Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, the Order has actively made the Gate situation worse.

Destroying Dorukan's gate was unnecessary at that point, as Xykon was on the run.

Miko would not have fallen (at that point, it was probably inevitable in her lifetime) and the Sapphire Guard ghosts would have defeated Xykon and Redcloak if she hadn't encountered the Order and discovered her patron's deception.

Destroying the desert gate was also unnecessary, even at the low point the Order was in, since a Tarquin & Co vs Xykon deathmatch would have left the winners easy pickings for the Order (it would also have been pretty cool). Not to mention most of Girrard's defences being gone because Varsuvius has no sense of right and wrong.

They had no way to know Xykon was going to teleport in five minutes after Tarquin took the gate. For all they knew, an evil faction was going to get months of time with the gate before anyone challenged them, and they made the call to prevent that because they have fairly sparse information on exactly how the bad guys are planning to abuse the gates, they just know it's bad. It wasn't the right call given full information, but they had very little information. Or, more succiently,

Kyte posted:

Man it's almost like incomplete information begets bad situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

If the Order hadn't made the Gate situation worse, then Thor wouldn't have been in a position to get a 4-quiddity pact with The Dark One. The Stickverse would've slowly succumbed to the Snarl's unraveling and be remade into something else.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
To be fair if we are talking about who's at fault with the gates we have to start with Serini's group. The gates were poorly defended in the first place because none of the defenders wanted to cooperate with the others. (Well I'm sure Dorukon and Lirian would have been willing to collaborate with each other but they didn't I guess because of the promise not to interfere with the other gates?)

So they each ended up with exploitable flaws as a result because of the biases of the folks who built them. If they had worked together or coordinated anything at all they could have done something better but they didn't. Or at the very least you know maybe muster some kind of unified effort against Xykon once Lirian's gate fell. I imagine Dorukon's tower being shored up by high level paladins, illusionists, Serini, etc would have made a significant difference.

Though if that happened, we wouldn't have a story.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 15, 2023

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I mean obviously the best possible path in the long run is the one we are on. They are the protagonists. I just found it amusing to consider that Xykon would have gotten his rear end kicked sneaking into the throne room alone if the Order had not been there to figure out his invisibility and waylay him.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

ImpAtom posted:

There is nothing about Tarquin that is actually reasonable. He puts on a good face but he's driven by the same narrative desires as Elan and is just as mercurial. Leaving a potential way to end the world in the hands of a dude whose stated goal is to be a final boss is not a good idea.

Like the entire point of Tarquin is that he presents himself as a cool composed Logical Evil villain but he isn't. He wants to create rivals and cause problems and do basically everything he can to make himself the centerpiece of the Big Important Story. He is far more 'evil Elan' than Nale was and it's pretty critical to the character that whatever he portrays himself as he's an egotistical shithead first which is why he can't get things like "Wow, my son REALLLLLLY hates this vampire."

This is a very good and incisive post.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like trying to put any blame on the Order kind of misses the point.

Before the story even stars Liren's Gate is destroyed. From there Xykon moves on to Dourkan's Gate and the Order goes after him on a generic adventure to defeat an evil Lich.
If they didn't act at all then Xykon has the first gate and basically succeeds at which point the Gods destroy the world.
From there they are actively working to stop him and sometimes don't succeed but the other choice is to sit around and hope he fails. "they made things worse" assumes everything would have gone the same or better without them and that's a lot of butterfly wings.
And even if team 'I hope he fails' succeeds then the question becomes "does he fail soon enough that the Gods don't decide that it's time for a new world just to be safe"

Even though he'd killed Dorukan, Xykon wasn't able to break the protections on Dorukan's Gate. That's why the Order even had a chance against Xykon in their first battle - he went easy on them while he attempted to trick one of those pure-hearted adventurers into touching the gate and disarming the defenses for him.

Ironically, Dorukan's Gate defenses were probably the most secure of all the Gates. Even after Dorukan's death and the occupation of his dungeon by a villain, the defenses remained in place right up until after the defeat of the villain, at which point one of the victorious heroes pushed a big magic rune labeled "Do Not Touch" for absolutely no reason.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Really it's the gods'fault for not being able to cooperate and causing the entire situation in the first place

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

FlocksOfMice posted:

Really it's the gods'fault for not being able to cooperate and causing the entire situation in the first place

“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
New page - https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1286.html

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Now that's how you do a final dungeon!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ahahaha perfect

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Amazing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Of course it is.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

This is totally a boss rush, isn't it? It's going to have aspects of all of the other Scribble characters' dungeons or themes one after another.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Really funny, great strip. Really elegant characterisation for a lot of characters in a small space, killer punchline.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Haley catching Elan in a princess carry is extremely cute. :3:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Rogues passed their acrobatics checks, fighters failed them, Elan passed his Charisma check to get his Rogue gf to catch him.

By the way, don't suppose Hailey catching him princess carry required a specific str for her character sheet did it? After looking through that earlier link about the grognards figuring out character levels due to feats in comic, I wonder if that princess carry will become another data point.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Possibly, but even if they do, it's not a very useful data point. A character can lift double their carrying capacity off the ground, which means unless Elan is comically heavy or Haley has a comically low Strength score, it doesn't really determine anything.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

girl dick energy posted:

Haley catching Elan in a princess carry is extremely cute. :3:
The facial expressions are nice, too - Haley is a little unsure if she'll be able to catch Elan, Elan has no doubt that his girlfriend can do it.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Donkringel posted:

Rogues passed their acrobatics checks, fighters failed them, Elan passed his Charisma check to get his Rogue gf to catch him.

Ochul passed the insight check to figure out that a rogue would dump them into the dungeon in an obtuse way, only to get tripped up by Roy failing everything.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Donkringel posted:

By the way, don't suppose Hailey catching him princess carry required a specific str for her character sheet did it? After looking through that earlier link about the grognards figuring out character levels due to feats in comic, I wonder if that princess carry will become another data point.

There's rules for carrying, yeah. I looked at the stat thread on the GITP forums, and they put Haley's lower Str bound at 15. Then, I looked at the SRD's carrying capacity rules, and that puts her maximum carrying load at 200 lbs. Elan doesn't wear armor and probably uses bags of holding. Haley might be able to lift Elan over her head.

... what? I'm on my lunch break and bored.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I assume her STR is like 18-20 because the more strength you have the more comically oversized bags of gold you can carry.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ImpAtom posted:

I assume her STR is like 18-20 because the more strength you have the more comically oversized bags of gold you can carry.

That is what bags of holding are for

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Strength is also an important stat for an archer, since you can add it to damage with composite bows.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't be surprised if Haley picked up a few fighter levels at some point, especially while Roy was dead.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
IIRC Haley would need like an 18+ strength to not be burdened by her excessive number of bags of holding, but also the comic doesn't care a whole lot about carrying capacity because who does, really?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Encumbrance rules just slow things down.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Plus, at the level the party operates, a set of +2 or even +4 Gauntlets of Strength would be pocket change, and doubly so if it's an obsolete hand-me-down from Roy. I know the comic doesn't obligate itself into adhering strictly to RAW, but I thought it was implied or assumed somewhere that everyone is keeping up on their armor enchantments and Cloaks of Resistance and other essentials?

Anyways, carry capacity tables are kind of worthless here anyways, since it only tells you what kind of loads you can carry indefinitely for a long period of time, which is absolutely not the same as what you exert yourself into doing very briefly.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

lightrook posted:

Plus, at the level the party operates, a set of +2 or even +4 Gauntlets of Strength would be pocket change, and doubly so if it's an obsolete hand-me-down from Roy. I know the comic doesn't obligate itself into adhering strictly to RAW, but I thought it was implied or assumed somewhere that everyone is keeping up on their armor enchantments and Cloaks of Resistance and other essentials?

Anyways, carry capacity tables are kind of worthless here anyways, since it only tells you what kind of loads you can carry indefinitely for a long period of time, which is absolutely not the same as what you exert yourself into doing very briefly.

I mean they regularly go to towns to stock up on magic items and they've lampshaded the "assume we're doing all our normal buffing off screen" bit before so it's perfectly reasonable to assume they have standard in slot magical equipment from gnome town at the very least, if not more recently.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
So this is going to be the water part of the first dungeon? A real deep cut if this is why that cut from the first dungeon.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

Encumbrance rules just slow things down.

Boo. Boo this man.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
They jumped through a portal and now they're in the first dungeon again, but like, what does that actually mean? Is this an illusion? An actual portal to the physical first dungeon? Time travel back to before the first Gate got blown up? Serini just built a physical reproduction of the first dungeon? Some additional option?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ponsonby Britt posted:

They jumped through a portal and now they're in the first dungeon again, but like, what does that actually mean? Is this an illusion? An actual portal to the physical first dungeon? Time travel back to before the first Gate got blown up? Serini just built a physical reproduction of the first dungeon? Some additional option?

Serini built a dungeon in honor of a fallen member of their group but the final-final dungeon is actually a tribute to the entire group and mixes them all together.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
They had the same contractors?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

ImpAtom posted:

Serini built a dungeon in honor of a fallen member of their group but the final-final dungeon is actually a tribute to the entire group and mixes them all together.

Gun Jam posted:

Both of these.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Gun Jam posted:

I trust that as the party's rogue she had a better head for finances than Dorukan and was able to pay for the complete project.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Or had enough insight to know when the contractors tried to shaft her.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Yessssssssss! That's definitely a Final Dungeon!

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

That magnificent son-of-a-bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
What's the plan again, is it just to ambush Xykon as soon as he arrives in 2 days? Are they hoping to bypass the challenges and wait until Xykon arrives and once he exhausts himself then ambush him or do they actually need to clear the dungeon first themselves in order to "safely" fight Xykon?