Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

ethanol posted:

They’re just posturing behind contrarian trump. They absolutely love war economy despite lying through the poo poo eating grins about this one conflict that has the idiotic hunter Biden narrative

Right wing isolationism has always been pro-facism with a mask on, the history of every anti-communist military intervention is the proof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
“Isolationism” is to international fascism what “states rights” was to US slavery.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

It boggles my mind that we’re one generation away from Reagan calling the USSR an “Evil Empire” and now the GOP is saying it’s actually none of our business when Russia invades its neighbors.

The GOP love to idolize Reagan but his name seems to have been absent from any GOP discussion in Ukraine. I wonder what would happen if someone started an ad campaign targeting Trump supporters with quotes from Reagan’s Cold War speeches.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The same thing that would happen if people used Jimmy Carter or Clinton quotes. No one would care.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If Trump supporters were rational people, they wouldn't be Trump supporters. Nothing would happen

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Nitrox posted:

If Trump supporters were rational people, they wouldn't be Trump supporters. Nothing would happen

You can't use reason to convince anyone out of a position that they didn't use reason to get into.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Finland has arrested a 36 years old man under suspicion of terrorist crimes in Luhansk and Donetsk. The crimes, namely participation in a terrorist group and other support of a terrorist group's actions, were filed in April 2017. He has a temporary address in Russia. Ukraine has requested extradition

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nenonen posted:

Finland has arrested a 36 years old man under suspicion of terrorist crimes in Luhansk and Donetsk. The crimes, namely participation in a terrorist group and other support of a terrorist group's actions, were filed in April 2017. He has a temporary address in Russia. Ukraine has requested extradition

So this genius decided to take a little vacation in Finland or what?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

spankmeister posted:

Police doesn't say more about the case at this point. There will be an arrest trial before the extradition request can be handled, maybe we'll hear details then. It really is boggling also because it's not easy to come here anymore as new tourist visas haven't been issued and old ones were also cancelled. So either he came via Norway which still lets Russians in, or had other reason for travel like business (unlikely) or came to seek asylum. The latter would definitely be :ironicat: but not the first time that a wanted war criminal comes here looking for safety.

Paranoea
Aug 4, 2009

spankmeister posted:

The reporting implies that he was probably a frequent visitor (registered in the Finnish population registry with a temporary address in St. Petersburg). So, might have had a permanent visa or somesuch, seeing as we've stopped granting new tourist visas.

e: f;b, but I'm pretty sure permanent visas have not been cancelled, so this person could've been permitted to cross the border on a regular basis, and only recently the police decided to pick him up. All speculation, of course.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

There is no permanent visa, you probably mean residence permit. That would indeed allow it. Dual citizenship would also be a possibility, but reporting doesn't mention citizenship of Finland.

Update says that the crimes were committed between June 2014 and August 2015 and he was born in Leningrad in 1987. If that helps narrowing down any...

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
What GOP (and politicians in general across the world, on both divides) says they want and what they do behind closed doors are often very different.

I remember reading one newly-minted senator's remarks about it, he said he personally saw a lot of GOP members act all angry & sputtery in front of the cameras then be all chummy & nice with their Democrat counterparts once the cameras were off. A lot of the time they don't really mean what they say; it's just for votes and domestic consumption.

I don't think we need to worry about USA abandoning their support for Ukraine even if Trump should be the president again, there are too many defensive industries in deep red states.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Police doesn't say more about the case at this point. There will be an arrest trial before the extradition request can be handled, maybe we'll hear details then. It really is boggling also because it's not easy to come here anymore as new tourist visas haven't been issued and old ones were also cancelled. So either he came via Norway which still lets Russians in, or had other reason for travel like business (unlikely) or came to seek asylum. The latter would definitely be :ironicat: but not the first time that a wanted war criminal comes here looking for safety.

Is it about this guy? Great catch then and wise choice of that nazi to not take chances with Russian circular firing squads

https://twitter.com/ColborneMichael/status/1694984282668957949

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Please stop the USpol posts that are only tangentially relevant to Ukraine. There are plenty of other threads for that.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

Is it about this guy? Great catch then and wise choice of that nazi to not take chances with Russian circular firing squads

https://twitter.com/ColborneMichael/status/1694984282668957949

Yes, and apparently he'd been exiled from Norway which rules out the 'came via fjords' loophole. Is this really a direct consequence of Prigozhin's death or just a coincidence? I can't imagine him being so stupid unless he was really desperate to leave country...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Frankly, arrested in Finland is probably better than free in Russia.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Frankly, arrested in Finland is probably better than free in Russia.

Though once you are handed to Ukraine as a Russian nazi terrorist... still better than defenestration, but not optimal. For him. Otherwise this week has been full of little positive news like this. :unsmith:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Yes, and apparently he'd been exiled from Norway which rules out the 'came via fjords' loophole. Is this really a direct consequence of Prigozhin's death or just a coincidence? I can't imagine him being so stupid unless he was really desperate to leave country...

Rusich on TG say that he was arrested a month ago, so fits with the timeline of Russian MOD cleaning house of Wagner - affiliates and other voluntary units that enjoyed sorta independent banditry existence reasonably have been afraid of long knives coming for them.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

Rusich on TG say that he was arrested a month ago, so fits with the timeline of Russian MOD cleaning house of Wagner - affiliates and other voluntary units that enjoyed sorta independent banditry existence reasonably have been afraid of long knives coming for them.

Wonder what's the puppy murderer's whereabouts...

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

daslog posted:

Here is what I read in that article.

• The Ukrainians are spread too thin for a southern push and are still not combining the use of artillery, mechanized units and mine-clearing efforts.
  • The US trained the Ukrainians to use American tactics, which was dumb because said tactics require air power the Ukraine doesn't have
  • Time is running out for this offensive, and even if the US wants to reequip them for another offensive the equipment doesn't exist to make that happen
  • Officially the US is saying it's not a stalemate. Unofficially, not everyone agrees.
  • There is still hope, but time is running out.

Why is time running out? Ukraine can fly drones around while dropping grenades and directing artillery indefinitely.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

SaTaMaS posted:

Why is time running out? Ukraine can fly drones around while dropping grenades and directing artillery indefinitely.

Because the amount of artillery required to sustain offensive operations is finite.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

Because the amount of artillery required to sustain offensive operations is finite.

True but basic artillery shells are one of the cheapest things for the US to manufacture.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

SaTaMaS posted:

True but basic artillery shells are one of the cheapest things for the US to manufacture.

I think the issue is more manufacturing capacity than cost.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
Have we talked about how the pilots and flight crew of hot dog man's private jet were basically sent on a suicide mission over Moscow? They were unwitting drivers over the air bridge between st Petersburg and Moscow and this certainly constitutes a war crime. I think we should debate the intricacies of using civilians in these types of operations for the next few pages. Furthermore...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

SaTaMaS posted:

Just my opinion, but the whole article reeks of rear end covering from the US military and Biden Administration because they are afraid of the perception of a stalemate. The US should have committed those F16s from the start instead of the incrementalist approach of providing arms.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I don’t know why people think the us has so much control over the minute decisions about maneuvering in ukraine. We’re giving them weapons sure. All the journalism about chess maneuvering us generals making tactical decisions seems unsubstantiated rumor milling that only serves to remove the agency of ukraine. Like those conversations are going to be highly opsec’d anyways so it’s hard for me to understand why people think theyre inside the minds of the commanders.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
Fortunately perceptions of a stalemate are extremely premature.

Edit: One thing that has become clearer than ever before is you should never believe any story in the media that is sourced to "unnamed sources". They are almost always spouting views that don't necessarily correspond to reality, being pushed for specific political reasons and represent the absolute worst of client journalism. If no one is willing to go on record then it's probably bullshit.

This is true for all the "US official says Ukraine is stalemated" or "Official says US pushing for Ukraine to give up territory" stories, as well as all the stories of "Unnamed official says Russia is about to collapse". Without evidence, it's just someone feeding whatever poo poo they want to to journalists and doesn't represent reality in any way.

DJ Burette fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 25, 2023

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

I dont know posted:

I think the issue is more manufacturing capacity than cost.

Thankfully there are countries like Bulgaria and Slovakia to step up the manufacturing on timescales US is apparently incapable of. (How we ended up with utterly inadequate supply of something that may be critical for national security and isn't that expensive in the grand scheme of things is an uncomfortable question).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

SaTaMaS posted:

Offensive operations will start become difficult around October once the mud season starts as movements. Then you have to wait for the ground to freeze. It's not the end of everything, but the more ground Ukraine gains before that, the better positions they have to continue from when the ground freezes.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

A Wagnerite cemetery has been "erased". All the graves dug up, memorials removed, and levelled.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1695044436038693017?s=20

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

...did they open an illegal unzoned cemetery or how does that happen?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

A Wagnerite cemetery has been "erased". All the graves dug up, memorials removed, and levelled.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1695044436038693017?s=20

Y'all doubted denazification smdh

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DJ Burette posted:

Fortunately perceptions of a stalemate are extremely premature.

Edit: One thing that has become clearer than ever before is you should never believe any story in the media that is sourced to "unnamed sources". They are almost always spouting views that don't necessarily correspond to reality, being pushed for specific political reasons and represent the absolute worst of client journalism. If no one is willing to go on record then it's probably bullshit.

This is true for all the "US official says Ukraine is stalemated" or "Official says US pushing for Ukraine to give up territory" stories, as well as all the stories of "Unnamed official says Russia is about to collapse". Without evidence, it's just someone feeding whatever poo poo they want to to journalists and doesn't represent reality in any way.

It feels like journalistic standards have gotten really sloppy when it comes to citing "former officials", too, even when they name them by name. It's a cheap and lazy way of punching up someone's creds when they don't have the bona fides to speak for themselves.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Nenonen posted:

...did they open an illegal unzoned cemetery or how does that happen?
Looks like it was part of a larger cemetery maybe?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
According to Die Zeit Ukraine-Liveblog, mercenaries in Russia will now have to swear an oath of allegiance to the Russian state as per a personal decree of Putin.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Libluini posted:

According to Die Zeit Ukraine-Liveblog, mercenaries in Russia will now have to swear an oath of allegiance to the Russian state as per a personal decree of Putin.

Foolproof, no mercenary would ever break an oath

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

Nenonen posted:

Offensive operations will start become difficult around October once the mud season starts as movements. Then you have to wait for the ground to freeze. It's not the end of everything, but the more ground Ukraine gains before that, the better positions they have to continue from when the ground freezes.

I know this is true further north, but not so much in the warmer/drier south of the country. Does the area around Tokmak get hit hard by mud season?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Are there any signs of Russian planning another offensive or are they just turning the territory they hold into a giant minefield?

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

Nenonen posted:

They'll probably start to run low on ammunition before then anyway. My guess is things start to slow down in the next few weeks and we see the fall spent slowly chipping away at minefields and defenses even before the mud sets in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

daslog posted:

Are there any signs of Russian planning another offensive or are they just turning the territory they hold into a giant minefield?

There were large concentrations of modern material and men near Kreminna, and constant counter-attacks. But when the advance slowed down and stopped, reporting on it stopped, too. So the answer to your question is yes, and it already failed.

The question is now, how fast can Russia mass troops for a second offensive after this one got stuck.