Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

AlbertFlasher posted:

I don't think the Jays are going to make the playoffs this year. They've been way to inconsistent to do it. This team is so frustrating to watch.

If they could just be lousy against the AL East rather than dogshit...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saccharus
Jan 9, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
If the 06 cardinals could win the World Series then no playoff team should ever consider themselves to have no shot

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Poque posted:

there's no way Phil Nevin is managing the Angels in 2024, right?
You say that but I don’t think anyone can predict Arte Moreno

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Phil Nevin seems like a bad manager because he got Mike Trout injured.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Phil Nevin is an old-school hardass that shouldn't have been kept on after being the interim manager in 2022 and deliberately starting a fight with the Mariners. Dude sucks rear end.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

AlbertFlasher posted:

I don't think the Jays are going to make the playoffs this year. They've been way to inconsistent to do it. This team is so frustrating to watch.

On one hand maybe Atkins and Shapiro gets fired. On the other Kenny Williams is a free agent and he was Eddie Rogers' first choice when they got rid of Beeston soooooo

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

On one hand maybe Atkins and Shapiro gets fired. On the other Kenny Williams is a free agent and he was Eddie Rogers' first choice when they got rid of Beeston soooooo

:barf:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

More weed LESS baseball????
yeah that's a real gently caress up on op's part

two great tastes, better together

saccharus posted:

Listen man if I could explain it I would

I think it makes baseball a little better but cartoons and 4x games way better, so they pass the Yankees in my evening priorities
imagine if you could take the already-sky-high anxiety and dread of postseason baseball, but add weed anxiety on top of it

wait maybe you have a point

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 25, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmmmm.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1694859519619133456

How does Jerry feel about deferred money????

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1694859519619133456

How does Jerry feel about deferred money????

I'm guessing Lerner, Jr. isn't as in love with Rizzo as Lerner, Sr. was?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1694788121756635197

Not insured? Good lord.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Wow Stras must be absolutely cooked if he's being allowed to retire on medicals with the Nats still fully on the hook for his outstanding money.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
He probably wasn't insurable. It's not like he's ever been healthy.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The timing of Williams and Hahn's sackings probably coincide with Rizzo calling Reinsdorf up and saying "hey man I'm about to sign a big extension with the Nats, unless?"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

live with fruit posted:

He probably wasn't insurable. It's not like he's ever been healthy.

I would not sign uninsurable players to 250m/7y deals.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

zoux posted:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

From what it sounds like Stras is basically crippled for life in his dominant hand so the least the Nats can do is make sure he's comfortable for the rest of his natural life.

poo poo sucks, man.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

zoux posted:

Hope your org finds another way to cheat then

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

zoux posted:

Winning the World Series is a helluva drug.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think it had previously been reported the contract was uninsurable a few months back when it came out that Strasburg was probably not going to ever pitch again

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The Nats presumably accepted he'd never play again and chose to just bite the bullet to open up a 40 man spot?

Or just end the speculation

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

live with fruit posted:

Winning the World Series is a helluva drug.

I guess, our fanbase certainly isn't complacently basking in our championship, they are constantly demanding the execution of the bastard Dusty Baker.

Well Played Mauer posted:

Hope your org finds another way to cheat then

We don't sign anyone to 7 year deals :) Don't want to end up in a Giancarlo Stanton situation.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Intruder posted:

The Nats presumably accepted he'd never play again and chose to just bite the bullet to open up a 40 man spot?

Or just end the speculation

As long as he's on the 60day IL he doesn't take up a roster spot.

There is a point in time during the offseason it matters but just barely.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

zoux posted:

I guess, our fanbase certainly isn't complacently basking in our championship, they are constantly demanding the execution of the bastard Dusty Baker.

It wears off but they signed Strasburg like six weeks later.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I didn't know that also applies to the 40 man

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

I always liked Strasburg.

I watched his first career start against the Pirates and he absolutely killed them. I remember he was throwing this 12-6 curveball that nobody could hit.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Bregor posted:

They dropped the “of Anaheim” and are now a curse’d franchise

They became a cursed franchise when Arte told Torii Hunter that he didn't have the 2/25M it would take to keep him as an Angel for the rest of his career. He would have been the mentor Trout needed to be a bigger voice in the clubhouse instead of Pujols' lead by example style. Everyone knows that speeches win championships. Torii was a fan favorite and was coming off a career year.

Instead Arte went and gave 5/125M to Josh Hamilton. Torii would go on to hit 295/327/456 in his 2 years in Detroit.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

A player like Strasburg doesn't have to be on the 40-man during the season (he's on the 60-day IL) but in the offseason he does. Which effectively reduces you to a 39 man roster, which is undesirable since most teams use the entire 40-man to avoid losing young players they value in the Rule 5 draft.

Who knows though whether that's why the Nats decided to eat $170 million or if it's just because the medical proof that he'll never pitch again is incontrovertible and they'd lose in court.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Shohei tears his elbow and bats in the next game. Rendon fouls a ball off his foot and misses the entire season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BeyondTheHalo/status/1695112724756517360?s=20

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Do clubs have any recourse if a guy is loitering on the IL?

Aside from cutting his sorry rear end, of course.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

lol Rendon was open about not even liking baseball when he was still with the Nats. Surprised he didn't pull a Jeff King and retire the day he hit 10 years service time

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 25, 2023

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Malingering to get out of work is good, actually.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Yeah Rendon had a Jokic-esque “This is just my job and no one likes their job,” so this isn’t too surprising. He always seemed professional enough, though. I didn’t think he’d become this much of a stain about it.

Just going to remember the good times…

https://twitter.com/Sam4TR/status/1189730387041243137?s=20

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Robert Suarez got popped for sticky stuff, pending appeal

Padres season going better and better

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

then again if $200 million were on the line Jeff King would probably have stuck around and milked injuries too

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Monathin posted:

From what it sounds like Stras is basically crippled for life in his dominant hand so the least the Nats can do is make sure he's comfortable for the rest of his natural life.

poo poo sucks, man.

Yeah I read today apparently he can barely open doors with his right hand because of all the nerve damage, absolutely brutal stuff. Hopefully he can recover enough to at least live a normal life.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dinosaurs! posted:

Yeah Rendon had a Jokic-esque “This is just my job and no one likes their job,” so this isn’t too surprising. He always seemed professional enough, though. I didn’t think he’d become this much of a stain about it.

Just going to remember the good times…

https://twitter.com/Sam4TR/status/1189730387041243137?s=20

Those were bad times actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

There is a point in time during the offseason it matters but just barely.

Putting someone on the the 60 day IL does remove them from the 40 man roster, but only during the season. They have to go back on the 40 man when the post season ends. There's no 60 day IL in the offseason.