Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

post your rear end OP

thats sexual harassment and i dont have to take it

i am thicc though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Share Bear posted:

i have a big goddamn rear end and hips and am easily 40+ there

thats not where you measure your waist

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i've never worn pants at my waistline , i just measured and its 34 at my belly button

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i looked it up the other day and i think the guidance is halfway between your hips and the bottom of your rib cage, which is usually at or right above the belly button.

but dang it can be annoying finding real information in the sea of seo crap

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i feel like i could game that measurement by several inches, depending on where you'd measure it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

qirex posted:

protip: if you wear a 36 in american pants [or maybe even a 34 nowadays] you probably have at least a 40 in waist, vanity sizing is a gently caress

protip: if you get your actual measurements taken by a tailor and have clothes made for you they fit real well. made to measure isnt even that expensive. well, idk maybe its really expensive in the bay area or something

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

post hole digger posted:

yeah most jeans for me that fit right in the thighs are too big in the waist. i hate pants.

fart simpson posted:

protip: if you get your actual measurements taken by a tailor and have clothes made for you they fit real well. made to measure isnt even that expensive. well, idk maybe its really expensive in the bay area or something

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

wow. the decadent and degenerate yospos wont even wear the pants of the proletariat. the millionaire bodybuilder forum never ceases to amaze

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

skimothy milkerson posted:

wow. the decadent and degenerate yospos wont even wear the pants of the proletariat. the millionaire bodybuilder forum never ceases to amaze

i bought a couple pairs of made to measure jeans for like $50 a pair. they fit better than any other jeans ive ever had and the quality is totally fine

and i got a made to measure jacket that was about $200 and it fits perfectly and looks great. highly recommended for the computer touching crowd

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

fart simpson posted:

i bought a couple pairs of made to measure jeans for like $50 a pair. they fit better than any other jeans ive ever had and the quality is totally fine

and i got a made to measure jacket that was about $200 and it fits perfectly and looks great. highly recommended for the computer touching crowd

if you need to fit into some pants I recommend you halve you calories and then halve them again

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

jacket sounds dope tho

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that doesn't exist in the united states. you can order made-to-fit stuff online but it's more expensive and the quality can, from what i gather, be a real crapshoot

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Achmed Jones posted:

that doesn't exist in the united states. you can order made-to-fit stuff online but it's more expensive and the quality can, from what i gather, be a real crapshoot

thats too bad. i was assuming there was some sort of equivalent services in america

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I measured my fat self and I'm at a 36" waist. I'm healthy enough for army work

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Share Bear posted:

according to what? this seems made up ngl

This is the british heart foundation quote:

quote:

For men, a waist circumference below 94cm (37in) is ‘low risk’, 94–102cm (37-40in) is ‘high risk’ and more than 102cm (40in) is ‘very high’. For women, below 80cm (31.5in) is low risk, 80–88cm (31.5-34.6in) is high risk and more than 88cm (34.6in) is very high. These are the guidelines for people of white European, black African, Middle Eastern and mixed origin.

For men of African Caribbean, South Asian, Chinese and Japanese origin, a waist circumference below 90cm (35.4in) is low risk, and more than that is ‘very high risk’ (there isn’t a ‘high risk’ category). For women from these groups, below 80cm (31.5in) is low risk, and anything above is very high risk.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
36.5 hell ya got room for some ice cream

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

big shtick energy posted:

This is the british heart foundation quote:

it is pretty surprising that this isn't in relation to any other measurement.

e.g. my chest is 42" without carrying perceptible fat, and while my waist could for sure stand to lose some inches it seems like there is an overall upper body dimension at play

e: though thinking about what they are saying it is probably true, not in that it is necessarily instructions that everyone should reach a certain waist measurement, rather i do accept that my rather build is in general not ideal for cardiac health (all the more reason to get to the waist inches i for sure can take off)

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Aug 3, 2023

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

e.g. my chest is 42" without carrying perceptible fat, and while my waist could for sure stand to lose some inches it seems like there is an overall upper body dimension at play

e: though thinking about what they are saying it is probably true, not in that it is necessarily instructions that everyone should reach a certain waist measurement, rather i do accept that my rather build is in general not ideal for cardiac health (all the more reason to get to the waist inches i for sure can take off)

nice boobs

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

When it comes to health stuff there's a tradeoff between predictive accuracy and simplicity, and for communicating with the general public, you really want to emphasize the simplicity.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The reason that waist measurement is useful in particular outside of its relation to other body measurements is that your waist measurement is the one that will give some indication of your visceral adipose tissue. It's very hard to measure that particular type of fat beyond getting waist measurements, because it is the fat around the organs. It is also the most damaging fat to have in excessive amounts in your body, because excessive fat around ones organs is significantly more likely to result in that person developing serious metabolic disorders.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i have 0% body fat

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

fart simpson posted:

i have 0% body fat
we can tell by your posts. (because the brain needs fat to work good)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Deadlifts are up to 375 lbs. My overhead press is stuck at 140 but I'm sure I'll get that up soon. I can do 4 good pull ups in a set, trying to get up to 5.

My weight has ballooned to 205 lbs lol. not sure if I should diet or keep eating and lifting.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

akadajet posted:

Deadlifts are up to 375 lbs. My overhead press is stuck at 140 but I'm sure I'll get that up soon. I can do 4 good pull ups in a set, trying to get up to 5.

My weight has ballooned to 205 lbs lol. not sure if I should diet or keep eating and lifting.

keep eating and lifting, youll balance out eventually

this is suboptimal advice but i think changing too much at once is always a bad idea, so only change your diet if you feel it is not providing what you need to bulking/maintenance/cutting (depending on your fitness/body image goals etc)

my pov?: i'm old and not on the market so i am more in maintenance mode where small gains are fine. i aint trying to win lifting/building comps or be more generally attractive than i already am :biglips:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

Nice!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I’d like to lose some weight but I also really enjoy seeing my lifts improve and those two things seem at odds

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

akadajet posted:

I’d like to lose some weight but I also really enjoy seeing my lifts improve and those two things seem at odds

yeah it balances out over time assuming you're eating decently healthy

youll eventually trim fat and kinda settle at a higher weight thats more muscle, and look good naked, and then you can figure out what you wanna do from there

i think pushing the lifts are better long term.

pre-covid, my set max for deads was 425 and i feel like a lot of not falling apart physically over the past 4 years was having that base. ive cut back on drinking this year (mainly cause under lockdown what else was i gonna do) and am at a respectable 215 but i (and others, not just my partner) think i look great so

these are not meant to be brags, just like youll get there the way youre going because thats how i got there

great work and keep at it!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just to be clear we're not talking about getting fatter and fatter while counting getting up from the couch as our max lift right?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

just to be clear we're not talking about getting fatter and fatter while counting getting up from the couch as our max lift right?

yes, i assume you're consistenttly doing any of the multitude of weightlifting programs out there, whichever one you like the most

(its all basically deads squats benchs and then other stuff like intervals and pacing or specific other lifts for muscle groups, programs differ based on fitness goals)

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
well my running has stagnated due to weather/smoke but also because im sick of running but im also down to 198 so whose to say if its good or bad

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I hit the gym 3x a week and spend most of the time with barbells

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
just posting to saw that cutting, sawing and splitting logs is the best exercise. Thank you, that is all.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

rotor posted:

just posting to saw that cutting, sawing and splitting logs is the best exercise. Thank you, that is all.

you should do strongman

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

akadajet posted:

you should do strongman

idk thats not usually my thing. is he cute?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

very

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
my wife told me my arms look big today :cool:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

HamAdams posted:

my wife told me my arms look big today :cool:

:hellyeah:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

did she say anything else was big?

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
no, just my arms :smith:

Adbot