Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Yes, hard yolk guy, you did. Maruoka’s “kids these days and their poor bar etiquette” thing rears its ugly head again. (Additionally, in a country where pacifism as a national principle is basically indoctrinated into kids from the minute they start learning about civics, framing the military as “people who thanklessly protect the nation” is a bit more of a right-wing red flag than elsewhere. I’ve got my eye on you, Maruoka Kuzo.)

Bardiche Hotel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (October 15-18, 2002)

Hey, the strips are bigger again! Except they'll be like this for a while.

And thus ends chapter 2. Starting next week tomorrow, "Meddling".

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I am going to shove Gunther into a hundred lockers.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can't believe Bets said "Hello" to another man on their trip, that filthy slattern

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Giant Ethicist posted:

Haraiso Days

Yes, hard yolk guy, you did. Maruoka’s “kids these days and their poor bar etiquette” thing rears its ugly head again. (Additionally, in a country where pacifism as a national principle is basically indoctrinated into kids from the minute they start learning about civics, framing the military as “people who thanklessly protect the nation” is a bit more of a right-wing red flag than elsewhere. I’ve got my eye on you, Maruoka Kuzo.)

just living day-to-day grinds everyone down so completely that the mere expression of good cheer is seen as childish and rude

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 25, 2023

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Crab Dad posted:

His roomate is suppose to be unlikable but he's my second favorite after Tiffers.

I said recently that Bets was the best character, but honestly her, Les, and Tiff are all better, more interesting characters than the ones we're supposed to like. They're flawed, but realistically so, have more interesting roles in the setting, and most importantly they're not loving awful like Luann herself or, God forbid, Bernice.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 4/23-25/51

Archie 12/29-31/47

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Hey, gang! I have had quite a week! My power went out, and that's why I wasn't able to post my comics. Thanks Powered Descent for catching the thread up with Luann. I might need more help along that line next week, if I can't get the lights back on, but I should know that by Sunday!

So anyway, it's my birthday and I'm in a hotel eating Fritos and sitting on hold with the power company trying to convince them to send a guy to fix my power and I gotta tell you their crappy jazzy hold music could learn a lot from other hold bangers.* So this isn't going high on the list of best birthdays. But what could make it worse?

Check your junk mail is right

Yes, I bought the book. Look, I don't want to think about what my percentage of my life I've spent hater-eading and hate-posting this thing, but it is my favorite comic to hate and it's my birthday and what the hell, let's throw Greg and Karen a bone.

But it's really not so bad for me right now. Fritos are good. I got to take my first shower in a week this morning and it felt great. There's AC in here. And wi-fi. A co-worker made me cupcakes. Here's some comics.

Gil Thorp

I'm glad to see that even with the new job and the second chance and all, Coach Martinez is still a loving trainwreck

Home Free

This comic is so weird.

*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pais41IW5dk

PUT ME BACK ON HOLD!!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Hey, gang! I have had quite a week! My power went out, and that's why I wasn't able to post my comics. Thanks Powered Descent for catching the thread up with Luann. I might need more help along that line next week, if I can't get the lights back on, but I should know that by Sunday!

So anyway, it's my birthday and I'm in a hotel eating Fritos and sitting on hold with the power company trying to convince them to send a guy to fix my power and I gotta tell you their crappy jazzy hold music could learn a lot from other hold bangers.* So this isn't going high on the list of best birthdays.

So has the experience given you any further insight into the Home Free family?

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm sure it's just a total coincidence that as soon as you give your address to team Evans the power lines going to your house are cut. Riiiiiiight.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Don't You Bring Kate Bush Into This poo poo You Son Of A Bitch

:colbert: Which music video of Wuthering Heights you fuckman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1pMMIe4hb4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk-4lXLM34g

god the artwork and cover for The Kick Inside hasn't aged great due to cultural fetishism but all you need to do is remove the Orientalist font choices and you've got yourself a striking image baby.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Selachian posted:

:lmao:

But seriously I hope it all gets fixed soon, Jules Esau.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

OK fine just die already then.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

goatface posted:

He just needs a good woman to convince him to get the medication he needs.
Yeah he keeps falling asleep, like, at his jobs and is never depicted doing poo poo like "staying up all night playing them videoed games" or anything to cause this.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Hostile V posted:

god the artwork and cover for The Kick Inside hasn't aged great due to cultural fetishism but all you need to do is remove the Orientalist font choices and you've got yourself a striking image baby.

Then go for the North American cover:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Julet Esqu posted:

So anyway, it's my birthday and I'm in a hotel eating Fritos and sitting on hold with the power company trying to convince them to send a guy to fix my power and I gotta tell you their crappy jazzy hold music could learn a lot from other hold bangers.* So this isn't going high on the list of best birthdays.

Welcome back, and a happy Frito-Lay Birthday to you!

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
hey if i wanted to read all of prince valiant, how do i go about it

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Selachian posted:

If the Home Free Mom and Children murdered Home Free Dad, no jury would convict them.

riderchop posted:

There are collections: https://www.fantagraphics.com/products/prince-valiant-vols-1-3

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Some of those volumes are out of print, so good luck filling in the gaps.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

fantagraphics does great stuff, but they're loving terrible at keeping poo poo in print, especially if it literally says in the book that it's the definitive edition and is never going out of print

(frowning at the 90s printing of love & rockets, which I'm still collecting, slowly)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hostile V posted:

Don't You Bring Kate Bush Into This poo poo You Son Of A Bitch

:colbert: Which music video of Wuthering Heights you fuckman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1pMMIe4hb4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk-4lXLM34g

I actually thought those last panels were funny.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Haraiso Days

One thing I've noticed about this comic is how vague the details of this war seem to be. We hear about advanced technology used during the conflict, but some of the flashbacks have what looks like World War II uniforms and industry. Have they ever explained who exactly was at war?

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
have we posted all of Val here??? or at least continuously from the start?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Crab Dad posted:

His roomate is suppose to be unlikable but he's my second favorite after Tiffers.

I thought the rule of the comic was that the more "evil" they write a character the more likeable they become?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

riderchop posted:

have we posted all of Val here??? or at least continuously from the start?

Medenmath has been posting legacy Prince Valiant strips since the 2020 edition of the Comic Strip Megathread. Start here.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Bongo Bill posted:

Medenmath has been posting legacy Prince Valiant strips since the 2020 edition of the Comic Strip Megathread. Start here.

cheers

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Kid Fenris posted:

One thing I've noticed about this comic is how vague the details of this war seem to be. We hear about advanced technology used during the conflict, but some of the flashbacks have what looks like World War II uniforms and industry. Have they ever explained who exactly was at war?

No, it's deliberately not real-world countries - it's always something like "the Northern Federation" or "the Southern Empire" or stuff like that, and nobody knows what a "Japan" is on the rare occasions it comes up. And yeah, just as the main setting is very much "mid-to late-20th-century Japan with sci-fi trappings," the war is also essentially "World War II with sci-fi trappings".

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
For some reason I just assumed it was like against Skynet style robots, man vs machine. No real reason why that though I suppose :shrug:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

What responsibilities does Gunther even have?

Crab Dad posted:

It's easy to like him because he gets to do what we all wish we could: tell Gunther he sucks.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

hexwren posted:

fantagraphics does great stuff, but they're loving terrible at keeping poo poo in print, especially if it literally says in the book that it's the definitive edition and is never going out of print

Honestly, they’ve been living hand-to-mouth for so long it’s a miracle they still even exist.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I do love when Fingerpori does Phantom jokes.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

catlord posted:

I do love when Fingerpori does Phantom jokes.

Here are some blasts from the past, from the original run of comics that got me posting Fingerpori here because of the Phantom connection.

And a couple of other oldies:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Anyone got the gif of this gag with the saber dance over it?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The Fingerpori Phantom with the mouse is easily my favorite.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

davidspackage posted:

The Fingerpori Phantom with the mouse is easily my favorite.

Here is a colourized version Jarla did at some point:

Sadly I think this is the biggest resolution available, these are from the bad old days when bandwidth cost money.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 8/25/03

I suppose the MILK cap comes from the same place as Heathcliff's HAM helmets.

Stephen Collins

-

Brenda Starr 7/31 - 8/1/51

And it suddenly turns into The Phantom of the Opera.

Smokey Stover 6/17/56

Spoilered for more stereotypical Native Americans in the background puns.

Everyday Movies 9/18/36

"This buckle looks kinda cheap but I could take it off and get one in the five and ten."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 1/26-28/42

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

riderchop posted:

The Fantagraphics collections go from the beginning up to the end of the 80s right now. Comics Kingdom has the modern strips but I'm not sure how far back they go.

If you want to read the stuff I've posted thus far, I'm afraid I don't have them sorted into a single collection on Imgur because I'm dumb, but you can find them by looking at my posts in the old threads with the ? link. I think all the images are still up.

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 14, 1958)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers