Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lol I'm so bad at AC6. Took me like 20 tries to beat the first boss. The solution I arrived at is to just get in its face and use melee on it at every opportunity (which allowed me to kill it pretty quickly). I could never figure out how to reliably avoid its missile attacks. Side boosts in the air sometimes worked, except when they didn't. And sometimes I would get hit with an attack out of loving nowhere; I'd be facing the boss and some rockets would suddenly hit me from behind. I'm guessing they curved around or something, but I never saw it fire them.

I think I'll be able to get through the missions in this (with significant effort), but there's no way that I'll be able to get high ranks.

In the following level with the artillery, I had a really tough time keeping track of where enemies were. Wish there were an actual minimap. The thing at the bottom of the screen is so small that I can barely see the red dots on it. I ended up just carefully shaking around and popping out to blast things (and sneaking behind the artillery cannons to melee them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Buck Wildman posted:

like you can upload decals you make and assign a code that you share with people to download them idk really know the details as of yet

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

sorry I'm bad at explaining

only did the prologue and two missions so far but it seems p fun no tank legs yet tho so I'm reserving full judgment

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ac6 is a day 1 crack.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

ok I read up and no, you can't actually import existing images, you've got to piece them together using the resources in-game. however, once those custom decals are made they can be uploaded and assigned a code to share to others so they can download them

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

this is tragic because I really really wanted an airbrushed wizard on my mech

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Buck Wildman posted:

this is tragic because I really really wanted an airbrushed wizard on my mech

theres a 100% chance people will figure it out. probably soon

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
BG3 has a leper's colony

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I'm impressed at how smooth the animations and movement feels, like skating around and zooming through the air is a lot of fun

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

chug-and-run was my college nickname

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

bg3 loving owns

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

bg3 loving owns

lol at the last one

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

ahahaha god drat crusade management set on "story" mode is still a huge pain in the rear end. It barely makes any difference, incredible.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

smarxist posted:

BG3 has a leper's colony

You never watched simpsons?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

these characters must be from the post 9/11 seasons

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

nope, that show is crap

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

just install the mod that makes you autowin every crusade fight

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I like the idea of a heroes of might and magic ripoff, I just don't get why they made it suck poo poo on purpose.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i like wotr but yeah the crusade fights are awful

heres how you win every single fight:

position a doomstack of archers in the corner
protect them on both sides with the dwarf guard units
use attack spells and your archers to preemptively kill all long-range units

you win

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lostconfused posted:

I like the idea of a heroes of might and magic ripoff, I just don't get why they made it suck poo poo on purpose.

speaking of Heroes of Might and Magic, has anyone played Songs of Conquest? is it good? I know it's still in EA but it's been in EA for a while now.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i need to grow 6 more fingers to play ac6 the way it wants me to

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I finished bg3. good game end is a bit of a slog. boo doesn’t have a special attack called go for the eyes 0/10

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

bedpan posted:

steam drek

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

can confirm that robot game is great

https://i.imgur.com/4SPH59N.mp4

first try baby :smuggo:

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Buck Wildman posted:

having fun with the decal maker I'll get around to the game eventually

lol cool

copy
Jul 26, 2007

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

congrats on climbing the wall

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

imo it was very nice of them to add a boss that cannot shoot up in the game where you can spend 90% of your time in the air

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
God it's so good. Gave myself a red shoulder.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
drat this game IS way harder than Armored Core 1 / Project Phantasma

i remember just zooming around on spider tank treads and using a chaingun or the cheerio plasma gun going pewpewpew and everything dying

i find i get stuck with boost mode on a lot for some reason

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Named myself CROOOOWWWW and painted that sucker gold

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
CoreChat: I tried putting the shield on my AC but I kept forgetting to use it

So in a fit of sour grapes, I'm going to assume that it only serves to engender passivity and I'm putting more missiles there

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Orb Crabmelt posted:

So in a fit of sour grapes, I'm going to assume that it only serves to engender passivity and I'm putting more missiles there
this is always the path to winning From games. the weak loses because hesitation is defeat, the strong wins by taking a single deep breath and swimming right up inside their rear end to the sigmoid and cutting everything up

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
kinda reminds me of Vanquish atm, but much better/faster. Vanquish was cool but the big draw back to the game is it's overall far too slow

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm having a lot more fun now that I'm actually using the combat boost thing a lot. When the game introduces it to you it gives you the misleading impression that it's a "traverse long distances" tool, rather than a "zoom into guys' faces and hit them with your sword" tool.

It feels really good to use. So fast!

Xaris posted:

this is always the path to winning From games. the weak loses because hesitation is defeat, the strong wins by taking a single deep breath and swimming right up inside their rear end to the sigmoid and cutting everything up

Yeah this is the only way I could find to deal with the first boss. Just zooming into its face constantly and swording it, while shooting guns/rockets whenever they came off cooldown.

I'm looking forward to getting more melee options to work with.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Yeah I was having a hard time with the first boss because I was hanging back and looking for openings, then something clicked and I got a little Sekirish with it and it worked

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Orb Crabmelt posted:

CoreChat: I tried putting the shield on my AC but I kept forgetting to use it

swapped mine for a laser. i do not have a problem remembering to use a laser, i haev discovered.

this game teaches us about ourselves

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah this is the only way I could find to deal with the first boss. Just zooming into its face constantly and swording it, while shooting guns/rockets whenever they came off cooldown.

I'm looking forward to getting more melee options to work with.
same. i did discover the boost+swording things is really good really really early on.

i'm still getting used to controls though. i think my biggest problem is kinda going 'wtf do i do now' when my boost isn't working or using it too soon and falling off. feels like i'm a sitting duck just getting creamed when i'm no longer boosting. i'm also maybe not using ground boost as much as I should?

it's very funny though that the game starts you off with(out) a tutorial that's much harder than the combat training and first several sorties lol :darksouls:

Xaris has issued a correction as of 06:53 on Aug 25, 2023

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I really appreciate that the first mission in AC6 has you blowing up the local guerilla group's artillery in order to protect one corp's survey group...and then the second mission has you attacking that corp's survey group on behalf of a different corp. Perfect vibes, no notes.

EDIT: Also one of the first guns you can buy is just a mecha-sized Glock.

1stGear has issued a correction as of 07:04 on Aug 25, 2023

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Ytlaya posted:

lol I'm so bad at AC6. Took me like 20 tries to beat the first boss. The solution I arrived at is to just get in its face and use melee on it at every opportunity (which allowed me to kill it pretty quickly). I could never figure out how to reliably avoid its missile attacks. Side boosts in the air sometimes worked, except when they didn't. And sometimes I would get hit with an attack out of loving nowhere; I'd be facing the boss and some rockets would suddenly hit me from behind. I'm guessing they curved around or something, but I never saw it fire them.

I think I'll be able to get through the missions in this (with significant effort), but there's no way that I'll be able to get high ranks.

In the following level with the artillery, I had a really tough time keeping track of where enemies were. Wish there were an actual minimap. The thing at the bottom of the screen is so small that I can barely see the red dots on it. I ended up just carefully shaking around and popping out to blast things (and sneaking behind the artillery cannons to melee them).

you’re supposed to use melee on the first boss n00b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I'm pretty good at teh dark souls' (not really I just played enough to memorize every fight and thus tell myself I'm skilled) but yeah the attack chopter kicked my rear end a few times. I eventually realized your melee sword could do multiple attack combos, and that was a game changer. I thought you only got one swing and then it's on cooldown for many seconds. Nope, you can slice at least twice and that has made all the difference.

e: really frustrating to be put inside a box though, the AC12 can fly outside and pummel you with missiles while you're gated inside a PS1 style boundary that prevents you from getting close enough to melee it. first AC game. classic nostalgic game design, love it.

palindrome has issued a correction as of 07:46 on Aug 25, 2023