Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

KingSlime posted:

I did, seems to run just as good as the first one! It's so good, barely got to one of the main bosses and am getting my rear end kicked

The new weapons are rad

Cool cool I’m probably gonna get it on switch instead of other consoles so I’m glad to hear it runs well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

pwn posted:

Quest 64 sucks

yeah, why want Quest 64 when the superior N64 RPG is clearly Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage?!

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Kyoujin posted:

Holy crap Sea of Stars releases in less than a week.

Will Jordon Peterson be a playable character this time around?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

PowerBeard posted:

Press "M" to pull up your completely useless Map of Meaning.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Inzombiac posted:

WHERE IS QUEST 64

Forget Quest 64. Where is actual good game Banjo-Tooie? :argh:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

PowerBeard posted:

People should get over this honestly. That essay segment is in there specifically to annoy the player as a punishment and only appears if you click a box that doesn't do anything like 100 times.

That says the writing in the rest of the game is not really good or funny either which doesn't really give me confidence in an rpg

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

pwn posted:

Quest 64 sucks

I am going to come to your house, hit things with a stick along the way, get turned around after a battle, and get lost in an extremely repetitive path but at some point I'll reach your home and ooh boy then you'll be sorry wait first I have to cast a hundred earth spells one sec

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kyoujin posted:

In the garbage where it belongs. I always wanted to love that game but it was such a mess. Somehow I ended up doing more damage with my staff than spells.

From what little I know about the game, that's because your staff and spells both have independent leveling systems to them. But also using your staff alot is part of raising your other stats on Brian. Maybe it helps max mp. I forget. It's weird. Basically every thing in the game does something to make you stronger in something. Including grinding getting hit to raise your defense.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

People should get over this honestly. That essay segment is in there specifically to annoy the player as a punishment and only appears if you click a box that doesn't do anything like 100 times.

you were already proven wrong about this last time, why are you trying it again

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oxxidation posted:

you were already proven wrong about this last time, why are you trying it again

I don't know this probably came up like two years ago and I probably didn't see the post about it

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Sea of Stars looks good and I will play it based on the demo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

404notfound posted:

The Vampire Survivors dev used to work in the gambling industry, and I think it shows. The audiovisual experience in that game is an assault on the senses that keeps you hooked on trying to reach the next level up—or when you finish a run, on starting right back over, maybe with a different character on a different stage.

There may be a lot of auto-shooter survival games (or rear end games, as Jeff Gerstmann likes to put it) out there, but as VS demonstrates, there's a lot more psychology to it than just pure game mechanics, which is why it's so hard to recapture that magic in an imitator

This is how I felt about Vampire Survivors the first few times I played it, but after that it just got to the point my character got so overpowered I could just walk around the screen and nothing could ever kill me and it was kind of pointless. The process of getting completely overpowered was really fun, and you can see the thought process put into hooking the player into that process. Definitely a fun few hours.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I played Magic Survival on mobile, and that was somewhat entertaining but I got bored of it quickly. It's essentially the same game, different look and I think a different way to handle power ups. So when VS came up as a 'rip-off' (or just a very similar game) to that, I initially passed.

But the Castlevania look and sound, plus the way the power ups work together got me hooked. VERY hooked.

If anyone reading this played Magic Survival and assumed you wouldn't like VS, I recommend giving VS a try.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

John Wick of Dogs posted:

That says the writing in the rest of the game is not really good or funny either which doesn't really give me confidence in an rpg

The creator of the game literally said that he thinks Jordan Peterson is good so that part of The Messenger is definitely not some sort of satire.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Srice posted:

The creator of the game literally said that he thinks Jordan Peterson is good so that part of The Messenger is definitely not some sort of satire.

Would like to see where he says that because I did some searching and couldn't find that, but I did find this from the dev's discord:

Whether or not this sways opinions, dunno, but I haven't seen them address it elsewhere.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
it's been a few years since i played it but the uhh, wizard guy who talks to you about that says he's gonna say some really boring poo poo and are you really sure you want to read this?? and you have to click Yes like five times.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

https://twitter.com/GuliKitDesign/status/1694385429624058098

I don't have a Steam Deck yet, but a dock that can do both is a great idea. The SNES style is just icing on the cake.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Would like to see where he says that because I did some searching and couldn't find that, but I did find this from the dev's discord:

Whether or not this sways opinions, dunno, but I haven't seen them address it elsewhere.

Saw this post awhile back:

Megasabin posted:

Talk to me more about media literacy. It makes you seem very intelligent.

If the guy no longer believes in that poo poo, that's good. Though if he's now saying that at the time it was written it was meant to be satirical, well, I don't believe him! And that's okay, people can change.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

it's been a few years since i played it but the uhh, wizard guy who talks to you about that says he's gonna say some really boring poo poo and are you really sure you want to read this?? and you have to click Yes like five times.

that’s only for the first rant. the others get dropped on you unprompted (there’s three or four total) and one of them is prefaced by saying it’s from “Jordan the Wise”

I’m not going to judge sea of stars based on that alone but it wasn’t exactly poking fun at the time

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Do not trust the Wizard and his All Meat Diet.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Morpheus posted:

anyone whos pretending to care about this is lying

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Waffle! posted:

I don't have a Steam Deck yet, but a dock that can do both is a great idea. The SNES style is just icing on the cake.

Hmm. I do have a Deck! Never even considered getting a dock for it, but now I am.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Waffle! posted:

The Genki Covert Dock that I bought years ago works fine on the Deck as well. It's limited to 1080p60 output (since that's all the Switch does) and the Deck considers it a "slow charger", but it works.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The previews for Sea of Stars that mention a quest on planet VoteDeSantis aren't a good sign though.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The Genki Covert Dock that I bought years ago works fine on the Deck as well. It's limited to 1080p60 output (since that's all the Switch does) and the Deck considers it a "slow charger", but it works.

It also does screen mirroring for iPads with USB-C ports, which is insanely good for travel

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm just saying there is worse stuff in that ninja game than the jp stuff. Mainly the entire second half of the game

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Waffle! posted:

I did not realize until now how much I need a dock that fully supports both the Switch and the Deck.

And also looks like an SNES.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I always confuse the Messenger with actual good game Cyber Shadow. too many indie ninja gaidens

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Messenger is good when it's a linear action game, then it decides to get cute and become a Metroidvania with 4 hours of backtracking through stuff you've already done to get macguffins.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Hmm idk if I'd say I super care but I was ready to buy sea of stars as soon as it came out simply to support a scrappy team based on that YouTube doc.

Now I'm like eh I have a big backlog maybe I can hold off on this til I figure out if they are promoting chud bullshit or not. I don't care enough to research it so I'll just get the game later when my backlog clears a bit because that screenshot does lower it's priority significantly

This right wing poo poo is a disease that keeps turning my loved ones into assholes who casually parrot hate speech

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

American McGay posted:

Messenger is good when it's a linear action game, then it decides to get cute and become a Metroidvania with 4 hours of backtracking through stuff you've already done to get macguffins.
The free DLC (picnic panic) is really, really good and yep it's all linear. I don't think the base game is that good but the DLC sure is.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

no i NEED every single game i play to reflect my personal politics

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
That's right loud n proud hate speech and "bio truths" are but simple personal politics, nailed it.

Anyways I'm 40 percent done with blasphemous 2 and so far there was one area where the frame rate hitched a bit. I think the area is too large and has a ton of flying enemies maybe? Still odd for a strictly 2d pixel game.

My biggest annoyances so far are that sometimes the game gets confused as to which layer/elevation it should snap the camera to in a few places and it can get disorienting as the camera snaps up and down. Happened in two early areas, prolly gonna get patched out.

There's also a weird issue where I keep triggering the rest points if I hit any button near them. The only thing that should activate them is pressing up on the d pad. I assume this too will get patched?

Minor two bugs aside, the game runs smoothly and I'm glad I went with handheld.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

An Actual Princess posted:

no i NEED every single game i play to reflect my personal politics

There's a pretty big difference between "must agree with me on everything" and "supports literal racist psychos."

That said SoS does not have any racist psycho stuff in it unless it's hidden real good so it's fine. Considering the tone of the story I doubt there is anything in there hidden either.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I'd also add that the quotes in the messenger aren't blatant let's redpill normies bullshit and the devs did patch it out along with some lame "assume my gender" joke so it's probably just some lame dork writer overstepping their boundaries

It did justifiably raise eyebrows though. And there was no shortage of goobers online celebrating that the team is totally anti SJW but that is probably just gamers being gamers and has nothing to do with the devs

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 25, 2023

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Electromax posted:

The previews for Sea of Stars that mention a quest on planet VoteDeSantis aren't a good sign though.

I hope this is a joke, because that's a yikes otherwise.

Have they announced how much the game is going to cost?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

14.88 that's not good

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

mega yikes. sounds like C (Chud) of Stars?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It was weird in the demo when that one character was going on and on about the Harry Potter game being game of the year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So indie side who's the coolest dev team? Toby Fox?