Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

My favorite Pirate was just traded to the Phillies for an awful pitcher. Goodnight sweet prince, I will continue to chase your rookie autos and parallels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
He's got a great signature. Sorry for your loss :-(

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
After initially hating on COMC I've since bought $120 in store credit and bought 22 cards. I'm waiting for them to ship to me while I am on vacation and hope to have the package either home or in transit once I'm back.

They seem to have a pretty good system, other than not really being clear on how they store cards for sale (something like $0.01 per month/card?). It wasn't obvious to me and I had a bunch of cards I planned on flipping initially, but will just take possession of them now.

Their website makes it real easy to make mistakes too. You can accidentally buy something too easily, and equally set your prices way too low on just 1-2 clicks. Otherwise they are a solid platform for cards and I wouldn't be surprised if Fanatics or eBay tries to buy them out (if not already).

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The whole Fanatics thing really has me down about the future of all of this.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
I haven't bought cards in a while but I just wanna say I'm glad I didn't get sucked into Wander Franco hype. Looking GRIM

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Sunk Dunk posted:

I haven't bought cards in a while but I just wanna say I'm glad I didn't get sucked into Wander Franco hype. Looking GRIM

Yeah......I have a couple cards of him, but it was because it was part of some bundle deal to get my grimy hands on other cards I wanted. Thankfully those cards paid for themselves (and then some) so the Wander cards could go in the trash and I wouldn't care.

I see some folks offloading now, and I feel real bad for them.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Sunk Dunk posted:

Oooooof.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Very happy I got rid of my RPA #/5 a month ago so all I have now are base RC.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Not much for cards on the whole, but this was neat enough I couldn't pass it up. I mean technically it's a sports card! But just got this guy in today:

This is going to end up with me down a rabbit hole of "what other weird poo poo can I find signed by my favorite players". :homebrew:

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

LOL, amazing.

How much did that run? Can't imagine too much because it is such an oddball.

Anything good on the back side? Or are they super-lame and have blank backs?

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

~150$. Sure, I could've gotten a cheaper Brodeur auto, but c'mon, when am I ever gonna get his business card?

I wouldn't call the back fancy by any means, but it's better than blank at least. Just the ownership group logo:

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

:tipshat:

$150 is a decent price, can't imagine you'll find too many out there. I'd probably snap something like that up if it was someone I collected.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
LCS has 2022 heritage high number for $45/hobby so I bought 4 to rip during our socal "hurricane". Would be nice to get a Bobby or Julio, but at less than $2/pack I'm happy to just rip it while watching baseball.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Well, hopefully you don't pull any Wander Francos

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Only opened 1 box because the 14th pack had a Nolan Ryan bat relic and I felt like my luck would evaporate after that lol. The other 3 go in the Christmas morning rip pile.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Gorman Thomas posted:

Only opened 1 box because the 14th pack had a Nolan Ryan bat relic and I felt like my luck would evaporate after that lol. The other 3 go in the Christmas morning rip pile.

Good pull! Also jealous of your self control.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1693736250597896340

Well that sure is something. I wonder how many people knew this was going to happen and what it means for sets this year. Assuming they can't halt production/sale of what's already been produced and scheduled to release.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
PC mailday

I was fortunate enough to see Vlad Sr hit his 399th and 400th career hr in person. Some day I'll get a 1995 Bowman's Best Blue Refractor (and a 2019 Bowmans best Blue Refractor of Jr) for the PC.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Schremp Howard posted:

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1693736250597896340

Well that sure is something. I wonder how many people knew this was going to happen and what it means for sets this year. Assuming they can't halt production/sale of what's already been produced and scheduled to release.

This feels like awful news in the short and long term.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I have to assume that Fanatics pressured the NFLPA to do this now since they are involved in a lawsuit from Panini and wanted to gently caress them over more

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

FlamingLiberal posted:

I have to assume that Fanatics pressured the NFLPA to do this now since they are involved in a lawsuit from Panini and wanted to gently caress them over more

This is absolutely going to end up included in those lawsuits.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I said I wasn't going to buy an auto, but here I am.. I've been searching high and low and it's infuriating. Outside of the usual eBay issues like keyword spamming, my biggest gripes with autos are:

1) Self-certified COAs are ridiculous..I've found at least 2 sellers that only sell fake auto products and yet people keep buying them thinking they are getting a deal. In my much younger days I may would have fallen for it, but not now.

2) Artist cards that are autographed by the artist. I don't mind it and they crank out some cool stuff, but man it's easy to click a listing thinking it's player signed. It always takes me a second.

3) Topps has been selling "through the year" cards, and some of the listings look like, and are priced as high as auto cards go for. Like, who the hell thinks to slab a card like this other than someone trying to finesse others?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Those "Through The Years" cards were a terrible loving idea and are notorious for letting scammers scam like crazy. Awful stuff. I hope you find a sweet auto!!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

mp5 posted:

Well, hopefully you don't pull any Wander Francos

I'm amazed at the avalanche of sellers trying to unload Franco cards, just goddamn

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Red posted:

I'm amazed at the avalanche of sellers trying to unload Franco cards, just goddamn

Every shitbag "Investor" is trying to fire sale him before he gets charged with any crimes, and it's already looking like he's done in MLB

This is an extreme example of why I don't like rookie chasing. Just let me admire a nice Rickey Henderson card or something.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Unless a prospect turns into Ohtani or Trout you are better off just unloading when they make their MLB debut. I'm sure a ton of people invested in Anthony Volpe cards and they certainly regret that now.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Shhh my girlfriend thinks our portfolio managers name is Gunnar Henderson

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gorman Thomas posted:

Shhh my girlfriend thinks our portfolio managers name is Gunnar Henderson

See, that's why you engage Dewey, Cheatham & Howe (a Fanatics company) for your investment needs.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Sy Borg posted:

See, that's why you engage Dewey, Cheatham & Howe (a Fanatics company) for your investment needs.

I much perfer the firm of Fwar, Dips, Winshares, Gritt, Babip, Pecota, Vorp & Eckstein. Fanatics can burn in Hell.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

esperantinc posted:

Fanatics can burn in Hell.

They already bought and own the exclusive rights

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The new Hell-ograms are so dope though. You can really feel the damnation when you hold it.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Just got this.

Pretty stoked. It took about two weeks to go through the shipping with eBay authentication but it was worth the wait. I know it's a boring photo, but a batting or pitching image probably would have been double the price I paid. I really like the signature on this one, super clean and crisp, can tell he spent the time to sign it.

It showed up double sleeved in a card saver which I immediately replaced. I drove out to the LCS for the first time and not only did they have the exact one touch I wanted, but it was cheaper than buying it on eBay/Amazon. I definitely had to hold myself back from buying random singles/packs. Support your LCS! I will probably be back there in a few months as I have at least two buyback cards to unload.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Bank posted:

Just got this.

Pretty stoked. It took about two weeks to go through the shipping with eBay authentication but it was worth the wait. I know it's a boring photo, but a batting or pitching image probably would have been double the price I paid. I really like the signature on this one, super clean and crisp, can tell he spent the time to sign it.

It showed up double sleeved in a card saver which I immediately replaced. I drove out to the LCS for the first time and not only did they have the exact one touch I wanted, but it was cheaper than buying it on eBay/Amazon. I definitely had to hold myself back from buying random singles/packs. Support your LCS! I will probably be back there in a few months as I have at least two buyback cards to unload.

This is so sick, congrats!!

I got a job this morning after 6 months of unemployment and immediately dropped $700 at the LCS lmao

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

camoseven posted:

This is so sick, congrats!!

I got a job this morning after 6 months of unemployment and immediately dropped $700 at the LCS lmao

Dudeee that's even better news. Congrats on the job! Hope you get some big hits coming your way.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

camoseven posted:

My favorite Pirate was just traded to the Phillies for an awful pitcher. Goodnight sweet prince, I will continue to chase your rookie autos and parallels.

He's only 24 but he's been absolutely brutal at the plate for the Phils. I can totally see why they took a chance on him, though.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Red posted:

He's only 24 but he's been absolutely brutal at the plate for the Phils. I can totally see why they took a chance on him, though.

He's got crazy power but is very immature and likely did not take the demotion to AAA and subsequent trade well *at all*. He probably needs a minor league coach to kick some sense into him if he's ever gonna be (consistently) successful in the bigs. We'll see, I'm still gonna collect him cause I loved watching him in Indy and he's got a great signature.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

To review: Arguably the biggest bust in Jays history, a letter that isn't even in his name that is a color that doesn't match anything the team wears

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Shrecknet posted:

To review: Arguably the biggest bust in Jays history, a letter that isn't even in his name that is a color that doesn't match anything the team wears

I'd still keep it, I love those drat things

If I got an Ohtani one I'd probably sleep with it

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I did my name with By The Letter autos and am currently chasing a Chris Duffy set to spell out PIRATES. They were my favorite when I was younger but they were expensive. Now they're cheap and/or I make more money! I love it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
If anyone in here does hockey breaks again, hit me up. Kid finally started school so can spend a few bucks again.