Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You say s1 of TNG is the worst instead of the best? Give me your agonizer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
I already kinda look back on s1 a lot more fondly than I expected. Sure, there are absolute messes in there, but they're entertaining messes and they never felt like they were wasting my time like the worst of s2. Up The Long Ladder? UP YER SHAFT

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Season 1 is better than season 7 though.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Soul Dentist posted:

Y'all can definitely quit trying to defend Voyager, of all things. I married my wife for many reasons but her taste and judgement are foremost.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Voyager has some good episodes but overall it's pretty bad, however watching Voyager gives me the warm and fuzzy Star Trek nostalgia feeling that I don't get from the new shows

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Voyager is cool and good and if you can't appreciate it there's always still time to work on yourself

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I know the new hotness is to poo poo on Season 7 but absolutely not

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I know the new hotness is to poo poo on Season 7 but absolutely not

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
The real answer is its all good.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My dear poster, they're all good.
Even the bad ones?
Especially the bad ones.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
As outrageous as Okona.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
TNG has some good episodes and some awful episodes in basically every season. Season 1 might be the only season with no great episodes, perhaps.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

TNG has some good episodes and some awful episodes in basically every season. Season 1 might be the only season with no great episodes, perhaps.

1/3 of utter crap, 1/3 of forgettable filler and 1/3 of brilliance. The way they used to make TV-show seasons.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

Conspiracy, duh.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
S1 has Arsenal of Freedom which is an all-time Trek great. “It’s a good ship.”

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I like Dragon's Teeth because it is fun but also has an ending where Voyager screws up and instead of helping fix the problem, jumps out the window and runs off

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Might have said this before but Dragon's Teeth really is 'The Gang Unearth An Ancient Evil'

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

skasion posted:

Ten.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There are no ‘great’ episodes in Season 1. There are a few good ones, but the majority are bad, average, or just boring

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

YOu need to watch it all so you can participate in this thread fully!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Yeah, I'm not and have no interest in defending Voyager. Saying Enterprise is worse isn't defending it; Enterprise is worse than most other bad things.

If you're legit interested in high points, low points and story beats, here's the list I'd give for ten episodes.

1x01 Caretaker
2x18 Death Wish
2x24 Tuvix
3x21 Before and After
3x25 Worst Case Scenario
3x26 Scorpion
4x08 Year of Hell
4x23 Living Witness
5x06 Timeless
7x25 Endgame

And then I guess hatewatch Threshold as a sendoff if you like, it doesn't really matter if you watch it in its place or not.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Man. DS9's Melora feels quintessential of how 90s shows dealt with a physical disability: otherize them as much as you can, make their disability into a thing that determines every interaction with her, and focus on the idea of curing her condition. First, everyone's ooh-ing and aah-ing over the novelty of a wheelchair, and then she's a massive pill about wanting a special exception made for her because... she doesn't want exceptions made for her. I feel like if the writers had bothered to ask a fan in a wheelchair what they wanted, they might've told them "actually just have someone in a chair treated like anyone else maybe"

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

davidspackage posted:

Man. DS9's Melora feels quintessential of how 90s shows dealt with a physical disability: otherize them as much as you can, make their disability into a thing that determines every interaction with her, and focus on the idea of curing her condition. First, everyone's ooh-ing and aah-ing over the novelty of a wheelchair, and then she's a massive pill about wanting a special exception made for her because... she doesn't want exceptions made for her. I feel like if the writers had bothered to ask a fan in a wheelchair what they wanted, they might've told them "actually just have someone in a chair treated like anyone else maybe"

Yeah, the writer was a wheelchair user who turned in a script that he admits was rushed and needed tweaking, but Piller's tweaks were basically "add in all the poo poo the writer deliberately didn't."

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

disaster pastor posted:

Yeah, the writer was a wheelchair user who turned in a script that he admits was rushed and needed tweaking, but Piller's tweaks were basically "add in all the poo poo the writer deliberately didn't."

I'm reading about it now, that sucks! The writer was motivated by his disapproval of the TNG episode Ethics, in which Worf keeps trying to kill himself rather than not be able to walk.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Yeah but Worf, and I can't stress this enough, is a moron

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

skasion posted:

Arsenal of Freedom would be my pick for best episode of season 1, yeah. I wouldn't call it great but it's a very solid pretty good.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 51 minutes!
Where No One Has Gone Before*
Arsenal of Freedom
Conspiracy
elements of Coming of Age
Heart of Glory

...are all perfectly fine episodes, imo.

* Maybe it's just me. Not a great episode but I'm a bit of a sucker for 'lost deep in space' episodes.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Season 1 TNG is wild. Like memorably wild.

S7 is kind of too cozy for the most part, even if it has really strong ups and crazy memorable downs. For every "All Good Things" there is a matching "Masks", and such. Having the entire crew be absolutely A-Okay after just one commercial break at the end of "Genesis" is like the perfect way to sum up the season.

S7 is still far more interesting than the entirety of Voyager or Enterprise.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 25, 2023

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Surprised nobody's mentioned False Profits for a Voyager hatewatch

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Without Masks we don't have the Cerritos routinely dealing with Mask Takeovers and I'm not willing to give that up

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Soul Dentist posted:

Surprised nobody's mentioned False Profits for a Voyager hatewatch

False Profits has Leslie Jordan as a Ferengi. Not hateable.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

jeeves posted:

Season 1 TNG is wild. Like memorably wild.

S7 is kind of too cozy for the most part, even if it has really strong ups and crazy memorable downs. For every "All Good Things" there is a matching "Masks", and such. Having the entire crew be absolutely A-Okay after just one commercial break at the end of "Genesis" is like the perfect way to sum up the season.

S7 is still far more interesting than the entirety of Voyager or Enterprise.

Nah, Voyager does get some sauce between seasons 3 and 5 and Enterprise season 4, they're deeply flawed shows but they have their moments

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I don't think there's ever been a piece of media before or since that's like Masks.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

No Dignity posted:

Nah, Voyager does get some sauce between seasons 3 and 5 and Enterprise season 4, they're deeply flawed shows but they have their moments

If Enterprise did what it did in S4 for the entire run it would be remembered as the best Star Trek series. I am serious about this.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
I know they make a big deal about there was No Improv on Trek, Ever, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the shooting script for Masks wasn't just pages of "Brent does another funny voice".

Der Kyhe posted:

If Enterprise did what it did in S4 for the entire run it would be remembered as the best Star Trek series. I am serious about this.

Manny Coto was the only person involved in Enterprise who understood the assignment.

Fighting Trousers fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 25, 2023

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

Just let Riker and Troi be the main characters and make sure we never see the rest of the cast again? Yeah, probably.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

disaster pastor posted:

Just let Riker and Troi be the main characters and make sure we never see the rest of the cast again? Yeah, probably.

Well, not *that* part. TV movies and one-off episodes exploring the pre-TOS historical achievements of the United Earth and the key events leading to the birth of the Federation.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I love that O'Brien's facial features just keep getting smaller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer