Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

fart simpson posted:

i thought you were canadian

we've disavowed him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

folks grilling some takes itt

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
I think other countries have mastered bbq but usually in a limited way and not expansive enough for the cuisine level. maybe

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fart simpson posted:

i thought you were canadian

i'm a lot of things

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
My favorite part about cooking is all the nomenclature discussion.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

tk posted:

My favorite part about cooking is all the nomenclature discussion.

in china there’s 4 words for potato and 4 words for basil and you can’t use them interchangeably

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well no poo poo. you can't exactly substitute potatoes for basil

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

afraid no one around you understands your potato

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

well no poo poo. you can't exactly substitute potatoes for basil

i can think of one situation where you could

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

idk about cooking taking too much time but the older I get the more it feels like the only way to actually feel free and not in a rush is not to be productive to have more free time, but to take all your loving time doing the basic things you absolutely have to do

like take a good while to cook, take longer to eat, walk to go places, and get very little done.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

mystes posted:

Saying that everyone simply needs to put a lot of time/effort into becoming very skilled at cooking so that they can be able to whip up tasty food in 20 minutes even when they're busy is really not that fundamentally different from saying that people who are poor just need to learn to be computer touchers so they can make figgies

the trouble is that you gotta be pretty fairly rich to not cook, in the grand scheme of things. that costs more money

even in asian megapolises, the most eat-out-or-use-the-microwaveist places in the world, you'll still save money cooking

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

then again I spent my 20s working and writing and doing oss for free and trying to be healthy and have a social life in the gaps and just burning myself so now I go “ima take 20 mins to bike to the appointment which is slower but now I no longer have to schedule exercise” and I’ll spend 15 minutes looking at how slightly bigger the veggies are in the garden today

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I just take my family to the local cafeteria, where meals are prepared on a mass scale, available to all who need them, and paid for by taxes.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fart simpson posted:

in china there’s 4 words for potato and 4 words for basil and you can’t use them interchangeably

communism :argh:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

MononcQc posted:

idk about cooking taking too much time but the older I get the more it feels like the only way to actually feel free and not in a rush is not to be productive to have more free time, but to take all your loving time doing the basic things you absolutely have to do

like take a good while to cook, take longer to eat, walk to go places, and get very little done.

:hmmyes:

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Buck Turgidson posted:

I just take my family to the local cafeteria, where meals are prepared on a mass scale, available to all who need them, and paid for by taxes.

4 different cafeterias and you can’t use them interchangeably

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Just kidding, I bodge together something edible out of whatever I've got and hope for the best. Once you know a couple of cooking techniques or styles for various meal components (eg veg, protein etc) you can usually cobble something together. Add rice and BAM, another 24 hours without starving to death.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the trouble is that you gotta be pretty fairly rich to not cook, in the grand scheme of things. that costs more money

even in asian megapolises, the most eat-out-or-use-the-microwaveist places in the world, you'll still save money cooking

idk, you dont need to be rich to eat out 100% of the time here. you wont save that much money cooking basic stuff like noodles or simple dishes compared to a 快餐 kinda place

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah its marginal in a truly vast city but its something

and that omnipresence of cooking skill that drives down the wages and allows that exploitation is ironically getting eaten so it's prolly not a permanent state of affairs

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Properly funded and run cafeterias would be sick though, especially if you supplemented it with communal cooking facilities and barbeques. A man can dream...

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mystes posted:

I have no idea whether that actually works in whatever map projection or not

mercator is the one where the angles are always right and the distances get wonky

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
anyway the big upside to living with other people (besides splitting rent) is that you can get a great home-cooked dinner every day while only needing to cook twice a week, it's v. convenient

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Buck Turgidson posted:

Properly funded and run cafeterias would be sick though, especially if you supplemented it with communal cooking facilities and barbeques. A man can dream...

the real cheap places here are commercial cafeterias. you often pay by weight and it it will come out to about $3 a meal in my experience. the quality of the food is fine

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
back in the 2000s the chinatown centre mall here had a bunch of vendors in the basement food court and a few of them would do "3 items for $3", which was generally fried or steamed rice, steamed veg, and a few different options for pork or chicken, heaped into a large takeout container.

they were not clean, but the food was good, and it was very affordable at the time.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

fart simpson posted:

In the US I feel like I need to pre-negotiate a treaty and agree on terms with every establishment to get what I really want.

You can not call a loosely formed hamburger with American cheese on a hotdog bun a cheesesteak. We need more enforcement on this matter.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
hotdog bun is odd, but yeah that sounds like a cheeseburger sub or as some wierdos call it a "chopped cheese"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
chopped cheese is pretty good. its also not a cheesesteak tho.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
cooking is how I clear my mind of the stupid computer bullshit I have to do to pay the bills, I love it. cooking for one is misery though

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah it is

thats why i've leaned towards the meal prep poo poo. you get to do a big cookup for four to six people, but it's just you spread out over a week after you pack up the bentos

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if you need some really nice containers that will last many meals and are strong i recommend these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DJZP18K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

they are pinku (sorta) and have two kotoba

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Jonny 290 posted:

if you need some really nice containers that will last many meals and are strong i recommend these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DJZP18K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

they are pinku (sorta) and have two kotoba

useful, but hardly kawaii

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
we call grilling a barbie and heck it’s great poo poo

heaven would be drinking a beer while grilling some lamb chops and then eating them and then immediately you’re hungry again, your beer refills, and you’ve got more lamb chops to grill

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Shame Boy posted:

posting for appreciation

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

still looking for that real tomato. :smith:

edit: rotor gets it too!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

It’s time for some game theory

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2023/08/musk-thiel-zuckerberg-andreessen-alternate-autocratic-reality

quote:

These four projects—the Metaverse, crypto, interplanetary colonization, and transhumanism, not to mention AI—are an existential risk to the world in political, economic, and, perhaps most fundamentally, moral terms. The moral danger comes from the fact that all four projects embody the first steps toward a realized transhumanism.

it starts off good with “the reactionary techno shitheads are trying to ensure they stay on top for all eternity with the government’s money spigot” and quickly veers off into “the metaverse is going to destroy humanity and Peter Thiel is going to have a robot body with the strength of 10 gorillas any day now”

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

quote:

It is a movement that would undo the idea at the heart of political liberalism: equal rights for all. Instead, one’s wealth would determine one’s future prospects.

wow, how terrible it would be if that were the case

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Luigi Thirty posted:

it starts off good with “the reactionary techno shitheads are trying to ensure they stay on top for all eternity with the government’s money spigot” and quickly veers off into “the metaverse is going to destroy humanity and Peter Thiel is going to have a robot body with the strength of 10 gorillas any day now”

i mean, por que no los dos, really

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

idk, it takes like, 20 minutes to make a decent meal for a family of 4, and you have leftovers for lunch the next day

this is like a tradcath version of denying reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
anyway cooking sucks so every now and then i just make a huge vat of stew and eat it daily for the next two weeks