Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

How are your grill gates so clean? Mine haven't ever been that shiny since my first smoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I always take mine out after each smoke for a soak and a scrub with steel wool. More than enough to keep em lookin brand new, at least for my grates (on a PK360).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I will never clean the flavor away.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

MarcusSA posted:

I will never clean the flavor away.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

To what extent must a space be relatively sealed to smoke? I've got a Weber kettle, which is fine for it, but I've also got a gas grill which has some relatively large openings regardless of whether the lid is closed or not. Is it enough for it to be the right temperature with a bit of smoke, or does it have to be well closed in to be worthwhile?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Good seal is important for holding a low steady temp.

Smoke away!

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

It's about holding the temperature steady, which holes make very hard to do. The amount of smoke is pretty well negligible at that point.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Thank you, that's good to know. In my case, and hopefully purists won't seek to run me out of town for this, I'm doing the Serious Eats sous vide brisket so the low stable temperature is probably secondary to the smoke. The meat is already cooked 36h at 58C so the smoke is for bark and a bit of flavour.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Post a trip report because serious eats is good and lazy mode sounds even better.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Generally, I do the vacuum sealed pork shoulders for pulled pork which tend to be about 10 pounds and takes 15 hours. For tomorrow I only got a 5 pounder bone in which should put me closer to 8 hours, right?

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've done a few cooks now on a soapstone in the kamado and I'm just loving the results. It holds heat extremely well at a stable temperature and is non-stick with barely any maintenance. Does take a few extra minutes to really soak in the heat after starting a fire, though. Worth it as the sear I am getting is wild, but I'm liking it also for fish and veggies. Last night I did a salmon at 225 sitting on there with one small chunk of fruit wood under the charcoal lumps. It was easily one of the best I've ever had with just salt, pepper and a splash of lemon at the end. Awesome!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

The serious eats sous vide brisket is fine, just watch it for Kenji's super heavy salt hand.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I bought a small konro and need help lighting the charcoal*. Am I better off using chimney starter (there's a tiny Weber one I found), or would charcoal lighter fluid do the trick, or should I get a propane torch, or what?

*I don't know if there's a difference, but it's specifically Japanese charcoal, binchotan.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

That Old Ganon posted:

I bought a small konro and need help lighting the charcoal*. Am I better off using chimney starter (there's a tiny Weber one I found), or would charcoal lighter fluid do the trick, or should I get a propane torch, or what?

*I don't know if there's a difference, but it's specifically Japanese charcoal, binchotan.

I have no experience here, but i was curious and read this article. https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...6796_story.html

They lit it in a chimney with some kingsford to get it going and then used that to light up some more binchotan.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Tl;dr I’m invited to someone’s backyard to use their pellet smoker. This is probably a one-time deal. The star of the show that I’m making for that dinner will be ATK’s smoked chuck roast, which is absolutely amazing and I totally recommend.

Bearing in mind the smoker will be 350° for a couple hours, what other bits and pieces can I throw in? Sides would be cool, but I’m really thinking of treats I can take home and spread out for a week. Like, I would absolutely love to do salmon, but I think the temp is too high for even hot smoked, right? What else?

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 21, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Going to pick up a Weber Spirit II 210 in the next day or two as my first foray into grilling (allegedly as a foreigner living in America I’m legally obligated to do this or get sent home), but am I reading it right that as of late they’ve changed the design so you can no longer mount an igrill 3 and are forced into using the Weber Connect, which upon first impressions costs more money and has less features? For a company people say great things about, this seems a totally lovely thing to do. Not great first impressions.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Aug 21, 2023

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

Bearing in mind the smoker will be 350° for a couple hours, what other bits and pieces can I throw in? Sides would be cool, but I’m really thinking of treats I can take home and spread out for a week. Like, I would absolutely love to do salmon, but I think the temp is too high for even hot smoked, right? What else?

Could you consider trying something like smoked cookies or brownies? 350° is about the right temp for that kind of thing, no?

Maybe baked beans, as they would definitely be easy enough to portion out for the week. You could even lay out a small tray of salt for smoked salt if you have the room.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

EL BROMANCE posted:

Going to pick up a Weber Spirit II 210 in the next day or two as my first foray into grilling (allegedly as a foreigner living in America I’m legally obligated to do this or get sent home), but am I reading it right that as of late they’ve changed the design so you can no longer mount an igrill 3 and are forced into using the Weber Connect, which upon first impressions costs more money and has less features? For a company people say great things about, this seems a totally lovely thing to do. Not great first impressions.

Agreed, but both the igrill and weber connect are just not very useful imho. Id rather use a decent instant read digital thermometer, but i dont really do any long cooks on my grill. It usually takes longer to preheat than cook whatever im throwin on there. I have a mse30 for smoking and use an inkbird multiprobe. It was cheap and it works. The app is ok. Something like that would work for grilling as long as you arent hitting above 550F. You really shouldnt get close to that for longer cooks that would require probe monitoring.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Anne Whateley posted:

Tl;dr I’m invited to someone’s backyard to use their pellet smoker. This is probably a one-time deal. The star of the show that I’m making for that dinner will be ATK’s smoked chuck roast, which is absolutely amazing and I totally recommend.

I didn’t read the recipe yet but 350 seems really high for chuck roast.

Edit - read the recipe. I mean, if it works it works. I’d be curious to try it. I treat chuck roast just like a (small) brisket.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 21, 2023

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I'm scratching my head at that recipe.

Smoke it low and slow to 200F and shred/slice - I get that. Mini brisket. That's what I do, too.

Smoke it hot and fast to a medium-ish doneness with a good sear and slice very thin - OK, I'd believe it if you told me that was good. Bet it would be good on a baguette with some aioli and peppers.

Smoking at 350 until it just hits well done - seems like you would just have chewy, well-done meat?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm thinking about building a wood fire (as opposed to gas or electric) smoker. Are there any threads/discussions/links/posts about that anywhere on the forum that I can go back and read?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

CommonShore posted:

I'm thinking about building a wood fire (as opposed to gas or electric) smoker. Are there any threads/discussions/links/posts about that anywhere on the forum that I can go back and read?

There was the one goon in this thread or the pizza thread absolutely dead set on turning his pizza oven into a smoker, but other than that, I don’t remember any discussions about building your own.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Discussion Quorum posted:

Smoke it low and slow to 200F and shred/slice - I get that. Mini brisket. That's what I do, too.

Smoke it hot and fast to a medium-ish doneness with a good sear and slice very thin - OK, I'd believe it if you told me that was good. Bet it would be good on a baguette with some aioli and peppers.

Smoking at 350 until it just hits well done - seems like you would just have chewy, well-done meat?

This was my initial thought as well :shrug:

I’ve been doing New Yorks at 180 till they hit 140 and man that flavor is banging every drat time.

I fuckin love smoking steaks.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

CommonShore posted:

I built a tiny offset smoker in my car thread when I got a free air compressor tank. I can link you to that but it's more car nerd does something stupid and less smoking enthusiast builds a proper smoker.

$.02 I use it but very rarely because it requires constant attention. It's great if sitting on the porch tending a fire with beers is the game but I would do more smoked meats if I could turn a knob and go do something else.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

It’s because it’s a chuck. Think about making pot roast with a chuck, you do it in the oven at 350°, and it’s fall-apart in only a few hours, right? With a nice fatty chuck, it kind of self-braises(??) in the closed environment and ends up falling apart more than slicing neatly. It’s definitely well done, but almost more like pork shoulder than brisket. (ATK’s comparison was beef clod, which I haven’t had.) The downside of the shorter cook time is less smoke, but it still ends up being enough imo.

I tried it for the first time because I only had access to a gas grill (and a tank of propane), but it was great imo. Would totally recommend giving it a shot when chuck goes on sale near you.

If anyone has access, this is the official link: https://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/9685-barbecued-chuck-roast It’s paywalled but there may be comments from other people who’ve made it

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 21, 2023

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Change of plans caused by rain. Friend said “don’t bother coming over early to make it, I’ll just throw it in, and you just come in time for dinner”

Friend did throw it in.

Friend then pulled it out hours early because “she thought it was getting toward well-done” and served it ice-cold with all the texture of London broil

Friend doesn’t deserve a smoker

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

A meat thermometer would have prevented that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

honda whisperer posted:

I built a tiny offset smoker in my car thread when I got a free air compressor tank. I can link you to that but it's more car nerd does something stupid and less smoking enthusiast builds a proper smoker.

$.02 I use it but very rarely because it requires constant attention. It's great if sitting on the porch tending a fire with beers is the game but I would do more smoked meats if I could turn a knob and go do something else.

Please link it. I'm not going to follow anyone's plans 1:1. I just want to see what people are doing.

I'd go to youtube but idk enough about smoked meat youtube to find the good accounts.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Speaking of thermometers, Thermoworks are running a sale to help feed those impacted by the fires in Hawai'i.

$12.60 for a ThermoPop.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

The point is it was supposed to be way beyond well-done, it was supposed to be pullable. She just was thinking of a totally different goal. She would’ve ignored the thermometer the same way she ignored the recipe

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Please link it. I'm not going to follow anyone's plans 1:1. I just want to see what people are doing.

I'd go to youtube but idk enough about smoked meat youtube to find the good accounts.

Ok. Interspersed with car nonsense. Starts on page 11 if the link doesn't go straight there.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937480&pagenumber=11&perpage=40

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

honda whisperer posted:

Ok. Interspersed with car nonsense. Starts on page 11 if the link doesn't go straight there.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937480&pagenumber=11&perpage=40

Thanks!

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Anne Whateley posted:

The point is it was supposed to be way beyond well-done, it was supposed to be pullable. She just was thinking of a totally different goal. She would’ve ignored the thermometer the same way she ignored the recipe

Was it still presented as *your* meal even after your friend decided to cook a chuck roast for a half an hour and call it done? Who does that?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The story only gets weirder. The chuck was supposed to be the centerpiece, but one person (thinks she) doesn’t like smoked meat. So she made dried-out oven ribs instead that were just supposed to be a backup for her. The chuck was served ice-cold cut into small bites in a cereal bowl. The ribs were straight from the oven and obviously everyone ate that instead. I think one other person had one bite of chuck.

The good (I guess) news is that the host handed me all the chuck that wasn’t cut up, so like 4+ pounds, to take home. I don’t have smoker access, but I guess I could probably oven braise it like a normal pot roast to make it edible??

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Congratulations on your future chili?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Blender burgers

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Congratulations on your future chili?

This, chuck is loving great in chili.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Kalman posted:

This, chuck is loving great in chili.

I've made this recipe for a chili cookoff and won it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKNk0tLGEpc

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
This reminds me of a buddy of mine that is convinced that good brisket is cooked to normal beef temps. I mean, 205 SURELY would be overcooking it, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Bob A Feet posted:

This reminds me of a buddy of mine that is convinced that good brisket is cooked to normal beef temps. I mean, 205 SURELY would be overcooking it, right?

sir....Sir!.....SIR! 205 is overcooked! 203 is perfection.

E: also that dinner party is nuts. Why own a smoker if you're just gonna gently caress up ribs in an oven? Is this a close friend? Its very strange.

ZombieCrew fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 26, 2023