Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

small butter posted:

I'm 100% sure that if it came down to Trump and Vivek and maybe some other guy, Trump will call him something racist and Vivek will not have any self-reflection about how he came to this point.

You just know Trump is going to go with "Swami". And Vivek is just going to take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

KillHour posted:

I'm down for this but only if we tie it to life expectancy based on demographics and zip code. Poor black person in Alabama? Enjoy your early retirement. Rich white person? You can collect social security when you're 90.

Nah. True capitalism requires to work yourself into the grave or, at best, retire long after you're physically or mentally capable of enjoying that free time you earned.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
The main problem with the unreconstructed southern states is that all the white people vote Republican because Lyndon Johnson passed the civil rights act. If the white people get even a little more normal (like Georgia, whose white people are still more Republican than almost anywhere outside the south) they can be competitive, but I don't think there's much you can do when the state is 58% white and 58% Trump.

FCKGW posted:

Every single state blames Californians for coming in and ruining their state. Nothing is ever a local issue, it's always the people from California that are moving in and messing everything up.
Alas, this is the burden we must bear for being the greatest state in the nation.

Usually it's Republicans complaining about California transplants, but north Idaho was the bluest part until LAPD officers moved there after the 1992 riots.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

FCKGW posted:

Every single state blames Californians for coming in and ruining their state. Nothing is ever a local issue, it's always the people from California that are moving in and messing everything up.
Alas, this is the burden we must bear for being the greatest state in the nation.

I think of it more as our native assholes are enough trouble without having to deal with all of the Galt wannabes moving out here and giving us Ted loving Cruz as a Senator.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

James Garfield posted:

(like Georgia, whose white people are still more Republican than almost anywhere outside the south)

you got data for this? feels like the dakotas, wyoming, montana, and a lot of other places would be way worse skewed republican since they dont have an Atlanta equivalent to balance things out

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Tatsuta Age posted:

you got data for this? feels like the dakotas, wyoming, montana, and a lot of other places would be way worse skewed republican since they dont have an Atlanta equivalent to balance things out

You can look at exit polls by state on foxnews.com (exit polls aren't perfect, but it's enough to compare 80% vs 60%).

Georgia white people are 69% Republican, the Dakotas and Wyoming are about the same and Montana is 57%. The thing to remember is those kind of states are more or less all white so the final result and the white people vote are about the same, but Georgia is 33% black.

If you just looked at Atlanta the white people would be more Democratic than Wyoming, but Atlanta is making up for the neo confederates in the rest of the state.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Skex posted:

I think of it more as our native assholes are enough trouble without having to deal with all of the Galt wannabes moving out here and giving us Ted loving Cruz as a Senator.

This, but despite talking to so many assholes who call their home state Commiefornia, no one in California will ever believe that this is a real thing that happens and that’s why it keeps getting mentioned

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This, but despite talking to so many assholes who call their home state Commiefornia, no one in California will ever believe that this is a real thing that happens and that’s why it keeps getting mentioned

California's untenable housing policies are causing people to move from high-cost areas to low cost areas, that's a fact. However, the narrative is always simultaneously that people from California are moving to a state and turning it blue while they're also moving to a state and turning it red. Whatever swings in political demographics can always be blamed on those migrating Californians.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Young Freud posted:

And yet, there's only one Arby's within a 20-25 minute drive from where I live, but 8 Subway's within 10 minutes.

Like Jesus, I love me some Arby's but I'm not really seeing it.

There's a reason for that. Subway, unlike basically any other chain, will approve every single franchise, even if they're directly across the street from each other.

FlamingLiberal posted:

That’s really huge and I’m sure employers are going to sue

Yeah it's going to get to SCOTUS and they're going to declare the NLRB unconstitutional, and in a rare doulbe-wammy decision, they're going to declare the rest of the regulatory state also unconstitutional

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

There's a reason for that. Subway, unlike basically any other chain, will approve every single franchise, even if they're directly across the street from each other.
Subway also does not have uncooked food nor do they require as many water and power hookups as a normal restaurant as all their food is pre-cooked, making opening a new franchise monumentally cheaper than having to buy say, a grill and fryers and heat lamps. Combo "lower barrier of entry" with "no protection from other franchisees cannibalizing you" and you get 10,000 Subways, all struggling to survive under their franchisee fees.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Young Freud posted:

Like Jesus, I love me some Arby's but I'm not really seeing it.

I always pictured Jesus as more of a Wendy's guy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Esplanade posted:

I always pictured Jesus as more of a Wendy's guy.

The Sermon on the Mount Drive-Thru Intercom

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Google Jeb Bush posted:

my local mall is being turned, in cooperation with the rest of the city, into something less mall-like

more restaurants and entertainment, and most of the clothes stores are still there because a lot of people including me like to, er, be able to try on clothes

We had one traditional, in door, mall fail years back. The Florida Community College system took over ownership and turned it into a campus. It's both nice inside and slightly disconcerting since they couldn't get rid of all the mall vibes.

FCKGW posted:

That's not true. We blame all 48 other Contiguous States, but mostly focus our hate in New England. Hawaii and Alaska are fine, and we recognize they're not sending their ancient invaders, unlike the rest of you assholes.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Excellent work
https://www.democracydocket.com/analysis/140-judges-later-senate-democrats-work-to-diversify-the-federal-judiciary/

quote:

President Joe Biden, with the leadership of Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Senator Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), has already barreled past his most recent predecessors with 97 federal judicial confirmations in the first two years of his term.

To better contextualize this number, former President Barack Obama confirmed 62 federal judges in his first two years in office, while former President Donald Trump, with the help of Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), confirmed 85 judges in the second half of Trump’s term.

At the start of the year, Senate Democrats recommitted to filling the remaining vacancies on the nation’s federal courts and they still have just over 80 vacancies to go. With less than two years left in Biden’s term, it’s a steep goal to reach.

But Senate Democrats have momentum. When the Senate left for its August recess, the Biden administration had confirmed a total of 140 federal judges, many of which are already deciding impactful cases, in and out of the democracy arena. Just this week, Biden appointee, U.S. District Judge for the Northern District of Georgia Sarah Geraghty used the power of her gavel to pause Georgia’s ban on gender-affirming care for transgender youth.

As conservatives have packed these lower courts for years, filling federal judicial vacancies with progressive, pro-democracy judges is crucial as election and voting rights litigation picks up heading into 2024.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

That's something that will have material consequences for years no matter what 2024 brings, even if it's only a start of unskewing the federal judiciary. Things like this are why no matter how lovely a Democrat Manchin is and what bills he blocked, I'm glad he didn't just caucus with the Republicans and be done with it. Or Sinema but less so since Arizona could have done better and she definitely isn't what she campaigned as.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The National Labor Relations Board just announced a major change in union law.

The short version is: If the employer is tilting the scales in a union election enough that they would have to redo the election under current law, then instead of having a redo election the employer will be forced to recognize the union instead.

https://www.nlrb.gov/news-outreach/news-story/board-issues-decision-announcing-new-framework-for-union-representation

If this survives the inevitable court challenge, it'll be a massive boon to the labor movement. Biden's long been seen as a union guy, but the kinds of stuff coming out of his NLRB are things I wouldn't ever have imagined - in a good way.

Too bad it's going to be completely forgotten by politics-watchers everywhere within a week, because Biden doing good things is far less interesting for journalists and politics addicts than covering the Trump circus.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kinda lol that it seems like it's getting to the point where the return of the union movement is the only thing stopping a lot of american industries from completely destroying themselves. It's clear Hollywood desperately wanted to get rid of writers, actors and directors entirely if they could and were openly salivating over AI and the opportunity to cease producing creative works in favour of Content.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Great!

If Biden wins, and the Dems keep the Senate, maybe they can get another Supreme Court seat or two from the GOP

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Georgia still gonna Georgia

https://twitter.com/nbcnews/status/1695398227086897495?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

quote:

Floyd, who's charged with racketeering, conspiracy and influencing a witness, turned himself in Thursday afternoon, ahead of Trump's 20-minute appearance at the jail that evening. Prosecutors allege that Floyd, the former leader of Black Voices for Trump and the only Black man among the defendants, was part of a scheme to pressure election worker Ruby Freeman into making false statements. Freeman had been falsely accused by Trump and his allies of election fraud.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

The judge was pretty clear that the reason he wasn’t released is because he refused to get a lawyer, didn’t post bond, and had attacked a federal agent.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ither posted:

Great!

If Biden wins, and the Dems keep the Senate, maybe they can get another Supreme Court seat or two from the GOP

How are they going to break the contracts with Mephistopheles?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Google Jeb Bush posted:

my local mall is being turned, in cooperation with the rest of the city, into something less mall-like

more restaurants and entertainment, and most of the clothes stores are still there because a lot of people including me like to, er, be able to try on clothes

Our malls are being either knocked down and turned into strip malls (I kid you not) or are having large sections of them being bought and rebuilt into health care labs and offices.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A mall is one of those things that's surprisingly difficult to run, from all I gather, and very easy to gently caress up especially if you get greedy, sloppy or arbitrary. And guess what business owners are very prone to do?

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

My wife got a tattoo last week at a mall in what was very obviously a converted Zales lol.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

is pepsi ok posted:

My wife got a tattoo last week at a mall in what was very obviously a converted Zales lol.

Either way you can get covered in diamonds.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if, and have been actively predicting, that malls will make a comeback in the not too distant future.

The malls near me that aren't completely shut down are basically just small nothing stores like antiques (see: old lamps and toys missing 3/4 of their pieces) or cellphone repair, but I'm honestly convinced that before 2040, culture will swivel back around to them being big and popular again.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

The guy is competitively unhinged so this is not exactly a surprise

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Staluigi posted:

The guy is competitively unhinged so this is not exactly a surprise

I think I'll be using that to describe the current group running for the nomination. Only the most unhinged will win, there can be only one.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

the_steve posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if, and have been actively predicting, that malls will make a comeback in the not too distant future.

The malls near me that aren't completely shut down are basically just small nothing stores like antiques (see: old lamps and toys missing 3/4 of their pieces) or cellphone repair, but I'm honestly convinced that before 2040, culture will swivel back around to them being big and popular again.
I don't know if I agree, but I really like the prediction. It acknowledges how unpredictable societal/economic shifts can be. It's a prediction that properly captures the essence of unpredictability. A perfect example of "how surprising stuff is going to be in the future, from today's perspective."

I gotta say, class of '02 is a pretty tough spot to feel much affection for malls. Like, we still went to the mall sometimes, in that teenagery "let's hang out" kind of way, but they were already falling apart both as social spaces and places to buy poo poo. Meanwhile, we had the legends of Malls of Old passed down by our older siblings and cool cousins and Kevin Smith, so we had to be acutely aware of how lame it was to have our fifteen-point security tags removed as we were asked about a rewards card membership while we paid $30 for a stupid album at FYE.

I am in principle very anti-mall from a land use/transportation/urban planning perspective, but land use is already irrevocably hosed in 80% of the country anyway. And at least they're better than standalone big box poo poo.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 26, 2023

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com
A couple months ago, progressive YouTuber Adam Something created a YouTube video titled "Why US Malls Are Dying (And Why European Malls Aren't)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=586SO9-wWoA

It's only ten minutes long and quite fascinating. The short version is, US malls are oversaturated, not as well integrated into where people live, and not easy to reach, which is in turn caused by bad urban planning in the US.

Why drive around and spend 1-2 hours or more to buy something when you can probably get it cheaper, easier, and with a wider selection from an online store? Meanwhile, European malls can often be reached easily through walking or public transportation, and have stuff better curated to fill local needs, so it can be more convenient to just drop by and get something rather than put in a mail order and wait for delivery.

Edit: added link

Victar fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 26, 2023

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Victar posted:

A couple months ago, progressive YouTuber Adam Something created a YouTube video titled "Why US Malls Are Dying (And Why European Malls Aren't)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=586SO9-wWoA

It's only ten minutes long and quite fascinating. The short version is, US malls are oversaturated, not as well integrated into where people live, and not easy to reach, which is in turn caused by bad urban planning in the US.

Why drive around and spend 1-2 hours or more to buy something when you can probably get it cheaper, easier, and with a wider selection from an online store? Meanwhile, European malls can often be reached easily through walking or public transportation, and have stuff better curated to fill local needs, so it can be more convenient to just drop by and get something rather than put in a mail order and wait for delivery.

Edit: added link

This has been my observation as well. People make a lot of hay over the death of retail in the US but it's a lot more nuanced than the average observer gives it credit for. People want to buy things in person, they prefer, generally, to see what they're buying before they get it and enjoy the instant gratification that comes with an immediate purchase. The problem is that most retail stores are a pain in the rear end to reach and navigate, and malls are like the elemental example of that problem.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A mall is one of those things that's surprisingly difficult to run, from all I gather, and very easy to gently caress up especially if you get greedy, sloppy or arbitrary. And guess what business owners are very prone to do?
I watch a few YouTubers that are into the whole Dead Mall community, and there is one guy who owns a bunch of failing malls that they hate because he will just buy them and then let them rot, until the city or someone else takes them off of his hands. He always gets them way below market value and then just squats on them.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I watch a few YouTubers that are into the whole Dead Mall community, and there is one guy who owns a bunch of failing malls that they hate because he will just buy them and then let them rot, until the city or someone else takes them off of his hands. He always gets them way below market value and then just squats on them.

I saw a headline the other day about Century 3 mall in Pittsburgh the other day, where the city is trying to tear it down since it's been completely shutdown and vacant for a number of years now, but whatever investment group that owns the building is fighting them on it, or something to that effect.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Mendrian posted:

This has been my observation as well. People make a lot of hay over the death of retail in the US but it's a lot more nuanced than the average observer gives it credit for. People want to buy things in person, they prefer, generally, to see what they're buying before they get it and enjoy the instant gratification that comes with an immediate purchase. The problem is that most retail stores are a pain in the rear end to reach and navigate, and malls are like the elemental example of that problem.

It was compounded by states and cities giving tax breaks and discounts to build malls in the 70s and 80s. So, rural/exurban communities were building them consequences be damned. No thought as to whether it fit the community.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Turn the malls into apartments and condos please

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Some malls are managing the transition. Crossroads in Bellevue WA is a good example. They basically became a (good) ethnic food court with music, ample seating, and a grocery store.

Honestly it’s pretty great to goto the independent book store, get some kickass curry, and listen to some polka.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OctaMurk posted:

Malls don't work for being repurposed that way, they lack a lot of the wiring/piping for it to make sense, so you'd basically have to totally tear them down, which at that point, just build more 5-over-1s in a better location that isn't surrounding by Death Valley parking acreage.

The best use for a dying mall I saw was what most people in this thread were lamenting the loss of - a Third Place. The mall had a small stage and TONS of seating to just hang out and constantly had events (chess tourneys, cultural festivals) and a library attached to it. It kept the lights on at enough places to be worth it.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Some malls are managing the transition. Crossroads in Bellevue WA is a good example. They basically became a (good) ethnic food court with music, ample seating, and a grocery store.

Honestly it’s pretty great to goto the independent book store, get some kickass curry, and listen to some polka.

are you loving kidding me I got sniped about the same mall??!

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

OctaMurk posted:

:yeah:

Less consumerism, more affordable housing.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Shrecknet posted:

Malls don't work for being repurposed that way, they lack a lot of the wiring/piping for it to make sense, so you'd basically have to totally tear them down, which at that point, just build more 5-over-1s in a better location that isn't surrounding by Death Valley parking acreage.

The best use for a dying mall I saw was what most people in this thread were lamenting the loss of - a Third Place. The mall had a small stage and TONS of seating to just hang out and constantly had events (chess tourneys, cultural festivals) and a library attached to it. It kept the lights on at enough places to be worth it.

are you loving kidding me I got sniped about the same mall??!

I mean, I was literally about to post about the same mall. It's a good mall man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Bar Ran Dun posted:

A difficult act to follow for most malls. Crossroads was always a community space - novelty giant chess set, occasionally used stage, a library, and city hall office. Kinda difficult to be that sort of thing if you aren't already.