Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I really liked his return promo where he got to speak as himself, even if that was probably a worked version of himself that was meant to fit in the story about him fighting a dark influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I know some people thought the Funhouse match was pandering a bit too much, but I thought it was a really nice treat for long-time fans who are interested in wrestling history, especially since WWE are usually very silly, petty and selective about the things they reference. I never thought I'd see even just a blink-and-you'll-miss-it nod to Punk in 2020 WWE, never mind a specific reference to Moxley's THIS IS SUCH GOOD poo poo story. Cena seemed to have a load of fun with it too, which I imagine played a part in Vince going along with it.

I think it shows that Bray had some surprising versatility in his ideas. The monster stuff seemed to be a big hit with kids, while this showed he could still enchant older fans too. It's such a shame we never got to see what else he was capable of, with or without the foul WWE tinge.

The Funhouse match is a great example of knowing the medium to break the medium and then needed the creativity of Bray (and John Cena to completely lean into it). It's like a great example of everything coming together at the right time to create something unique.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

DLC Inc posted:

insane that without this moment we probably never get Bryan's ascension towards two major title reigns---Bryan going over all of the wwe-made guys, and then going on to put over Kofi for the biggest moment of his life. Also fair to say that without Wyatt Family, a lot of The Shield's momentum (and Brodie) doesn't happen as smoothly. Bray was so fuckin important to so many of those guys getting over and getting their reps in just because he could sell himself as a unique character.

Real shame they fed him to Cena and turned him into the new Kane they had you feud with when you were getting too over.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

The Funhouse match is a great example of knowing the medium to break the medium and then needed the creativity of Bray (and John Cena to completely lean into it). It's like a great example of everything coming together at the right time to create something unique.

I kind of forgot how good it was because of how awful everything after it tended to be. I absolutely agree that Funhouse match showed incredible understanding of wrestling and how to break the rules.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

was brays last thing the muscle man dance?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

That DICK! posted:

was brays last thing the muscle man dance?

No. His last thing was him and his brother beating the poo poo out of the heel Hit Row to huge "Thank you Bray" chants. :)

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
i'm loving bummed about this poo poo. i was huge on the wyatt family, and thought that bray just had that it factor. the booking of the fiend wasn't great, but he did what he could with it. man, bray was loving awesome. that feud with the shield was just incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPQhu7BF0es

also, has anyone checked on rowen?

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

I really liked his return promo where he got to speak as himself, even if that was probably a worked version of himself that was meant to fit in the story about him fighting a dark influence.

this promo fascinates me. the first half when he's speaking as "just bray" has a really awkward energy to it. like he really doesn't enjoy being himself in front of people and would much rather be a character, but the response to his return was so big he felt he had to say something.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

https://x.com/wrestlelamia/status/1695115708085018832?s=46&t=bbVAetI2_DV7aCjhIGsFZA

I hope they do right by him, sometimes they can, like with Eddie.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Does anyone have a link to the GDT for when the firefly funhouse match happened?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3919194&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=128#post503888172

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Not actually sure there was much being worked in this promo. Seemed genuinely heartfelt

https://twitter.com/shukla8175/status/1695138522301386968?s=46&t=_akPFYiqAqKbxYd3RPf4Jg

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

🥲

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

DEAR RICHARD posted:

i'm loving bummed about this poo poo. i was huge on the wyatt family, and thought that bray just had that it factor. the booking of the fiend wasn't great, but he did what he could with it. man, bray was loving awesome. that feud with the shield was just incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPQhu7BF0es

Roman’s blue contacts and Seth’s combat harness both make me giggle

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

100%. And also the fuckers who are already using Windham's death as a cudgel in their insane anti-vax crusades. loving ghouls the lot of them.

So many of them on the 4chan wrestling board and yeah it's loving disgusting behavior

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

the 4chan wrestling board

Guy like me, I'd eat my own hair before I looked at this

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I would like tonight's Smackdown to start with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL_mm7_D1wM on loop instead of their usual "Then, Now, Forever" poo poo, the bells salute for him. Second hour of SD is all about Bray.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the sex ghost posted:

Feel like he could have worked in any org in any era and not looked out of place. Like even if he would have been getting fed to Hogan or in the background of a dungeon of doom promo a guy that versatile seems like a bookers dream
brays the kind of guy who could have worked in 80s wwf, early 90s new japan, late 90s wcw, and 2000s tna. im not gonna say he was my favorite ever but he had a way of making most things work and adapting to wherever he found himself.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/WWERollins/status/1695188103668060263

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

flashy_mcflash posted:

Guy like me, I'd eat my own hair before I looked at this

Even though I do frequent 4chan I usually avoid the wrestling board cause well it's full of idiots even by 4chan standards, my morbid curiosity won out this time with miserable results

Can't watch this right now cause I'm at work but I can tell this is going to be a heartbreaker

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Bray was also the last champ before Roman's current run. Or more accurately, the first of the two titles Roman won (the Universal Title) was Bray's (as The Fiend) before Roman.

never really got that. Fiend beats Braun at SummerSlam just to hold the belt for a week and both of them to get fed to Roman the next PPV. Made more sense for Roman to take the belt off his old nemesis Strowman.

But anyhoo. It's in the record books nonetheless.

drrockso20 posted:

Can't watch this right now cause I'm at work but I can tell this is going to be a heartbreaker

rare moment when Seth's at a loss for words.

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 25, 2023

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
drat dude ive been thinking about bray all day, he was only *two years* older than me, jesus christ. everything can fall apart, with basically the snap of a finger. i know i goofed on some eras of his gimmicks but it was because at his best, i found him extremely captivating as a performer, and was just disappointed that i wasnt into what he was currently doing. but god drat dude his legacy will live forever as a guy who was never satisfied with settling into a groove, he was always out to completely redefine what a "pro wrestler" could be, and its obvious that he had an incredible connection with the fanbase, the next generation of wrestlers is going to be FILLED with kids who grew up with bray wyatt as their favorite wrestler. theres that video with i think xavier and breeze talking about the "attitude era" photoshoots and wondering who from their era anyone would want to dress up as, and they kind of have a moment wondering if there *is* anyone, but without a loving doubt in 20 years, when wwe is still doing that corny throwback cosplay stuff with their Superstars, there's gonna be a lotta bray wyatts.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

quote:

- A tribute to Bray Wyatt

- Rey Mysterio vs. Grayson Waller

- Zelina Vega backstage

- Women's Title: IYO SKY vs. Zelina Vega

- Cody Rhodes promo

- Terry Funk Hardcore tag team match: Brawling Brutes vs. Street Profits

- LA Knight promo

- SPOILER MATCH

BACKSTAGE NEWS

- Several people not booked for the show flew in.

- Cameron Grimes vs. Odyssey Jones is the pre show dark match

- Solo Sikoa vs. Matt Riddle is the post show dark match

- Cody Rhodes vs. Austin Theory is a post show dark match

- Rey Mysterio's match is listed as non- title

SPOILERS

- LA Knight vs. Finn Balor is set tonight in the main event

- LA Knight is getting a lot of time tonight

- There will be other elements included in the show that aren't listed
^^No poo poo

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

:yowie:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1695225575911338050?s=20

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1695227635721203885?s=20

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

I made it most of the way without crying. :(

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
they just had a normal smackdown poo poo sucked. they'll probably release some videos later of people sitting down and talking on youtube or some poo poo like that did when brodie died

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

KungFu Grip posted:

they just had a normal smackdown poo poo sucked. they'll probably release some videos later of people sitting down and talking on youtube or some poo poo like that did when brodie died

WWE GONNA WWE

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

KungFu Grip posted:

I'm irrationally mad about the Terry Funk "hardcore" tag match.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
they ended the show with bray's lantern in the ring and a silhouette of him on the tron over his moth logo that made it look like he had wings and thats the only other tribute to him tonight

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

It was really classy of them to get Redbeard. Good image

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
my final verdict

the parts of the show that WWE is traditionally good at (production, video editing) were good tributes

the parts that WWE is traditionally not good at (matches, in ring promos) were not good tributes

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1695255031237230863

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

KungFu Grip posted:

The Brodie videos only happened because the wrestlers basically threatened to revolt if WWE didn't let them honor his memory.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I would have rather they say that they needed time to prepare for a proper show for Terry and for Bray instead of this undercooked poo poo that was this episode. Do your Terry Funk tribute show tonight cause you obviously had the time and had that video package to go for some time and use Raw to get your poo poo in order to have a proper celebration of life episode for Windham.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Jiro posted:

I would have rather they say that they needed time to prepare for a proper show for Terry and for Bray instead of this undercooked poo poo that was this episode. Do your Terry Funk tribute show tonight cause you obviously had the time and had that video package to go for some time and use Raw to get your poo poo in order to have a proper celebration of life episode for Windham.

They clearly didn't want to make a big deal out of it so they did the bare minimum they could without getting backlash.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

:(

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

1glitch0 posted:

They clearly didn't want to make a big deal out of it so they did the bare minimum they could without getting backlash.

I would hope they get poo poo for this episode of Smackdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They do that for every dead wrestler. Just some video packages around their lovely product.