Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

WARNING: THIS GAME CONTAINS ACTUAL MAGIC.

Some of the roles in this game may cause irreversible changes in reality. You have been warned.

This game won’t have any replacements after day 1 has ended. Please be aware that you cannot escape the effects of your role by abandoning the game, and replacing out may have deleterious effects on your health. Only sign up if you have the wherewithal to see a monster hunt through to the end, or to become that monster.

Lurker rules:
If you make fewer than approximately 5-8 meaningful posts (note: this will be super lenient) per 48 hours of thread being open:
One time - The mod will stop heeding your words.
Two times - Your passive abilities, if you have any, will stop working, and you can no longer win the game if you are dead.
Three times -You will become a stump and lose the ability to win the game, OR if you are scum-aligned you will be automatically nightkilled by the unobstructed player with the most posts.

About roles:
There is actual, real magic involved with this game to enhance the experience, but you will never be required to take action in real life to do anything in-game. You may encounter hints in your life or in your dreams pertaining to elements of the game. Don’t be alarmed if this happens. If you tell me, I will reveal whether it was a real hint you witnessed. Hints will be subtle but will feel magical in nature.
OOC: You may ask the mod up to 3 yes/no questions per day-night cycle about the setup of the game, but this must be in the form of roleplaying about a hint you witnessed in real life or in a dream.

If anything tries to tempt you into a dangerous situation with the promise of game knowledge, DO NOT LISTEN.

This is a setup for somewhere between 21 and 25 players. I am opening signups early because I expect a game of this size to take a while to fill. I still have a bunch of flavor to write and entities to bargain with so don't be hasty. If you're not sure you'll be free to play a game after a nebulous amount of time, don't worry. I'll do a roll call before we start to make sure everybody still wants to play. Discord: https://discord.gg/Mxzn7Yy8x

Normal mafia rules apply.
Don’t post after a hammer.
Paraphrase role PMs in good faith (eg don’t encode messages using the words in your PM as the key)
You can post after being targeted by a day action unless it sounds like it will kill you.
Don’t post after being dead, obviously.

(Artist rendition of the Sloppy Stalker)

This is a game where town is hunting a mysterious beast referred to generally as the Stalker. The Stalker has a number of limbs, which become severed when scum-aligned players die, and determine its method of ambulation. Town wins the game when five or more of the Stalker’s limbs have been severed, and then the curse is broken. Every town player has a way they can break the curse, but some are much easier to accomplish than others. Scum will have fake-claims of this. You always need to be alive to break the curse.

If the number of scum-aligned players ever meets or exceeds the number of votes required to execute a player, the Stalker wins.

quote:

With five or more limbs, the Skittering Stalker lurks in the shadows.
With four limbs, the Sanguine Stalker licks its wounds.
With two or three limbs, the Sacrificial Stalker goes on the offensive.
With one or fewer limbs, the Soaring Stalker is desperate.

Public information:

Keyword STRESS: Some effects in this game add Stress counters to players. When a player gains their fifth Stress counter, they die. When one or more stress counters are removed from a player, that player gains one Lucid counter, up to a maximum of two. The number of Stress counters you have is free knowledge.

Keyword LUCID: A player with one or more Lucid counters is considered Lucid. Lucid players do not suffer from negative status effects. [Stress is not a status effect.] At the end of each day, all Lucid players lose one Lucid counter. The number of Lucid counters you have is free knowledge.

Special rule: Days must end with the elimination of a player via majority vote. If deadline comes to pass without the aforementioned occurring, deadline will be extended by 24 hours, and something else will happen.
  1. AnonymousNarcotics (they/them)
  2. CubicalSucrose
  3. EGalz18
  4. Hal Insandenza (he/him/hal)
  5. hambeet (he/him)
  6. Idle Amalgam
  7. Ignatius M. Meen (he/him/whatever)
  8. Illusionis (He/him)
  9. JosefStalinator
  10. Maugrim (He/him)
  11. MockingQuantum (He/him)
  12. Mr. Humalong (w/e)
  13. mycelia
  14. Opopanax (He/him/opop)
  15. PhantomMuzzles
  16. Pinterest Mom
  17. Punkreas
  18. saladscooper (he/him)
  19. shwiffles (he/him)
  20. Snooze Cruise
  21. SporkChan
  22. t a s t e
  23. Tired Moritz
  24. Toalpaz (She/Her & They/Them)
  25. Zoya

Johnny Keats fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
I plan to roll scum, hard-lurk three days, but obstruct all players to prevent the auto-nightkill.

Punkreas
May 13, 2013

*chews on head*
Lipstick Apathy
Time to talk the talk and stalk the stalk, I'm in

Though I fail to see how intimidating corn can actually be

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Yes

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i'll play

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i have some dry sage to burn

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.
I plan die mere seconds before completing my ortho win.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
You son of a bitch, I'm in

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
This looks awesome, I'm in

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

It's a Keats game, how can I not join?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
You son of a bitch, I'm in.

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

:dudsmile:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Weird I thought I already joined... Did someone magick'd my post?!!

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I just awoke from a dream where a pink frog told me to look for this thread and sign up. It said I would be rewarded for doing so.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

:greenangel:

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Sure, I will play in this game with t a s t e

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

this game is too big for me but it sounds so intriguing that i'm gonna say yes

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

hi I’m new here, can I join in?

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

hambeet posted:

hi I’m new here, can I join in?

welcome, mr hamb!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Zoya posted:

welcome, mr hamb!

Illusionis
Dec 12, 2011
Let's hunt

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Keats game!
:pilot: :) lets go!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

There should really be a list of people playing even if only so it's clearer how close to filled or not this is!

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

There should really be a list of people playing even if only so it's clearer how close to filled or not this is!

Yeah I have no idea lol. I think it needs like 3-5 more?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm in as lucky player #19

Ifgalra
Jun 19, 2023

ooouuuhh what the !!
sure I'll play

should get myself an av at some point tho

Ifgalra
Jun 19, 2023

ooouuuhh what the !!
discord invite link's broken, though, you're gonna need to give me a new one

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

Ifgalra posted:

sure I'll play

should get myself an av at some point tho

i gotchu fam

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I am going to step back from this barring me dying in the two games I’m currently in. I can’t keep up with two games at once, much less three.

Ifgalra
Jun 19, 2023

ooouuuhh what the !!

Zoya posted:

i gotchu fam

you're a goddamn hero and I love it

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
What / how many are we waiting for?

I'm becoming STRESSed in expectation of later becoming LUCID.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Two more to hit 21 players. Would prefer 3-4 more.

Also I've been procrastinating on polishing some of these roles, so the game won't start immediately when we hit that number. But... ya know, trust me. I'll work on that a lot more over the coming days. I want this to be *really* polished, so I am going over these hundreds-of-words-each PMs with a fine toothed comb making sure they all use appropriate and consistent verbiage. Let alone the actual balance of the game, and the flavor, and the [redacted].

My intention is to not have to answer ANY role-related questions at all (outside of the format described in the OP), so this is important. All the information you should possibly ever need to know will be in your PMs. There will also probably be more public information added to the OP by the time the game starts.

Let's set myself a deadline of no longer than a week after the game hits 21 signups that I'll have it ready to start. That also gives us time to do a roll call for those who signed up earlier.

Here is a new Discord link. https://discord.gg/Mxzn7Yy8x

Edit: I will accommodate new players by defining mafia terms on request, but I will probably do so publicly so as not to give any players extra information.

Johnny Keats fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 24, 2023

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Obs ghost, checking in.

Ifgalra
Jun 19, 2023

ooouuuhh what the !!
I am actually going to have to drop out, I was reminded of a camping trip I'm going to be taking in early september! sorry

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

No worries :)

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

More buildup added to the OP

Johnny Keats posted:

Special rule: Days must end with the elimination of a player via majority vote. If deadline comes to pass without the aforementioned occurring, deadline will be extended by 24 hours, and something else will happen.

Also, people should join this! I'm getting more excited now that I'm getting more prepared to run the game!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i was going to finally join the discord but the invite link in the op is now invalid

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Oh I'll add the new one to the OP

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
I'll do it. I'll be the town superstar(or preferentially, the ultimate scum).

I've had the thread bookmarked for weeks. Will I? Won't I? The time for hemming and hawing has come to an end.

Put me in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Goddamn it, I'm back in.