Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Korea's flipping their poo poo about it too but no one cares.

That's because Korea is an awful country that nobody likes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

ili posted:

That's because Korea is an awful country that nobody likes.

Poland loves their military hardware

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Korea has four seasons.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
They also have glorious Dokdo, did you know?

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

Korea has four seasons.

And all of them are just terrible, absolutely pitiful.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Grand Fromage posted:

Japanese fish is too radioactive. Now hold on while we open 20 coal power plants this week.

China routinely dumps 10x more radioactive wastewater into their own waters ever year, but that's okay because their radiation is different

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/aug/25/fukushima-daiichi-nuclear-power-plant-china-wastewater-release

Korea complained about it but now says they accept the UN's conclusion

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its just protectionism. neo-mercantilism is alive and well in asia, which is a large part of why asia got richer, because anti-mercantilists hold sway in the west

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

Korea's flipping their poo poo about it too but no one cares.

Fondly remembering when maps were being passed around in Korea of how most of Japan was uninhabitable nuclear wasteland, and multiple Korean friends begging me to cancel a trip to Osaka because I was going to die from radiation.

You should tell them to watch out for fans if they don't want to die

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

je1 healthcare posted:

China routinely dumps 10x more radioactive wastewater into their own waters ever year, but that's okay because their radiation is different

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/aug/25/fukushima-daiichi-nuclear-power-plant-china-wastewater-release

Korea complained about it but now says they accept the UN's conclusion

quote:

China’s Fuqing power plant in Fujian province releases about three times more tritium into the Pacific than the planned Fukushima discharge. Beijing appears to be basing its distinction on Japan’s discharge having originated from a nuclear disaster.

“There is a fundamental difference between the nuclear-contaminated water that came into direct contact with the melted reactor cores in the Fukushima nuclear disaster and the water released by nuclear power plants in normal operation,” China’s foreign ministry spokesperson, Wang Wenbin, said on Wednesday. “They are different in nature, come from different sources and require different levels of sophistication to handle.”

You weren't kidding

quote:

On Thursday, China’s ministry of foreign affairs was asked why it was banning only seafood imports from Japan, given their stated scientific concerns about water contamination should also apply to the seas around Russia and South Korea. Wang did not answer, instead repeating accusations that Japan had “turned itself into a saboteur of the ecological system and polluter of the ocean”.

"Great question, let's get back to why Japan is awful though."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That Fuqing power plant is nothing but trouble.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I think it's an excuse to buy Russian seafood

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
It’s probably going to be ok?? But tepco is shady as gently caress, yes tritium released is within international organizational specifications, but are there other kinds meltdown contaminants released?

Being tepco, the first batch of water released will be handled properly but after a while once the issue fades from public oversight, who the gently caress knows tepco will do.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
The way tepco hired the cleanup crew was also another poo poo storm.

Excerpts from this article

quote:

https://www.corpwatch.org/article/tokyo-electric-power-company-admits-fukushima-failures

Even then the company flatly denied that the ground water that flooded the basements of the damaged reactor buildings has been leaking into the ocean, resulting in elevated levels of radioactive cesium and strontium that are dangerous to human health.

Last week the company acknowledged the groundwater contamination causing Shunichi Tanaka, the chair of the Japanese nuclear energy oversight body, to raise the danger rating of Fukushima from one to three on a zero to seven scale of the International Nuclear and Radiological Event Scale (INES).

Government officials say that they are very unhappy with Tepco. "We've allowed Tokyo Electric to deal with the contaminated water situation on its own and they've essentially turned it into a game of 'Whack-a-Mole,'" Toshimitsu Motegi, the Japanese trade minister, told reporters earlier this week. "From now on, the government will move to the forefront."

And then tepco got freaking bailed out by the government to keep on running its operations.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
I’m not happy with Tepco, and there’s definitely room for more accountability in terms of environmental regulation and nuclear power in China.

Nuclear power and renewables is the future instead of burning fossil fuels.

There’s a lot of progress made when it comes to cleaning up rivers and climate change is forcing cities and municipalities here deal with flood control. I’m actually quite impressed with the improvements made over the years considering the rest of the world outsourced their pollution here (and still kinda do).

Just let me drink tap water and ban more single used plastics

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Grand Fromage posted:

Japanese fish is too radioactive. Now hold on while we open 20 coal power plants this week.

Those coal plants will be putting more uranium into the environment than the Fukushima plant ever will.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Those coal plants will be putting more uranium into the environment than the Fukushima plant ever will.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Please stop using hydro carbons :( at least just use oil for fuel tankers and airplanes.

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

here in Korea I hear noise about stop eating seafood from Japan etc.. then nobody follows through lol.

In other news the Korean chud president and conservatives keep making terrible gaffs, it sucks cause since theyve come into power there will be these horrible accidents causing deaths (Itaewon crush, flooding of Gangnam, that tunnel flood where people died) just because the conservatives neglect to govern or do their jobs at all. The latest was this scout jamboree thing where all these international scouts came, I think like 45,000? The people running the thing were begging for help but got no answer from up the ladder, so all these scouts basically got stuck in a blazing swamp woth 10 portapotties and nothing but boiled eggs to eat. Then the bitchmade president turns around and blames the previous admin and starts trying to censor media.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
The goss I heard argued re: the Gangnam flood was that Park Won-soon, the then-Mayor of Seoul, cancelled the drainage improvement projects -

quote:

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2023/08/113_95993.html

They vowed that if Park is elected Seoul mayor they will push for a drastic cut in the construction budget for what they call “city beautification” while expanding the budget to provide free school meals to all primary and secondary school students in Seoul.

(said free school meals being the flagship issue the previous mayor ran on cutting as an issue of confidence, stepping down when a vote to reduce free school meals was defeated)

post-democratization S. Korea has a problem somewhat resembling post-democratization Taiwan: lots of veto points and scepticism of urban civil engineering, because construction company patronage (and using party-controlled trade unions as muscle) remain in living memory. Conversely, when conservatives take power they forget they don't have the entire party-state-executive monolith behind them any more and try to engage in transformative crash programme megaprojects they don't have either the budget or expertise to execute

ronya fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 26, 2023

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

A secretary at our school was at that scouts thing with some of our students, she said it sucked hard

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

ronya posted:

The goss I heard argued re: the Gangnam flood was that Park Won-soon, the then-Mayor of Seoul, cancelled the drainage improvement projects

Here's a quote I pulled from "The Blue Roof". So apparently O Sehun was mayor before Wonsoon in 2011, and floods happened under him then too. This passage doesnt mention Park

quote:

Seoul’s Gangnam area, which lies on land reclaimed from a low-lying marsh, always experienced some degree of flooding during the monsoon season. But constant, fastidious management of Seoul’s massive water pumping system prevented fatalities. Not until conservative mayor O Se-hun 오세훈 took office in June 2022 and slashed the budget for flood prevention did people begin drowning in Seoul during the monsoon season. Seeking to deflect the blame, O latched onto the fact that many of the deceased lived in semi-basement apartments, which he pledged to eliminate at the time.

I wikid him and because he is a big proponent of tap water drinking people started calling him Oseidon when the floods happened lol

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
People died in the 2011 flooding, where O Se-hoon was mayor then too; albeit the cause was more landslides than basement apartments.

Really has a thing for water, and the feeling is mutual, it seems?

ronya fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 26, 2023

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cwh9mboob85/

glad folks are calling the cops in japan over some hurt feelings

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
those cops have the patience of saint francis with that crybaby

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

An entire nation of Karens.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

vanity slug posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cwh9mboob85/

glad folks are calling the cops in japan over some hurt feelings

The real treat is the brief cameo of the shop owner. Dude looks like a living anime character.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

5er posted:

The real treat is the brief cameo of the shop owner. Dude looks like a living anime character.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The guy is definitely a Karen but it also kind of begs the question of "why did he need to do this" with the sign unless it's a sort of passive aggressive "stay out, Chinese people" kind of thing.

The fact that the owner looks like a Jojo character probably doesn't help his case there either

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Toxic Mental posted:

The guy is definitely a Karen but it also kind of begs the question of "why did he need to do this" with the sign unless it's a sort of passive aggressive "stay out, Chinese people" kind of thing.

The fact that the owner looks like a Jojo character probably doesn't help his case there either

China has been making a big stink about the Fukushima nuclear plant's plans to finally release some contaminated waste water and the like into the surrounding ocean for several months now, ramping up in recent weeks to the point of banning Japanese seafood over the issue.

He may have already received some complaints, or may just be anticipating them, given things are still heating up.

Could also just be a jerk!

Given Japan's history (and still going) of signs specifically telling Chinese people (often along with certain other nationalities) to gently caress off on Japanese businesses, it's a bit more of a heated issue than a random one in a place with no history of that sort of thing, so I can't completely fault this Karen dude, but at the same time, there are actual kind of legit reasons that Chinese people may be specifically mentioned in a 'If you're fine with this, come on in, if you're not, feel free to eat elsewhere' sign.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I was in akihabara years ago and some stores had warning signs about shoplifting in chinese only

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
China has published their new Standard Map of the borders. India is very upset about some of the new borders.

The 9 dash line is dead, long live the 10 dash line.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i wonder if theres some way ancient historians can band together to tell india and china in the himalayas to do some proper phalanxes so we can tell how peeps fight in them for keeps

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Toxic Mental posted:

It’s probably a reaction to the big news in Japan the past few days: the thousands and thousands of crank calls coming from China related to the Fukushima water release.

TEPCO alone is apparently receiving 6,000 calls a day, which whatever, gently caress them anyway. But totally unrelated organizations are also getting harassed:

Angry Chinese callers harassing small Japanese zoo over treated water release

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Yeah I know about that, I'm just saying this business owner *might* be using the recent news as a green light to basically tell Chinese patrons that they aren't welcome. One figures that they would already know at this point, so specifically mentioning it seems sort of sus, with a side of plausible deniability.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Why don’t you call him and ask?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
A Japanese business owner xenophobic? Say it ain't so!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Ganguro King posted:

totally unrelated organizations are also getting harassed

some wumao account even posted a complaint about it in the normally completely dormant Oakland restaurant rec subreddit

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Stink Billyums posted:

I was in akihabara years ago and some stores had warning signs about shoplifting in chinese only

the big don quijote's in osaka has a "do not defacate in the urinals" sign. the largest text is in english, but the second-largest text is in chinese

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Fur20 posted:

the big don quijote's in osaka has a "do not defacate in the urinals" sign. the largest text is in english, but the second-largest text is in chinese

:911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Toxic Mental posted:

Yeah I know about that, I'm just saying this business owner *might* be using the recent news as a green light to basically tell Chinese patrons that they aren't welcome. One figures that they would already know at this point, so specifically mentioning it seems sort of sus, with a side of plausible deniability.

so, overtly exclusionary stuff like that IS illegal in japan. merchants can refuse to serve someone for any/an unspecified reason, but refusing to serve someone based on their race or nationality is illegal. same duality we have in the US. eateries can post "we reserve the right to refuse to seat anyone" in order to tell smelly poors to go away, but if, in practice, they apply it only to black people, then it's a problem.

even when i was doing business in China my ability to read Chinese was limited to my specific field and circumstances, this long out of the game it's basically nothing. so i have to go with the cops' reading of it that it's just an alert because the Chinese guy seems to agree that's what it says. he is simply saying that because it's only in chinese, and there isn't a similar posting in Japanese/Korean/Thai as well, it's exclusionary. that's a fairly awkward claim to make even if you ignore the recent news trends. taking into account the recent news trends, it's more or less completely fatuous.

it doesn't absolve the shop owner of potentially being a racist. it's the SEA sphere, after all. everyone's racist against everyone else full time out there. but it does mean that the video poster is a whiny baby causing trouble first and foremost.