Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

WalletBeef posted:

What is the reward for killing Uber Lillith?

A horse, a title, and it's one of the challenges in the final chapter of the season journey, if you're trying to knock that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I really want there to be a better color difference between rares, legendaries, and uniques. Dark yellow, orange brown, and brown loving suck

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah whoever came up with "white" as the color for the rarest items on the mini map is a big jerk

They should've made Uniques green. But they couldn't... because that's what Sets were... which MEANS!!!

Punkreas
May 13, 2013

*chews on head*
Lipstick Apathy
Don't set your expectations too high

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
TBQH I don't actually like Sets, I was just doing jokes. I believe they belong in the past and aren't good by modern game design standards. "Oh neat I got piece 6 of 6 and now (Specific Attack) does 10,000% more damage. I can do the difficulty that was scaled around me doing 10,000% more damage."

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I mean that's only one implementation of sets though, a radical one devised to save d3 from its terrible itemization issues

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
But that's what happens in D4 too, you just don't see the number. Get a unique and now your bear farts earthquakes which trigger landslides via other items in the (not set)

Same thing just less transparent.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah don't get me wrong, D4 itemization blows, I just don't want the fix to be using D3's problems instead

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Dr. Eldarion posted:

I just want the PS trophy so I can get the platinum.

I'm in this boat too.

Hulk Krogan posted:

A horse, a title, and it's one of the challenges in the final chapter of the season journey, if you're trying to knock that out.

It's also the ONLY thing I've got left for Season 1 too.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Smaller sets might work ok with the aspect system. Not sure a full 6pc would work, especially with the available slots in d4.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

The aspect system is just a more clunky kanai cube system.

I could imagine the D4 sets being a more permanent way of imprinting the aspects and upgrading them. They could double as a loadout mechanic.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
I wish they'd do the aspect system like Division 2 does. You can improve the base values by what you find.

I'd like to kill Uber Lilith for the seasonal journey thing but I don't think I'll be able to. I can never even get to phase two.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Last King posted:

i posted a brief snippet from their filings a while back but sure here you go since you can't seem to remember:

yes they basically want everyone to log in, every day, and are trying to turn diablo into another wow / cod type game service.

in case you want some examples of the inspiration they're drawing from:

For $20 you can be Snoop Dogg in CoD and I would happily pay that for D4. He even has his own voice lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBqjYixEn7k

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

Holy poo poo, check out my sweet loot for finishing the season! Hell yeah, what a rush!!

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Norse Code posted:

Holy poo poo, check out my sweet loot for finishing the season! Hell yeah, what a rush!!

Well you found the refuge

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Norse Code posted:

Look at this rear end in a top hat picking up the flawless gems before taking the screenshot to make it look worse

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Donate to the homeless lady. She'll be able able to start a new life with those stats

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Credits are rolling on the campaign, my understanding is that I have a capstone dungeon to complete in order to unlock WT3 and unlock the seasonal content. Is that all I have to do at this point? How difficult is the capstone dungeon? I have a Level 52 Rogue, should I expect to be able to solo it?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
gently caress me, this game needs a loadout save. I should have taken screen shots, because I went to try out a paragon board set for my ice sorc from Icyviens and was dying super quick nm33 at level 80, then tried to put things back the way I thought i had them and hosed up somehow because I'm dying even quicker. RIP me, back to BG3 until season2

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Klungar posted:

I have a Level 52 Rogue, should I expect to be able to solo it?

I did it with a rogue at 45, you should be fine.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Norse Code posted:

Why would you need any loot if you finished the game?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Soonmot posted:

gently caress me, this game needs a loadout save. I should have taken screen shots, because I went to try out a paragon board set for my ice sorc from Icyviens and was dying super quick nm33 at level 80, then tried to put things back the way I thought i had them and hosed up somehow because I'm dying even quicker. RIP me, back to BG3 until season2

This game needs loadout saves, at all, for any and every reason as well as just letting people respec a lot more easily. One scroll for doing seasonal stuff is paltry. Folks shouldn't feel punished by the tedium of manually refunding a full 255 paragon points across 4-6 boards because either they're bored or want to get out of a series of bad choices.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i dont really care about redoing paragon boards because i dont have the need to change my build every day, but it does make me wonder why nobody brought that up repeatedly when the system was being designed. like "hey this will make probably a lot of people annoyed a lot of times during a season" and the leads response was... "i dont care"? "no it wont"?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Verviticus posted:

i dont really care about redoing paragon boards because i dont have the need to change my build every day, but it does make me wonder why nobody brought that up repeatedly when the system was being designed. like "hey this will make probably a lot of people annoyed a lot of times during a season" and the leads response was... "i dont care"? "no it wont"?

Diablo 2 diehards always whining about having ownership of your build through difficult respecs.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Verviticus posted:

It was pretty clear during development that a lot of design decisions were being driven by a desire to make D4 as different from D3 as possible. "I can't feel attached to my character if I can just respec for free" was one of the go-to complaints from grognards

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Verviticus posted:

It's one of the most obvious UX 101 fuckups in the game, right there with "hold square to refund one skill point, press square to refund all skill points."

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Tarnop posted:

It was pretty clear during development that a lot of design decisions were being driven by a desire to make D4 as different from D3 as possible. "I can't feel attached to my character if I can just respec for free" was one of the go-to complaints from grognards

it's ironic because arpg diehards have pretty much entirely moved away from wanting big penalties to respeccing and tbf even 15 years ago that was one of the most widely panned parts of D2. maybe it shouldn't be exactly as easy as D3 (albeit idk if even that is really a problem) insofar as you want it to have just enough of a speedbump that you don't end up with a meta of people hot-swapping specs mid dungeon or w/e because holy poo poo that would be horrible to play, but virtually no one wants respecs to be some expensive, major undertaking because the entire essence of arpgs is having fun trying out a variety of different things

Mustached Demon posted:

Diablo 2 diehards always whining about having ownership of your build through difficult respecs.

maybe if you have a time machine back to 2004 or something, but d2 is pretty much the textbook example of more/easier respecs making the game far, far better

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 25, 2023

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Respecs in POE are pretty limited and onerous. If the d4 team needed a reason to think “people might be ok with this system for a while” they needn’t have looked further than that. But I do hope d4’s gets streamlined and they add a build-saving system. Build-saving is something that Nioh 2 really nailed

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

emdash posted:

Respecs in POE are pretty limited and onerous. If the d4 team needed a reason to think “people might be ok with this system for a while” they needn’t have looked further than that. But I do hope d4’s gets streamlined and they add a build-saving system. Build-saving is something that Nioh 2 really nailed

this isn't remotely true and hasn't been true for at least 5+ years, it's trivial in poe. they aren't limited and it definitely isn't onerous. the only time the cost to respec is at all significant is literally the first day of the season. any other time you can respec a character for the currency you'd make in about 10-20 minutes of farming (or if you're doing some super profitable endgame stuff, like less than 5 minutes). other than day 1 it is cheap and easy. this stuff is what I mean by 'arpg consensus has completely left the idea of expensive, annoying, prohibitive respecs behind.' that poo poo sucks and even the people who think that there should still be some kind of barrier to fully redoing a character think that it should be pretty insignificant. hell when the thread was debating this back before release the debate was between 'free unlimited respecs' and 'cheap unlimited respecs.' zero people think that bricking characters is fun or good game design. virtually no one wanted high cost/limited respecs

personally, i think that games that are all about trying out cool, fun, new characters should not be throwing up huge barriers to that

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 25, 2023

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
I found a cool hammer, and then I gave the hammer to a stranger and he gave me 600 million gold in return. I'm the rockefeller of diablio. my number is throbbing.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

this isn't remotely true and hasn't been true for at least 5+ years, it's trivial in poe. they aren't limited and it definitely isn't onerous. the only time the cost to respec is at all significant is literally the first day of the season. any other time you can respec a character for the currency you'd make in about 10-20 minutes of farming (or if you're doing some super profitable endgame stuff, like less than 5 minutes). other than day 1 it is cheap and easy. this stuff is what I mean by 'arpg consensus has completely left the idea of expensive, annoying, prohibitive respecs behind.' that poo poo sucks and even the people who think that there should still be some kind of barrier to fully redoing a character think that it should be pretty insignificant. hell when the thread was debating this back before release the debate was between 'free unlimited respecs' and 'cheap unlimited respecs.' zero people think that bricking characters is fun or good game design. virtually no one wanted high cost/limited respecs

personally, i think that games that are all about trying out cool, fun, new characters should not be throwing up huge barriers to that

You still gotta click all the nodes though, and that’s the main part of what’s annoying about D4 paragon respecs

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 25, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
eh most respeccing in poe is like 10-20 points as you shift a couple of passive wheels around or unallocate some cluster jewels. fully respeccing a character is probably 60-80 points and you're maybe doing that once a season, if even that. there's a separate very valid complaint about poe/arpgs in general requiring way, way too much clicking, but that's kind of a separate issue and the scope of that issue is several orders of magnitude more clicks than changing some skill tree points

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Man D3 respec was so much better than whatever this is. You were encouraged to play around with your builds, it was almost like a deck builder.

This feels like the exact opposite. Carve your build onto these boards, imprint your aspects onto your gear, bleh.

Oh you want to see how a different build plays? Better luck next season.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Internet Explorer posted:

It's one of the most obvious UX 101 fuckups in the game, right there with "hold square to refund one skill point, press square to refund all skill points."

This one really made me :psyduck:

The only thing saving it is that it has a confirmation screen, so it's difficult to accidentally refund any points either way.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If you are playing with controller it sometimes locks to refund all skill points in my experience.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
idk what the tipping point was but early 50s and i’m finally starting to get the ball rolling on a fun feeling chain lightning build. didn’t make any major changes to anything i don’t think, maybe it was just ilvl of gear or something. got some good running around exploding action going, hoping nmd loot is kind

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Herstory Begins Now posted:

maybe if you have a time machine back to 2004 or something, but d2 is pretty much the textbook example of more/easier respecs making the game far, far better

I know that's why it's dumb they swung so far back with D4 respecs.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ironically it's way more tedious to respec in D4 than it was in D2, since all that meant was usually just a few gear swaps and a couple minutes spent resetting skill points.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

exquisite tea posted:

Ironically it's way more tedious to respec in D4 than it was in D2, since all that meant was usually just a few gear swaps and a couple minutes spent resetting skill points.

The die-hard "Everything after base D2 went downhill and D3 absolutely ruined the franchise" people who developers have confirmed they were actually trying to tailor the game towards originally really did not like respecs either.

There was a lot of "If you want to play a Frost/Fire/Lightning Sorc, then level a Frost, a Fire, and a Lightning sorc. Respecs make your character meaningless and just a vessel for XP."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

0 or 1 respecs is the the most fun. I always enjoyed going through the D2 story with a new char and wondering if my build would get me through act 2 and 5 hell. If it doesn't and it can't deal with lightning immunes in time, oh well maybe next season. Endless rebuilding and min/maxing makes things too optimal, and everyone is doing the same thing. It is not enjoyable when everyone's build and equipment is within 1% and there is no cost to making a bad decision. At lest with D3 the build was mostly equipment based, and you just couldn't keep perfect rolls of every build. You were generally building toward one concept.