Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

NPR Journalizard posted:

Its not your money, its a massive companies money, dont be such a cheapskate.

No leeway. Back then we had no ability to credit, we had to submit documentation and request for credit “under these circumstances only” or it would be rejected. Towards the end of my time they gave agents a $20 credit they could apply for any reason, with the information/threat these would be tracked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

DRINK ME posted:

No leeway. Back then we had no ability to credit, we had to submit documentation and request for credit “under these circumstances only” or it would be rejected. Towards the end of my time they gave agents a $20 credit they could apply for any reason, with the information/threat these would be tracked.

Sure, but there is a difference between you fighting the customer for 30 minutes, which just pisses both of you off, and immediately escalating as soon as its a problem.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

PoundSand posted:

I legitimately do not understand why they behaved the way they did. They hosed around and now they've found out.

You answered yourself above this:

quote:

"These two are now performing higher level roles that are getting billed out at higher rates, but they're still internally employed as their old roles. What if we just kinda sit on that and make lots of money".

It's this. They make their money off the delta between what they're paying you and what the government is paying them. Blowing that out either lets them pocket a big chunk of change (and more importantly lets whoever's overseeing the contract report that he increased profits on it X% this FY), or it lets them get massively aggressive on under-bidding another contract and expanding their business.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Greed makes companies do ridiculously stupid poo poo.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

blackmet posted:

We got pushed back to the beginning of next year.

Turns out, 1500 parking spaces for 2400 employees when you want them in the same 3 days each week is kind of a problem.

I worked in a place that had two major campuses and neither had enough parking. The company would run shuttles between locations so you didn't have to lose your space if you had to travel and there was a whole fleet of company provided carpooling vans that could fit around ten people to help alleviate some of the need for people to drive themselves and take up precious parking spaces. If you came in late or were visiting the site for something like an interview, though, you were royally hosed because by about 7AM every parking space at either campus would be occupied. Then we started expanding so much we needed to move some departments to a third campus, including mine. The first question when that was announced was about the parking situation and of course to start they would move 350 people there and have 200 spaces, the implication being the population would only grow.

The last time I was at my current company's main campus I parked at about 10AM and got one of the last spaces open in the lot nearest the entrance I needed, maybe a 150 yard walk. There's some parking further away, but the building is less than a quarter occupied and they are already running low on spaces. This is going to be bad, especially in the winter when people are parking in the lot near one of the other buildings and walking up to a mile to get to the front door through ice and snow.

Outrail posted:

To go running. They get up at 3 am to go running. This is a pod person the pod people want nothing to do with.

I've been getting up at 3 for years. The dogs insist on walking for at least an hour and change, I make coffee and do some light cleaning as well as prep lunch before going out and running for 45 minutes. I get back with plenty of time to shower. I used to then get in the car and drive to work to get there by 7 or 7:30 depending on traffic, but now I just log in at six. I also don't sleep more than five hours a night and often wake up before my alarm.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Lazyfire posted:

I've been getting up at 3 for years. The dogs insist on walking for at least an hour and change, I make coffee and do some light cleaning as well as prep lunch before going out and running for 45 minutes. I get back with plenty of time to shower. I used to then get in the car and drive to work to get there by 7 or 7:30 depending on traffic, but now I just log in at six. I also don't sleep more than five hours a night and often wake up before my alarm.

Worst post username combo

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
We had a fan go bad on a power supply, found a replacement for $15. The work center insisted it get sent to the manufacturer and they’re charging us close to $2500 to replace the entire fan assembly. I know it’s small potatoes but c’mon

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
If you're paying $2,500 for small potatoes I have a great deal on tomatos for you.

Vvv: can you change it anonymously?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

We found the folder where they store the wannabe Lisa Frank wallpaper on our PCs and found we can just rename any picture we want to the shitpaper's filename and our group policy accepts it.

This weekend, I might try my hand at making something corporate-looking, but not garish that we can use as a team.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Don't forget the ring.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Cthulu Carl posted:

My company no has a new Official Wallpaper.

It's bright purple (Like, find a Lisa Frank folder, find the purple there, then make it brighter), and bisected by a series of curves that are both very dark (Compared to the purple), but also blue LED bright.

It cannot be changed.

Tickets are already coming in about how headache-inducing it is...

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

God that reminds me, at an old job we got a new CEO and they made IT push a new lock screen to all the windows pcs. It was a picture of the new ceo with an inspirational quote

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
The one time I had a mandatory wallpaper and discovered it was local, any replacement was overwritten with the original each day. It sucked. I hope your IT dept isn't as thorough and you can escape it!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

SiKboy posted:

I'm a teacher. Needed to borrow a key to a cupboard from a teacher in a different department. He produces his work keys which are attached to a 4" wide plush poo emoji as a keyring. I go, get the stuff I need out the cupboard (and also steal a ream of his departments printer paper for my department, thats like gold dust round here), return it and say "Hey, just out of interest, why are your work keys attached to the poo emoji?" He, I swear to god, goes dead white and says "THE WHAT?" "The poo emoji, you know, this?" "I THOUGHT IT WAS A HAPPY TRIANGLE!".
Our work messaging app had a poo emoji that was a pile of poo poo with little flies around it. An older lady I worked with kept using it in random conversations like "OH THANKS FOR HELPING ME <poo poo emote>" I finally asked her about it and she nearly had a heart attack. "I thought it was a beehive with happy little bees buzzing around!"

They deleted that emote, I assume either someone important used it to great embarrassment, or someone used it with someone important.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Pyrtanis posted:

The one time I had a mandatory wallpaper and discovered it was local, any replacement was overwritten with the original each day. It sucked. I hope your IT dept isn't as thorough and you can escape it!

Were were able to get confirmation that group policy just goes "Is wallpaper.jpg in this folder? Good, set it as the background. it's not? OK, here it is, set it as wallpaper."

Also apparently enough complaints went in (one of my teammates gave the exception request form to a chat group of 600 people), and they're pushing out a new wallpaper that's just a plain black screen with the company's logo in one corner.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Killingyouguy! posted:

God that reminds me, at an old job we got a new CEO and they made IT push a new lock screen to all the windows pcs. It was a picture of the new ceo with an inspirational quote

The usefulness of coworkers with signatures quoting Aristotle, Simon Sinek, or Ellen is about what you’d expect. Although one guy quoting himself was surprisingly competent.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Killingyouguy! posted:

A few years back the CEO of my friend's company released a book. The unsold copies were handed out at the holiday party at all the regional offices as "free gifts."

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Another huge meeting with a vendor where they present a system that competes with ours. They have some neat features that were driven by customer requirements. We've been dragging our feet implementing these features because we think we can't sell them.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

goatface posted:

Anyone who gets up at 3 is insane beyond helping.

You just reminded me that when I get back from paternity leave I have a catch up training that compliance has helpfully scheduled for me at 0300 two days in a row.

I work 1400-0230. I don’t want to hang around for half an hour and then start something that I could easily do at the other training session which is offered at……oh, 0800.

I would only behave the way our compliance department does if I was deliberately trying to sink the company.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
We are asking Vendor A to help us integrate a system from Vender B into our system. We're traveling to Vendor A next week, so we shipped a Vendor B demo system to Vendor A ahead of time. Boss loves to not take inventory of anything. Vendor A sends an email saying some parts are missing. We do have another demo system from Vendor B, but boss ordered that one specifically without the parts that we are currently missing.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Cthulu Carl posted:

Were were able to get confirmation that group policy just goes "Is wallpaper.jpg in this folder? Good, set it as the background. it's not? OK, here it is, set it as wallpaper."

Also apparently enough complaints went in (one of my teammates gave the exception request form to a chat group of 600 people), and they're pushing out a new wallpaper that's just a plain black screen with the company's logo in one corner.

For reasons unknown, someone decided that even a few people being able to change their wallpaper was simply too much. So a new group policy was pushed that changed the wallpaper to just a single color and also locked the settings entirely. Company wide, everyone gets this ugly baby blue desktop.
What was funny is the person who made the announcement on the intranet about this didn't remove their name from the post. So they had people calling them asking why they did it, and can they remove it.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Cyrano4747 posted:

You answered yourself above this:

It's this. They make their money off the delta between what they're paying you and what the government is paying them. Blowing that out either lets them pocket a big chunk of change (and more importantly lets whoever's overseeing the contract report that he increased profits on it X% this FY), or it lets them get massively aggressive on under-bidding another contract and expanding their business.

It just doesn't make sense to me because the best case is they save 5 figures of money and the worst case is they lose 7. I get the whole chasing quarterly profits thing but I don't understand why the general failure of this path hasn't met more resistance by now. this was a bad financial call, if the pm guy who they're still dicking around simply throws in the towel and moves on like I did it's around 5 million bucks of an awarded bid that'll get canceled. Even if he sticks around and they find someone else to fill the role I would have been doing it'll cost them more money than what I was asking for. This was a losing call all around, it wasn't some shrewd business decision.

If anything I was being a dipshit and asking for what was drastically below the market rate for the job I'd be performing. Had they simply gave me what I wanted I'd be worse off and they'd be better off. It just doesn't make sense.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

Salami Surgeon posted:

We are asking Vendor A to help us integrate a system from Vender B into our system. We're traveling to Vendor A next week, so we shipped a Vendor B demo system to Vendor A ahead of time. Boss loves to not take inventory of anything. Vendor A sends an email saying some parts are missing. We do have another demo system from Vendor B, but boss ordered that one specifically without the parts that we are currently missing.

You're sure you didn't just send the missing-parts system in the first place by mistake?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

PoundSand posted:

It just doesn't make sense to me because the best case is they save 5 figures of money and the worst case is they lose 7. I get the whole chasing quarterly profits thing but I don't understand why the general failure of this path hasn't met more resistance by now. this was a bad financial call, if the pm guy who they're still dicking around simply throws in the towel and moves on like I did it's around 5 million bucks of an awarded bid that'll get canceled. Even if he sticks around and they find someone else to fill the role I would have been doing it'll cost them more money than what I was asking for. This was a losing call all around, it wasn't some shrewd business decision.

If anything I was being a dipshit and asking for what was drastically below the market rate for the job I'd be performing. Had they simply gave me what I wanted I'd be worse off and they'd be better off. It just doesn't make sense.

A lot of the time people don’t know what they’re worth and work for yeArs below market rate.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

PoundSand posted:

Yes, but if they ignore it and yank you around maybe you'll keep doing the job and they get to keep saving money until you eventually give up and they get to keep the money forever. Companies don't want to accept that covid turned it into a worker's market and are desperately ignoring it at all costs. In this case, including the cost of "we no longer have someone covering this contract" and to your gain.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Lazyfire posted:

I also don't sleep more than five hours a night and often wake up before my alarm.

:hmmyes:

It's a bane and a boon

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

PoundSand posted:

They're loving dumb as poo poo OP.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
I think a lot of it is base human psychology, overriding the business logic. First of all the power dynamic of being in charge gives you a big head and makes it harder to listen to other people. So start your decision making process by assuming that you're right, and everyone else is wrong. Resist any evidence that would prove otherwise.

So, just as a rough baseline start from the perspective of hubris and extreme ignorance so when your humble peon comes and asks for the cost of living adjustment, you're not thinking about it from the perspective of what value they bring to the company and the relative cost of replacing them Instead think of yourself as a king stowing favors upon grateful peasants

Peasant is demanding a raise.?! That's like slapping you in the face and telling you you don't know what the gently caress you're doing. They're ungrateful! after all, you're doing them a huge favor just by employing them, since each person is an easily replaceable cog in a well oiled machine where you can hot swap out parts on a dime.

All that stupid bullshit is taking prominence in the persons mind while you are humbly making the business case for why maybe just maybe the person that you designated as the linchpin of this entire operation shouldn't be so easily discarded . But they're not taking anything you say seriously because the whole negotiation is framed as a win lose dynamic. They lose if they accede to your demands. Saying no is the easy choice here because it preserves the idea that you have won and upholds the status quo. It also avoids the feeling of loss, which is scary and threatening to the ego.

Whatever risks that not giving the person a raise might entail are purely hypothetical. If person X leaves and y leaves we are in a poo poo load of trouble. But Humans absolutely suck at risk assessment. amplified when you're in a position of power, because that power causes you to ignore the very signals we need to listen to to actually make an accurate assessment of risk. In an extreme form, this manifests as the bizarre behavior we see people like Trump and Elon musk exhibit where there is extreme denial to the point where you cannot admit you're wrong ever or let anyone else win as this is a sign of weakness. More commonly it manifests as a manager with the apparent intelligence of a sandbag.

you have an uphill battle if you are advocating for the business logic in this situation: left untreated, the manager will bounce from one cognitive bias to the other, until they finally land on the lovely decision.

1. Win the negotiation so you don't have to give out any raises.
2. Affirm the decision you made in step one when you realize that nobody has resigned effective immediately.
3. Confidently assume this situation will continue indefinitely until person X resigns.
4. Experience, shock and confusion, disappointment and feelings of betrayal. Person x really let you down and it's making your job a lot harder.
5. Well, everyone gets unlucky sometimes. Unforeseeable though it was we have no choice but to soldier on.
6. More resignations shocked Pikachu face, and the business
7. realize no one wants to work anymore. Just a real lack of work ethic all around. Well since you can't change society better just keep doing what you've been doing.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

I can’t remember what colour it was but I do remember looking at my arms and thinking “yes, this does make it harder to see my veins” so :shrug:

Quotin myself re: coloured lighting in sketchy public bathrooms, I am in London this weekend which I guess has plenty of sketchy bathrooms and the anti-junkie colour of choice is this blue/purple kind of deal.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

TheBlackVegetable posted:

You're sure you didn't just send the missing-parts system in the first place by mistake?

100% sure. I hadn't even opened the 2nd demo system to that point, and after the email I checked that Vendor B hadn't sent those parts with it by mistake. They were in the kit when I handed it to my boss, we'll see if they are in the box when we arrive at Vendor A or if we've wasted a trip.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Nice detailed analysis, sounds plausible.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

My work decided to organise another fancy dinner evening for everyone. Sadly, it's at some fancy DIY restaurant where patrons have to cook their own food, framed as a "cooking workshop". They've done this before, about six years ago, and I was really ashamed that my wife had to spend two hours cutting vegetables in her high heels and amazing dress. Thankfully, this time it's just employees and no partners. I hate it nonetheless, I already cook for two children 3-4 times a week and don't enjoy it. Why would I want to go to a restaurant where I have to cook my own loving food?? I hope they have cheap beer.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
that is experiential hospitality

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Excellent cognitive analysis of extremely lovely managers.

Speaking of risk assessment, I think another thing that contributes to this dynamic is that people have literally no ability to analyze what success means. More often than not, success has very little to do with ability and much to do with luck and knowing the right people, so as a result, the very worst kind of people are rewarded by the roll of the dice and come to the conclusion that actually, they're some kind of gifted genius who truly knows the ways of the world. And that everyone else is a complete loving imbecile.

Seriously, take a person, any person, and reward them endlessly for little to no apparent reason and you will end up with a person with an extreme ego and zero ability to listen to others.

This contributes to the insane manager dynamic because more often than not, this is exactly what has happened. An otherwise mediocre person was rewarded far beyond what they actually deserved for their merit and achievement and the result is *Crack pop ping* I'm a loving visionary genius come to save humanity from itself, my poo poo smells like roses and failure is something that happens solely to other people.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Our attendance policy gives you one point for missing 1-4 days. It also gives you a half point for being late. If you miss a day, then find yourself late the next day, the best thing to do is not show up at all.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Our attendance policy gives you one point for missing 1-4 days. It also gives you a half point for being late. If you miss a day, then find yourself late the next day, the best thing to do is not show up at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chen_Sheng_and_Wu_Guang_uprising

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

:lmao: how does anyone not realize this is exactly what they're incentivizing?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I worked a job with an sick pay policy that said the first 3 days would be unpaid but everything after that was ok (maximum of 1 week without a doctors note), with the idea being to dissuade people from taking random single sick days for stuff.

What it really meant was if you were sick for a couple of days you’d just go ‘gently caress it’ and take the whole week off because you’d get paid anyway if you went back to work or not.

My current place uses the Bradford Factor which is a whole different flavour of stupid as gently caress with a bunch of other ways you can and should exploit it as extra paid time off if you’re not sick, because most really serious illnesses are exceptions to the rules here and you’ll get paid anyway lol.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lazyfire posted:

but keep an eye on my emails.
Why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Speaking of risk assessment, I think another thing that contributes to this dynamic is that people have literally no ability to analyze what success means. More often than not, success has very little to do with ability and much to do with luck and knowing the right people, so as a result, the very worst kind of people are rewarded by the roll of the dice and come to the conclusion that actually, they're some kind of gifted genius who truly knows the ways of the world. And that everyone else is a complete loving imbecile.

Seriously, take a person, any person, and reward them endlessly for little to no apparent reason and you will end up with a person with an extreme ego and zero ability to listen to others.

This contributes to the insane manager dynamic because more often than not, this is exactly what has happened. An otherwise mediocre person was rewarded far beyond what they actually deserved for their merit and achievement and the result is *Crack pop ping* I'm a loving visionary genius come to save humanity from itself, my poo poo smells like roses and failure is something that happens solely to other people.

Don’t forget that in a lot of situations the barely competent (or worse) are the ones allowed to leave their previous department to become managers. The actual good competent people that get poo poo done are prevented from leaving by any means necessary. But even dumbshit managers will let their lowest performers leave for any reason. It easier than having to deal with that person themselves.