Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."
Plug for Train Control Signals mod. If you find it annoying to refuel trains AND you don't want to buy-in on LTN, this is the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Almost exactly 100 hours to make the first logistic science

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

wow arcosphere balancing sucks, but I think I have something worked out.

edit: Looking this up now and running mine, it might not even work. Other people run much more complicated solutions, wow.

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 24, 2023

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Has anyone played Exotic Industries?

I'm looking for a big mod to try but it doesn't look like there's much in the way of new options. I've played K2 and Bob/Angels and there's no way I'm going to try Py so if you've got suggestions I'm listening.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

If you're looking for another Nullius has been a fun playthrough so far. You're starting on a barren world: no biters or trees, you literally get your starting carbon from the planet's rich CO2 atmosphere to make your coal (called "Graphite") for the chemical processes that need it.

You get the industry up to build the rocket to seed life on the world so future engineers can crash on it, cut down the forests and nuke biters.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I had kind of dismissed seablock outright because I didn't like the premise, but Dosh made it seem interesting and now I'm a hundred hours in. It's good, y'all. I complained a lot about SE's recipe design earlier ITT but Seablock is like the perfect counterexample on how to do it right. There's a ton of byproducts, and you can usually void them but a lot of the time you really don't want to because a lot of them are useful, not just for recycling into the same recipe chain but elsewhere in the factory too! Some very important resources you can essentially only get as byproducts (looking at you, sulfuric acid!). In some cases there's an argument to be made for voiding the "main" output of the recipe just to get at the byproduct. There are usually many different ways to do the same thing and usually most of them are viable at one point or another. It's really fun! Takes a while to get going but you can timewarp past the slowest bits at the start if you want.

Also, bob's adjustable inserters are one heck of a drug.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I want to do an actual seablock run sometime. I started one and enjoyed it but other things took over time and it’s… slow, at least at the start.

One day! For now I’ll keep doing smaller mods more vanilla based and just loving with different approaches.

I did a Brave New World recently and that was kinda fun, the early part was a bit of a puzzle to start getting enough power and more roboports and then it gets way quicker.

Now I’m doing a 248k and giving factorismo a shot, with transport vehicles for local resource movement. I’m just about to get into the real addition from 248k (the beacon…. Stuff?) and enjoying it. Not a huge change from vanilla early on outside of a couple new materials but otherwise unchanged recipes, which made the start nice and familiar.

I’m getting close to 5k hours logged in steam, which doesn’t count the tons of hours I’ve played with a stand-alone install. Best bang for my buck ever.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I really think seablock has an undeserved or rather outdated rep. My latest save I’m back up to black circuits now and I guess I’ll try and set up top tier modules next, which means biter farming and spores and all that. Then I at least want to launch a few rockets. Probably won’t do the millions of science though since that needs a pretty large base and I play on a MacBook right now but who knows.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

After mentioning it in the Management Game thread I started a new Warptorio save and holy poo poo I had forgotten how unforgiving it is when you play solo. The author does warn you that the mod is really meant to be played multiplayer because you'll easily get task overloaded solo. Fortunately there are a few settings you can tweak to make it easier for a solo player, especially letting you start with a box containing some ammo, a couple of turrets and other helpful things.

I'm on planet 6 now and starting to run low on ammo. :ohdear:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Collateral Damage posted:

After mentioning it in the Management Game thread I started a new Warptorio save and holy poo poo I had forgotten how unforgiving it is when you play solo. The author does warn you that the mod is really meant to be played multiplayer because you'll easily get task overloaded solo. Fortunately there are a few settings you can tweak to make it easier for a solo player, especially letting you start with a box containing some ammo, a couple of turrets and other helpful things.

I'm on planet 6 now and starting to run low on ammo. :ohdear:

I watched a couple of videos on that mod, and read about it, and it has exactly 0 appeal to me. Factorio is a chilling game for me, I'll never get any of the timed achievements.. and I only play solo.

BulletHole
Aug 20, 2003
"I own this fat j-bag, oh yes i do." Sehnsucht
I'm planning to start a Freight Forwarding game and want a middle-weight overhaul mod to combine it with. I've done K2 a bunch of times. Is there any other mod of similar weight/scope that would be good to combine with FF?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

BulletHole posted:

I'm planning to start a Freight Forwarding game and want a middle-weight overhaul mod to combine it with. I've done K2 a bunch of times. Is there any other mod of similar weight/scope that would be good to combine with FF?

Maybe 248k?

BulletHole
Aug 20, 2003
"I own this fat j-bag, oh yes i do." Sehnsucht
That one does look interesting, I'll have to try it!

...though maybe not on my Freight Forwarding run as I now see it claims to only offer compatibility with vanilla and K2. Oops.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
It might still work okay with 248k. It specifically doesn’t introduce new ores, only new processes that create new things from those ores.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The Locator posted:

I watched a couple of videos on that mod, and read about it, and it has exactly 0 appeal to me. Factorio is a chilling game for me, I'll never get any of the timed achievements.. and I only play solo.
Different strokes. :) Warptorio definitely changes the game at its core. You have to unlearn a lot of things that you've learned from the normal game, such as automating always being better than hand crafting. You spend a lot of time doing hand crafting and manual insertion, especially in the early game before you've unlocked the platform's sub-floors.

In my current game I had researched about a dozen other technologies before I researched Automation because when you start with a goodie chest (pretty much mandatory if you play solo) you get 2 assemblers and they're all you need for the first half dozen planets. Both are producing ammunition for me.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

Different strokes. :) Warptorio definitely changes the game at its core. You have to unlearn a lot of things that you've learned from the normal game, such as automating always being better than hand crafting. You spend a lot of time doing hand crafting and manual insertion, especially in the early game before you've unlocked the platform's sub-floors.

In my current game I had researched about a dozen other technologies before I researched Automation because when you start with a goodie chest (pretty much mandatory if you play solo) you get 2 assemblers and they're all you need for the first half dozen planets. Both are producing ammunition for me.

Yup.. that's one of the really cool things about the game, is that the engine is so flexible and mod-friendly that the community can make mods that turn it into almost a completely different game to appeal to all kinds of different people. I didn't mean to sound critical of people playing that mod, if that is indeed how my post came across.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

The Locator posted:

Yup.. that's one of the really cool things about the game, is that the engine is so flexible and mod-friendly that the community can make mods that turn it into almost a completely different game to appeal to all kinds of different people. I didn't mean to sound critical of people playing that mod, if that is indeed how my post came across.

Yeah, I normally play with biters off to just chill and grow a sweet factory making widgets. But Warptorio is one of my favorite mods of all time for the way it flips the paradigm in to a space and time economy game from a grow-completely-out-of-hand game. Warping in and the biters go "REAL poo poo?!" while you try to take as much poo poo from them really tickled me. I haven't gone back top lay it again, mind, but I do think back fondly on it.

I started playing Nullius and i'm about 7 hours in and oh boy am I in absolute Pipe Hell. So many fluids, so many of them not voidable, completely different ratios between them in terms of what is produced vs what I need to use in my early tech, needed in a bunch of different places in the factory. Even water is complex - seawater, saline water, water, brine, sludge, wastewater - each with different uses and all sorts of ways to shuffle them in to each other. guess I'm spoiled in Vanilla where I already know what industries to cluster together based on inputs and how they relate to each other and I'm just totally in the weeds here.

Tried setting up Editor Extensions this morning for a test bed but it kept crashing. Not sure what that's about. Settled on Blueprint Sandboxes which seems like it is providing me what I'm looking for - a separate area to try to get a handle on what the gently caress is going on.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah I really think seablock has an undeserved or rather outdated rep.

Outdated, definitely. It had years of updates and is still in sort-of-active development and is a perfectly solid modpack if you just want to chill.

Unless it's Marathon. Seablock with expert costs is FunTM.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

MerrMan posted:

Yeah, I normally play with biters off to just chill and grow a sweet factory making widgets. But Warptorio is one of my favorite mods of all time for the way it flips the paradigm in to a space and time economy game from a grow-completely-out-of-hand game. Warping in and the biters go "REAL poo poo?!" while you try to take as much poo poo from them really tickled me. I haven't gone back top lay it again, mind, but I do think back fondly on it.

I started playing Nullius and i'm about 7 hours in and oh boy am I in absolute Pipe Hell. So many fluids, so many of them not voidable, completely different ratios between them in terms of what is produced vs what I need to use in my early tech, needed in a bunch of different places in the factory. Even water is complex - seawater, saline water, water, brine, sludge, wastewater - each with different uses and all sorts of ways to shuffle them in to each other. guess I'm spoiled in Vanilla where I already know what industries to cluster together based on inputs and how they relate to each other and I'm just totally in the weeds here.

Tried setting up Editor Extensions this morning for a test bed but it kept crashing. Not sure what that's about. Settled on Blueprint Sandboxes which seems like it is providing me what I'm looking for - a separate area to try to get a handle on what the gently caress is going on.

The only fluids you can't seem to void is anything chlorine related. Everything else goes out of a chimney or fluid void just fine. It makes some sense: chlorine is heavier than air. It's also, as mentioned, really annoying. You have to mix hydrogen chloride or hydrochloric acid with caustic solution (Sodium Hydroxide) to make brine or saline water. Of course how do you make caustic solution? Out of the leftovers from saline electrolysis you used to make the chlorine!

I'm still going by every now and then to empty chlorine tanks by picking them up as I haven't figured out the most efficient setup to end up with a chlorine-negative system.

Edit: Just realized I'm a dummy and I have a station production extra caustic solution by the trainload I could send around to where I'm producing extra chlorine. Why/how am I producing extra caustic solution? It's where I dump all my excess gravel/mineral dust via melting it with hydrochloric acid.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 17, 2023

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Chlorine will never not be an issue, there comes a time when you switch from "how do I get rid of this crap" to "oh god how do I get more of this crap".

And then probably back! And forth! Multiple times!

For a somewhat early-game but flexible solution to disposal look for calcium chloride, it's a voidable product made using limestone, and IME more scalable than caustic.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Alkydere posted:

The only fluids you can't seem to void is anything chlorine related. Everything else goes out of a chimney or fluid void just fine. It makes some sense: chlorine is heavier than air. It's also, as mentioned, really annoying. You have to mix hydrogen chloride or hydrochloric acid with caustic solution (Sodium Hydroxide) to make brine or saline water. Of course how do you make caustic solution? Out of the leftovers from saline electrolysis you used to make the chlorine!

I'm still going by every now and then to empty chlorine tanks by picking them up as I haven't figured out the most efficient setup to end up with a chlorine-negative system.

Edit: Just realized I'm a dummy and I have a station production extra caustic solution by the trainload I could send around to where I'm producing extra chlorine. Why/how am I producing extra caustic solution? It's where I dump all my excess gravel/mineral dust via melting it with hydrochloric acid.

No need to deconstruct tanks to clear them, they have a delete button now.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Peepers posted:

Chlorine will never not be an issue, there comes a time when you switch from "how do I get rid of this crap" to "oh god how do I get more of this crap".

And then probably back! And forth! Multiple times!

For a somewhat early-game but flexible solution to disposal look for calcium chloride, it's a voidable product made using limestone, and IME more scalable than caustic.

Yup! Also on my to-do list is to start boiling sea water down to sludge to add a constant sludge output to constantly be mixing with HCL for an output of sand and crushed iron.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-373

quote:

Hello, long time no see!
Today we are going to talk about the expansion which is called Factorio: Space Age.
[...]
Lets start with the (probably) bad news. Since we know where we are and what is the goal, we can start to approximate the date of releasing the expansion, which is planned to be about one year from now. It is still a long time, but at least it is getting more specific.
[...]
But then there is the (hopefully) good news! From now on, we are stopping the embargo on the expansion content, and we will be publishing Friday Facts every week about all the different aspects of the expansion until release!

We will mostly show what we have done, or what we are working on. We are also looking forward to the feedback from the community which has proved useful so many times already. With the quantity of things we have, I'm confident that we won't run out of topics until the release.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 25, 2023

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-373

Space Age details blog. I had kinda forgotten about it, to be honest, but it looks interesting.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

That space platform looks grossly organic, especially the engines. Neat.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

It's neat that you just jettison the separated rock after processing asteroids. I wonder if there's some mechanic where you don't deplete asteroid fields, but eventually 90% of what you pick up is waste material it's not economical to harvest there anymore.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I can't decide if cliff explosives research moved to planet exploration is hilarious or ick.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Well drat, I thought I'd moved on from Factorio after many good years and now this is gonna suck me right back in

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
It's funny that they have a whole section with "no this is not a space exploration ripoff". They knew it was coming.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

zedprime posted:

I can't decide if cliff explosives research moved to planet exploration is hilarious or ick.

I unironically hope they either remove the option to disable cliffs with the expansion enabled or make cliffs have some kind of benefit where it would be a large handicap to not have them (Hydro power? Some cliff-only resource?).

Apropos of nothing, here is a screenshot from my current Py game that is finally close to unlocking cliff explosives.

:smithicide:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
As far as I can tell cliffs exist so that you build cliff explosives to get rid of them, which isn't exactly interesting. Moving the final tier of modules kind of sucks but mass production of them was already pretty megabasey and I'd imagine the expansion completely changes what a megabase means.

Overall, I'm very stoked to be able to play SE without having to deal with SE.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Mailer posted:

As far as I can tell cliffs exist so that you build cliff explosives to get rid of them, which isn't exactly interesting. Moving the final tier of modules kind of sucks but mass production of them was already pretty megabasey and I'd imagine the expansion completely changes what a megabase means.

I always turn cliffs off, because they are annoying and explosives to blow up cliffs is something that mankind had while we were still building poo poo with mules and steam powered diggers (example: Panama Canal) so with the kind of technology even in the early stages of Factorio the terrain should be a non-issue IMO.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Space Factorio, but I am very much going to wait and see how much, if any, of Erendel's terrible ideas (like robots failing randomly) make it into this thing. I'll probably buy it anyway just to support WUBE given the crazy number of hours I've got into this game.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Mailer posted:

They can also be used to help make choke points early in the game when resources are tight.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The Locator posted:

I always turn cliffs off, because they are annoying and explosives to blow up cliffs is something that mankind had while we were still building poo poo with mules and steam powered diggers (example: Panama Canal) so with the kind of technology even in the early stages of Factorio the terrain should be a non-issue IMO.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Space Factorio, but I am very much going to wait and see how much, if any, of Erendel's terrible ideas (like robots failing randomly) make it into this thing. I'll probably buy it anyway just to support WUBE given the crazy number of hours I've got into this game.

I expect that all player unfriendly antics native to the mod maker's broken brain will get curbed by Wube's actually giving a poo poo, they seem pretty good about that.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Arrath posted:

I expect that all player unfriendly antics native to the mod maker's broken brain will get curbed by Wube's actually giving a poo poo, they seem pretty good about that.

This is why I said that I am cautiously optimistic!

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Samesies.

WUBE can have another 20-30 dollars from me, even if I don't end up playing the expansion.

I don't know who I'm kidding, I've gone through most of the major modpacks (besides Py), of course I'm going to do at least one run-through.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
In that Friday Facts there's a whole section of Earendel with hat in hand explaining Space X is for experienced challenge seekers (lol) while Space Age is more Factorio for normal Factorio players.

I am obviously going to play Space Age but how excited I get is going to depend on how neat the beyond Factorio stuff is which is where I am most holding my optimism back. There's been a lot of really good factory builders doing things with or without belts and logibots so just massively manufacturing is starting to look a little pedestrian to me.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
That's hilarious that they got the space exploration dev involved. I can't imagine a scenario where he doesn't double down on some bullshit mechanic.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
He’s pretty much just doing art and assets at wube I believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Mailer posted:

IIRC, the original idea for cliffs was to mix up early-to-mid-game designs a bit by giving people obstacles to build around, with cliff explosives being available to clear some empty space in the later-game when you're just stamping big blueprints around everywhere and letting bots handle the details.