Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The Fool posted:

It's not the Quality Focus part I have issues with, it's the IT Leadership part.

Ahhh yeah. I get that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

App13 posted:

My workplace wants me to spend the next ~6 months skilling up on Linux administration and networking (my background is in windows administration and GRC)

Any recommendations on classes/courses to take? In person or remote doesn’t matter. I’ll do a bunch of self-study, but I work for an “Institute” so they are fans of traditional education

acloudguru.com has some linux coursework but its mostly all cloud based stuff with environments and sandboxes to play in.

harder to say about classes, I just dove into linux via a coworker and running it on my system fulltime for the last year.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

App13 posted:

My workplace wants me to spend the next ~6 months skilling up on Linux administration and networking (my background is in windows administration and GRC)

Any recommendations on classes/courses to take? In person or remote doesn’t matter. I’ll do a bunch of self-study, but I work for an “Institute” so they are fans of traditional education

Do the RHCSA (and RHCE if possible) courses with the exams. Depending on how much study time you have both are probably possible.

They’re hands on exams so you need to proof you can do stuff so it’s less likely you’re able to braindump your way out of them. I certainly enjoyed doing them.

If you’re new to linux and your employer is paying it doesn’t hurt to take a (virtual) instructor led course. If it’s mostly self study I can recommend the Sander van Vugt book.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
RHCE covers a really thorough spread of stuff. A lot of it is not very relevant to most environments nowadays, but if you have a background in Windows administration already, the parts about interoperating with enterprise technologies you'll find in Windows environments will be super helpful for you

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ive always thought of going for the RHCE. Might give that a shot next year after I finish up this AWS DevOps Pro cert. It'd be nice to do a cert thats more hands on and less memorization.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

LochNessMonster posted:

Do the RHCSA (and RHCE if possible) courses with the exams.

RHCE is 100% Ansible at this point. Which is awesome and I wholly support more ansible everywhere but feels out of place as a follow on to RHCSA IMO. (I killed the RHCE Exam but am still studying for RHCSA so that may be coloring my opinion here).

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

CLAM DOWN posted:

Big Boss Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GvnvBRcD84

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Just went into the pbx and disabled my voicemail. This is the happiest I've felt in months. No idea why I didn't do this sooner.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I have a meeting coming up with my boss to go over the work I've done with Intune and I am already dreading it and want to just take a nap instead

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Red Hat cert would be absolutely perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks all 🙏

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

do we have an emote that sums up "our fully remote c-levels are calling for RTO"

because that's me today

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

tokenbrownguy posted:

do we have an emote that sums up "our fully remote c-levels are calling for RTO"

because that's me today

:fuckoff:

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

tokenbrownguy posted:

because that's me today

:guillotine:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tokenbrownguy posted:

because that's me today

:negative:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:gooncamp:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

This is better

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

correct.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

This is the right emoji

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

It's hard to feel like RTO is anything but class warfare.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

hey with the constant covid waves it's also biological warfare :)

anyway meeting my boss went better than expected, impressed her and got the go-ahead to start testing things with users. I made a script to solve a problem rather than doing things by hand and got away with it~!

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

tokenbrownguy posted:

because that's me today

Do you work for Zoom? That's all seriously hosed up. I like having people in my team in office because it gives my boomer rear end users someone to physically talk to and facilitates collaboration among teammates, but I also only require everyone in office at the same time like 3 days per year and everyone is 2 office/3 remote for the rest. Full RTO is just stupid as hell.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Why is the term "internal customer" even a thing?? I swear, that kind of terminology just creates a lovely retail-like expectation for IT service instead of a collaboration with your coworkers. It's like IT service being considered a cost instead of a value-add to the organization.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Vargatron posted:

Why is the term "internal customer" even a thing?? I swear, that kind of terminology just creates a lovely retail-like expectation for IT service instead of a collaboration with your coworkers. It's like IT service being considered a cost instead of a value-add to the organization.

Yeah, seconded. IT is about service, full stop. When you start using dehumanizing terminology, you can bet that service will begin degrading. They’re not customers, they’re people who need help to get something fixed or to get something done. When you as an IT person go to Marketing for copy, you’re not a customer; you’re someone asking for help. It’s a stupid term and encourages the lovely “IT people can’t talk to people” stereotype, agree with you 100%

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
It’s not meant to dehumanize anyone, it’s a way to get IT peoples lizard brains to respond to the customer service training they received during HS at McDonald’s for extra money to fix up their Miata

tehinternet posted:

Yeah, seconded. IT is about service, full stop. When you start using dehumanizing terminology, you can bet that service will begin degrading. They’re not customers, they’re people who need help to get something fixed or to get something done. When you as an IT person go to Marketing for copy, you’re not a customer; you’re someone asking for help. It’s a stupid term and encourages the lovely “IT people can’t talk to people” stereotype, agree with you 100%

Other support organizations refer to internal users of their services as customers. It’s not an IT specific thing, it’s a framework people in business school get taught these days

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Vargatron posted:

I think that the entire premise of ITSM is that, once you model IT fully as a set of managed services, you can start to propose enhancements as value adds in a way that the addled brains of modern executives like

vv I agree -- weirdly, we use "internal customer" with each other to emphasize that our fellow employees are also our customers, so they deserve courtesy both from the hand of fellowship and from the hand of customer service

idk if that makes any sense whatsoever

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 25, 2023

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

i am a moron posted:

Other support organizations refer to internal users of their services as customers. It’s not an IT specific thing, it’s a framework people in business school get taught these days

For sure, but business schools are usually filled with people that should be fired into the sun (former business degree seeker here). I’m saying that we should interact with people in our organization as people we want to help rather than somebody who’s buying a Big Mac.

I just really hate corporate speak, okay

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I really dislike it too, and while I am sure this varies from organization to organization, I have never seen an IT person use the term "customer" or "client" for an internal user and then later said to myself, "Gee, that person did good work."

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It's certainly an upgrade from "we'll build random poo poo and hope it's useful to someone".

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

FISHMANPET posted:

It's certainly an upgrade from "we'll build random poo poo and hope it's useful to someone".

:lol: IT in the early/mid 00s was wild

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Another day another explanation that Wi-Fi will always be more unreliable than hardwire and if it’s really that important to you that there be no lag on a device then it shouldn’t be wireless

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

tokenbrownguy posted:

because that's me today

The shirt I'm wearing today sums up my feelings on this succinctly.

Edit: I also noticed some cool responses on the UC/collab conversation that I intend to respond to. It's just been a hell of a week.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

kung fu jive posted:

The shirt I'm wearing today sums up my feelings on this succinctly.

Edit: I also noticed some cool responses on the UC/collab conversation that I intend to respond to. It's just been a hell of a week.

A 401k retirement plan is a hedge against societal collapse.

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

Vargatron posted:

Are you part of my work where the field team is desperate to be the internal customer of the managed environment, instead of you know, part of the support structure for computers.
Just so they can lay at the feet of the managed environment team all their problems. No ownership, only took users.

It's frustrating.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

2 stories from me.

1. A recruiter hit me up on LinkedIn with a job offer in San Antonio so I can finally go back to the office. My simple reply "I only work remote bro, that isn't a perk"

B. I've been getting emails on my very common name about a low-income housing place somewhere. I informed them many times I'm not that guy. The emails are like pleading because they're desperate and the housing agent is trying to contact them via my email. They finally figure it out and say "Oh yeah his email isn't myfirst.lastname@gmail it's without the period". I ended up just calling the person and trying to explain that difference is irrelevant on Gmail, she said she understood as I told her I'm getting confidential information about all these people.

2 hours later. I got another confidential email. I can just assume this guy's life now.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Who in the gently caress thinks in-office work is a benefit that you should recruit around???

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Vargatron posted:

Who in the gently caress thinks in-office work is a benefit that you should recruit around???

managers, cops, and bootlickers of all types

plus people itt have said they actually prefer in person and I assume not all of them are FBI agents in deep cover

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

tokin opposition posted:

managers, cops, and bootlickers of all types

plus people itt have said they actually prefer in person and I assume not all of them are FBI agents in deep cover

Also boomers and extroverts

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Vargatron posted:

Free Keurig and snacks daily and on Fridays they do something special each time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I’m in the office 4 days a week and feel like an rear end in a top hat throwing away those k cups.