Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Tippis posted:

Day [LARGENUM] of suggesting that they need to bring back the outliner and four-tier message filter from CK2.

Signed, but make it 5-tier and make the 5th tier "game cannot be unpaused and must be manually unpaused after clearing", which was how events worked in EU2.

It's been over a decade and I stick gently caress myself regularly when an event pops up and I reflexively hit pause, which unpauses the game. Which sometimes causes a second event a split second before I realise my error and hit pause again, which means I immediately unpause the game again. I also like keeping the game on speed 5 but sometimes I want the game to stay paused after clearing an event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

SlothBear posted:

Hotfix has come out that says it fixed the crashing issue.

It fixed the crashing in my pre-patch game, worked perfectly fine for 25 years now.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Reveilled posted:

Signed, but make it 5-tier and make the 5th tier "game cannot be unpaused and must be manually unpaused after clearing", which was how events worked in EU2.

It's been over a decade and I stick gently caress myself regularly when an event pops up and I reflexively hit pause, which unpauses the game. Which sometimes causes a second event a split second before I realise my error and hit pause again, which means I immediately unpause the game again. I also like keeping the game on speed 5 but sometimes I want the game to stay paused after clearing an event.

Hell, same. Letting you delay events for a few months is nice and lets them keep the system the same for SP and MP, but an option to force-pause in SP would be nice.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Reveilled posted:

i do this so much i've gotten to the point where i reflexively press 1 before space.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Burning Man looking rear end pope

"Burning Man" :smug:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

TjyvTompa posted:

Burning Man looking rear end pope

"Burning Man" :smug:

His glasses make him look super worried. Appropriately so.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Since the update, I had my first succession. My heir was landed when I took over. I had 13 lifestyle points waiting for me. Is this a new thing? Do you not inherit an heir who goes down stupid paths?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Trevor Hale posted:

Since the update, I had my first succession. My heir was landed when I took over. I had 13 lifestyle points waiting for me. Is this a new thing? Do you not inherit an heir who goes down stupid paths?

The AI doesn’t spend perk points outside of their education. Travelling gives a ton of free exp/perks. So they probably had a bunch from travelling

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

scaterry posted:

The AI doesn’t spend perk points outside of their education. Travelling gives a ton of free exp/perks. So they probably had a bunch from travelling

Doppppppe, that's awesome

On an unrelated topic, I have been really trying to focus on making my acclaimed knights better and diving into that system. The UI for it kind of sucks and the random "this knight is now less acclaimed" and having no way to view what happened to the old knight was bugging me.

So I have gotten into the habit of handing my acclaimed knights a barony and then pinning them as characters to watch. That way when they die, I get a notice. If I get an alert that my acclaimed knight has a successor, then I glance at my pinned characters and see what's up. In RP mode, I'll revoke the barony from their kid if they've died, invite the widow to court and educate the child, and then give that barony back to the new knight.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
is there a UI mod that makes this more easily playable on a mobile device? obviously text size is the main issue, but also being able to resize or move around windows and event popups

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I finally did a university visit, and oh man that’s pretty sweet. Three learning perks, and I was boosted to a level past Mastermind Philosopher. It was level 5, which gave me +10 learning, +3 intrigue, 50% to learning perks and 25% to intrigue perks. It’s expensive, but man that’s worth it.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

With how piss easy it is to make gold now I'm wondering how they're going to make merchant republics interesting or desirable to play as. Back in CK2 playing as an MR could make you obscenely wealthy, to the point of being able to afford hiring all the mercenary companies on a permanent basis.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
gently caress the tower of london. Let me build my own, better monuments, in the place that I want and not in the same five places I always feel compelled to start because of the special holdings

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
New patch is out.

The new DLC is pretty lackluster. The University thing is really good but super expensive. Wardens thing seems broken, maybe it only works if your characters is a child? As a ward I only get the same events as always. There is the possibility to influence your ward to make it pick up traits you have but its on a timer and you don't get a notification when you can so you need to keep track of it yourself.
Hostages are just super annoying, spamming you with massive amounts of notifications constantly. Why would I ever want some insane AI to hold one of my family members. They will come back as tortured husks.

Also, if you are sterile and your wife gets pregnant your character should probably go like "hey wait a minute" instead of going "wohoo I'm going to become a father". Maybe they can fix that in a DLC.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The Spit-take DLC.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Sterile doesn't make it impossible to have a kid, just low odds, and I think it can be offset by a lot of other things I believe. On the opposite side, I think they changed the Fecund trait. Before I thought it was just a boost to fertility, but now it adds 5 years for women's fertile ages. I didn't realize that and was really surprised when my wife had a kid at 48.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

Hostages are just super annoying, spamming you with massive amounts of notifications constantly.

Yeah I feel like at launch one of the big strengths of CK3 esp over other paradox games was how smooth and helpful the UI was and that's slowly been chipped away at. I often just ignore the notifications now since it's so rare that any of them actually matter. I'd love to see this get some attention, in addition to being able to set activity notifications for things like 'don't show this unless I can actually afford it.'

And stop giving random hooks on me to everyone I visit on a tour or walk past at a wedding. Really just makes me want to not do those things.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Accolades I think are cool. All the new activities I think are cool, but as others have noticed, they are just kind of annoying to interact with.

EDIT: The closest thing to perfect that they've released since launch are struggle mechanics. Those rule.

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 31, 2023

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Accolades are wonderful in concept and fun when you have a character who is about to wage a lot of war and cares a lot about them but I find the successor mechanic really annoying. I wish it was more like when the current holder dies you get a popup for choosing the successor rather than constantly having to micromanage notifications about it. I typically just ignore them until I'm starting a character who I know is going to fight a lot and then I go in and see how little they resemble what the role was supposed to do when I first created it. Also its annoying that you can't search for a worthy successor if you have one in your court even if their prowess is so low they'll never actually fight.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

SlothBear posted:

Accolades are wonderful in concept and fun when you have a character who is about to wage a lot of war and cares a lot about them but I find the successor mechanic really annoying. I wish it was more like when the current holder dies you get a popup for choosing the successor rather than constantly having to micromanage notifications about it. I typically just ignore them until I'm starting a character who I know is going to fight a lot and then I go in and see how little they resemble what the role was supposed to do when I first created it. Also its annoying that you can't search for a worthy successor if you have one in your court even if their prowess is so low they'll never actually fight.

On the flip side it’s pretty easy to arrange marriages to bring people in with those traits. I’ve been purposely micromanaging my accolades to get a handle on this mechanic. My big problem at Empire level is that all my landed vassals have like 40+ prowess so I gotta go through and force my unlanded vassals to be knights but even that is giving me a nice glimpse into my court

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Just ran into an annoying bug where a defunct grand wedding is stopping me from arranging a new one on a different character. I had promised a grand wedding but hadn’t actually arranged it yet and then died traveling back from a hunt. I had 18 months left on the timer at the time. So then my younger brother inherits but I’m unable to do a grand wedding because the tooltip says I can only have one active at a time. I wait a few years to see if I just need to run out the clock on the last one, but that doesn’t work either. When I try to open it from the activity screen it takes me to the event planning with my dead brother as the groom and a blank space for the bride. I’m considering just throwing this run since I’m still pretty early in, but it kind of sucks since it was going good up until now.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

wizardofloneliness posted:

Just ran into an annoying bug where a defunct grand wedding is stopping me from arranging a new one on a different character. I had promised a grand wedding but hadn’t actually arranged it yet and then died traveling back from a hunt. I had 18 months left on the timer at the time. So then my younger brother inherits but I’m unable to do a grand wedding because the tooltip says I can only have one active at a time. I wait a few years to see if I just need to run out the clock on the last one, but that doesn’t work either. When I try to open it from the activity screen it takes me to the event planning with my dead brother as the groom and a blank space for the bride. I’m considering just throwing this run since I’m still pretty early in, but it kind of sucks since it was going good up until now.

I also got that exact same bug. You also can't do tournaments or any other activity since you are already in an activity.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I've tried to search this online to no avail.

Can I bring a personal champion or acclaimed knights to someone else's tournament? Do I have to force them somehow?

My current character went to one that was only two counties away but no one came with her, even though i have both of the above plus a caravan master who is a knight.

My character is infirm if that changes anything (don't see why it should)

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

You should be able to, I know I have without doing anything special. Maybe being infirm means nobody fights for your character either? I'm not sure.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

TjyvTompa posted:

I also got that exact same bug. You also can't do tournaments or any other activity since you are already in an activity.

I was still able to do feasts and stuff, it only seemed to affect grand weddings. I guess since my character wasn't actually in an activity when he died, he had just promised one. I ended up just going into my save file and deleting the "promised grand wedding" flag that was still attached to my current character and it seems to work fine now. They released another update yesterday with bug fixes but this was not one of them from what I saw.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Thanks for the help above. I have another, more complex question.

I'm an African tribal government. Male confederate partition only.
I have an empire title, 4 kingdom titles, 2 duchies, and 4 counties.
I also have 4 kingdom-tier vassals.

Kingdom 1 has my capital with Duchy 1 and 3 counties
Kingdom 2 has my capital with Duchy 2 and 1 county (ducal capital)
No other holdings

I have 3 sons

First son is to inherit Empire, Kingdom 1, and Duchy 1 and all counties within
Second son is to inherit Kingdom 2 and Duchy 2 with its county. They are also going to inherit one other kingdom
Third son is to inherit one kingdom only

Why is the second son getting two kingdoms? In my head this almost puts him in a better position than my heir because he will be getting so much vassal tax.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
First, empire titles are distributed. You only have one, so the eldest gets it. Then kingdoms are distributed, with the eldest being skipped in the first round since he has one (1) empire title. (So after kingdoms are given out, everyone should have the same amount of empires+kingdoms or be missing one.) Then IIRC repeat for duchies and so on. The full algorithm should be on the wiki.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Staltran posted:

First, empire titles are distributed. You only have one, so the eldest gets it. Then kingdoms are distributed, with the eldest being skipped in the first round since he has one (1) empire title. (So after kingdoms are given out, everyone should have the same amount of empires+kingdoms or be missing one.) Then IIRC repeat for duchies and so on. The full algorithm should be on the wiki.

If i revoke 2 kingdoms from my vassals (giving me 6 total), would each child get two kingdoms, and the first child the empire?

Also, is https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/ the best wiki to use?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

It is. It's also maintained by people paid by Paradox itself, so it's quite trustworthy and generally up to date. Just don't expect everything to be accurate the first two to three weeks after a new DLC is released.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

If i revoke 2 kingdoms from my vassals (giving me 6 total), would each child get two kingdoms, and the first child the empire?

Yes. Details here, under Realm succession. Since there will be a total of 7 empire and kingdom titles, with three heirs the eldest will get three (the empire and two kingdoms, one of which will contain the capital de jure, unless you don't hold that kingdom), and the other two will get two kingdoms each.

Make sure to keep it in your pants (or with people you can't get pregnant), though, a fourth son would mean the eldest would only get one kingdom with seven empire+kingdom titles.

Not sure what they mean by "in order" though. I guess the order they're listed on your character screen? Not sure what determines that, order of acquisition maybe? Probably not worth trying to game who gets which kingdom.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Staltran posted:

Yes. Details here, under Realm succession. Since there will be a total of 7 empire and kingdom titles, with three heirs the eldest will get three (the empire and two kingdoms, one of which will contain the capital de jure, unless you don't hold that kingdom), and the other two will get two kingdoms each.

Make sure to keep it in your pants (or with people you can't get pregnant), though, a fourth son would mean the eldest would only get one kingdom with seven empire+kingdom titles.

Not sure what they mean by "in order" though. I guess the order they're listed on your character screen? Not sure what determines that, order of acquisition maybe? Probably not worth trying to game who gets which kingdom.

I think they mean order that you obtained them?

I actually went a bit rogue. Reformed the faith and one of the changes was gender equality so now everything will be split across my horde of children and grandchildren haha.

Can't believe this character has lasted this long. Infirm at 20 and now approaching 65. He’s solidified and expanded the empire which now spans all of sub-Saharan Africa, reformed the faith, and could possibly adopt feudalism if he holds out just 12 more years.

Doubt he’ll last that long, but his physician just cured his 40-year long melancholy, so he is healthier than ever.

My kids are all shite so I did want to instigate heir-selection, but apparently that is off the table when you are tribal.

My (now female) heir is a lustful and adulterous sadist who has 8 kills that we know about. This is very different to her forgiving and temperate father. Unfortunately, 4 of her 9 kids are also sadists.

I love this game.

Pooperscooper
Jul 22, 2007
How long would one take to learn how to play this game who has no experience with these type of grand strategy / 4X games?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Pooperscooper posted:

How long would one take to learn how to play this game who has no experience with these type of grand strategy / 4X games?

About 3 hours to learn the mechanics. About 5 hours to have it sink in that there’s no story or anything and you can do what you want. And then like 400 hours to figure out what it is you want to do

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Pooperscooper posted:

It's really not bad. Choose someone who isn't in too precarious a position and just click stuff as it's presented to you until you start wanting to accomplish things. Marry off your awful idiot children.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

Contrary to what Staltran said, I think the answer is actually no. Your primary heir would get the Empire title and 1 Kingdom, the next in line would get 3 kingdoms, and the third would get 2.

To have your primary get 2 Kingdom titles plus the Empire you'd need 8 kingdoms I think. The higher level title is worth two next level ones essentially.

But that's def the right wiki.

Pooperscooper posted:

To what degree of competence? The game is very easy to try and pick up because the UI is solid, and you can mouse-over drat near everything. But to early understand all the systems is dozens or hundreds of hours, though figuring that all out is the fun part.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 6, 2023

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

The learning curve is like a continental shelf. You'll feel like you are totally confused for a few playthroughs and then suddenly you'll realize you understand everything and the world is your plaything. I say this as someone who never really played a paradox game before this one and just went in blind and derped around.

As long as you're not worried about saying 'whoops I screwed this up' and either understanding why or playing it out to see if you can drag yourself out of it you'll be fine.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Pooperscooper posted:

I had never played a CK game or any grand strategy game before, unless all the various Civ games somehow count. The tutorial was good and got me through the basic mechanics. I’d say I was doing pretty well after 10 hours or so, but it took me a really long time before I’d consider myself good at this game. The nice thing is that doing pretty well is still a lot of fun.

You’ll make a ton of mistakes, but most of them won’t be crippling, and you’ll get better and better after each one.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah the good news is it’s arguably more fun to be rather mid at this game, or play mechanically sub optimally if not. I think it’s about as easy to get into as you can expect from a game like this. Just come ask lots of questions here when you get frustrated, plenty of people around to help.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Yeah, I have fun just looking at what my character is like and roleplaying it super hard even if it's stupid. Sorry bud you're useful alive but my guy is arbitrary and vengeful so gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Anno posted:

Yeah the good news is it’s arguably more fun to be rather mid at this game, or play mechanically sub optimally if not.

This is very true.