Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The dwarf plot was fine but had basically nothing to do with the Nier plot and also you had to do like 10 weeklies to actually see the end of it for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Nier raids were so meh. They were about as middling as something in this game could be before I start describing it as bad actually. But they were 100% worth it just to see how badly the anogg choice dumpstered other dwarf across literally all servers. I laughed hard at that. And also felt a little bad.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I really enjoyed the Nier raids because I loved the vibes and I love the dwarves. The plot is kind of funny because its basically summed up as "a bunch of miscellaneous Yoko Taro bullshit gets dropped on an innocent dwarven village".

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

As someone who's never played a Neir (I know, but my backlog gets bigger every day), the aesthetics and vibe of the raids are so cool I was ok with not knowing what the gently caress was going on with the numeral letter people.

Also dwarf 9/11. Who expected that?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i mostly did not enjoy the nier raids as an experience because i neither know not understand anything about nier and it constantly felt like it was expecting me to start yelling and cheering every time something appeared on the screen, while the relentlessly grim dwarf story played out in extremely small portions over far too long a period of time

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I've also never played a Nier game, and my profound distaste for the aesthetics and vibes of the raid series cemented that I don't think I ever will. To each their own.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

As someone who's never played a Neir (I know, but my backlog gets bigger every day), the aesthetics and vibe of the raids are so cool I was ok with not knowing what the gently caress was going on with the numeral letter people.

Also dwarf 9/11. Who expected that?

Anyone who had played a Nier.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I actually spent actual money on a Fantasia to change my patron deity to Oschon because I think Deryk is cool and the whole Oschon vibe was more in line with what my character had become in play. I also slightly adjusted the shade of her skin while I was there but that was it. Best £X I ever spent and the EW Alliance raids made that sale for them.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I had a great time during the nier raids

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I assume under the orb, Yoko Taro is just the "never stop fighting for rear end and tiddy" dog.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Final Nier Raid is rad but wasn't that into the other two.

Gameplay wise I like the alliance raids a bunch. Getting thrown in with a legion of randos is very fun but writing-wise they've always been pretty weak. Crystal Tower might actually be the best of them.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Nier raids are fun, If I were making a personal ranking I'd put them in 4th-6th place after the Ivalice raids

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think the Mhach raids are the best at storytelling within the context of what alliance raids are. It's honestly difficult to make a satisfying and interesting story in that context, because you have barely any room to sit down and present story, so either you need to find ways to communicate story inside the raids, or you need to take significant time between the raids. Most of the alliance raid stories do the latter part maybe too much, while only a few do the former well.

The Crystal Tower might be the best alliance raid story, but Mhach's the best at telling its story; Dun Scaith's really good at it, especially with the approach and the Diabolos/Scathach conflict, but the City of Mhach and Void Ark have some great stuff about it too. Ivalice I think only does the in-raid storytelling at all in Orbonne, and it's pretty simple, just 'here are the heroes, fight them to recruit them for the finale'; the Puppet's Bunker is fantastic at conveying the story of the raid inside the raid itself, but I'd say the other two falter.

I don't think the Twelve raids are doing great at it, but like I said before, that's mostly because the story is entirely built around the fights. I think the Twelve raids are most comparable to Omega in that way, except... well, Omega's raids actually do hold up to power creep.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

My ranking is probably, I don't know... ShB / EW / StB (raids only, story is hilariously bad and I have Opinions about its contribution to Final Fantasy Tactics) / HW / RB? I agree that story isn't really the big focus here but as I said I like the ShB and EW stories a lot. HW could be ranked higher but anything pre Stormblood suffers gameplay mechanics wise because they get outscaled too easily.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i basically rate the alliance raids on how many funny mechanics they have and how good their music is, so unfortunately this means Nier ranks quite highly for me

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Feldegast42 posted:

(raids only, story is hilariously bad and I have Opinions about its contribution to Final Fantasy Tactics)

If it makes you feel any better, they don't contribute at all to FFT because they're entirely unrelated.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I genuinely don't remember anything about the Mhach story.

It had cait sith and sky priates but that's about it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Main pirate guy sad about the portrait of his dead mom. Antagonist female pirate loses her entire crew and ship, then shows up with a much larger crew and airship at the end??? I don't know. The story was too stupid to follow and the cat monster thing looked so out of place compared to the game's art style that it was distracting. Fun raids, though, at least the second and third ones. Void Ark is even easier than Syrcus Tower. That's all I remember about the story.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 26, 2023

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Cait Sith is my friend and I will hear no slander.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It's not that weird, it's really just a standard 'virtuous pirate crew' fantasy story.

We join some "good" pirates, discover/free a sealed evil, get ambushed by a rival pirate crew, track down the means to destroy the released evil while simultaneously helping rival crew, get set back by the evil when they attack us, rival crew helps us in our hour of need and finally we defeat the evil.

There's obviously more to it if you're interested in the Voidsent and Mhachi, but it's all set within a pretty normal story. If you want those details, here's a relatively quick, more comprehensive recap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp4k06m-qRw

Onean fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 26, 2023

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
It also gives a preview of how Voidsent do things, insofar as Diabolos's ultimate goal is to devour Scathach to take on her power.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Countblanc posted:

i basically rate the alliance raids on how many funny mechanics they have and how good their music is, so unfortunately this means Nier ranks quite highly for me

Barely any funny mechanics is Eupho's biggest failing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Barely any funny mechanics is Eupho's biggest failing.

Basically the only one was the time-warping shenanigans in the Althyk and Nymeia fight, and that was the first mechanic to get eaten by people getting better at the fight; it didn't even survive long enough to get power crept.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Getting revived into a path of a train is indeed pretty funny.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I respect that fight a lot for the disconnect between the slow romantic vocal music and DEATH ORB, DEATH TRAIN, DEATH ROCK, HAHA DEATH FROM BELOW

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Worst part of the Nier raids is the in between quests where you have to run back through giant empty alliance raid maps multiple times.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ojjeorago posted:

Worst part of the Nier raids is the in between quests where you have to run back through giant empty alliance raid maps multiple times.

i honestly forgot about these and yeah agreed. they also recycled this idea for the 6.X patch dungeons and it sucks then too, especially because the in-dungeon lore clickables aren't present on the solo runthrough for some insane reason

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Shadows of Mhach AKA Skies of Eorzea was fun.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Ojjeorago posted:

Countblanc posted:

i honestly forgot about these and yeah agreed. they also recycled this idea for the 6.X patch dungeons and it sucks then too, especially because the in-dungeon lore clickables aren't present on the solo runthrough for some insane reason

Majorly disagree, that was my favorite part of that 6.x patch and I wish all the 24 man raids had an explorer mode! I would love going in alone and just soaking everything in, on my time.

Lore clickables would need to stay though

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
sure, explorer mode is great. just don't make it a mandatory part of the questline, especially when nothing happens in them. throw in a solo duty or something.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

True, I understand what you mean. It was cool seeing those settings with a different sort of mind frame in the quests though

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

I didn't mind running through Troia once again because its a very pretty dungeon

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the catboy adventurer in the rising says he works alone and yet he has the Friendship Circlet. curious!!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

I didn't mind running through Troia once again because its a very pretty dungeon

AOE boss was a fun idea but in practice it kind of sucked

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bosses that are just additional trash mobs are always kinda weak

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Edit: Whoops wrong thread.

Hyper Inferno fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 27, 2023

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Oookay, just did all the Rising stuff since I was busy this weekend.

The quest felt nice, a bit longer than the few last seasonals? I did notice they seemed to cut them down a bit last year or so but this one felt a bit longer. Not much on the yearly poem beyond "You're going west". I did smile when I realized, instead of the usual NPC stuff for post-quest interactions, instead we got Eorzified messages from the dev team. :unsmith: Funny that they compare the server maintenance guys to gatekeepers lol.

The mount is cool but plays Prelude again... I guess they want you to shell out the bucks if you want Answers as a mount music (unless I'm dumb and wrong). Funny that we transform into it but when we unmount it goes away like other mounts.

The minigame was amazing, took me a bit to realize the best strategy is to try and go for the back so it bounces on multiple enemies and you deal massive damage. Has anyone done a full bonus run?

The Louisoux quest was also cool, nice to include some 1.X lore inside the game beyond Coils. Though not having the twins give a word about the grandpa they emulated was something I disliked, but I guess the biographer wanted mostly Eorzean points of views of Louisoux in his final days. The quest does get hilarious if you did Coils

:eng101:: Hey, do you think it was really Louisoux who defeated Bahamut and restored the realm?

:staredog: : um well he was a wizard probably did wizard poo poo

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Is it just me or is Nhagi threatening to join the MSQ? That's practically unprecedented for a character from the seasonal events, isn't it?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I didnt get that vibe at all

besides we already have a catboy, he needs to stay in his lane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I enjoyed both. The Rising was probably longer this year because it's also the 10th Anniversary.

As for Remembering The Past, I, too, had the thought, "Why not talk to his grandkids?", as well as the thought, "Poor Papalymo. Nobody remembers him." :(

I also thought that it was a nice touch to have your character use the salute for whatever GC you're in when talking to the person from there, and just wave for the other two.

My last thought is that they REALLY need to make sure Minor NPCs don't use the same model parts as Major NPCs. When we talked to the guy who was with Lou at the end, all I saw was Thancred.