a "And then there were none..." picking off of the characters. That would have just been fine by me, I love a good old fashioned base under siege! Except that's not what we get, what we get is something phenomenally weirder, stranger and far more creative. And it all starts with a mirror that doesn't show reflections.

Graham and Ryan encounter an upstairs mirror that is reflecting the room but not themselves. Momentarily forgetting the inhuman noise from outside or that they're supposed to be confirming the upstairs windows are secured, they approach and Graham reaches out to touch the mirror... and his hand goes into it. The Doctor immediately arrives on the scene, having heard the noise and felt the disturbance caused by the mirror getting Graham's attention, and orders him away, using the Sonic Screwdriver to lock off whatever was making the mirror permeable, their reflections returning.

This of course has captured all their attention, the noise from outside momentarily forgotten... or rather redirected, as surely there must be some connection between the creature outside and whatever was happening to the mirror. The Doctor, having ordered Graham away, of course can't resist her own curiosity after they hear the whirring sound from the mirror once more. Using her sonic, she "unlocks" it and with some trepidation decides to go face first into passing through, rather than leading with her hand. She gets a brief look at the other side and then hauls herself back, stumbling in Graham and Ryan's arms and admitting that the transference left her feeling somewhat dizzy.

The mirror it seems is some kind of portal, and when Yaz and Janne arrive the Doctor blurts out that it's a portal to another reality before admitting she was perhaps dizzier than expected by just kind of dumping that on Hanne. She wants to explore further, unsure if the creature and the portal are related but concerned that it appeared to be trying to lure Graham in when she arrived (his protest that he didn't give it his credit card numbers is great). Agreeing to take Graham and Yaz with her as back-up, she insists that Hanne remains behind with Ryan, an idea that doesn't sit well with either of them (and let's be honest, Yaz or Graham would make more sense to stay, given their rapport with her, but that would mess with character interactions/development to come!) and explains out loud that she's drawing a map of the house on the wall marking vulnerabilities for Ryan to keep an eye on. With that, she and the others step through the mirror, leaving Ryan behind to stare at the rather stark and uncompromising message the Doctor actually wrote that shut up his own protests.

"Assume her dad is dead. Keep her safe. Find out who else can take care of her."

This marks the start of the worst part of the episode, as mentioned above, presumably included to pad out the run time. The trio find themselves in a narrow path surrounded by rock walls, and encounter a goblin-like man in an old leather trench-coat (where'd he get the material? The rats?) who carries around a red light balloon and a pile of dead rat-like creatures. His name is Ribbons of the Seven Stomachs and he doesn't make any sense at all. Enamored with the Doctor's sonic, he offers to guide them along with his balloon light to where he saw the "ugly creature" that they assume was Hanne's father in exchange for it. The Doctor agrees to give the sonic on delivery provided he leaves his bone knife behind and he agrees, and her credulity in assuming this was his only weapon makes no sense at all.

Eventually he will reveal that the narrow paths are an "anti-zone", which she will explain to the others is a kind of protective link between realities the universe creates to keep them from colliding. How he knows this is unclear, as he claims to have "always" existed here, with no explanation on if he showed up fully formed or he was born here, if the latter then are there more of him? Did he have parents? How did he survive for so long being able to avoid/distract the flesh-eating moths and yet be so stupid as to leap after the dropped sonic when a bunch of them are swarming, thus ending a presumably infinite existence of survival in the stupidest way possible? How did the Doctor not notice that he cut the string she was using to Theseus her way through the labyrinth? Did the Solitract ever try to lure him? What kind of eco-system exists in the anti-zone that allows the presumably high breeding numbers of the six-legged rats and the flesh-eating moths to survive in such great numbers?

It's all very dumb and silly and detracts from an otherwise very atmospheric and weird (in a good way episode) and I'd have much rather they just extended out the quasi-base under siege elements, had the mirror successfully lure at least a couple of the companions before eventually getting to the real quality meat of the story. That would still require some reworking to show the danger Ryan and Hanne were in that triggers Graham's realization that his greatest wish hasn't come true, but I think it could have been done in a way that didn't involve a poorly written side character that eats up just a bit too much of the episode time.

But oh God, everything gets SO much better after this. Escaping through a portal of light in the Anti-Zone, the Doctor and companions find themselves... back in the upstairs of Hanne's home in Norway. Except, something's not quite right. The furniture orientation is wrong. The windows aren't boarded up. And the Doctor, Graham and Yaz are.... different. Something is off. Something is wrong. It takes a moment to grasp that we're seeing them in reverse, a mirror image of their normal appearance that means they look like (and are) the exact same person... but slightly off. The minor asymmetery of the human face that we simply don't notice normally is reversed and thus stands out because our mind is picking out the difference. Hair is parted on the "wrong" side. The Doctor's earring appears to be on the wrong ear. This is more than just a clever effect to showcase the sense that things aren't quite right, it will play into the nature of the soon to be revealed Solitract as well: everything about how this place is shown on screen is meant to evoke an instinctual reaction of danger/unease and kick off a fight or flight response. Things not being quite right on a simple animal level brings survival instincts to the fore, and that's a massively important part of the actual story being told here and the background information we're soon to get.

Heading downstairs to the kitchen, they discover Hanne's father Erik (his Slayer t-shirt reading reyalS) cheerfully making breakfast and even more shocked to discover them in his house than they are to discover him not only alive but apparently in a great mood and in no rush to get back to his daughter. At first his protests have an air of the reasonable: oh Hanne's not starving, there is plenty of food and she's just being a moody teenager; he only made up the story about the creature in the woods (they don't know but Ryan has discovered on the other side the noise was actually a recording on a scheduled timer) to keep her from wandering in there and getting hurt; there's a shitload of traps in the shed because there may not be an alien in the woods but there are bears etc.

Except... it's all bullshit. His justifications are downplaying how monstrous his abandonment was, how terrified and traumatized Hanne has been by his actions... and of course that he's not just hanging out in this oddly idyllic version of his own home by himself, because why would he make two sets of breakfast? The answer is Trine, his dead wife... who is very much alive here. She doesn't offer any explanations for how she can be there, she doesn't know herself, admitting that she even remembers dying... but then here she was, Erik finding her in this version of their home, and he's spent the last few days reveling in their reunion. They've both tried to depart through the mirror but for whatever reason, Trine can't go, and though he insisted earlier that he was going to return to Hanne "soon", he hasn't been able to bring himself to leave for fear that he won't be able to get back.

Dad of the loving Year, here.

When Graham complains (correctly) that Erik doesn't have his priorities right and they need to leave to get back to Hanne, Trine suddenly rather suspiciously speaks up to point out for the first time that she thought Graham would want to see his "friend" fight, who arrived at the same time he did. It's so obviously a ploy that sirens should be going off, and when Graham steps outside and sees who is standing there his first reaction is to moan,"Please don't do this to me...." but all jokes about credit cards aside, he has been successfully lured just as Trine clearly wanted.

It's Grace.

Hanne has proved to be smarter than her father, having guessed correctly from a lifetime of living using her ears as her primary sense that the Doctor was writing words on the wall and not drawing a map. After Ryan discovers that the sound of the creature outside is just a recording left by her father, he goes to inform her and - in a comically poorly conveyed bit of "action" - gets knocked out by her slamming a door in his face. She enters the mirror and after recovering he goes after her, both of them following the Doctor's cut string till they reach Ribbons' corpse, which thankfully she can't see. Ryan finds the dropped red balloon, but this also starts to attract the flesh eating moths who apparently haven't quite had their full yet despite eating a whole Ribbons for lunch.

In the mirror reality, "Grace" assures a suspicious but desperately hopeful Graham that she is who she appears to be. She remembers everything, including dying trying to stop Tzim-Sha's coil probe. She identifies the little frog necklace he is wearing as the gift he bought for her without checking with Ryan who had also bought her one, because both of them knew how much she loved frogs. Not wanting to believe but WANTING to believe, Graham complains that it must be a trick, but she assures him that she feels like herself. More importantly, she offers no explanation. She doesn't know how she is here, or why, or whether there is something else going on. All she knows is that she is Grace, he is Graham, and they love each other.

The Doctor, of course, wants an explanation. Retreating to the upstairs bedroom with Yaz, she essentially talks herself through the problem with Yaz effectively a sounding board. This leads to a rather wonderful exchange (and a bit of lampshading from Ed Hime!) when she figures out this must be The Solitract! Surely she's told Yaz all about the Solitract before!

Yaz posted:

Literally never heard the word before.

The Doctor gives an explanation, and the name itself is largely irrelevant. You could just as easily call it Anti-Matter or Anti-Life or an Anti-Universe. It was a part of the initial goop of creation, before time or space or anything else. Nothing worked, nothing held together, nothing made sense... because the Solitract by its very nature interfered with the cohesion of things. The Universe essentially shunted it off, parceled it out to another reality and closed itself off... and the moment the Solitract was gone, everything worked, everything made sense. But where did that leave the Solitract? Like a kid with chicken pox, wanting to play with the other kids but not allowed because it would get them sick.

Don't you know you're supposed to let pre-creation play with the Solitract so it doesn't get it when it's an adult universe!?!

But even if the Doctor's wild stab at what this reality is turns out to be true, she still doesn't understand why it's gone ahead and created a mirror of our own reality. Yaz notes it sounds like a trap, and it almost beggars belief that neither of them - based on the description the Doctor just gave and the fact Erik and Graham have been presented with their dead wives suddenly apparently alive and well again - have figured out yet what is going on.

Graham, despite knowing better and his reasonable suspicions, simply can't help himself. The more he talks with Grace, the more he opens his heart and lets his guard down, because this really is his dream come true. She's alive again, and he can share his life with her again. Excitedly it all spills out, the adventures he has had with the Doctor, going to alien worlds, meeting Rosa Parks! But when she sadly notes he seems to be doing just fine without her, he admits that he's lost without her, he continues to miss her every day.

This, of course, is exactly what "Grace" wants to hear. When the Doctor rushes up and insists they have to leave, Graham is now defending Grace when the Doctor insists that she isn't real even if she is unaware of that. They at least follow her to the upstairs bedroom, but now the Doctor can't open the mirror again, the Solitract adapting to prevent her being able to open and close it at will.... until Yaz suggests trying something different like "reversing the polarity", a concept that delights the Doctor remembering those heady days in the 1970s when she was a medallion man :allears:

* Or was it the 1980s?

Opening the mirror however simply allows Hanne to escape through it, after Ryan distracted the flesh eating moths to allow her a chance to race towards the light they could see. The Doctor is shocked to see her, while Erik is delighted... now he doesn't have to go back and risk not being able to return, Hanne is here and they can all be a family again! Eagerly he tells her that there is somebody here who wants to see her, and Trine warmly greets her.... and is immediately rejected, Hanne jerking away and gasping that she's not her mother.

I think it's really important to note here that Hanne's rejection isn't based on some heightened sense of perception she has a result of being blind. More it's that the Solitract is wrong, whether fairly or unfairly. There's a reason that it has taken the form of Trine and Grace, because it knows both Erik and Graham are blinded by their grief and willing to overlook the warning signs their every molecule is screaming at them that something is off about the thing in front of them. Which is not to say that Hanne doesn't grieve for her mother, but she's also come to terms with the death in a way that Erik clearly has not. Graham too still grieves, and his adventuring with the Doctor has been a way to help put the need to really cope with that on the back burner, but he's also shown at least some resistance to simple belief that this impossible thing has happened. When he discovers Ryan is still inside the Anti-Zone and in danger, his first reaction is to race inside to save him, and Grace's sudden protest is the first clear sign to him that this isn't the woman he desperately wants to somehow, some mad way, still be alive.

Rumbling gives further impetus to the need to escape, even beyond Ryan's danger. The Doctor warns that Erik was maybe manageable, but all of them being here is straining reality as their repelling natures are too much to be contained. Now Trine is less the loving mother and wife and more alien as she snarls that the Doctor is mad, and when Yaz snaps at "Grace" not to take advantage of Graham's grief and points out how the real Grace would have acted in this situation, the mask finally drops. First Yaz and then Hanne are physically ejected through the mirror by Grace and Hanne, Trine at first acting astonished while the Doctor talks past the facade to the Solitract itself, and insists to Graham that Grace is not who he wants her to be, she's just a projection, a facade, "furniture with a pulse". When Grace again assures Graham that Ryan will be fine and can take care of himself, it's finally more than Graham can force himself to ignore. "You were so close" he sighs, but as much as he wishes she wan't... she's a fake.

That just leaves Dad of the Year Erik, and even now, even after watching his "wife" physically blast their daughter through a mirror into a cave full of flesh-eating bats... he still refuses to leave. The Doctor tells him he has to move on but he insists he can't, and so the Doctor does perhaps the cruelest thing possible in order to save his life: she makes his dead wife reject him. Turning to Trine, she notes that if she leaves then Trine can have Erik and they can live together forever... just her and this one little man and his 40ish years of experience living in Norway. Or she can have the Doctor. Somebody who has lived thousands of years, seen incredible things, done incredible things, experienced more than you can possibly imagine and seen the universe from every angle there is. But she can only have one.

"Trine", of course, chooses the Doctor.

The rumbling stops, the breakdown halts, and mirror Norway fades out into white nothingness. In a bonkers episode that explored concepts of grief, loneliness, and the irreconcilable, things get even more bizarre (in the best way) as the Doctor discovers herself now in a white void of nothing, talking to the Solitract... which has decided that now it wants to be a frog. Because Grace liked frogs, and now it has decided that it does too! :3:

So the little frog sits there and talks in Grace's voice, eagerly asking the Doctor to share everything, having already forgotten/dismissed Erik from its mind, uncaring on his fate or that of any of the companions, or Hanne. The Doctor of course is willing to share, and can't help but admit that she's fascinated by this experience... but she's also not one to pretend not to see what is clearly going on in front of her. Things still aren't "right", her body is reacting strangely to the energy/reality of the Solitract, moving out of synch with a reality she isn't supposed to exist in.

She tells the Solitract as much, which accuses her of lying so she escape and leave it alone again. But the Doctor isn't cruel here, and she's not being kind to exploit the situation or get what she wants, but because she's at heart a kind person. The simple truth is that their existences are irreconcilable. She knows that it wants to be part of the universe, but if it is... the universe does not exist. The same exists in reverse, the Doctor cannot spend eternity with her because the Doctor cannot exist/work in proximity to the Solitract. It cannot contain these things, even Erik would have eventually either fallen apart or started to see past his desperation to be with Trine again and start seeing that things weren't adding up, and that would have just further destablised an already untenable co-reality.

They're both at risk, the Doctor's presence may in fact be killing the Solitract too, because it works both ways, they simply cannot be together no matter how much they may want it, just like Erik and Graham can't be with their dead wives again as much as they may wish for it to be so. The Doctor admits that though she'd miss her friends she can't deny the attraction of getting to be "BFF's with a universe masquerading as a frog". But this is part of what being a friend means: they help each other face up to their problems, not avoid them. Erik tried to avoid tackling his grief, first by moving out to the countryside, then by retreating into the fantasy of a reunion with his wife. Graham was tempted, but the Doctor and Yaz both were there to tell him things he might not have wanted to hear but that he needed to hear.

The Solitract too must now come to terms with its own grief. "I miss you. I miss it all so much," it admits, a sad and lonely little frog that still remembers the joy of being part of everything, but has always known on some level why that can never be again,"I will dream of you out there without me." And with that, the Doctor blows the sentient universe frog a kiss, and it waves its little paw, and the Doctor returns to her own reality.

God I love when a show like Doctor Who lets me write a sentence like that.

Reunited in the Anti-Zone which is rapidly shrinking as the Solitract pulls away from its attempted reunion with the Universe, the Doctor and companions race for the exit. Ryan is okay, I guess those moths are just flying around trying to build up an appetite again, what happens to them with the Anti-Zone closes? And the rats? If Ribbons was still alive, would he have just died now or does the Anti-Zone just move around as needed when realities are in danger of converging?

Escaping through the mirror, they return to the Universe proper, and it's there that something FINALLY seems to get through to Erik. Sitting there hugging the daughter he cheerfully abandoned and was willing to continue to leave abandoned until forced out by the Solitract, he sees the message the Doctor left on the wall. It won't be the part about assuming he's dead that will have hit him hard. It'll be the line about figuring out who can take her in/look after her. Because we can assume there is nobody, that they only have each other... and he was abandoning her to nothing in pursuit of a dead wife who is never coming back. Shortly after this, he'll explain that he plans to return to Oslo and their friends, and that is a good thing, and something that clearly pleases Hanne. But also... I mean... gently caress this guy. He was grieving, sure, but he's a dad, and what he did to Hanne was basically just straight up abuse. The trauma he caused her is insane, and I'm actually legitimately surprised that Yaz wasn't at least considering putting in a call to Norway's version of child protective services.

Ryan gets a hug from Hanne for helping save her in the Anti-Zone though, so that's nice I guess! Even though he was actually right in his - wild jumping to - intial conclusion that Erik was a deadbeat piece of poo poo dad.

So with that the Doctor and companions leave, back in their own reality, wrapping up the end of what is arguably the best episode of Who for this season and - bad Ribbons stuff aside - up there in my opinion with a lot of the best of the revival, and an episode that in all honesty I kinda wish had just been a somewhat low key ending for the season as a whole given the "finale" to follow this one. It went to some bonkers places (love the little frog) but also had as its core a story about grief and the lies we're willing to believe in our desperation for something we can never (or no longer) have. There's one last very sweet moment before it all ends though. Ryan, spared encountering the specter of his dead grandmother, talks briefly to Graham about meeting her in there. When Graham admits it wasn't her but that he wanted it to be, Ryan comments that it must have hurt and admits that he misses her too.

Ryan posted:

But at least we've got each other, eh? Grandad.

It takes a stunned Graham a moment to register, and Ryan jokes that he must be going deaf before heading into the TARDIS. Graham takes a moment and then follows him inside. There is grief in life, the misery of partings and the cruelty of death as the eternal separation. But there is also life, love and recovery. At the start of this season, Ryan held a low level of disdain for Graham as an interloper in the life of he and Grace, an unwanted replacement for his late grandfather and in some ways a reminder of his absent father. In only 9 episodes, the show has successfully developed their relationship through their shared experiences, dangers and triumphs to a point where Ryan's gesture feels entirely earned. Grace is gone and never to return, and that is something neither will ever truly fully get over... but they have each other, and through them Grace will live forever.

Godspeed, little universe-frog :shobon:

Index of Doctor Who Write-ups for Television Episodes/Big Finish Audio Stories.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 25, 2023

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

You have recently found your wife's doppelghost and want to go visit her for a few days. But you want your twelve-year-old blind daughter to be safe while you do so. Do you:

1) Bring your daughter with you

2) Invite someone to come stay with your daughter for a few days

3) Send your daughter to stay with someone for a few days

4) Tell her you'll be away for a few days and there's food in the fridge

5) Vanish without a word

6) Tell your daughter there's a monster in the woods surrounding your house, board up the doors and windows to make it seem like you're fortifying the house against the monster, set up speakers around the house programmed to play monster sounds at regular intervals so that your daughter will be too scared to leave the house in your absence, and then vanish without a word to make it seem like the fictional monster abducted you

Option 6 isn't the choice of a grieving man handling his grief badly, it's the choice nobody but an abusive psychopath would even dream of as an option.

Why is his reunion with his daughter at the end of the episode treated as a good thing? He doesn't even choose his daughter over his fake wife; the Soletract forcibly ejects him from the mirror-world at the Doctor's insistence. He doesn't even offer an apology. Hopefully, the "it" that takes you away will be Child Protective Services, or else the next time he needs to head down the street to buy groceries he'll probably pull a Misery to keep his daughter from wandering off while he's out.

There's a lot to like in this episode, and it's a breath of fresh air after the rest of the season. But the explanation for the fake monster damages it pretty significantly. Not just because it doesn't make much sense — that wouldn't be anything out of the ordinary, this is the show that gave us "the moon is gaining mass because it's an egg" — but because of the way it warps the characters, and with them the themes and resolution of the episode.

And it's weird because it's so unnecessary? Thanks to the anti-zone, there are already actual monsters around. Have the dad wander off without a word, have an anti-zone monster be what scared the daughter, and boom, your plot still works without making the dad a complete monster. The error is completely unforced.

It would also benefit from cutting down the whole anti-zone Ribbons stuff. It's very Terry Nation to fill time by adding in a Journey Through Perilous Caves, but this isn't a classic series four- or six-parter, it's a modern one-parter that already feels pressed for time and really doesn't need bad filler. More time in the mirror world exploring the interesting parts of the story would definitely have helped.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It also appears that the first time he actually meets "Trine" is the same time he decides not to leave, so he set all that stuff up BEFORE knowing his dead wife was apparently alive on the other side of a moth-filled cave accessible through the family mirror. I was being extremely charitable in the write-up trying to assume writer intent but yeah it's absolutely hosed up and as I noted I'm legit surprised Yaz of all people didn't make a point to contact child protective services. Erik loving sucks!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Doctors Daughter is such a waste, his reaction to her was weird from the getgo and when it gets more interesting it's just over. Even weirder hand waving away his other kids.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I'm currently going through McCoy's run and seeing how the denizens of Paradise Towers referring to people being killed as being "unalived" is treated as an understandably very strange and somewhat disturbing thing when people use that exact phrase on social media today due to monetisation and censorship rules is an interesting feeling to say the least.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

TinTower posted:

Also, in the episode the Doctor even mentions his knowledge of the near future as it pertains to the franchise, so it’s not as if we can chalk it up to the ignorance of the character. At least it isn’t as bad as Jason Isaacs’ character in Star Trek singing the praises of Elon Musk, which was after the whole “pedo guy” debacle.

I feel imo that that's defensible as foreshadowing given that Jason Issacs character is explicitly from the evil mirror universe. It's right next to his eye injections, too.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

LividLiquid posted:

You're not wrong, but I don't subscribe to the "she was always a terrible author" view that's taken over the discourse about her.

I mean I always thought she was a terrible writer, even as someone who was like, the prime target of the books and the exact right age for them when the movies hit. So seeing she is catapulting her career into a bonfire because she hates my guts is utterly hilarious

Khanstant posted:

It is funny the books get so much longer, but most of my memories of them still come from events in the first few. Doesn't help the movies in the later ones got similarly blurry, kinda samey looking and lotta them dressed in street clothes never going to classes and stuff.

Buddy, pal, people got their Potter tattoos lasered off en masse.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Clipperton posted:

https://youtu.be/_GBUArD51KY

It's a long video but it is cut into sections that discretely covers:

• Rowling buddying up to nazis and funding anti trans poo poo
  • How that happened, including:
    • how other authors (like e.g. Ursula LeGuin) reacted to criticism of their works (e.g. writing in amendments in later works)
    • Why she didn't take that criticism well
    • Wider social factors, etc.
  • Why criticism of her work is aimed at the low hanging fruit
  • How being retweeted derisively by Rowling and thus targeted for harassment by the alt-right remnants of her fans has affected the video author, and how that forced her to make the video to deal with that abuse on an emotional level
  • Specifically focusing on the potter game that instigated this video
  • Including the manufacuring of discourse about the game
  • A bit by her cowriter who was also targeted by TERFs inc the very real impact this has on trans people emotionally

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Anyway sorry for quadruple posting but i only came here to see if anyone had a reaction or explanation of this that would save me from giving Google clicks:

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
That website is total trash and totally unreliable, but I suspect it’s because the BBC amended an article they put up earlier this week which said Ncuti will have a Christmas special and then Season 14 will start in Spring 2024. The revised article took out the Spring date.

No doubt the reality is that someone accidentally put it out prematurely, but you know how it is with giving anyone ammunition to celebrate the death of ‘woke Doctor Who’…

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Looked it up and found an article that is basically pure speculation that the culture section of the BBC's site either accidentally put out the (general) release date too early or they put out an incorrect (general) release date, and it got removed so either the BBC could make a bigger deal of revealing the date or because the date hasn't been set yet.

The "series delayed indefinitely" part of the headline for whatever website that is in your screenshot is I presume pure clickbait designed to panic fans or excite bigots.

Edit: What Zaroff said.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

It also appears that the first time he actually meets "Trine" is the same time he decides not to leave, so he set all that stuff up BEFORE knowing his dead wife was apparently alive on the other side of a moth-filled cave accessible through the family mirror. I was being extremely charitable in the write-up trying to assume writer intent but yeah it's absolutely hosed up and as I noted I'm legit surprised Yaz of all people didn't make a point to contact child protective services. Erik loving sucks!

I found It Takes You Away to be a real mess of an episode, myself. There's good bits but none of it hangs together, even thematically or emotionally. For example, the Doctor is friends with the other universe for all of two minutes before they have to have a serious talk about their friendship but I'm clearly supposed to care about their relationship. It feels like every idea they came up with was thrown in.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Given it's a whole-rear end universe set in limbo, I'm sure the Thirteenth Doctor Adventure audio series will have a hundred stories set within it with lots of new companions, six new Masters, a Cyberman wearing a nice hat, and a Dalek version of Doctor Mysterio

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I like the episode, and it reads differently to me now that my father is dead. My mother was married to him for 51 years, and I'd guess they spent perhaps 30 days apart across that entire span of time. And she's now both in mourning and clinically depressed (which isn't uncommon). One of the clear expressions of those things is a profound inwardness, a self-centeredness that can read as selfish.

That doesn't justify what Erik does--if I had an emergency, my mother would respond to that if able--but I'm going to bet that, especially as the father of a special needs child, he wasn't doing 50% of the work raising his daughter. Probably not anywhere close to that. And it's hard to assess if the character is depressed, partly because given his circumstances it might be overcome by the conditions of that other universe. (Plus TV is usually pretty bad at depicting mental health issues in accurate ways.) If he can't help, or feels he can't, and he's grieving, and he's depressed, then neglect is an entirely believable response. But it happens because he needs help. A mother suffering from post-partum depression needs help, she isn't a bad mother who should have her children taken away because of a medical condition.

As for the "monster" he concocts, that's more a weakness in the script--he has to be an rear end in a top hat in that way or the story doesn't work--and I don't think we get any information about him that would justify his character doing something like that in the first place. Doing something more Forbidden Planet and having the threat outside the house be a different materialization of his grief or depression would probably work better, but that's not the story we got.

But I'm a drat sight more sympathetic for Erik's failures after seeing how grief can hit a parent IRL. "It Takes You Away" indeed. They're all fictional characters, sure, but maybe Graham isn't the only one who deserves some Grace in his life. If anything, it's the ending that's unrealistic: this man needs help and possibly medical intervention. But that's not how these stories work.

Narsham fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 25, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's a really good alternative perspective to consider, yeah. Erik's actions are still undeniably hosed up, but there's a reason that the Solitract obviously saw him as a good candidate for overlooking his own instincts telling him this was wrong.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

alexandriao posted:

Anyway sorry for quadruple posting but i only came here to see if anyone had a reaction or explanation of this that would save me from giving Google clicks:

Seeing this post made my heart rate go up for a bit especially with how streamers treat shows these days. So relieved that it was just clickbait.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Confusedslight posted:

Seeing this post made my heart rate go up for a bit especially with how streamers treat shows these days. So relieved that it was just clickbait.

Yeah that's pretty much why I asked the thread instead of clicking, that being said, I really almost expect the BBC to mishandle anything Doctor Who at this point

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/RadioTimes/status/1695088900165824727?s=20

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
It's time for Charley to leave the TARDIS for the last time in Blue Forgotten Planet. The first two episodes of this are rather pointless, and nothing much really happens. The last two episodes are wonderful.

The Viyrans are fascinating characters - they're trying to make amends for some very fantastical viruses they made in the past, which have escaped to the wider universe. They're a truly neutral race: although they want to cure the viruses, they're willing to use lethal force if they think a cure is impossible, and use memory wipes to cover up their actions. Charley ends up heading off with them for her own spin-off series.

As Charley's last regular audio (aside from stories set earlier), India Fisher gives it her all here. Fisher and Baker's final conversation is perfectly delivered.

Now we just need to have that Charley/later 8 reunion to cap off her story.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jesus 1, Ultimate Evil, Jesus 2, and Ruth Evershed??

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The line about Oklahoma in Amy's Choice is extra funny now that Arthur Darvill's actually starting in a production of it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Have you all watched Good Omens, the show based on the novel by Neil Gaiman and the late Sir Terry Pratchett?

Of course, David Tennant is one of the main characters.
But other than him, season 2 has roles for Peter Davison, Derek Jacobi, Ty Tennant (David's kid and Peter's grandson), and even, yeah, Mark Gatiss.

The season is also completely full of little easter egg references, to a lot of things including Doctor Who, of course.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
My TV-watching plate is full right now with seven hour-long shows I’m getting through, and hopefully I’ve caught up by October to start ANOTHER set of shows.

Good Omens is on my back-burner, is what I’m trying to say.

e: removed verbiage to sound more smart

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I thought the first season was just okay, but the second season was, on the whole, bad. Not excruciatingly bad, but you know, kind of poor.

It absolutely wants you know about those Doctor Who connections though (and the League ones too).