Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

rotor posted:

if it aint broke dont fix it imo

Client was complaining it often went down for a minute or two.

rotor posted:

if you just need a little service to just be there all the time, I can imagine far worse solutions than an iPad in kiosk mode or whatever they call it

all the stuff is backed up, easy to swap out if the hardware fails

No backup or rescue procedure was in place. The entire site would have to shut down if anything happened to the load bearing iPad.

Also if anyone tapped the iPad it would exit from the specific screen/app it needed to be on in order to keep running.

I don't believe they were using Kiosk mode, but I'm not sure.

Wayne Knight posted:

normalize downtime

"Site's not working right now, maybe later"

When I say site I mean physical site. Consumer facing brick and mortar store. All operations in that site that would have potentially hundreds of people in it depend on the iPad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Votskomit posted:

Client was complaining it often went down for a minute or two.

well sounds like it WAS broken then

mystes
May 31, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you gotta live in b2b land to do that. peeps go nuts about anything b2c goin down
Are corporations peeps?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
a metaphysical mantle peeps wear to scare other peeps and defend themselves while doin violence. like an intimidating suit of armor

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
two peeps in the arena, circling around each other, trying riposte and counter with their lawyers to try to pierce the corporate veil. "en garde! you have been served!"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_609ki-jQk&t=19s

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

rotor posted:

but which peeps go nuts? the actual customers (gently caress em, also they probably dont actually care) or the product people (also gently caress em, but for different reasons) who act like every minute of downtime costs the company millions in reputational damage?

ime its the b2b poo poo where customers absolutely go apeshit over any error, whether it impacts them or not, because this means they have more leverage to renegotiate their contract pricing.

i’m the point man for a customer that absolutely FLIPS at the slightest disturbance for exactly this reason. i want to find the rear end in a top hat who let it slip to them that they’re 15% of our revenue and them

they’re so bad that they don’t even have a staging environment because they know i have to drop everything and fix their poo poo no matter what. adding 25% more data into a cluster that’s already being pushed to its limit? gently caress it! ship it and let their TAM deal with it

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

idk terraform is one of those things dev ops peeps are oddly passionate about and i never questioned it because i really hate dev ops stuff

I'm going for AZ-104 and asked in /r/azure what the hell people even use all these VMs for and why they need multiple programming languages to automate deploying VMs.

Most of the people there said they don't use Azure VMs at all and just use containers and functions.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

joke’s on them though we financed an independent benchmark and now know their threats of hopping to another vendor are hot air. combine that with them publicly signing massive gov’t contracts so we know they’re good for the money now. the next contract renewal my sales guy is being unchained to do the monster mash on their asses and i won’t feel the least bit bad about it

maybe if they weren’t colossal abusive dicks for the past year we would have ONLY hit them with the kind of considerable ‘market adjustment’ that we’re dropping on everyone’s laps. nope. sorry assholes. literally everyone in this company loathes you guys. no mercy at all. we’re going larry ellison on your asses

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

turns out the group buying up a bunch of land in solano county and sending out fliers to solano county residents about what theyd think about building a new town from scratch on ag-zoned land is a whos who of tech goblin oligarchs. this has been something the sf chronicle has been covering for the last few weeks and was even written about in the wsj recently.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/25/...&smid=url-share

quote:

In 2017, Michael Moritz, the billionaire venture capitalist, sent a note to a potential investor about what he described as an unusual opportunity: a chance to invest in the creation of a new California city.

The site was in a corner of the San Francisco Bay Area where land was cheap. Mr. Moritz and others had dreams of transforming tens of thousands of acres into a bustling metropolis that, according to the pitch, could generate thousands of jobs and be as walkable as Paris or the West Village in New York.

He painted a kind of urban blank slate where everything from design to construction methods and new forms of governance could be rethought. And it would all be a short distance from San Francisco and Silicon Valley. “Let me know if this tickles your fancy,” he said in the note, a copy of which was reviewed by The New York Times.

Since then, a company called Flannery Associates has been buying large plots of land in a largely agricultural region 60 miles northeast of San Francisco. The company, which has little information public about its operations, has committed more than $800 million to secure thousands of acres of farmland, court documents show. One parcel after another, Flannery made offers to every landowner for miles, paying several times the market rate, whether the land had been listed for sale or not.

Flannery is the brainchild of Jan Sramek, 36, a former Goldman Sachs trader who has quietly courted some of the tech industry’s biggest names as investors, according to the pitch and people familiar with the matter. The company’s ambitions expand on the 2017 pitch: Take an arid patch of brown hills cut by a two-lane highway between suburbs and rural land, and convert into it into a community with tens of thousands of residents, clean energy, public transportation and dense urban life.

The company’s investors, whose identities have not been previously reported, are a who’s who of Silicon Valley, according to three people who were not authorized to speak publicly about the plans.

They include Mr. Moritz; Reid Hoffman, the LinkedIn co-founder, venture capitalist and Democratic donor; Marc Andreessen and Chris Dixon, investors at the Andreessen Horowitz venture capital firm; Patrick and John Collison, the sibling co-founders of the payments company Stripe; Laurene Powell Jobs, founder of the Emerson Collective; and Nat Friedman and Daniel Gross, entrepreneurs turned investors. Andreessen Horowitz is also a backer. It was unclear how much each had invested.

...As Flannery began seeking property, it bought so much land, so fast, that it spooked locals who had no idea who the buyer was or the plans it had in mind. Catherine Moy, the mayor of Fairfield, Calif., started posting about the project on Facebook several years ago after she got a call from a farmer about some mystery buyer making offers throughout the county. In an interview, Ms. Moy said she had gone to the county assessor’s office and found that Flannery had purchased tens of thousands of acres.

John Garamendi, a Democrat who along with Mike Thompson, another Democrat, represents the surrounding region in Congress, said he had been trying to figure out the company’s identity for four years.

“I couldn’t find out anything,” he said.

On Friday, he said that had suddenly changed. This week representatives for Flannery reached out to him and other elected officials requesting meetings about their plans. That meeting is now being scheduled, he said.

“This is their first effort, ever, to talk to any of the local representatives, myself included,” he said.

The land that Flannery has been purchasing is not zoned for residential use, and even in his 2017 pitch, Mr. Moritz acknowledged that rezoning could “clearly be challenging” — a nod to California’s notoriously difficult and litigious development process.

To pull off the project, the company will almost certainly have to use the state’s initiative system to get Solano County residents to vote on it. The hope is that voters will be enticed by promises of thousands of local jobs, increased tax revenue and investments in infrastructure like parks, a performing arts center, shopping, dining and a trade school.

The financial gains could be huge, Mr. Moritz said in the 2017 pitch. He estimated the return could be many times the initial investment just from the rezoning, and far more if and when they started building.

“They would come with an offer of four and five times over the market at the time,” Ms. Moy said. “They were deals that they couldn’t pass up.”

Flannery’s offers were creating multimillionaires across the county, but no one seemed to know what the mysterious company intended to do with land that now amounted to a large chunk of the entire county.

That changed last week, when residents started receiving texts and emails with a poll gauging their opinions on a number of questions. One asked them to rate the favorability of several names including “Joe Biden,” “Donald Trump” and “Flannery Associates.” Another question began with a description of a possible ballot initiative for a project that “would include a new city with tens of thousands of new homes, a large solar energy farm, orchards with over a million new trees, and over 10,000 acres of new parks and open space.”

edit: its a huge swath of land they want to build homes for 200k people on:

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 26, 2023

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
lol at the "increased tax revenue" bit in particular

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Broke: New California city
Woke: New California Republic

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

skooma512 posted:

Broke: New California city
Woke: New California Republic

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

You can totally cook a meal for a family of 4 in twenty minutes if you're american and the recipe is "dump three cans of stuff in a pan and mix it all up."

hell yeah

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

only works if your american though i guess

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tina tomatoes tina beans some mince (ground beef) and you’re 99% of the way to a meal that’ll make you say yum

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Used to be able to do most of this. gave it up for a career in tech tho

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Roosevelt posted:

only works if your american though i guess

australians are the americans of the southern hemisphere

i guess that make new zealand their canada

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

post hole digger posted:

turns out the group buying up a bunch of land in solano county and sending out fliers to solano county residents about what theyd think about building a new town from scratch on ag-zoned land is a whos who of tech goblin oligarchs. this has been something the sf chronicle has been covering for the last few weeks and was even written about in the wsj recently.

didn’t read lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

echinopsis posted:

tina tomatoes tina beans some mince (ground beef) and you’re 99% of the way to a meal that’ll make you say yum

please don't cook tina

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

post hole digger posted:

im the lot directly at the end of the air force base runway

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Shame Boy posted:

that one's reserved specifically for orphanages, fireworks warehouses, and teams of people carrying around plate glass windows

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Shame Boy posted:

lol it looks like its less than 2 miles

goddamn that would suck so bad

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

lol it looks like its less than 2 miles

goddamn that would suck so bad

i didn't even mean that one i meant the one on the other end, which appears to be literally bordering the end of the runway (assuming the runway continues across the entire air force base)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Shame Boy posted:

i didn't even mean that one i meant the one on the other end, which appears to be literally bordering the end of the runway (assuming the runway continues across the entire air force base)

oh i was assuming it was just the part that uhh looks like a runway lol

either way that's gotta suck out loud, plus the nyt article says there are constant droughts and therefore that area is high wildfire risk lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

google shows there's actually two runways and one of them does in fact end right at the edge of that lot lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i hope it doesn't get rezoned and a bunch of worthless "farmland" bankrupts them all

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also "humbee training" sounds like they get to use a power wheels or some poo poo

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i live kinda close to the flightpath of tampa international now but there's noise abatement rules and the routing seems to take them mostly over a parallel highway/commercial/warehouse area so it's really not bad, definitely not enough to notice unless you're really paying attention

i assume getting the military to do that poo poo, especially somewhere they haven't had to until you decided to build your dumb company town there or whatever, is prolly quite a bit harder

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

at the old apartment i was really close to the airport and directly under the approach path for the third runway that's at a right angle to the other two, which they rarely use (the chart says ATC has to give you explicit permission to use it, even) cuz it overflies a bunch of residential areas. so it was perfectly fine except like one day a month when they had to use it for whatever reason, at which point there would be a landing 737 flying incredibly, almost worryingly low passing over my apartment every 5-10 minutes. it was cool to see but also the buildings were kinda set up in a way that blocked the sound until it was RIGHT over you so a plane would just suddenly appear overhead flying really low with the landing gear out and the flaps down and all that

taking off they'd be much higher by the time they passed overhead so that wasn't a big deal, but landings were loud and terrifying

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
when i lived in jersey city there were at least 15 helicopters flying around the hudson at any given time up to like maybe almost a hundred around midday. it's very loving loud and never stops

not that a military base would necessarily be very similar, but the point is just a few helicopters can be extremely annoying

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

please don't cook tina

cooking tina is a great way to cure hunger though?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

just lol at irl galt’s gulch.

if it goes through they’ll build a bit for 5-10 years, interest will dry up, and it will become a ghost town

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

i hope it doesn't get rezoned and a bunch of worthless "farmland" bankrupts them all

your lips to god’s ears.

the farmers should form a group, block the incorporation, then buy back the land at a fraction of the cost

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Beeftweeter posted:

what is their plan here? do they think running a city is profitable?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BMan posted:

imagine the wages we could depress if people could live in cheap houses close enough to san francisco that we can force them to come into work

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BMan posted:

they think if they control the local government they can make it less regulated and more profitable

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

haveblue posted:

they think if they control the local government they can make it less regulated and more profitable

hey it worked great for disney until like this year

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

well running the city is a loss, but selling plots of land in techbrotopia to well-to-do computer touchers and executives is where you make the money. buy cheap farmland, make it “attractive”, sell for big return

of course since it’s not arising organically it’s doomed to fail, the stakeholders won’t be able to share power and nobody will want to live in their poorly run town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
in hindsight it was a bad idea to offer an infinite storage service in a world where you can convert storage into money with crypto bullshit

quote:

But over time, we found a growing number of customers were buying Advanced subscriptions not to run a business or organization, but instead for purposes like crypto and Chia mining, unrelated individuals pooling storage for personal use cases, or even instances of reselling storage. In recent months, we’ve seen a surge of this behavior in the wake of other services making similar policy changes. We’ve observed that customers like these frequently consume thousands of times more storage than our genuine business customers, which risks creating an unreliable experience for all of our customers. Importantly, our policy for Advanced has always been to provide as much storage as needed to run a legitimate business or organization, not to provide unlimited storage for any use case.